Some Headcanon that may or may not be helpful

Wherein the rules of coming back to life and the occasional consequences of doing so are explained.

Some Headcanon that may or may not be helpful

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Thu May 24, 2012 3:54 pm

Running Events and playing with such fun mythical technology such as the MediGun and Respawn, I tend to forget that I am not telepathically transmitting my trains of thought via IP address to everyone here on the forum so I can keep people updated on my brain spasms.
It's not usually a big deal, being able to talk things out and get everybody on the ball, but there are a few things that I have very recently realized that are very important that I have taken for granted that everybody knows about.
So, I think it's time I introduced everybody to my Headcanon on how Respawn and the MediGun work, because that's how I've been running these events and things and I'm rereading and wondering what the hell people are doing.

-Respawn-
The Respawn system consists of a few very basic elements: A large computer bank containing the genetic code and collective memory of everyone registered in the system, storage tanks of base materials, a number of reassembly capsules, and a Respawn chip.
The base system and the chip are two very separate parts, as there is only one base system and multiple chips, one for each registered team member. Chips are installed in the back of the neck between spinal vertebrae so that the chip may siphon the small amount of power it needs from the host nervous system.
The main computer bank and the chip are in constant radio communication, the chip sending a continuous signal to the computer bank saying that it is still getting power AKA the host is Alive. When a person dies, the chip's signal dies and the computer bank is notified, starting up the reassembly process, which consists of teleporting, deconstructing and then reconstructing the body according to the genetic records.
A fully functional and well maintained system should take a maximum of 30 seconds to fully reassemble and animate the previously dead person, the chip automatically being assembled in the process.

However, this is only ONE way the Respawn system works.

While the chip's signal dies upon the death of the host, there are situations in which a chip's signal may be interrupted or be out of range, and no one wants a double. So, the chip has an in-built power source that allows it to continue sending and receiving signals. If it is able to receive a ping signal from the main computer bank, it will remain active and allow for standard Respawn. If it is not able to receive a ping, it will go dormant for a set period of time before running out of power completely, waiting for a ping signal.
This means, if someone dies outside of Respawn but is brought back within Respawn range within a certain amount of time (roughly 24 hours), they will Respawn as normal when they are in range.
A chip can also siphon energy from outside sources, such as radiation and electrical current, extending the time frame of allowing a person to be reanimated. But introducing such sources is generally frowned upon, since too much can cause a spontaneous and very traumatizing localized Respawn.

Every Respawn chip is composed of 3 main components: The sender, the receiver, and the teleporter/deconstructer.
While technically miniaturized teleporter technology, the chip does not generally have enough energy to reconstruct its host and itself, leaving the other half of the process to the base system. However, with enough extra power, the chip can perform the whole process on the spot, with one small hitch: Being unable to disassemble and reassemble itself.
In the process of reassembly at the base, the chip has its data updated and any wear repaired, but a localized Respawn needs an anchor, which means the chip can't be updated or repaired in a localized Respawn. This generally isn't too big a deal, but repeated "locals" without a "standard" will actually start to damage and degrade the chip itself, causing harm to the reanimating host.
A standard will fix the damage caused by multiple locals, but the mental trauma will remain inscribed in the host's data and the host will be especially prone to glitches (+5%).

In the Event "Cracking the Vaults", two versions of a local are seen, both powered by ambient sources of energy (radiation); The Ghost, and the Zombie.
A Ghost is the result of a chip that doesn't have enough power to make the host completely corporeal, leaving the host semi-translucent with atoms loose enough to pass through the gaps between other atoms. A Ghost has less capability for data corruption, since the chip is far enough from the power source to prevent multiple attempts at a local but has enough power to maintain a semi-physical form. However, since the chips themselves are not 'ghostly', they are not directly attached to any Ghost and a Ghost must remain withing a set distance of the chip to remain functioning. The most average distance is around 30 to 40 feet.
A Zombie is the result of a chip that has enough power to make a corporeal host, but is too close to the power source and has been repeatedly performing locals in an attempt to compensate, horribly corrupting and damaging the data to the point of no return. A Zombie is a physical enough being to have the chip attached, and thus has no travel limitations outside those made by their own damaged and failing bodies.
The biggest difference between the two, outside power usage, is behavior: Ghosts retain the personalities and memories of who they were in life, while Zombies have been corrupted down to mindless drones that only react to the environment around them.

-MediGun-
TBC
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Return to Respawn Mechanics