Activity Check - February 2013 -IMPORTANT-

Where dead and dying threads of conversation go to hide out.

Activity Check - February 2013 -IMPORTANT-

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:15 am

This is it guys.
The deciding factor in the welfare of this site.
Pray we get enough responses that we may continue.

- - -

Please fill out the form below for each character you have currently in play and post as a comment.

Character Name: First Last, Position
Team: RED/BLU/Other (monsters, missing, etc)
Latest Post: Thread Name (Participants), Date of Last Post
Current Status: Active (played often and consistently, main)/Intermittent (played on and off, secondary)/Declining (losing interest)

Are you still interested in the Swamp Rat setting?
Do you have any idea for upping activity?
Is there anything specific you would like to see in the future (Limit 5 please)?
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Re: Activity Check - February 2013 -IMPORTANT-

Postby Henry Adams » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:09 pm

Adams, Henry; Lead Technician
Non-affiliated
Still kicking, despite.

For the record, We've been through much worse, just in the time that I've been here, let alone the much longer period before me. It's my opinion that this is an overstatement of the condition we're in. This place survived with fewer members than most people can say they have good friends at the worst moments in their life, and we have more good people here than we've had, even if they can be hard to reach or have other priorities to maintain. My investment in this place is more obvious to me every day. There are friends I've made here who I couldn't see myself being without in the future. The thought that this place could ever fade away is irritating to me on a basic level. I understand that someday it will happen, but I won't allow it to happen so soon.

In short, you're being dramatic, Gerhard. We shall carry on.
Henry Adams

Postby Connal Reid » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:09 pm

Connal Reid, Pyro
RED
Active

Tihun, Heavy
BLU
Intermittent

I'm going to say that I'm kind of glad that you scratched off the "Latest Post" part, so I don't feel so guilty about how long it's been since I last posted, especially as Tihun. I'll freely admit that I've kinda been slacking when it comes to posting in here, but I've gotten some extra free time, now, and am determined to do what I can to kick myself back into posting more regularly.

Also, I'm almost completely certain I've missed a thread or two in the timeline. Any of you guys mind giving the timeline a look-see and telling me if there's a thread you're in that I missed? I keep asking and keep getting silence. :B
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Tihun - BLU Heavy Hyena Bitch
Connal Reid
Colonel

Location: Just follow the sound of the music.//Somewhere, idk

Postby Puffin » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:37 pm

Niklas Lind, Medic
RED
Active

Ye Lan Feng, Pyro
BLU
Intermittent

Madison Beaulieau
BLU
Intermittent

I sincerely apologize for the lack of activity, but I'm in my last semester at college and I've been really distracted and busy. I'll try my best to be more active. The site isn't going anywhere, though, so don't worry about it so much. Also, I'll try to get started on some story ideas. I'm always around though, so feel free to contact me and all that jazz.
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:00 am

Hahahaaa, I ought to reply to this too huh.

Gerhard Melsbach, BLU Medic, Active
Jericho, RED Soldier, Active
Bryce Langley, RED Sniper, Intermittent
Argent, Neutral Hermit, Intermittent
Enrico Roland, BLU Sniper, Intermittent

Been pretty busy with work lately, but I've got a lot of plans to buff up the site in the coming months. With any luck, I'll be able to actually give us our own custom skin, we'll have a chatbox, and the spam-bots will FINALLY be somewhat dealt with so we can actually start taking on new members.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby 12 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:45 am

12 - BLU Scout ; Active.
Talbot Rennigan - RED Soldier ; Active.
Kurt Clayton - RED Engineer ; Intermittent.
Rod Hamilton - RED Heavy ; Intermittent.

I had some sort of relevant thought for plot things, but that was while I was sitting there overly medicated yesterday and now I don't even remember. |: I'll come up with something, sdfg.
but yeah, site's not goin' anywhere. I've been a mite busy with preparing to go continent hopping and getting my gatdang license (plus work, but that's a given), but I will attempt.
Lieutenant

Postby Marshall Ames » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:49 pm

Marshall Ames, Soldier
BLU
Intermittent

I like this world. I can tell because I'm trying to think of reasons to stay instead of ways to leave.
Where have I been? Last semester of college, mostly. The one thread I have here right now is self-contained, fortunately, and it could be moved forwards in time to when I can post more.

