A New Kind of Monster (EVENT THREAD, OPEN TO ALL)

The big plot points that create pivotal developments all (eventually) wind up here, whether they like it or not.

A New Kind of Monster (EVENT THREAD, OPEN TO ALL)

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:04 am

TO: TEAM LEADER (GERHARD MELSBACH)

...it has come to our attention that project swamp rat has stagnated
...we are bleeding money supporting [REDACTED]
...permission to test new weapons system against base

....sending [REDACTED] against the teams after the small cluster of red and blu managed to kill the [REDACTED]. our special developments team would like to test the prowness of the teams against a sentient opponent.

we expect your full co-operation in this matter.

TO: SPECIAL WEAPONS DEVELOPMENT (INTERNAL AFFAIRS)

We are still recovering from losses and injuries due to the chance encounter, still unsure of attacking entity's demise, would prefer not to confront a similar opposing entity.

TO: TEAM LEADER (GERHARD MELSBACH)

...once again we would like to remind you that your cooperation is greatly appreciated.
...denial of permission may result in reactivation of [REDACTED] system
...will be sending researcher and [REDACTED] for field test study

...please keep your handicap in mind when making your decision, doctor melsbach

TO: SPECIAL WEAPONS DEVELOPMENT (INTERNAL AFFAIRS)

Repeat: Team is currently understaffed and still recovering. Please reconsider.

Gerhard set down his pen, rubbing a few fingers across his nose before he removed his glasses completely, making room for him to rub tiredly at his eyes. He knew they weren't going to listen, ever since his demotion and transfer they never did anymore, not even those he knew personally. No matter how many letter he sent or how hard he tried to convince them, they were going to send in their experiment for testing and there was absolutely nothing he could do to stop them.
Exhaling a sigh, the TentaMedic heaved himself upright, folding the letter into his pocket and grabbing his glasses as he moved out to find Henry. Best get the Engineer involved and have him spread the word.

Something new and nasty was going to be coming to Swamp Rat...
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Re: A New Kind of Monster (EVENT THREAD, OPEN TO ALL)

Postby Penultimate Pi » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:39 am

MESSAGE URGENCY: HIGH
PLEASE DELIVER TO: {REDACTED}

If you're reading this now, then it must mean I'm still alive. I've been having a rough time, being demoted after that problem. Of course, I still believe we should've taken a different approach, but it cannot be helped now. What matters is where I am now.

In my new god-forsaken "home", I recently just died fighting an ultimately ferocious swamp creature. Not an alligator or such, but something more like a hybrid mix of several different animals. I suspect foul play, in that the creature was not made naturally and by the higher ups instead.

I'm taking too many risks as it is. Hell, I've been a better menace than an ally; that's just got "there's something wrong with you" written all over it. You have to help me in some way, bust me out if you can. Please hurry; they think I've still forgotten, but I just barely remembered.

-J. X. A.

The Soldier who wrote this letter now dropped in into the team's outgoing mailbox, then cursed. They had just picked up the last of the mail, and the supply train had already come and gone. It'd be a whole 'nother month before a response came, and by that time it would be confiscated.

Opening the mail receptacle, he picked up his letter again for safe keeping, then noticed another one. Strange- they never got letters, unless it was from HQ. But this one was, and it's subject was...

...Uh-oh.

Josif snatched the letter up and dashed to the infirmary in an instant, poised to throw open the double doors. Recalling his manners, he instead knocked quickly, saying, "Rufus, HQ sent us an alert!"
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Puffin » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:11 pm

It had been a relatively uneventful train ride, but the boat ride for the last stretch of the journey was far more interesting. He had never been in an environment like this before, and had never been this far south since... well, ever. He did know that February had no business being this warm, and was already dreading the inevitable summer heat. The boat's captain had been giving him weird looks at first, seemingly annoyed by his presence. The crew wasn't speaking to him either, all of them looking rather nervous.

Why was the boat so big, anyway? He was just one passenger with not a lot of luggage, so why did they need such a large vessel with full crew? It was practically too big for the waterways it was sailing on. Not to mention those strange sounds emanating from the ship's cargo hold. With each groan, half the crew jumped into the air, visibly scared. When he questioned the captain, he simply replied that the waters were a bit rough and some of the cargo was moving around. Niklas was certain this was complete and utter bullshit, but the man refused to elaborate.

The medic eventually gave up, and after an extended silence, they finally reached the docks. They were rotting, dilapidated things that looked like they could barely support their own weight, let alone an additional load. Not exactly a promising sign. The crew helped him with his things as quickly as they could, and then immediately rushed back onto the boat. He had gathered his bits and began slowly making his way towards the base, but turned around when he heard shouting and another one of those horrible growls let loose from the bowels of the boat. What were they doing and what was...

