Buried Treasure [EVENT]

The big plot points that create pivotal developments all (eventually) wind up here, whether they like it or not.

Buried Treasure [EVENT]

Postby Puffin » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:33 pm

Madison silently made her way out to where 12 and James had their little "argument" a few days ago. She carried a pair of shovels over her shoulder that she had raided from the storage rooms. So this was it. They were finally going to deal with their little "swamp problem." She had told herself for the past few days that it was probably nothing to worry about, and that there was probably a logical explanation for everything, but even she couldn't help feel a bit nervous as the meetup drew closer.

Making her way to the spot was fairly easy, and she even saw a few stray, dirty feathers from the fight between the two hybrids. She hoped that she wasn't walking into a trap, and that James would uphold his end of the bargain. She was fully prepared to run back to base and drag Gerhard out by his tentacles if he didn't show up, but she couldn't do much if the slippery pyro didn't do what he promised.

She lifted the shovels off of her shoulder and stuck them in the ground, leaning on them a bit. Only time would tell.
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Re: Buried Treasure [EVENT]

Postby Tentacles » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:08 pm

Slipping past the other REDs and the dog wasn't a problem. Most everyone kept to themselves on his side of the battle field anyway, his absence wouldn't be noted. Hopefully. Just in case, he did away with the bulky suit; the thing would only make him stick out like a sore thumb, and if he needed to make a quick get away under the black water, he could. He dressed simply, in civilian attire for the first time in ages. Didn't even bother with the ax; stupid, but the slippery arsonist figured it was the best way to show a truce with the big Heavy.

Finding the spot was fairly east, he just followed his own boot prints and the cluster of four-toed bird scrabblings in the soft earth. He balked a bit when he saw that Madison was alone, however. "...where's the doctor?" Shit, had that bitch decided to double cross him? Dirty BLUs...
Tentacles
Colonel

Location: Falling apart // Creeping around // BLU base // Trying not to get shot in the head

Postby Puffin » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:18 pm

"Easy now. Hold your horses. No need t' get all upset." He was already getting agitated, something that she didn't want to happen, especially before anything had happened. "He's comin'. At least, he better be. I'm prepared t' go back and drag him back here t'rough de mud if I have to." She wagered she wouldn't have too much trouble taking on James in a fight if he got violent, but that wasn't something she wanted to do.

"I brought de shovels, t'ough," she said, tapping the handle of one. "You expectin' anyone else on your side t' come?"
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Postby Tentacles » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:24 pm

"Naw." the salamander visibly relaxed a bit, shoving his spindly hands into his pockets. "There won't be. Don't even think any of 'em have even been out this far."

He couldn't help but smirk a bit. "Can't believe you actually brought fucking shovels...I guess the good doctor didn't tell you much did he?"
Tentacles
Colonel

Location: Falling apart // Creeping around // BLU base // Trying not to get shot in the head

Postby Puffin » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:37 pm

"He didn't tell me shit," she said, annoyed. "Why, we ain't gonna need 'em or somet'in'? You said t' bring 'em, so I did." Still, the fact that James hadn't brought anyone was interesting. Did he honestly not trust anyone on his team at all?

"If he doesn't show up in de next 15 minutes or so, I'll go back and try t' get him. He's probably sittin' around doin' paperwork or contemplatin' his navel. If he even has one anymore. Maybe contemplatin' his tentacles, then." It was a mystery. "If I tied his tentacles into knots for him bein' late, d'you t'ink he'd be able to move properly?" she asked, only half-jokingly.
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Tentacles » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:46 pm

The slippery arsonist chuckled. "Be a pretty hard feat to tie 'em in knots, I would think lady." he sat down on a rotten log as they waited, tail twitching to and fro. "So you've seen his fishy form? Pretty freaky, huh?"

