ARRIVAL PART II (DAY 3)

Run by: James Whillhoft

Moderator: Tentacles

ARRIVAL PART II (DAY 3)

Postby Tentacles » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:22 pm

Amadeus the Attendant was NOT happy.

The sun had already set for the last time over the desolate land. It was dangerous...even suicidal...to be flying out additional team members in these conditions. The base could use the extra members to even the sides and populate the battles, but he didn't want them to arrive as bloody chunks. Frozen bloody chunks. The Companies on the other end of the radio simply did not care.

Frostbite's Attendant decided to take it upon himself to help land the single engine monster land. With the flood lights on, causing steam to float up from the ground, Amadeus cut an intimidating figure that could be seen clearly by the hapless passengers of the flying metal trash can. The former pyro's hazard suit was bright white, his class insignia grey to signal that this unit was neutral. He stood, easily, seven feet tall, perhaps more. And his idea for flagging down the drunken pilot was to wave his thrower in the air. So an under lit, monster of a pyromanic was greeting Frostbite's newest recruits. This day was a good day.

When the grain alcohol drowned moron finally did land the rattling death machine, it was the same for the prior recruits; get off, get abandoned, you're on your own. The sky was pitch black, and save for the circle of lights that illuminated the monolithic base, it looked as if the buildings were floating in the middle of a endless void. Or something, if you're feeling poetic.

Over the howling of the wind, the attendant began to shout. "COME ON COME ON - ITS NOT SAFE OUTSIDE HERAH. GUT TO YOUR RESPECTIVE BASES."
Tentacles
Colonel

Location: Falling apart // Creeping around // BLU base // Trying not to get shot in the head

Re: ARRIVAL PART II (DAY 3)

Postby Anu Laar » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:56 pm

"Finally, I get this man on phone for transfer, later in office, he tells me I am going to Alaska. I do not know this Alaska, so I ask him, is it nice? Very pretty he tells me. I knew something was not right," he said, to anybody that would listen, as the plane began to land. He had to talk a bit above the noise, but he had the lungs for it.

Anu was just happy to be travelling a little, dismal destination and dubious conveyance and all. Pack between his knees, he cut a bohemian figure in the plane; all wrapped up in a jumble of knitted items with his long coat. Through the ride, his gloves were off, revealing rings on almost every finger, fingers that kept fiddling with things.

"So I reach over desk and grab tie, and I ask him what is so funny?" he continued, reaching out his own hand to mimic what he'd done to the weaselly clerk. "So he tells me about Alaska. I see pictures, is true," he confirmed with a shrug. "Very pretty. But I am coming from desert base! I deserve raise for this, but do I get? No."

Not that he could see any of it from the windows, or all around him as he stepped out into the dark. Cold and dark. At least he shut up long enough to listen to the big man in the white. "Hazard pay, anybody smart to negotiate this to contract?"
Anu Laar
Mercenary

Postby Connal Reid » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:25 pm

Connal had decided to go ahead and wear his class uniform for the ride over. Sure, he had pretty warm clothes on underneath, and a couple of pairs of socks, because he wasn't completely ignorant of just how cold Alaska might get in winter. For the moment, he had his mask pushed up, sitting on the top of his head, so he would be able to talk more easily. It was probably a good thing he was going to a place so notoriously chilly, he wasn't sure he'd be able to get used to the suit otherwise.

Having a RED on the plane was weird. If it wasn't for the fact that it seemed like only the most drunk and crazy of pilots would fly this far out, he might find it suspicious that two warring companies would charter the same flight. Thankfully, ignoring his soon to be enemy was proving to be fairly effortless, thanks to the fact his new teammate didn't seem to ever stop talking. The Pyro listened to the man while playing with his lighter, so he had something to focus on with his ears and his eyes, since outside it just looked black.