SRC is, on a basic level, a survival story. There are elements of combat and horror, too. There's also a small-village feel to it, but it runs the risk of becoming TOO self-contained, especially since the way to town by the river was cut off. Henry's re-invention of the microwave was vital at the time, but now I notice the mercs are getting dependent on it. Cloned booze. Copied peanut butter.
Things they could get in town, or from company shipments if they repaired the dock or the railroad tracks, but they've never made much effort towards getting either of those done. -And why should they, with an effective resupply point right in their own mess hall?

...But what is that reliance costing them, really? What would they do to somebody who broke one, accidentally or otherwise? If one base had a copier and the other didn't, could that spark off an actual incident, or would it bring them closer, like the monster-slaying did?
It's like a story from The Illustrated Man, by Ray Bradbury.

There's also a certain weather-related story arc on the back burner that we could use, but that would work just as well as a summer event, too. Given how many people are busy right now, maybe better.
Marshall Ames
Mercenary

Postby Connal Reid » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:36 pm

Marshall Ames wrote:If one base had a copier and the other didn't, could that spark off an actual incident, or would it bring them closer, like the monster-slaying did?

Actually I'm pretty sure there's only one cloning machine right now that Henry made, probably kept at his own base. He's just a cool enough BLU to share with the REDs (and also maybe as a way to repay for stealing their microwave to make it).
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Connal Reid
Colonel

Postby Henry Adams » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:58 pm

Oh my god, people besides me and Puff actually remember the microwave ;_; *sob*
Henry Adams

Postby Connal Reid » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:59 pm

Of course I remember! How could I not?
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Connal Reid
Colonel

Postby Marshall Ames » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:30 am

Oh, right, the died-for-the-cause machine condolences thing. I remember now. Yeah, that was cool.
It also partially explains why Henry's considered 'Unaligned' now. I mean... the teams are beginning to merge in the way of two ship's crews made into one, that's obvious. I think Henry went first on the official step partly because he's the first one one attain more than a visitor's pass. That is to say, he could walk onto either base and tinker with things without being questioned. (Great disguise for a spy, really.)

My point is, the Swamp Rat base just won the game, survival-wise.
At this point we can do a lot of things. Start training each other, Kick back and see how far we slide before someone calls bullshit or the company notices, start fighting among ourselves (ex. Adrian vs Enrico vs jasper), take on a new project like rebuilding the dock, or face a new and horrible menace of the more fangs-and-attitude variety. Or that weather event thing. Or something else I can't even think of.

We don't need to do a new microwave storyline, that was just an example. I mean... the only reason the company doesn't know about it is probably that there hasn't been base-to-civilization contact in a while. The near-unlimited ability to copy food, ammo, precious metals...? I can think of a lot of people who would want that technology, and TFI itself is at the top of that list.

Back in August, I tried starting a dock-repair thread, and it went nowhere. If dock repairs IC are a pain in the ass, just metagame it and start the thread with the characters involved showing the rest the completed dock or something.

Everyone who's posted in this thread still likes the journey, but we need a new destination.
Marshall Ames
Mercenary

Postby Henry Adams » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:27 am

Im sorry about the dock repairs. Those were kind of my schtick since tall, dark, and toothy smashed them up, and I fell down on the job ;_; They're not so much a pain, they just need three or four people and a short thread that manages to say 'Yes, we actually started working on this' or a celebratory thread to finish them. I could actually start that up this week, if someone could remind me. Extra fun points for henry if we do it before the aforementioned weather thing XD
Henry Adams

Postby Puffin » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:37 am

Marshall Ames wrote:Back in August, I tried starting a dock-repair thread, and it went nowhere. If dock repairs IC are a pain in the ass, just metagame it and start the thread with the characters involved showing the rest the completed dock or something.

Everyone who's posted in this thread still likes the journey, but we need a new destination.

Ames, you've just articulated what I've been thinking and meaning to write down for months.

The whole "oh no we're low on supplies and things are bad" plotline has been tired out, I think. It barely had any impact on the game regardless, but at this point? We can safely assume that the docks are up, and supplies and mail are going back and forth. If you guys want to actually make the backdated thread(s) and roleplay it out, be my guest. However, for sake of the story, I'd rather not wait around longer to say it happened when it probably did.