"I wouldn't blame him if he doesn't want to venture out an' help us. Worst case I'll just take you there myself, but I was hoping t'get him out here again." he dug his boney toes into the mud, sighing. "He was the first goddamn friendly face in this god forsaken dump...freakin' BLU...no offense lady."
Tentacles
Colonel

Postby Penultimate Pi » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:49 pm

Unaware of the nearby dig, Josif was out for another walk. He was getting admittedly restless lately; too much weight on the poor Soldier's shoulders, likely. So Josif hiked, this time to get a book.

The still-untouched pile of books in the swamp lay mostly unchanged from the incident. Condensation from the air had gathered on the books, making most of the old pages damp and fragile. Josif walked up to the pile and rummaged through it a bit, eventually picking a fairly dry book. It was a science fiction title, something the Soldier shared a relative interest in.

Josif looked around at the familiar sights. The scorch marks and blood from the battle had mostly dried up and faded off by now. There was still a flamethrower here, though; muddied, wet and slightly rusted from time's erosion. The pilot light had long gone out, meaning the weapon was likely due for a change of gas. Must be James's, Josif thought. The Soldier picked it up and slung it over his shoulder, clipping it to his back.

As he turned around and stepped into the brush again, Josif noticed something different. Boot tracks leading off a different path. But these were more like rain boots, not the Mantreads Josif usually wore. Were these James's, too? It looked like the slippery arsonist was going for the clearing, but was then distracted by something. Josif was primed to follow the tracks, but if James was at the end of them, who knows what the salamander would think? Likely nothing good, but Josif went along anyways.
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby 12 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:01 pm

It was really, really hard to be stealthy when you were white in a swamp. Even more so when you were feathery, and it just got bad when aforementioned feathers started snagging on things. Madison had made an agreement with James to go out and try finding...something, though--the thought of leaving a teammate alone with a RED was not a pleasant one. He was in better shape than he was the last time, but going out into the swamp wasn't something he was incredibly thrilled about. Certainly not when he was sneaking out after her without letting anybody else know. He was honestly wondering why he was doing this right after being lost in this same swamp for so long, but the answer of REDs came up every time. The hybrid would at least be with other people, so it wasn't like he was just gallivanting off into the great unknown. Was it?

When he started hearing voices, faint as they were, that gave him some more confidence. He picked up the pace, not thinking that he was edging a little close to one particular Soldier's path. He hadn't even considered the fact that more than one RED would come along. This was just going to be a routine guard thing, with assistance given as needed. There was nothing wrong with that. Even if Madison could take care of herself, it would just make him feel better to make sure everything went smoothly.
Lieutenant

Postby Puffin » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:03 pm

"Yeah, I seen his octopus bits. Scared the livin' shit outta me de firs' time it happened. I'd never met a hybrid before dat, so I had no idea what t' make of it. I t'ought it was jus' a rumor." She shrugged. "But hey, it ain't really his fault, and he probably don't like it no more den I do, so I can't hold it against him."

The heavy took a seat next to James on the log, waving away his last comment. "No offense taken. Gerhard's a good guy, I want t' get him out here 'cause he needs t' stop sittin' around and waitin' for problems t' fix demselves." She dug a little pattern in the mud with the toe of her boot. "Your team's really dat bad, huh?" So far, she hadn't noticed the approach of two more visitors.
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Tentacles » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:18 pm

"Well...." his brow furrowed. Guess there was no hiding it, considering he hadn't brought any of his team with him. "We're sorta scattered. Our Medic doesn't give a shit about anybody, there's a Scout we barely see..." he waved a hand helplessly. "There was sorta an incident where our Solly caught me doin' something stupid and snapped. Shot me in the goddamn head." his membranes flicked across his eyes briefly. "Our morale is a little fucking low, and frankly with half the team missing...its only getting worse."