It didn't take long for him to follow the Spy out of the plane, one hand carrying a duffel bag and the other holding his mask so it wouldn't blow away. The large, white-colored Pyro was a bit of a surprise. He'd never heard about anyone changing teams, let alone dropping both teams but still staying in the fight. Or maybe he wasn't part of the fight at all and just yelled at people? Who knew. Then he heard the other BLU talking about hazard pay. "Dude, I'm from Michigan," he deadpanned. "All this means to me is I don' gotta worry about goin' snow-blind." Then he pulled his mask down over his face, and started the walk towards the Builder's League base, giving a short wave to the Pyro in white in appreciation.
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Tihun - BLU Heavy Hyena Bitch
Connal Reid
Colonel

Location: Just follow the sound of the music.//Somewhere, idk

Postby 12 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:35 pm

The plane ride had been an unnecessarily strenuous experience, and Kurt had been on edge pretty much the entire time. He was the only RED getting sent out there on this flight, so it seemed--well, it was fitting after his 'incident'. He'd bundled up a ridiculous amount, with a thickly-lined winter jacket and what he'd been told were winterized versions of his usual work gloves layered over thermal wear. The Texan was not used to cold in the slightest, and being shipped out to the frozen end of nowhere was something that he really hadn't been expecting. Of course, he really should've. It wasn't like he'd had any luck before this, so why would that have changed after he'd messed up worse? He had a few big problems with the ride aside from that, and they were really big ones. First off, the pilot was drunk. That was just terrible. Second, he was not drunk, which he was pretty sure would have made this entire ride a heck of a lot more tolerable. Third, he was the only RED. There were very few words to describe how uncomfortable that was. And so he'd just burrowed into his gear, pushing his goggles down over his eyes, tugging up his bandana, and tried to sleep. This worked for a majority of the ride, but when they were getting close to the base, he'd woken up, winding up just taking a moment to reassess his life and his choices. There were very few things that he would consider worth this ride, and his employment was not really one of them.

When the plane landed, it was all he could do to not just kiss the snow. Kurt grabbed his bags and scrambled out as quickly as possible, avoiding the BLUs as best he could and making a beeline to what he thought was RED base. It turned out to be just that, thankfully; he didn't want to get lost out here. The problem was that the door appeared to be locked, and he couldn't see any REDs nearby. Why would they even be out? It was snowing like crazy and way too cold out here. Kurt looked up at the base, gritting his teeth and frowning worriedly. He banged on the door with a gloved hand, shifting his weight from one foot to the other in an attempt to keep himself warm. After another few seconds, he turned and scanned the area, muttering some not-curses under his breath at the lack of RED around. Should he start yelling at the people inside? Were there even people inside? Only one way to find out.

After setting his bags down, he cupped his hands around his mouth and took a deep breath. "HEY. IF'N Y'ALL WANNA HAVE A LIVE ENGIE INSTEAD'A A FROZEN ONE, YOU MIGHT WANNA LEMME IN." he yelled, dropping his hands and tucking them to his sides immediately after. "Gatdang HQ, why'd they even send me out here--"
Lieutenant

Postby Penultimate Pi » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:06 pm

Josif's day was rather uneventful, if you could call not trying to freeze to death uneventful. Of course, it was getting into the later hours, and he easily could've been heading off to bed and shivering himself to sleep again. But he liked to admit his thermalized uniform was much more comfortable that those rather cold bunks the mercenaries were expected to lay down on.

So there he was, tinkering at the PA system with numbing fingered, trying to wire up the old ham radio to it. If Josif's idea worked, then ideally all the wall speakers would be connected to the radio, allowing for communication throughout the base. Of course, it was far more that tricky to get all of the wires and plates and circuits hooked up right. If it wasn't done quick, he'd be stuck with a bunch of super-chilled electronics lying around, which were entirely useless.

Then he heard a knock on the large, vault door. It was faint, in comparison to the roaring wind outside, but he heard it. Even as the annoyed Engineer outside began yelling rhetorical options to whomever could listen, Josif took his time getting up. An Engineer, eh? Maybe the poor bastard outside could start making himself useful as soon as he walked in. Josif unlocked the vault door and opened it just enough for a human to squeeze through, the freezing air and snow blasting through and pelting the grimacing Soldier's face.

"IF YOU DON"T WANNA BE A FROZEN ENGIE, GET THE HELL IN NOW!" Josif yelled out into the tundra, his annoyance at having to open up to the arctic outside quite clear.
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Anu Laar » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:38 pm

Anu shouldered his pack and went along with his teammate; the RED took off awfully quickly, they might as well get indoors as quickly as possible, too. Damn it was cold.

"I do not know where this Mich'gan is, anyway. I knew things of America before coming to be, I did, so much of this ice and snow was a thing I did not. Could stay back in Estonia for this. Soviet Union, jah, very cold in winter." Cold place to be homeless.

