Let the Rain Fall (Gerhard)

A little space before the main entrance that looks out over the Battlefield and the swamps beyond. A nice spot to sit and chat when there's nothing on the television. You can climb up on the roof from either the upstairs windows or find a tree.

Let the Rain Fall (Gerhard)

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Sun May 20, 2012 11:18 pm

A steady rain finally fell down through the swamp, soaking anything and everything not covered. Places that were normally dry were spotted with puddles. The rain threatened to rise the river nearby to flood the place, rushing faster to keep things steady. It was almost peaceful in a way if the threat of a local swamp monster was still in the air to use the rising waters to its advantage should the base get flooded enough.

Enrico was out on the front porch, cup of hot coffee in hand. He sat on the wooden railing, just watching the rain. He looked... distant, as if lost in thought. Taking a small sigh, the man gazed down at his cup starring at his reflection before sipping it slowly. Not much to do and being locked up with the other team mates wasn't much fun by how it sounded. In fact... Ever since his resurrection, Enrico was just the oddball in this group. No matter what they said, what they do... It was just too hard for the Sniper to shake off years of working with BLU the way he was supposed to. Why were the others being so difficult? Didn't they want to get out of here? If you wanted out, you had to work to earn the right for a transfer.

Rolling his eyes, Enrico thought on some things, mainly fixing his car, packing up everything and blowing this hotdog stand. If everyone was going to muck around with this 'hug-me' fest... More power to them. Enrico was not a part of this time, and believed himself to never fit in. "Crazy house is wat I've been planted in..." He mutters, sipping more coffee.
Rufus Schmitz

Re: Let the Rain Fall (Gerhard)

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sun May 20, 2012 11:44 pm

Ever since the incident with bringing Rufus in for treatment, Gerhard found himself... Wary of the team's secondary Sniper.
While he understood that Enrico came from a time before the current mess of mutated monstrosities and fighting to survive, the whole RED vs BLU mindset had never settled well with the Medic, and being confronted with someone who took the division so seriously-
It made him anxious, and not a little fearful of the New Zealander.
Especially with his patient just about well enough to head back to his home base.
Would the marksman allow Rufus to leave? Would he step aside, let them wheel the half-dolphin across the swamp, without attempting to put a bullet in the man's brain?
If the last instance had anything to say on the matter, the answer was a resounding 'No'.

And that had Gerhard worried enough to attempt to make amends with his estranged teammate.

Which led to him, undisguised, sans coat and gloves, to come wandering out onto the front porch in the rain. To ask what the Sniper would do, and to attempt to prevent his paitient's demise after such a long recovery.
The TentaMedic wrung his hands, glancing around at the soaked landscape, idly wondering just how mobile the wetness would make the current beast of the murk as he came up behind the Sniper.
"Ah... Enrico...? Couldt I talk vizh you a moment?"
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Sun May 20, 2012 11:57 pm

The voice almost caused the man to flinch and fall off the railing. He twitched, before making a frown. Why was he being bugged now? Come back inside and be forced to join in that drunken party or whatever it was involving booze and one crazy Engie acting like it was college years again. Enrico shrugged before barely glancing over his shoulder.

"Sup Doc... what didja want?" He asked, trying his best not to sound disappointed in his voice. What did the medic want out of him? Some pity plea to come inside and join the others? Why? It wasn't his interests. "I take it you want me to join in celebratin' wat eva ya'll are celebratin'?"
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Mon May 21, 2012 12:01 am

"Not particularly. I vas unavare of zhe partying..."
He cleared his throat quietly, sidling a tad closer and coming around towards the Sniper's side so he would be seen and wouldn't spook the man again.
"I actually vished to speak vizh you. On a... I vouldt say delicate, but it's mehr of a matter of differingk opinion I vish to have cleared up. For bozh our sakes."
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Mon May 21, 2012 12:07 am

Enrico nearly let out a sound of distaste. "Doc... nuthin' you say is gonna change who I am. Yer engineer and Heavy already tried, liked to of turn me into a vegetable upside the head. Why are ya all still trying to make me think like ya? It's just... not right. If it was, I wouldn't be here, I'd be home with mah Dad helping in trying to keep up the ranch." He explained, shrugging.

