Buried Treasure [EVENT]

The big plot points that create pivotal developments all (eventually) wind up here, whether they like it or not.

Re: Buried Treasure [EVENT]

Postby Puffin » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:54 pm

Madison pointed an accusatory finger at Gerhard when he materialized out of the water. "You're laaaaate," she drawled, though largely without anger. "And I don't know not'in' about no skulls, James didn't tell me much..."

She nearly fell off her seat again at the sudden arrival of her feathered teammate. "12!" she shouted angrily, straightening herself. "Didn't we have a whole long conversation 'bout wanderin' off into de swamp by yourself?" She hadn't considered the ramifications of another RED, more concerned for the Scout's well-being than anything. Still, Jame's angry remark gave her pause.

"Well, if he comes by, we can always ask him nice t' leave. Or explain de situation. Whichever."
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Postby Penultimate Pi » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:56 pm

Josif let out an audible sigh. His cover wasn't quite blown yet, but there was really not much point keeping it now.

"You can save the hundred different insults you have for me. Just be glad it's not someone else," Josif flatly stated, stepping out of the bushes. He was, by now, somewhat smeared with dew and loose greenery. Brushing a stray leaf off his shoulder, the Soldier remarked, "Quite the investigation team you got, James. Next time, though, try telling someone on RED that you're trying to unfold the secrets of this swamp..."

Looking around at the assembly, Josif added, "Because everyone should deserve to know what's happened in Swamp Rat. There's no real point in hiding it, really." Josif then pulled out his Market Gardener, shoved the spade in the ground, and decisively said, "Besides, you'd all appreciate an extra hand, I figure.

"...Oh, and by the way, here's your flamethrower, James."
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:56 am

Gerhard rolled his eyes at Madison, shaking his head as he moved to stand near here, only to nearly jump out of his skin when a familiar feathered Scout quite literally came in from above. Seeing the boy, one of their lost safe and now marginally healthy after treatment, brought a soft smile to the hybrid doctor's face, and he turned from Madison to approach 12.

Only to then whirl around with a startled hiss when the Soldier popped out of hiding.

He cursed, forcing himself to take a deep breath through his nose in an attempt to calm down.
"Gottverdamnnter verfluchter- If anyvone else pops out, I am going to hit somevone!"
With that said he turned to the general assembly, mainly focusing on Madison and her questions.
"A skull, yes. It vas buried in zhe silt out by ein island in zhe middle of the swamplands. It's at least as old as our bases, in zhe same era of decomposition."
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby 12 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:47 am

12 flinched at the yelling, shrinking back further away from the two on the log. Angry people let to Bad Things, and he'd gone and pissed off a teammate--even worse. If he'd looked somewhat less nervous before, that was gone now, replaced by mild panic. He hadn't meant to make her angry, he had just wanted to make sure that this wasn't some sort of trap set up by the REDs. 12 was about to try and say some form of apology when Josif appeared, distracting him somewhat from the terrifying prospect of angry teammates. Gerhard's reaction to the new RED was mirrored to a much lesser degree with him, the arrival of a Soldier certainly not helping him calm down. When the shovel came out, he tensed up, already preparing for some sort of altercation. He didn't relax all that much when Josif stuck it in the ground, but he did send his glaring right at James when he saw an opening. That remark had earned some irritation on his part, and he intended to at least snap back a little bit.

"H-He was ahead. How'd I lead 'im, huh?" he grumbled, trying very hard not to look at Madison. She was currently very scary, and he was halfway trying to be intimidating at this other RED. Being reduced to a quivering pile of bird was not intimidating.
Lieutenant

Postby Puffin » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:08 am

"Aw, 12, calm down, I..." he looked positively terrified. "I didn't mean t' yell. Y' jus' startled me is all. I ain't mad, and y' didn't lead anyone here." She shot a sideways glance at James. She stood up from the log, not wanting to risk falling off again.

