Reverse Engineering [Henry]

A little space before the main entrance that looks out over the Battlefield and the swamps beyond. A nice spot to sit and chat when there's nothing on the television. You can climb up on the roof from either the upstairs windows or find a tree.

Reverse Engineering [Henry]

Postby 12 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:55 pm

He probably should've gone ahead and asked the other Engineer about the situation a long time ago. There was a lot of things he should've done a long time ago, it seemed. This one honestly should've (there's that word again) been a lot more pressing, being that it concerned his team's respawn in a way, but Kurt had just managed to completely forget about it. Today, though, he had changed his mind.

The RED waited awkwardly in front of BLU's front porch, fingers itching for a smoke that he denied himself. He didn't want to burn through his stockpile so quickly; he wasn't sure when he'd be able to get any more. The only team-color article of clothing he wore was his (pretty much trademark) bandana, (most of) the rest of his uniform swapped out for more casual 'civilian' clothes, though both of his gloves were still in place. Hopefully, the lack of red for the most part would prevent him from being readily painted as an enemy, and therefore prevent him from being shot or something. Would they even do that? He'd been told that there was a truce on, but old habits died hard. It just felt wrong to outright truce, though he figured he needed to get over that. Kurt had some things he needed to talk about with Henry, and team color couldn't get in the way of that. He cupped his hands around his mouth and yelled, making his presence known.

"Henry! You mind sharin' a few words?" He paused, licking his lips. "We ought'a talk about RED 'spawn, anyhow!"

And then came the waiting game, with an extra bonus round of 'let's see how many times you can say 'please don't shoot me' in your head before somebody shows up'. The count was rising steadily.
Last edited by 12 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant

Re: Reverse Engineering [Henry]

Postby Henry Adams » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:41 pm

Henry was anything but suspicious of his new visitor. He slid through the front door, barely opening it, and immediately shoved his arm into a handshake format, reinforced by an iron-clad smile. Normally, this would be a turn of phrase, but in this particular case, Henry remembered the man's favorite hobby, and took the extra second to grab an aeroliser mask and slip it over the lower half of his face so that they could both breathe comfortably.

"You look nervous, man. Chill out. Go ahead and light up, I'm covered." (This was accented by a very pointed... point, at his mask.) "Finally getting a little overwhelmed at the twenty-something different high-level jobs that need to be done around here? I'm happy to help out wherever you need it, provided the rest of your base will let me into the base unperforated. Nik is cool about it. We're buddies. The rest are a bit wary of me still, though."
Henry Adams

Postby 12 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:37 pm

When a BLU emerged, Kurt froze at first. The count was currently at 62, and he almost made it to 63 before he noticed that it wasn't one of the other ones. The metal leg was very clearly visible at a distance, and that bit of confirmation made the RED relax. He returned the handshake when Henry drew near, pausing for a moment to cast a mildly confused glance at the mask. He cleared his throat before speaking, ducking his head slightly. "Naw, I'm good. It can wait, anyhow." He dismissed the notion with a short handwave, soon after giving his bandana a light tug to put it back to sorts. "We had a bit of an incident happen, so I'm tryin' t' get 'spawn all nice an' patched up 'fore anyone else needs t' go through it again. I reckon that if you're over there with me an' I make it plenny clear 'at we're jus' fixin' things, it'll all be alright." Well, he hadn't said outright what it was, so maybe he couldn't get in trouble for that. To be fair, though, he didn't even really know what all had happened that night in the first place.

"You clear f'r sometime 'is weekend, far's fixin' goes? We c'n jus' talk f'r now, 'f you want. I figure I ought'a get t' know you a bit 'fore I drag you out'a whatever it is you're doin' over 'ere with BLU." He smiled a bit, rubbing the back of his neck sort of awkwardly. "S'also jus' good work ethic, y'know. Not 'at I mean--f'r like, th' other part'a our jobs, where we're s'posed t' be shootin' at each other an' th' like, but you get what I mean." Kurt, just shut up.
Lieutenant

Postby Henry Adams » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:46 pm

Henry gave his head a scratch, and opted to keep the mask on, for no better reason than laziness. "I'm sure I could swing by whenever you like. It's not like I'm not used to being constantly pulled away from projects by now. That's been the entire experience here. Fuck, um, siddown and we'll chat."