"So... what do ya want out of me if yer gonna preach to the choir?"
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Mon May 21, 2012 12:25 am

The TentaMedic honestly wasn't expecting such strong opposition, but he's nothing if not stubborn, especially when it's concerning the well-being of his patients, and so he forced himself to bite down on the sharp words that he knows will only make the situation worse, instead taking a deep breath and moving to lean up against the railing by Enrico's boots.
"I'm not askingk you to change, I'm askingk for a compromise. If only for a little vhile."
He crossed his arms, then uncrossed them again, trying not to appear defensive, even though he feels like he's defending himself.
"Zhis ist our first base, for several of us, for various reasons. Ve haven't hadt to fight for our lives against ozzers whose only difference ist zhe color of uniform zhey vear. You haff, und zhe danger of somevone vearingk RED ist very real to you, vhere it ist somezhing shallow to meinself und Henry und Maddie."
His tentacles shifted over themselves, quiet as they coiled and twisted over themselves in an increasingly agitated manner.
"Zhat day... You vere actingk ins zhe manner zhat had allowed dein survival for a long time. It vas... I vould say wrong of us to act ins zhe manner ve did, but I haff to admit zhat if it vere to occur again, I vouldt react just zhe same. But you shouldt also know zhat I vould react just as defensively if it hadt been you in mein care, und your life zhreatened."
Gerhard exhaled a soft sigh, brow furrowing as he turned his gaze towards the marksman.
"Do you understand vat I'm gettingk at here? Vas I'm tryingk to convey?"
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Tue May 22, 2012 6:14 pm

"Yeah I guess... But what I'm trying to figure out is why? Why ya stickin' yer neck out for a RED? Once this ceasefire bores the Announcer, bet cha a dime o' dozen, he won't think twice about firing a bunch of rounds into ya. I just don't get ya kiddos... If you were doing this when this place was hot, you'd be tied up on a pole and used for target practice. Why all of ya breakin' so many rules left and right with no thought of consequences. Boggles mah mind." Enrico explained.

The New Zealander shrugged before letting out a small groan. "Bloody crazy is what I think of all this..."
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Wed May 23, 2012 12:43 am

"If ve don't, who vill?"
Gerhard sighed, a hand moving to rub on his forearm as he looked out over the rain-sloshed landscape, frowning slightly at the ruins of the docks and the overflowing waterways. That damn monster was probably having a heyday in this mess...
"You've only been here for a vhat, a few months? A little less? I vas vone of zhe first people to come here, meinself, a Spy, a Sniper und anozzer Medic. Ozzers came after us, a few Soldiers, some Scouts, anozzer couple Medics und Spies..."
His frown deepened.
"Meinself und 12. Ve... Ve're zhe only vones left, out of zhose who used to be here. Und 12 hast only been back for a little longer zhan you. I- I vas zhe only vone here. For a long time. Just.. Me. Und a few REDs. Zhat vas it."
The TentaMedic was quiet for a long moment, his eyes expressing the fear, the depression that had gripped on tight during that painfully quiet time when he had been all alone in the big echoing base meant to hold 30 plus people.
"Ve only haff ourselves out here, Enrico. Zhe Announcer doesn't care about us. Zhe Companies hate us. Ve... Ve're little mehr zhen refuse to zhem. Zhe cast off mistakes und rookies und zhose too unstable to be anyvhere else. If ve don't look out for each ozzer, despite zhe colors, zhen ve're as gute as dead."
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Wed May 23, 2012 12:51 am

The Sniper gazed at Gerhard as the other explained, before turning away and shrugged. "Never saw it like that. I guess you just can't beat the loyalty out of me. I was stationed 'ere for a few years. All I remember was this place was more.. not rottin' and rust... and active as a beehive. If I can't do mah job here as a Sniper... then what am I good for? Makes me just wanna pack up everythin' and go home. Just need to fix the Thing in the garage. Though.. those ghosts livin' in there are a tad annoyin', at least that RED Heavy..." He said.