"I remember you," she said, turning her attention to the Soldier. "I saw you while I was fishin' de ot'er day. An' don' be mad at James, I'm de one who came up wit' dis idea. I told him t' use his discretion an' not bring anyone who would possibly object t' meetin' wit' de opposin' team. Namely, anyone who's prone t' start fights."

She crossed her arms. "So as long as y' don't start not'in', I personally don' mind y' comin' along at all."
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Postby Tentacles » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:54 pm

Well. This was certainly not at all what he had planned. Not one bit. Of all the REDs that could have stepped out of the foliage...the squeak that worked its way out of his throat was pretty pathetic.

Now wasn't the time to start an argument. Or a fight. Besides, the Soldier did have a point; both teams deserved to know what was going on in this fucking dump. The salamander perched on the log, tail twitching to and fro. And he had his flamethrower. Fuck. Time to eat some goddamn humble pie, apparently. "Thank you...I wasn't able to track my way back to the clearing." his voice was low.

Fuck, all he wanted was the goddamn Doctor; how the hell did this turn into a fucking meeting of the minds?

He was glad at least Gerhard had the balls to show up, it gave him an excuse to turn his attention away from Josif for the moment. "There's more then a skull out there; I went back to the island again, there's a whole goddamn skeleton. Tried to pull it out, but you know..." he held up his skinny wrists. "Shitty genetics."
Tentacles
Colonel

Location: Falling apart // Creeping around // BLU base // Trying not to get shot in the head

Postby Penultimate Pi » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:35 pm

"Now, hold on a minute," Josif replied to the Heavy's remark. There was clearly some chaos and confusion here: two near-instantaneous arrivals assured that. "I'm not trying to get mad at anyone. I'm just a bit upset. Stressed, mostly. I didn't come here to start anything, I mean, I just offered to HELP you all," Josif explained quickly. After trying to keep a sturdy stance, Josif finally gave in and slumped over, sitting on a convenient old tree stump.

",Look, James, I've heard what you've said. You've called me insane, psycho, all sorts of things. And I don't blame you at all: I'd have a grudge on someone for shooting me in the head," the Soldier lamented with a demotivated outlook, quiet enough for James to hear. "But I've asked to hear me out when I say it wasn't quite me, and I getting the impression now that you're not caring much.

"Some people would call that ignorance. I do, certainly, but I don't mean to offend you. If you really do hate me for what I did, say so. I'll stay back. Leave you to your own business. But even more, I don't want to be enemies with you." Josif clenched his face; he was likely sounding far too corny right now. "Just know that I never wanted to do what I did then. Even as some crazy whatever-you-want-to-call-me, I didn't enjoy murdering what I had hoped were my friends. I just... thought it was right, and everything made their own decisions."

Josif stopped, rubbing his face tiredly and looked up at the Pyro once again. It was a lot for James to hear/care about, and the Soldier hoped he did both.
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Puffin » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:56 pm

"Um..." Madison wasn't quite sure how to respond to all this. Here was some guy who just walked out of the woods, sat down, and spilled his guts. She listened to his words with interest, as it seemed like he had quite a bit of emotional investment in them.

She waited until he finished before she spoke again. "So I take it you're de one who had de little scuffle James was talkin' about? Well look, mister, I don' mean t' be rude, but d' you t'ink you could wait until later t' resolve this? It's obviously a complex subject dat would involve a lengthy discussion, and would probably be best discussed wit'out distractions."

She tapped one of the shovels. "And I can't speak for everyone else, but personally I'd like t' get a move on wit' what we've set out t' do. You're welcome t' come along, of course. I jus' want t' keep t'ings civil is all, since we're workin' towards a common goal."
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Tentacles » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:05 pm

I'm going to make salamander butt stop being such a spiteful babby

Well. That certainly was a lot for the Pyro to hear and/or possibly care about. Like a petulant child, he turned his head away, trying to look everywhere but at the Soldier as the other tried to make peace.

