Cold Steel, Warm Barrel, Hot Tea

The team may utilize the research station here to augment their equipment. Chemicals are not provided and must be purchased.

Cold Steel, Warm Barrel, Hot Tea

Postby Henry Adams » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:03 am

Henry was having a grand old time, fiddling with the dials on a Lincoln Electric arc-welder that the lab was outfitted with. It was part of the standard equipment, and not nearly as hard-core as the high-end machines he had worked with in his old division, but he had a model just like it at home, before he was shipped on-base. He was working on a new rifle design, based on a design he had seen in a german tech-lab for a miniaturized particle accelerator. Generally, the push with particle acceleration was for longer, wider machines. The larger the machine, the higher mass particles they could push, and the higher acceleration they could achieve. However, Henry, and apparently a small team of engineers in Munich, had a different idea.
It wasn't until the welder let out a satisfying hum that he turned back to his work. Tools in hand, he began affixing the end of a long barrel to the base of a steel rifle-butt. He lifted the welding mask from his face, and a thirst struck him.
I need tea...
Henry shuffled over to his cabinet, checking the supplies he had unpacked on his first day.
"Riiiiiiiiiight. Didn't bring my herbal mixes..." henry put a hand to his chin and rubbed for a moment, before a thought occured to him. He ran to the back of the room, leaping over a folding chair as he went. Leaning against the wall, face pressed to the cold sheet-metal, he raised a fist and tapped out a rythm.

Shave and a haircut... And then he waited.
Henry Adams

Re: Cold Steel, Warm Barrel, Hot Tea

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:16 am

Gerhard had been reading, a pass time he'd gotten into during the dull downtime that had swelled up as the base emptied of people.
He felt badly for not going to look for his missing teammates as thoroughly as he could have, but he didn't even know exactly when they'd vanished, let alone where, and there was only so much roaming he could do before the Respawn limits decided he'd gone too far and hit the killswitch to bring him back to base.

Sometimes, he really did hate that system...

He perked up, brow furrowing in confusion. Was someone... Knocking?
Quickly marking his book, he got up, listening intently, then called out.
"Hello...?"
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Henry Adams » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:24 am

"Ach! We have first contact!" Henry beamed at the wall, despite the obvious problem there-in. "I'm assuming you're the local medic." Glad to know we actually have one. "I have a question for you, but first I have a different question."
Henry tapped out another quick rythmand sleaned closer against the wall. "Before that question though, I have an announcement. It would seem, as luck would have it, that your office connects to my small world, over here. That being said, are you the murdering one, the clumsy adorable one, or the one with, shall we say medical anomalies?"
Henry Adams

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:30 am

It took him a moment to actually find where the voice was coming from, a brow quirking curiously when he found himself in the bathroom. Only then could he actually hear what was being said, and he couldn't help feeling more than a little confused by... Whoever it was talking to him through the wall. Something about an announcement and a question and-

Oh.

Gerhard frowned, exhaling a soft sigh through his nose before speaking up to reply.
"Ve have two clumsy vones, but vone has ein Katchen. I'm zhe vone vizh tentacles. Und you vould be?"
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Henry Adams » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:42 am

What the hell is a Katchen? "Excellent! I keep my internal organs for another day, then! Now, as for the second question..." Suddenly it occurred to Henry that the wall, which was good for little but privacy and decoration, also failed quite hard at being an intercom. "Ach, hell. If you aren't busy, come around to the Weapons-Development lab, please. I need the help of an experienced medic, and it's a lot easier to get in than out." Henry glanced at the equipment strewn across the floor. There were beakers and burners tumbled onto a desk, and bits of scrap metal covered half the room.

This.... could probably use some taking care of. "On second thought, gimme a minute over here." Henry stumbled around the chair, kicking craps and equipment under the desk. After he had found the larger portion of the cement floor, he began to set the top of the desk to rights, when a burner clicked on under his grasp. "GYAAAASHIT!" Henry dropped the burner and jammed a finger into his mouth as it clattered loudly against the pile of scrap on the floor, which proceeded to collapse into a terrible ruckus.
Henry Adams

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:58 am

The TentaMedic sat himself down on the toilet to listen, wincing when he heard something crash and the person on the other side swear in a rather curious manner.
"I'll get mein bag."