He did, after a moment, give in to the need to cover his mouth, and all the bottom of his face, with one of the two scarves around his neck. At least it wasn't much further, he needed a toilet and something hot to drink.
Anu Laar
Mercenary

Postby Connal Reid » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:53 pm

Not having really talked to anyone outside of America (or outside of Michigan itself, for that matter), it seemed to Connal like such an alien thing to not know where it was. He tilted his head to the side a bit and asked, "Whrr's Rrstnniah?" Wow, he knew that was going to sound like garbled nonsense. The irony of thinking it weird that this guy didn't know where Michigan was and then asking where Estonia was went right over the Pyro's head.

It was definitely a good thing they reached the base entrance when they did. The snow that landed on the lenses of the mask was making it more and more difficult to see. "HRRROWWW!" he shouted, bringing up a fist to bang against the door. As much as he still liked to play in the snow now and again, Connal at least had enough sense to know when to stay indoors. This was definitely a time to be inside.
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Connal Reid
Colonel

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:27 pm

Jericho was napping.
Not something he preferred to do, but with the cold and small space and so little to be done...
Well, a nap wrapped up in blankets in the warmest accessible room of the base seemed nothing but logical.
Funny how the kitchen was warmer than the bedrooms, though. Maybe due to its proximity to the Resupply and the Respawn machine, locked down for the moment due to the lack of battle. If he'd been able to get into the Resupply, he'd be in there, he could feel how much warmer it was beyond those heavy doors, keeping the most vital machinery from freezing up and malfunctioning.
God, what he'd give to be properly warm...

Of course, being out in the kitchen rather than in a separate room meant that an open front door made for an abruptly frozen and pissed of hybrid.
"CLOSE THE FUCKING DOOR, THAT'S COLD!!"
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby 12 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:04 am

Kurt didn't need to be told twice, and he practically tossed his luggage inside before hurrying in and closing the door behind him. He brushed the snow off his shoulders first, taking the opportunity to get a good look at who had let him in. A Soldier, judging by the uniform, and one that could definitely yell. Well, maybe he wasn't going to be doing that all the time? He sure hoped not. The crazy screaming rocket hoppers were the worst out of that class, and he didn't feel like tangling with one right about now. He pushed his goggles up to his forehead, fully aware of the red ring they left in their wake and how he probably was looking fairly disheveled. Well, too bad. He could mess with that later.

"Sorry 'bout th' yellin', now. Wasn' entirely sure there was even anybody out here." He snorted, shaking his head before offering a hand for a handshake. "Kurt Clayton. Already said I was 'n Engineer, so I guess that takes that out'a th' 'quation." Kurt pulled his bandana down after he was done, soon after flicking his hood back over his shoulders. "S'real nice t' be out'a that dang plane. W's only BLUs an' a drunk pilot up 'ere. W's gettin' a l'il worried!" Worried enough to not affect his ability to go ahead and sleep, yeah, but that wasn't really the point. He deigned not to mention that. "So, uh, who all'm I out 'ere with...?" Introductions were always nice, and right now was pretty much the best time to do them, in his opinion.
Lieutenant

Postby Penultimate Pi » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:58 pm

Josif breathed a small sigh of relief when the blast door was shut, allowing the colder, outside air to filter out. Then he took a good look at the Engineer. He had apparently decked himself out in a lot of winter gear, as if he expected the owrst out of this environment (which was good thinking). As he lifted off his hood and goggles, Josif saw the redness developing there, and hoped he hadn't been keeping the Engineer waiting for too long. Seeing the newcomer offer a hand, Josif took it firmly and shook it, the two men's scarce warmth pooling together for a moment.

"Josif Arcson," the Soldier said after the Engie introduced himself. "Don't worry about the the yelling, it IS that damn cold out there." Josif continued with a chuckle. At the mention of Kurt's obviously poor experience with the ride to Frostbite, the Soldier let out a full laugh, saying, "Well, if your flight was anything like mine, I'd say only the most drunk of pilots would bother flying mercenaries up here in the dead of winter."