Finally he let out a breezy sigh through his nostrils. "Alright, I really don't get the...Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde shit, but..."the slippery arsonist slid off of the log. "...I don't hate you, but jesus that was some scary crap you pulled."

"But yeah, you did try to explain it and all." he folded his skinny arms over his chest, still looking downward as he approached Josif. "." the salamander locked eyes with the infantryman. "Look, I'm sorry I called you all that stupid shit. Of course I got a grudge, you blew my head off, but whatever..." he pointed at Madison. "She's gonna to blow my head off too, if we ever get to fighting. Its all the same crap at the end of the day, I suppose."

It was a stupid gesture, but the salamander wiped off as much toxin as would come off his hand before offering it to Josif. "You're not a psycho, alright? You're a goddamn RED, and so am I. And like the lady said, we gotta bigger fish t'fry right now anyway. You gonna help us or what?"
Tentacles
Colonel

Location: Falling apart // Creeping around // BLU base // Trying not to get shot in the head

Postby Penultimate Pi » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:13 pm

Josif, hearing the slippery Pyro's words, responded to his closing question by standing up quickly, tearing his pick-shoved out of the soft earth and resting it on his shoulder.

"Damn straight," Josif quipped, bearing a confident grin on his face. One problem down, three to go.
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby 12 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:14 pm

He only relaxed when Madison's attention went elsewhere, stepping back again until he was reasonably behind Gerhard. She didn't sound mad, but he didn't want to risk it. He tucked his wings close, watching Josif, waiting for some sort of signal that he was alright. James had, much to his displeasure, been marked as okay for now, but Josif hadn't. The only mildly reassuring thought was that the BLUs currently outnumbered the REDs here, and he was distinctly hoping that wouldn't change any time soon.

It was when Madison tapped the shovel that he realized something he probably should have thought about earlier--there was really no way he was going to be incredibly helpful with this. Everybody else had hands, which were sort of required for using a shovel. Sure, he could try digging a bit with his talons, but those weren't made for that. Maybe he should just camp on a log or something and try not to feel completely useless.
Lieutenant

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:14 am

HOLY SHIT THIS IS MOVING FAST ;n;}

Gerhard could really only watch, feeling more than a little out of place as the conversation carried on around him with no where for him to interject or provide a contribution. It was very frustrating, and he rubbed at the bridge of his nose with a tired sigh before moving forward, pausing a moment to give 12's shoulder a reassuring squeeze before he spoke up.
"As nice as it ist zhat you two are overcoming your differences und reachign understanding, right here und now ist really not zhe time. Zhere ist zhe skeleton buried in zhe bottom of zhe swamp zhat needs to be retrieved und analyzed, und not very much time to do it in."
At least, not safely.
They had been chattering back and forth for a good while...

With that, the TentaMedic started back towards the water.
"12, ve'll need you to keep vatch from above, you have besser eyes zhan zhe rest of us, und zhis party ist already too big."
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Puffin » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:30 am

Madison was surprised, to say the least. She didn't expect James and Josif to come to a resolution so quickly. In fact, she was anticipating separating a fight more than anything. Maybe the RED team wasn't quite as bad as James had initially made it out to be.

Still, she saw that Gerhard was becoming visibly impatient, and couldn't help but agree. When he ended the conversation, she was relieved, eagerly picking up the shovels and shouldering them. "Well hold on, don' go swimmin' off jus' yet. You an' James are de only ones who know where we're goin', so you'll need t' lead de way."
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby 12 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:41 pm

The contact had been unexpected, and he almost jumped before he realized that it was only Gerhard. Nothing to worry about, just calm down and don't cringe at the good doctor. "Oh. Uh. Yeah, I can--I can do that." 12 honestly hadn't been this happy to be told what to do in a good long while. On top of having something to do now, he'd be up and away from certain people who still might be angry. He would probably be stuck with being up in the trees until they went out further, but he didn't mind. So long as he had a clear line of sight to somebody who knew their way around, he would be fine. Moving away a bit more to get some room, the bird scoped out a decent branch before jumping, using his wings to get up to where he needed to be. Unlike his last choice, this one held strong, and he looked almost smug for a second when he was certain it would hold. Take that, swamp. Bird won this round.