It didn't take him long to grab the small medical bag he'd put together, just a small assortment of pills and bandaids for those occasional 'oops' injuries, as well as a few vials of the gel that ran through the MediGun, just in case the 'oops' turned out to be more of an emergency. He trundled out of the Infirmary, flicking of the 'The Doctor Is In' sign just outside the door before starting for Weapons Development. It was a room he hadn't taken much interest in, mainly due to what it was supposed to be used for, but he'd poked his head in once or twice when searching the base.

And it looked nothing like the mess he stumbled into upon opening the door.

He found himself infinitely grateful for his multiple prehensile limbs, the agile appendages circumventing the worst of the chaos as he carefully picked him way towards the skinny fellow cursing amidst it all.
"Vell. At least you moved in easily enough. Engineer, I presume?"
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Henry Adams » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:07 am

"Haz 'ight," Henry mumbled around his finger. After pulling it out from between his lips and silently daring it to flare with pain, he continued. "My name's Henry Adams, Builder's League United, Weapons And Tactical Equipment Research division. Blame the higher-ups for the horrible acronym. Guys behind the desk think they have a sense of humor, every now and then. I guess you would be Gerhard, then, if the yards of rolling appendage are anything to judge by." He winced as his finger called his bluff.
I WILL CHOP YOUR ASS OFF. Mental threats said, Henry recalled one of the finer details of his intelligence report.
"How's that cloaker working out for ya? Had any blips yet? Beyond that, got something for first degree burns and a bruised left foot?"
Henry Adams

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:41 am

For a moment, the Medic could only stare as the Engineer, Henry's wave of words washed over him in a rush of sound, appearing slightly dazed for some moments before nodding, zipping open his medical bag to pluck out a small bottle of burn salve and a bandage.
"Ah, no problems, at least not in zhe last four years. It ist vaterproof und does its job. May I see your hand?"
He felt just a little silly, having forgotten to turn his disguise on. He knew Madison was still likely uncomfortable seeing his lower half slithering about...
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Henry Adams » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:17 pm

Henry held his hand out for the curious man-thing to take care of. It pulsed mildly, as if taunting him. I swear to god, if you weren't attatched to me I would light you on fire myself. He muttered to himself as his mind rolled through it's usual rounds, thinking over his work, his equipment, and the situation at hand. It was at this point, Henry was hit with the powerful feeling of having forgotten something. Not something terribly important, but pressing enough to be of some concern.

tick, tick, tick. "OH!" Henry beamed again and rubbed the back of his neck with his still functional hand. "So, I actually called you over for a reason not involving self-inflicted stupidity. I was plugging away at this rifle design over here, when I realised I had left all of my herbal tea mixes back at the lab. Would you be kind enough to help me out? Let me borrow some dried herbs?"
Henry Adams

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:48 pm

Gerhard gently took hold of the Engineer's hand, calmly looking over the injury before popping open the tube of burn salve with a practiced flick of his thumb, squeezing a small amount of the translucent goop onto the singe mark. A little rub to make sure it covered, and he closed the tube to apply the bandaid, careful to keep it loose enough to prevent pain but tight enough to stay on.
"Zhat should help vizh zhe burn... Vhat about herbs?"
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Henry Adams » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:57 pm

Henry winced, and then let out a sigh of relief. "That stuff really does the trick. Anywho, yeah. I left my medicinal teas when I got shipped over. Airport didn't like 'em, for whatever reason. They aren't anything serious, just a few system boosters and a relaxent... and an apple-cinnamon spice mix for the morning." I think i'll miss you, most of all, Henry thought with a downward glance. "Can I yoink a couple jars of herbs from your supplies, just until I can find some myself? I'd sure as hell appreciate it. My system is screaming for a hot mug of tea right now."
Henry Adams

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:09 pm

"Ah... Zhere aren't any herbs in mein medical supplies. Zhere ist some tea in zhe cafeteria, but I don't know vhat anyzhing iz besides zhe black tea I brought meinself."
What a strange question... Did the Engineer think he was an apothecary or something?
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Henry Adams » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:42 am

"...huh. They don't really keep you very well supplied, do they?" Henry took a moment and considered this new predicament. Ordering more supplies would be a pain in the ass, and by the time they arrived, the herbs would be long past useless.

If I could go and get them myself, there wouldn't be a problem, but they aren't likely to let me waltz out on the next raft, and lord knows when that would even be. "I could make do with some nettle. Nettle grows damn near everywhere, but we'd have to go out into the swamp to find it, and I'm not too keen on that." Henry went over his limited knowlege of regional plants, based more on a category of 'plants that grow in swamps' than 'plants that grow in Louisiana'. When that mental search went blank, he let his mind wander until an idea reared itself into view.