On a similar note, I think we can logically assume that since respawn has been fixed (y'all may or may not have noticed that I've been playing Niklas as having eyesight since like January), the ghosts are probably not ghosts. Again, backdated threads are okay, but for the sake of progression feel free to roleplay accordingly.

Personally, I've had ideas for SR to take a turn more towards intrigue (though still keeping those horror elements, oh gosh if there's anything I enjoy doing it's that), especially since communications are likely reestablished. I still have to work out kinks with my fellow admins, and some things are going to be left for the players/characters to find out. We can't tell you everything, after all.

@Henry: SEE, THIS IS WHY I'M ALWAYS UP UP ON EVERYONE'S ASS TO POST WHEN THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO, YOU GIGANTIC ASSHAT ヽ(#`Д´)ノ
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

AFTER 10000 YEARS

Postby Tentacles » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:36 pm

James Whillhoft
RED
Intermittent

Spy-Crab
Team CRAB
Probably got eaten by an aligator

Jasper
RED (subcategory jackass)
Intermittent

Dr. Savageau
BLU
NOT EVEN ON THE BASE, BADDABOOM
Tentacles
Colonel

Location: Falling apart // Creeping around // BLU base // Trying not to get shot in the head

Postby Marshall Ames » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:47 pm

Let's go build us a dock.

Git 'er Done
Marshall Ames
Mercenary

Postby Puffin » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:45 pm

*high pitched shrieking*

TENTY'S BACK AND PEOPLE ARE MAKING THREADS AND!!!!!!!!

Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Henry Adams » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:02 pm

Puffin wrote:*high pitched shrieking*

This is an image I will never get out of my head
Henry Adams

Postby Penultimate Pi » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:35 am

OH CRAP HANG ON A SECOND
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Penultimate Pi » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:47 am

Character Name: Josif Arcson, Soldier
Team: RED
Current Status: [Meant to be] Active

Character Name: Adrian Langer, Demoman
Team: BLU
Current Status: [Meant to be] Intermittent

Character Name: 'Xavier', Soldier
Team: Unallied
Current Status: [Currently] Inactive

Character Name: Craig Synathen, Acting Medic
Team: Unallied
Current Status: [Currently] Inactive

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, sorry fellas. Been so wrapped up in other RP and RL crap that I damn near forgot about this site and its happenings. Granted it looks like I haven't missed much, but I shouldn't be inattentive like this.

If anyone has popped into the Steam group lately, then you may have seen this (I know at least you have, Armored):

Automation of Pi Jan 26, 2013 @ 3:13pm
oh god i have not posted on the site in forever, what excuse can I make as to my characters'- ah eff it, here is my concocted, long delayed plan:

First off, let's start with Xavier. He wasn't originally a separate entity; just another part of Josif's brain. So when he became sentient, complete with a body, he naturally had to do a bit of adjusting. He thought about why exactly he had this burning desire to kill and be strong, but could fulfill neither given that he was in a weak, decaying body.
And then Craig showed up. He wasn't exactly a Medic, but he was, in a sense, his father; albeit a father that had disowned both him and the company he worked for that was devoted to creating the ideal fighter. (This is HARA.) Xavier obtains this revelation that he is an outcast, a supposed 'mistake of nature.' This sparks his ultimate goal: to restore his power with the unwilling help of kidnapped mercenaries, and then annihilate them all to show that he was worthy. Obviously, this won't work out in the end.
I intend to keep Craig and two other mercenaries prisoner in order to help Xavier get gradually prepared while still allowing development: Xavier can't kill these people, or else he won't get better and will in turn alert the mercenaries due to Respawn. Overall, Xavier will still be quite outmanned and outgunned, even with an ambush attack on either base. That's the point: Xavier is going to die, and plus everyone who needs revenge on him will get it.
The swamp monsters we fought before were threatening, but were generally just bumps in the road, due to Respawn. Xavier is no different. Once this is over with, we'll have Josif restored (albeit very much changed) and Craig as a new addition to the party. I'm also planning on having Adrian jump ship for now, since he really isn't doing anything much. Then (if it is all okay with you guys to have an actual big-name focus in the game), we can plan on what to do with HARA, if anything.

Dear GOD, that's a lot of words.

And if you've read this post, then you've seen it too!

Don't you DARE Tl;DR me.
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:57 pm

We just need a head's up from Anu. I'll be leaving this open while I'm at work today to give him a chance, but it will be closed and locked when I get home.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Return to Old Chatter