Josif clapped a hand on the Engie's shoulder, leading him further into the chilled base. In response to Kurt's question, he said, "Only a few others; me, a Medic and this... weird, man-animal hybrid or something." Passing by the sparse kitchen, Josif noted the chimera right there, trying to snuggle himself warmly in a slew of blankets. "Speak of the devil, he's right there. Hey Jericho, we've got a new teammate!"
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:14 pm

The chimera poked his nose out of hiding, struggling to get back the warmth he'd lost when the door was opened, and glared unhappily at the newcomer. Stupid new people making him COLD-!
Still, Josif was obviously trying to be nice, so he was probably supposed to be at least somewhat inviting...
Heaving a gruff sigh, Jericho shuffled a bit, an ear flicking blanket out of his face. He looked the man over as best he could, nostrils flaring.
"...You smell like oil."
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Puffin » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:41 pm

Madison did hear the call from the other side of the door. She heard the plane land, too. How could she not? That old clunker was louder than Mardi Gras. God, what she wouldn't give for the hot Louisiana weather right now. But like so many others, she hadn't been taking the cold weather well.

Cursing the fact that she had wanted to see snow for the first time, she wrapped herself up in a coat and scarf while pulling her had down closer over her ears. Pushing against the wind, she opened the door, cupping a hand to her mouth and calling into the snow.

"Y'all have fifteen seconds t' get yourselves inside before I close dis door and leave y' out dere!"

~

At the opposite base, Niklas did wince a bit at the blast of cold air, but not nearly as much as Jericho had. He felt bad for the chimera, really, but he didn't think it was that bad. Life in northern Sweden had prepared him for this.

Instead, he stick his head out of the kitchen doorway, sipping his coffee and waving at the newcomer. "And I am the medic. Hallå."
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Postby 12 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:23 pm

Oh. Hybrids. Uh, he hadn't really gotten a lot of experience with those--hopefully, he'd managed to hide his surprise well enough. It wouldn't do to offend one of the few teammates he had out here within the first five minutes of getting in base. He was going to be out here for a long time, as were the rest of them, and making enemies was clearly not an option. After another second, he seemed to remember what talking was, blinking a bit before speaking. "Well, better oil'n what th' pilot smelled like." He cracked a slightly uncertain grin, not entirely sure if he should try to give the hybrid a handshake or what. When the Medic stuck his head out, he waved back, turning a bit to face him. Okay, he wasn't the tallest person at this base, either. It just would've been awkward if an Engineer was, anyway--Kurt knew full well that his class seemed to have a stereotype of tiny heights. He did represent one common saying: everything's bigger in Texas. It was kind of weird how so many of the Texan Engies didn't, though.

"Howdy, Doc. You got a name over 'ere, or'm I gonna have t' guess?" Maybe he shouldn't have asked that. He'd actually been made to guess before, with terrible results.

- - -

12 was more than a little surprised when Madison opened the doors, the action warranting a cautious foray to a safe distance behind the Heavy in an attempt to see what was up. What was she calling fo--new teammates. Oh god. That was not good. What was he even supposed to do? He hadn't been given clearance for any of this, especially actually talking and oh god oh god he could see them. The little hybrid looked around almost frantically for some kind of place to hide, talons scrabbling on the floor as he barreled back around the corner to hide in the best place ever: in the corner. If only he wasn't all ruffled, he would've been better at this hiding shit. As it was, he wasn't doing the best of jobs.
Last edited by 12 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lieutenant

Postby Anu Laar » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:19 am

Through snow, through cold, through layers and layers of thick clothing, Anu spotted himself a lady.

Well alright. Maybe this base wouldn't be so bad, after all.

"I will never be of keeping you waiting!" he assured her, hurrying right inside. And right inside, he shook himself off a little, staring at the 'hiding spot'. "Why is there chicken-man hiding in? Is okay, you will love me!" He was sure everyone would, because everyone really should. "I am not thinking get so hungry I go after chicken-man, you must taste like... blech. No. Chicken, jah, is okay, but I have seen this science thing. Is okay, like diseases maybe, eat and get feathers on palms." He kept blabbering away, as he loosened his outerwear and pulled off his mittens, leaving the fingerless gloves underneath.
Anu Laar
Mercenary

Postby Connal Reid » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:14 pm

This was hilarious. They hadn't even closed the door behind them, yet (which Connal promptly did after getting himself inside), and already this guy was hitting on someone. Well, at least, that's what the Pyro thought he was doing. Up until the part about growing feathers on his palms. Did they just say "feathers" instead of "hair" over in Eh-stone-whatever?