"...wait, what should I, um...be lookin' out for?" A question he had, admittedly, forgotten to ask. Oh well, he'd gotten into the tree just fine and that was his victory for the day.
Lieutenant

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:24 am

"Anyvone or anyzhing who hast not already joined zhe group. RED, BLU, or ozzervise."
Gerhard stilled in the water, up to his 'knees' in the translucent green-ish brown muck, then turned to his non-avian teammate and the enemy Soldier.
"I trust you two can svim? Ozzervise, you vill need to go around zhe long vay. I can't carry somevone und svim at zhe same time, not safely."
Says the human mind...
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Puffin » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:28 pm

Madison eyed the murky water with a degree of apprehension. Taking a dip in the Bayou water went against everything she had been taught as a child. Still, if Gerhard could do it, it would probably be okay. Plus if anything got too hairy, she would just respawn.

"I can swim," she replied, "Butt you're goin t' have t' tale care not t' swim too fast. I have these shovels t' swim wit', which will probably slow me down and so does... um..." Why did she keep forgetting these things? This was the third time. She turned to the RED soldier. "What did y' say your name was?"
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Penultimate Pi » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:41 pm

At response to the Heavy's question, Josif pulled his shovel out of the ground again, with a more serious manner and said simply, "Josif." He then walked up to the shore a bit, saying, "What's the long way around? I haven't been this far too many times before, so point me in a general direction."

This would be interesting. A dig on an island for a skeleton that could help solve their problems with this swamp. Maybe help get their teammates back even... But that was still a lot to hope for, in this dark place.

Still, one had to hope for something good to happen sooner or later.
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Tentacles » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:36 pm

what was that? make up shit about the terrain of the swamp? GOOD IDEA!
"The long way around...? Ppfff. Its shallow enough from here." the Pyro smirked. Still, the salamander gestured to the north. "Gets about a foot deep out about 10-15 yards in that direction. Prolly walk to the damn thing from that direction. Can't miss it, its a dinky little island just juttin' out of the swamp."

"Jus' in case I'll try to go slow for you guys. Sheesh." James was still a little annoyed that the dig had become something of an event, but there was no sense in complaining now.

Swiftly, the slippery arsonist slid into the water, disappearing without so much as a splash. The top of his head emerged, along with the tip of his tail, the spots a bright yellow signal against the black water. Swimming like a crocodile, he started for the island, pointing the way.
Tentacles
Colonel

Postby Penultimate Pi » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:20 am

James sounded as if he were still a bit ticked off at his appearance. Not so much appearance, actually, but simply turning this into a larger meeting than he'd like, perhaps. In any case, it was too late to stop now.

"Tch, don't wait for me. I'll get there at my own time," the infantryman casually shrugged. Josif started walking out of the clearing, re-entering the brush on the other side only to come out again a few minutes later, within view of a tiny hill of land on the water. He headed again in the direction James pointed in. This dig might not be so friendly now (if ever), but someone had to break the ice. Might as well have been the more remorseful teammate.
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Puffin » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:30 am

"On second, t'ought, I'm with him," Madison said, tilting her head in the direction. She was visibly relieved that someone had decided to hoof it. Who was she kidding? Even without carrying anything, there was no way she could keep up in the water with people who were part octopus and part...

Salamander! Yes, that was it! The slippery skin, the long tail, it all made sense, how could she not realize it? She had a big smile on her face as she followed behind Josif, proud of herself for figuring it out.

It was a short, easy walk, and she was glad that she didn't go through the trouble of getting all wet for the sake of speed. Upon reaching their destination, she wasted no time beginning to explore it, curiosity overcoming her. She tested the ground with a shovel, pushing it into the earth experimentally. "Lucky us," she said. "De ground here is quite soft."
Puffin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Events