...what was that?
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Postby Tentacles » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:39 pm

The small vessel's cargo hold was flung open, and a crane, like those used on fishing boats, was attempting to draw SOMETHING up and out of the hold. Whatever the boat had been transporting was fighting against the crane with a huge amount of force. It threatened to overload the engine, black smoke spouting from the boat's exhaust as the crew shouted and essentially, panicked.

A crocodile-like growl emanated from the hold, guttural and fierce.
Tentacles
Colonel

Location: Falling apart // Creeping around // BLU base // Trying not to get shot in the head

Postby MakesYouWonder » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:39 pm

Aimé was watching the boat from a distance, he didn't know what was going on but it was certainly proving more interesting then anything he had been doing at base. He scratched his cheek irritably, he hated that he had to wear a mask when outside the base, he couldn't afford to bend the rules any more, not without facing a lengthy prison term waiting for him outside the base. Something about the ship drew his attention, it gave him a bad feeling in the pit of his stomach and he wasn't sure he could draw his eyes away.

At least until he saw someone exit the boat.

Smiling when he saw it was a new teammate he put out the cigarette he had been smoking and sauntered over to the dock, grimacing at the creaking sound it made when he stepped on the wood. He made a slight face before walking over to the new Medic with a friendly smile, he came off the boat, maybe he'd know more about it.

"Bonjour" he said cheerfully "My name is Aimé, welcome to our 'umble litle 'ell 'ole of a base" he said holding out his arms dramatically, like some sort of sarcastic game show host.
MakesYouWonder

Postby Puffin » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Niklas was too busy staring at the spectacle in open-mouthed horror that he didn't notice anyone coming until he heard the dock groan angrily as someone else stepped on it. "Vad... oh!" He said, turning around, more than a little relieved to see that it was another teammate. He couldn't help but laugh a little as the Spy nimbly made his way over the dangerous structure and introduced himself in such a campy manner. He was still nervous, but was grateful for Aimé's cheeriness, as it calmed him down a bit and distracted him from the mess the people on the boat were dealing with.

"Nice to meet you, Aimé. I'm Niklas, a new transfer." He put down the bag he was carrying in his right hand and offered it in greeting. After they shook hands, the medic offered the spy a sarcastic, too-big smile. "Normally I would offer you more in the way of conversation, but there seems to be a bit of a problem that the ship's lovely captain neglected to tell me about. Do you have any idea, or are you just as lost as I am...?" His expression rapidly changed from a fake smile to an angry stare as the... thing inside the boat let loose another unearthly growl. Assholes. If that stupid thing didn't ruin the day of every last idiot on that stupid boat, then he would personally.
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Postby MakesYouWonder » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:54 pm

Aime shook the hand offered to him "Very nice to meet you" he said pausing a moment to light a fresh cigarette, although it hadn't even been five minutes since he had put out the last one. He looked towards the boat as he puffed on his cigarette thoughtfully "I'm afraid I'm just az unaware, az a matter of fact I came by 'oping to get an explanation from you" he said with a smile resting his hands on his hips peering at the boat a bit suspiciously, blinking shocked when he heard what sounded like a growl.

"Are we getting animals now for teammates?" he asked a little nervously, although he made sure to keep it from his voice, he hoped it wasn't dogs, brutish animals... he really didn't prefer them, he had faced down those sharp set of teeth enough in his lifetime, he really wasn't looking forward to seeing it during his work. He flicked some ashes into the water and approached the edge of the dock looking over the boat and the crate it was struggling to lift with some interest. "I'm amazed zat you travelled all zis way and were unaware of what waz 'appening" he said.
MakesYouWonder

Postby Puffin » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:12 pm

Niklas turned back to watch the spectacle as Aimé lit another cigarette. "Something tells me that it isn't a teammate." If it was an animal, he hoped it wasn't a cat. Fuck cats. They made him sneeze, and if it was he would have to deal with his allergies as well as whatever else it was capable of. Maybe it was a dog instead, which he would infinitely prefer. Too bad it didn't sound like any animal he had ever encountered.