"I was hoping maybe what we'd dig up would answer some goddamn questions. Even if it means fraternizing with the enemy or whatever the fuck it is on the books. Company's forgotten about us anyway."
Tentacles
Colonel

Postby Penultimate Pi » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:35 pm

As the bushes gave way to woods, Josif trudged on solemnly. The thought that his own teammates were doing... well, strange things without anyone knowing seemed a bit too secretive in this time and place. Even though it made perfect sense to do that, at least people should update everyone else at least indirectly.

Then Josif heard a noise. Something like a creature scampering through the trees above. Josif stopped and observed for a bit. It was probably an innocent bird, but it couldn't hurt to check. Moving a little off the path, the Soldier gazed up into the trees...

...and saw a human. No, not just a human, but part bird, too? It looked small and a bit scrawny, maybe a Scout. Josif also noted the light blue shirt it wore; it was a BLU member. Observing the bird-man for a bit, Josif noticed that he was going in the same direction as the tracks. An odd twist, but all the more reason to get to the bottom of this.
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Puffin » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:30 pm

Madison nearly fell off of her seat. "He what?" She was forced to regain her composure before speaking again. "I... how extreme a degree of stupidity are y' talkin' about here? I mean, I understand someone gettin' angry if y' do somet'in' stupid, maybe roughing y' up a bit worse-case scenario, but shootin' you?" She shook head, resting her elbows on her knees, holding her face in her hands.

"Guess y' weren't kiddin' when y' said t'ings weren't so good on your side. We been havin' de disappearin' business ourselves, but at least no one's been fightin' one anot'er. De only t'ing dat came close to harmin' us was dat bookcase..."
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Tentacles » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:15 pm

The Heavy's response made him grin, abet nervously. "Pretty stupid I guess, but when a pyromaniac is bored...well dumb shit is bond to happen. He caught me about to light up half the fuckin' library, and then things went downhill from there. Poor guy figured it would attract you BLUs, and last time we had BLUs come running over to check out a huge ass fire it didn't go so great. It was kind of a wake up call though. Reminded me we're on a goddamn battle field, not some kind of boring ass retreat."

"He sorta roughed me up first," the Pyro grabbed hold of his own shirt, miming being shaken by the collar. "But like I said things got out of hand. I don't think he shot me cause of the books, something else is going on with...that fuckin' guy. I don't even know what."

The salamander glanced down at the log, spying a beetle that had been foolish enough to pop its head out of the wood. "...a bookcase?" he asked distractedly, his attention clearly...compromised.
Tentacles
Colonel

Postby 12 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:20 pm

The trees were edging into less viable forms of traveling, and 12 was honestly getting a little unnerved by how some of the branches were creaking. When one outwardly-fine branch turned out to be rotten inside, it snapped under his weight, throwing him off balance. He softened the landing by flapping his wings, but the crack had most certainly given him away--so much for stealth. 12 scowled at the branch, prodding it with a talon and shaking his head. Honestly, he should be a better judge of branches by now, after his stint roaming the swamps and everything. At least he hadn't knocked his head in anything on the way down.

He looked around a little cautiously, knowing that he was closer to where the voices had come from. What he didn't expect to see was Josif, the RED moving towards the meeting place as well on his own. He froze, feathers rising and staring directly at the Soldier. There was no way he hadn't been seen, especially not with his wonderful demonstration of climbing prowess right there. He gradually shook the deer-in-the-headlights feeling off, backing up slowly at first before turning around and making a break for where Madison was. He'd heard her somewhere near here, he knew it--he'd just have to find her before that new RED did.
Lieutenant

Postby Puffin » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:38 pm

"You were burnin' books? Now why de hell would y' go an' do somet'in' terrible like dat? Granted, dat don't warrant shootin' someone in de head, but I mean really..." That revelation really rustled her jimmies. She loved books. She would never even harm one unless it was absolutely necessary. "If y' didn't want dem, y' shoulda given 'em t' me. Besides, de swamp's full of flammable gas, that's a stupid t'ing t' do."