Letting Anu talk first, Connal took the mask off and ran a gloved hand over his head. His usual mohawk had been flattened to one side, but that wasn't really a big deal. It was chilly in here, too, so he probably would have to have keep a hat on. "Hi, I'm- Oh so that's what ya meant by 'chicken-man...'" The Michigander involuntarily tilted his head to the side, trying to make sense of what he was seeing. "Uh... Cool costume...?" he guessed.
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Connal Reid
Colonel

Postby Puffin » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:43 pm

Madison slipped off her scarf to glare at the loudmouthed spy. "He ain't a chicken. And if we're gonna eat anyone it's gonna be you, Curly." Poor 12. He was practically a nervous wreck already, he didn't need some smartass talking like that. "And it ain't a costume, neit'er," she said, sending another glare at the rather large Pyro who had walked in after.

She went over to where the little bird was cowering in the corner. "Don't worry about dem, okay? Dey ain't gonna hurt you." The last thing they needed on top of this godawful weather was two assholes harassing one of the few other teammates.

~

The medic smiled at the engineer's remark. "I would say 'guess,' but I don't think it would be fair considering it isn't even an English name." He offered his hand in greeting. "Niklas Lind. Nice to meet you."
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Postby 12 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:36 pm

"The hell're you callin' chi--"

Oh shit. Ohhhh shit. He hadn't meant to talk. He'd been thinking that, yes, but he was going to send the newcomers a split-second frown at best, not that. At least he'd managed to shut himself up before he finished, though it would've been better if he wouldn't have said anything at all, or at least cut himself off earlier. He backed as far as physically possible into the corner, pulling a face at the discomfort of basically smothering his tail. 12 had swapped just tucking his wings for a death grip on his collar, looking very distinctly terrified at the current moment. He hadn't been addressed, hadn't been given any kind of permission, and he'd just...talked. If that wasn't enough grounds for punishment already, 12 wasn't entirely sure what was.

- - -

"'M glad you spared me 'at, 'cause I never would'a guessed it. Last guy t' make me do 'at was a Heavy, an' that wound up bein' downright ridiculous." He returned the handshake with a nod. "So, what all're we doin' out 'ere? Iiii didn't really get a real thorough briefin'. You'd think they'd do that when they're shippin' you off t' frozen nowhere, but that kind'a ethic seems t' fly out th' window when y'piss 'em pencil-pushers off." Kurt shrugged, sticking his hands in his coat pockets. While it was still cold in here, it was better by far than it was outside--he was just going to take a moment to be happy that he wasn't out in that weather anymore. The wind was one of the worst parts about it, and he had very little doubt that it was going to get to be below zero tonight. Better bundle up nice and thick.
Lieutenant

Postby Anu Laar » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:37 pm

Anu held his arms out at his sides; he wasn't going to jump at the guy or anything. "Okay so I have no idea what is happening now," he informed everybody. "Miss, you are beautiful, little man with feathers I will call you whatever is name to call, we will get along, as I say. We have to get along, all stuck in small space, jah?" It was just practical thinking. Even a little isolation got to the men in the desert, along with all their.. weirdness in the canals.

Friendly, getting along, that made life easier. Not that he planned to trust any of them any more than the last base, and there, he was pretty sure his troop leader was trying to get him killed.
Anu Laar
Mercenary

Postby Connal Reid » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:26 pm

"Uh, wait, but he said he wasn' gonna... Why's 'e look so wigged, we ain't... Waddaya mean it's not a costume?" He agreed one-hundred-percent with the Spy on this; he had no idea what was going on, either. At least a dozen questions were floating through the Pyro's mind. Why did the big girl get so hostile? Why was the guy with the boa so scared (and apparently not in a costume)? Is this how everyone's first days went? "I, um, think I should mention this is my first base..." Connal added.
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Connal Reid
Colonel

Postby Puffin » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:05 pm

Madison looked suspiciously at the spy, then back to the pyro, and then back at 12. She sighed, beginning to unravel her scarf. "It just ain't a costume. And dis is my firs' base too. I jus' wasn't expecting de cold. Jus' be nice, okay? I won't start fights if y'all won't. I'm Madison. And dis..." she looked down at the cowering hybrid. "Y' wanna introduce yourself, little buddy?"

~

Niklas simply shrugged, giving the Texan a small smile. "I have no idea. Probably here for some bullshit reason or another." He had pissed off someone to wind up with a sudden transfer, but the guy was hardly a pencil pusher. "I am surprised they sent us more people, though. I distinctly remember them telling us that there would only be one flight in for the few months that we would be here. But I guess that's a good thing."
Puffin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Project Frostbite: Deep Alaska AU