He shrugged and sighed at the Spy's second comment. "I knew something was wrong, I heard the thing making noises, but even though I kept asking, the captain refused to tell me anything, and only said 'it's just the cargo moving around!'", he said mockingly, (poorly) imitating the man's accent. "I guess while that might have technically true, he didn't tell me everything. The crew was extremely jumpy and nervous as well, but they barely even looked at me, let alone talked to me." He was quiet for a moment before speaking again. "Does this sort of thing happen a lot around here?"
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby MakesYouWonder » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:22 pm

Aimé glanced over at 'im "Hm..." he hummed thoughtfully as he once more peered at the crate "I'm afraid not, and I would 'ardly be a proper Spy ef I didn't show at least a minimum of interest in somezing strange" he answered with a smile leaning his head to the side once more as he eyed the crate, what could it be? It seemed far too large for supplies... and the growling... it didn't sound like any animal I had heard before.

"Zings 'ave been... razzer interesting 'ere of late, but I'm afraid for zose rare moments et's razzer dull, we don't even 'ave battles, which alzough I take no issue wiz et's leaves little else to occupy your time wiz" he said leaning as far forward as he could without toppling over, his eyes flickering over the ship taking in all the details he could, he looked over the crew (only being somewhat professional it what particulars he looked at) and huffed a bit irritably, there was nothing that answered any of the questions he had.
MakesYouWonder

i am mad at everything and i will eat everyone i swear to go

Postby Tentacles » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:06 pm

The crew had finally managed to get the wayward crate under control, the beast inside finally stilling enough to keep the crane from swinging too and fro, the oversized box hovering over the deck. It was stamped with various warnings, in several languages, about the LRG: CLDTS LIVING CARGO that was being held within. More importantly, it had finally fallen silent.

There were several minutes of uncertainty before the entire crate jerked downwards, smashing against the deck. Whatever was inside did NOT want to wait for the the touch of clumsy human hands to free it. Stress cracks started to appear in the crate with each smash, the boat threatening to tip.

In a panic, the crew swung the crate over the water and released it wtith an enormous splash, leaving the animal trapped inside to either sink or escape. Either way they weren't staying to find out. Their task completed, the small vessel sped off, considerably lightened by the lack of their treacherous load.
Tentacles
Colonel

Location: Falling apart // Creeping around // BLU base // Trying not to get shot in the head

This can't be good...

Postby Penultimate Pi » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:06 pm

Patience drained, Josif slammed on the door a few more times before opening it to find the sick bay empty- again. Rolling his eyes in frustration, the infantryman coughed loudly and dropped the letter on a counter before leaving again. Taking one more glance out the front door, Josif became aware of a commotion at the docks. The Soldier took a look at the boat and its struggling cargo, then his mind exploded in a thousand curses as he began to sprint toward the docks.

When he reached the duo at the weak planks of the pier, Josif leaned on his knees for support, swearing to exercise more when his breathing improved. "Sorry... for being sudden..." Josif panted, looking up at the newcomer. "You came... on the boat?"

No sooner did he sat that when the boat abandoned it's cargo and sped off. Not quite waiting for an answer, Josif carefully stepped around the two teammates, the dock shrieking beneath him. The crate was sinking fast, but pieces of the tough wood were floating up faster. Crap... Josif thought.
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Puffin » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:05 pm

Niklas was enjoying the sight of the crew members struggling with their dangerous cargo when he heard another set of footsteps echoing loudly across the dock. "Oh, hallå." He hoped that no more people would show up, the rotted wood didn't look like it could take it. Regardless, he shrugged and waved his hand dismissively as the rather winded looking soldier apologized for showing up unannounced. "It's no trouble, I would just be careful on this old dock. But yes, I did arrive on the boat, and so did... fuck!"

He turned his attention to the scene as the deckhands dropped the crate on the deck, and then eventually into the water. He had really been hoping whatever was in there would eat at least one or two of the bastards before they got rid of it. Or at least hurt them a little. He shouted a slew of colorful swear words and insults at the quickly feeling boat in both Swedish and English, his deep voice ringing out over the water. But too little, too late. The creature was in the water, and rapidly breaking free from its wooden prison the looks of it. "Jävla..." he said, rubbing his shoulder, visibly agitated. "Well, gentlemen, it seems that we're even more fucked than we were before. Any ideas?"
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby MakesYouWonder » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:15 pm

Aime jumped back when the crate dropped, his eyes wide as he stared at it, he hadn't even noticed Josif's approach, he placed a hand over his chest slightly and gasped, he didn't know what was going on or what was in the crate but it was apparent that whatever it was was something to be feared considering how the men acted and how quickly they left once their cargo had been unloaded. And the way their new arrival was acting didn't exactly instil a sense of confidence in him.