"Hey, isn't there a train the companies use to make supply deliveries out here?"
Henry Adams

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:20 am

The TentaMedic couldn't help a small grimace of sympathy. Poor guy really didn't know what he'd gotten himself into...
"Vell, zhis map is pretty much zhe Company dumping grounds, so no, ve don't really get very good supplies. I believe zhere is a town somevhere near the edge of Respawn, but ve're only allowed to visit during allotted times, so..."
He shook his head, putting his gear away.
"You could get a look at zhe teas ve do have, zhey're not too badt. At least, ve had enough sugar und milk to make zhem palatable."

At the question about the train, he paused, thinking a moment, then nodded slowly.
"Ja, zhis time of year it ist a train. Ve get a boat vhen it ist vetter."
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Henry Adams » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:31 am

Henry couldn't help internally mwahaha-ing as the tenta-medic confirmzed his suspicions. This next part was going to be fun. If it was even possible, he thought, it would be too much fun to stand. But then, there's no such thing as too much fun.

"So, Jerry." A sly grin split his face as he pondered. "How do you feel about getting stuck out here in this rat-hole. Ever feel like you need a break?
Henry Adams

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:06 am

Gerhard gave the Engineer a sidelong look upon seeing that slippery smirk, his horizontal pupils narrowing as he quirked a curious brow, then frowned, gathering up his medical bag.
"I know vhat you are zhinking, und I am not allowed off base due to my hybrid anatomy. None of zhe hybrids are allowed outside zhe range of Respawn, zhe chips automatically kill switch if ve aren't back vizhin zhe bounds of Respawn in a decent amount of time."
He paused a moment, frowning in a more thoughtful manner.
"At least, zhat's vhat I vas told."
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Henry Adams » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:18 am

Henry chuckled mildly. "Oh no, I'm sure whatever the announcer and the higher-ups told you was perfectly accurate, to the best of their knowledge. There is one tiny little snag though." Henry flicked a tongue over his teeth and paced to the desk, opening a drawer and pulling out a small box of toothpicks. After some mild consideration, he chose one and popped it between his teeth, letting it hang from his lips as he chewed mildly.

"Y'see in order to hit a kill-switch like that, two things need to be true. Firstly, you need to be in the range of our respawn system." Henry un-assumingly examined a steel pipe on the desk as he leaned casually on the wall next to it. "Secondly, the system needs to be active." And with that, he grinned again.
Henry Adams

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:33 am

The TentaMedic's eyes narrowed, brow furrowing as he frowned, his tentacles twisting over themselves in an agitated curl.
"If you are saying vhat I zhink you are saying, I may have to use zhat straitjacket I found in zhe supply closet."
Respawn put into an inactive state was a seriously BAD idea in Gerhard's mind. He didn't care if the Engineer was qualified or not, the chances that they would lose their already misplaced teammates completely with no safety net...
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Henry Adams » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:14 pm

"Now now, hold on hold on. Don't get your limbs in a bunch, there. All it takes is switch off, switch on. Five seconds of power-down. That gives us time to slip across the boundary, and once you're out of range, it can't drag you back, so we turn it back on for safety's sake. Same deal when we slip back in. There's even a damned buffer system, if you're that worried about accidents while it's inactive. Thing's got more fail-safes than a russian submarine." Henry paused to contemplate the hostile eyes of the medic.

"You aren't worried about accidents, are you? What's going on out here that's got everybody so tensed up? The air is fuckin' thick with the worry..."
Henry Adams

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:52 pm

Gerhard tensed a moment, a few tentacles flickering through a range of colors before he forced himself to take a deep breath and relax.
"Ve are missing a great number of our teammates. No varning, zhey just... Disappeared. Left everyzhing behind, as if zhey had just got up und left zhe room."
He fiddled with the zipper of his little medical bag, two tentacles wringing together like hands in a distinctively anxious gesture.
"Zhey're schtill in zhe system, I checked but-"
The Medic broke off, brow furrowed and lips pressed into a thin line. Should he...?
A short nod to reassure himself, and he looked to the Engineer, expression stern.
"Zhere is evidence zhat zhe team before us vas attacked, or at least killed in some vay. Zhere is a skeleton buried in the silt out by zhe island in zhe middle of the battlefield. Vell, a skull, at least."
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Next

Return to Weapons Development