She was too caught up in her own indignation to pay attention to the part about the Soldier's problems, nor did she initially realize that her companion's attention was drifting. "Knowledge is power. In fact, it's so powerful it nearly killed me an' Gerhard recently, when his bookcase decided it was gonna try an' kill us. But den he got all his stupid paperwork all over de floor. Gave his lower half all sorts of paper cuts, an' we spent hours... James, what de hell are y' doin?"

The realization that the Pyro wasn't listening forced her to snap out of her own ramblings. She heard the distant snapping of tree branches, and the sound of someone running over the soft earth. It sounded like feet. "Someone's comin'."
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Tentacles » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:34 pm

James had only been half listening to her scold him about the books, too distracted to counter that books made wonderful kindling.

"Someone's coming?" he looked up, his predatory revery broken. His internal ears pricked too at the sound of feet coming towards them. The slippery arsonist slid off the log, squatting down on the other side of it, as if to use it for cover.
Tentacles
Colonel

Postby Penultimate Pi » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:20 am

Josif hadn't heard much, but what he had heard was James's entire recollection of the incident to the BLU Heavy. She was familiar, but not someone Josif had entirely memorized. The Soldier, too, was hearing the incoming footsteps, while in the meantime crouched hidden in the brush. A brief knowledge of shortcuts had brought Josif to the new clearing's edge faster that the Scout, miraculously, and he had been tucked out of sight spying on the arsonist and Heavy. With the helmet, flamethrower and book in his possession, that was harder than it seemed.

At first, Josif didn't know what to think. From what he could tell, James was sharing possibly personal information with the enemy, but it also seemed that BLU was having problems, too. The shovels were strange, too; did they intend to go on a dig?

Guess I'll find out soon enough, one way or another, Josif thought as the footsteps plodded ever closer. Let's just hope I can use my own shovel the way I'd prefer.
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:38 pm

A short ways away, where the ground slid off into the swampy, silt clouded water, a few bubbles broke the surface, barely audible but forecasting the appearance of a dark haired head peeking in on the odd little gathering. Blue eyes darted up and down the bank, making sure there was only the one RED, before Gerhard lifted himself out of the water.

He hadn't really gotten any details on this venture, having been distracted when Madison mentioned the incident with 12 and one of the RED Pyros, but he'd heard the name 'James' and figured it was time to scuttle out of the safe haven of his Infirmary once again.
If this was about what he thought it was about...

The TentaMedic slithered up from around a few water logged cypress trunks, swiping his hair out of his face as he approached the group, as close to in the buff one could get with the lower half of an octopus.
"Hallo James, Madison. I trust zhat zhis meeting ist about zhe skull, ja?"
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby 12 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:07 pm

12 did not arrive in any kind of quiet manner, almost bowling over a smaller log as he stopped abruptly to avoid smashing into Gerhard. To his credit, he managed to keep his balance, though he looked absolutely ridiculous in doing so. He backed up to give the Medic some space, taken sort of off-guard by Gerhard's tentacles. He'd seen them before, yes, but that didn't really make it any less surprising. The Medic just seemed so normal...it was hard sometimes to remember that they were in the same proverbial boat.

"S--Sorry for just kinda bargin' in here but there's another RED somewhere around here and I was kinda followin' Madison, sorry for that, and I j-just thought you should know. About the RED. Yeah." He took a deep breath and let it out in a quick huff, fidgeting nervously. He hadn't talked that fast in a while, and certainly not that much at once. Hopefully, they'd still get what he was trying to say.
Lieutenant

Postby Tentacles » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:39 pm

"Yeah, you can say that Gerhard. Its probably nothin' but you know...might answer some questions about the missing." the slippery arsonist sighed. "Madison was tellin' me that-"

The arrival of the bird boy interrupted him. "A RED..!?" the salamander hissed. His black eyes darted about, looking through the trees for any sign. "You moron, you probably lead whoever the fuck it was straight here!"
Tentacles
Colonel

Next

Return to Events