Lowering himself down onto the semi-rotted steps of the porch, Henry did his best to not get splinters anywhere important. "You might actually want a hand in what I'm working on now. Once all of this monster business is over, I want to be sure it doesn't happen again. I have a layout for a security grid that should cover everything vulnerable, but I'm going to need another tech, and a lot of manpower to get it set up. Of course I also need the monster to be dead first. And then there needs to be something worth protecting so we need to fix up the bases themselves. Okay so there's a lot of shit, as I'm sure you've figured out."

Way to ramble, man. Keep it up.

"So yeah. That's what's up." At this point, Henry could do little but stare into the greenery and tug at the hair on the back of his neck.
Henry Adams

Postby 12 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:18 pm

"I've got some experience with security systems. Jus'--I'd likely be better off not programmin' it. Fair warnin', pal." And that was all he was going to say on that. He sat down at a reasonable distance from the BLU, resting his elbows on his knees and just looking around. "Far's th' rest'a it goes, I ain't got a problem with 'at. Fixin' things up's somethin' I like t' think I'm good at." He managed a small grin, leaning back a bit.

"Helpin' with th' thing inna lake ain't too far out'a th' job description, either. I c'n lend a gun wherever 'at's needed." A thought occurred to him, and he paused, mulling it over. "Y'ever try whippin' up a Level Three an' lettin' it have at th' thing...? That might work." Those Sentries definitely had a considerable amount of firepower, and it sounded like that was something they needed. "Lure it alon' an' lead it right inta a Sentry trap. S'a battle strategy I've used before, heck. Worked fairly well, too."
Lieutenant

Postby Henry Adams » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:10 pm

"I've given turrets some thought. Trouble is this bleeder has a tendency to barrel towards the nearest threat with little consideration for potential harm. If we used a pile of them we might get away without too much damage, but with just one, even if it dies it's likely to end up on top of something and someone."

"This thing is intelligent. As in, human levels of intelligent. It has Berserker moments, but all in all it's a careful and lethal being. If we're going to trap it, our bait needs to be pretty damn convincing, and that means placing a live man in the line of fire. It wouldn't be the first time I've pulled something like that, but if that's what's happening, we need to be damn sure that it's going to work. Until Respawn is properly repaired and we can do regular maintenance, we can't afford to take any fatalities."

Pulling a small flask from the compartment in his leg, he took a quick drink and motioned to the other engineer as if to offer.
Henry Adams

Postby 12 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:41 pm

"Wh..." Okay, the leg was definitely something else. Kurt stared at the proffered flask for a moment before breathing a short sigh and gladly accepting it, taking a small swig before handing it back. The little bit of alcohol did help settle his nerves, though it didn't really make him relax. "Far's th' bait goes, who's th' one doin' at?" Quirking an eyebrow at the other Engineer, he adjusted his gloves a bit, already mildly worried. "'F it's a RED, I'm already gonna say no t' that. I'd rather be th' one lurin' 'at thing in instead'a lettin' one'a them do it an' risk gettin' hurt." That was said matter-of-factly, and for once, he managed a serious expression, staring dead on at Henry. There was absolutely no way in hell he was going to let one of his team do that. They'd already lost one, though it was yet to be seen if that was permanent--and add to that a long list of names and faces all vanished like smoke. It was more than a little disconcerting.

"I ought'a be patchin' up our 'spawn, but I ain't real sure it's such a good idea t' let me loose down 'ere. 'M more'a a battle-oriented Engie'n I am maintenance. C'n fix general base stuff with no problem, but if'n somebody's life's ridin' on th' tech I've been tol' t' fix, s'better f'r all involved t' jus' get someone else t' do it. Less slipups 'at way." Well, at least he was being honest.
Lieutenant

Return to Front Porch