Slowly he began to back away from the dock, pausing when he stood besides Niklas and looked over at him "Iz zere anyzing we should know first of all about 'ow 'fucked' we are moisour?" she asked looking over at him "After all I'm razzer in ze dark about what we're dealing wiz"
MakesYouWonder

Postby Puffin » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:30 pm

Niklas raised an eyebrow at the retreating spy and his question. "Well, I can't say one hundred percent for-sure how much, but..." He cast his eyes back on the water. "The men on the boat were all terrified of whatever present they just left us. That thing is now in the water, and it is already breaking out of its box. I mean, if we're all lucky maybe it will drown first, but I doubt it..." He sighed. "Though if we stick around, we might get to see what exactly we're dealing with..."

Still, all hope was not lost. If they gathered the team together, they might be able to gang up and kill it, especially if he could enlist the help of this soldier. Maybe, it was some horrible monster. But it didn't have guns, now did it? Time to make friends. "Sorry for shouting in either case." He turned his attention to the soldier. "I didn't introduce myself. I'm Niklas. And you are...?"
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Penultimate Pi » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:27 pm

"No, we're not sticking around," the Soldier replied to Niklas's comment without hesitation. He was still staring at the water, watching a corner of the crate bob up to the marsh's surface, along with more shattered wood. "Oh, do I have a story to tell, and I'd rather be really far away from that monster when I tell it."

Josif was wasting little time, rushing across the pier to land again and beckoning for the men to follow. "Josif," the Soldier answered to Niklas's question quickly. "Let's all get inside, quickly, and I'll bring you all up to date on what's going on," Josif said, and then followed with, "Or rather, what's going wrong."
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby MakesYouWonder » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:14 pm

"I 'ave no urge to stick around eizzer, I am not zat curious" he said shaking his head slightly continuing to back away from the edge of the pier, watching as bits and pieces of the crate surfaced "I would only dare to face whatever waz making zose noises ef I 'ad a lot of firepower be'ind me" he said shaking his head his cigarette dangling limply from his lips.

He looked over when Josif suggested retreating to the base, however curiosity overrode his anxiety and he looked over at the Soldier "Well zat will certainly be interesting to know" he said.
MakesYouWonder

Postby Puffin » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:21 am

Niklas was a little disappointed, to be honest. He wanted to stick around to see exactly what they were dealing with, but judging by the collective reactions from his teammates and the sailors, perhaps it was for the best. "It's nice to meet you, Josif," he said, picking up the bag he laid on the dock. "A shame we couldn't meet under better circumstances, but I suppose that's out of anyone's control."

Still, he was intrigued by the Soldier's reaction, and mention of a story. Not exactly a pleasant one, judging by the soldier's hastiness. Maybe he could explain just what the hell was going on, since their situation was quickly becoming much more sinister than just a dumpy base in the middle of the swamp. "If you can show me where to put my things for the time being, I'll be glad to hear it."
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Penultimate Pi » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:44 pm

Josif nodded at the new Medic. Indeed, he seemed a tad disappointed, but that couldn't be helped. The beast in that crate would surely rip them apart if they stuck around for too long. "I think you can take up residence in the infirmary, for the moment; our barracks are on the second floor, but the infirmary is closer," Josif explained to Niklas, beckoning him to the front door. "Good you showed up- our Medic has been rather... indisposed, lately, I guess," the infantryman lamented, unaware of Rufus's horrid infection. "I'm sure you can keep up the sick bay 'till he heals."

Reaching the front door, he held it open for the two men. "First door on the right," Josif said, pointing to where the double doors of the infirmary were.

...Oh, shit, the letter, too! Well, Aime was one of the leaders here, so he could take a good look at that. Thank god for their decision of a dual leadership!
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby MakesYouWonder » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:20 pm

Aimé was thankful for the chance to get away from the water, there were far too many horrible options for death then he cared to be around, and although Respawn was a dream it was far better to avoid the process altogether. He hurried alongside Josif as they made their way inside, finishing his cigarette and immediately reaching for another as he listened to the man speak, he had been hearing rumors about the Medic's condition although he hadn't been terribly focused since other tasks had kept him busy.

He didn't comment as he stepped through the door blowing out a cloud of smoke and pausing as he waited for the other two. His thoughts were a little disjointed but seemed mostly to focus on the question of what exactly they were dealing with in the water.
MakesYouWonder

post too slow, i am worse player in entire world

Postby Tentacles » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:30 pm

The black waters rolled, something large just under the surface disturbing the normally tranquil waters. It had managed to finally free itself from that incredibly confining crate, and it sought to lash out at anything...everything! that it saw.

It had lost its quarry, the three voices it had heard out on the rickety docks. Such a shame. Gripped with frustration, it destroyed the wooden platform; an enormous set of jaws rising out of the depths and splintering the dock, the sound of smashing wood echoing through the base.
Tentacles
Colonel

Next

Return to Events