Enrico turned back around, sipping his coffee. "So... what cha want out of me? Something to do with us as a team.... or is it somethin' to do with yer 'pet' fish boy?"
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Wed May 23, 2012 1:03 am

"River dolphin, technically, but ja, it involves him."
Gerhard shifted his weight, his tentacles twisting over one another in a particularly agitated manner.
"Zhe bacterial infection hast finally cleared up enough zhat he can return to his own base, und I vas hoping to move him in zhe next couple days. I vould appreciate it if you didn't shoot him on sight. I put a lot of vork into gettingk him back in gute healzh."
And teaching him how to swim and allowing him to vent some nasty family issues as well as helping him develop some tolerance for his own hybrid state as well as the altered states of others around him.

He paused a moment, then spoke up again, more slowly, as if he wasn't entirely sure of how to put his words together.
"Und... I zhink, maybe, you shouldt try to interact vizh zhe ozzers? I don't expect you to follow zhem around like a lost puppy or anyzhing schtupid like zhat, but- Maybe if you talked vizh zhem mehr, got to know everyvone... I don't know, maybe zhese misunderstandings vouldn't come up sehr badtly. I know bozh Henry und Madison like you vell enough, Bosko vould like to try makingk some new freunds-"
Looking towards the Sniper, the doctor quirked a brow in a curious manner, questioning and hopeful.
"It's vorzh a shot, right?"
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Wed May 23, 2012 1:16 am

The other shrugged again before glancing back at the rain. "Bosko's nice, though seeing as he's a Sniper as well, I don't see em as much as well. 12's a good kid. Wish he wasn't so skiddish, I'd like to get to know the kid a bit more. However... Madison and Henry, I've sorta already had a predisposition slightly away from em'. Henry mostly. Honestly can't really understand a lick of sense out of him and his excuses for things drives me up a wall at times. So I seriously doubt I'll be 'buddy-buddy' with the guy, especially with a dang metal leg he likes to swing around without warnin'."

Sucking down the last bits of coffee, Enrico gave a pause before gazing completely away from Gerhard. "Fine then... take yer fish back to where he belongs. I'll probably be locked up in mah "room" listening to some vinyls anyways." Getting up off the deck railing, he turns back to Gerhard. "By the way... coffee tastes old. Might need to go hunt down some fresh grounds.... unless one of ya has the bright idea of reusing the grounds over and over again until there ain't any taste left."
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Wed May 23, 2012 1:23 am

The TentaMedic nodded, then snickered.
"Consideringk zhe fact zhat zhe majority of us drink tea over coffee, I zhink dealingk vizh zhe coffeemaker ist your job. Vell, your und Bosko's, I don't zhink anyvone else drinks coffee. Unless Henry's vorking on somezhing he really needs to schtay avake for, un even zhen..."
He shook his head, turning to start heading back inside, only to pause, turning back to the marksman.
"Zhank you. For lettingk mich be a doctor. It's... Not somezhing I get to do very often. Help people razzer zhen harm zhem..."
He'd been able to make the quality of life of those trapped in the facility better, but other than pushing for proper anesthetic use and slowing down the actual processing that led to more hybrids- He really hadn't been able to do too much to help people, not in his view.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Wed May 23, 2012 1:28 am

Enrico pinched the bridge of his nose. "I'mma gonna kill that man..." He mumbled before looking back up to hear a roll of thunder. Thunder meant more rain. More rain meant rising water level. That meant only one thing.... "So what's yer plan on killin' off that swamp monster? I haven't gotten a good look at it myself so not sure what I'm dealin' with. Seeing Peg-leg to me meant he had a tussle with a gator. So I need some more 'meat on the bone' in order to size this beast up. So... what is it?" He asked, curious.
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:40 pm

"Vell, zhere hast been some discussion, nozhing completely set in stone as of yet, but from vhat ve vere able to put on zhe table, zhe majority opinion seems to have settled on simply trappingk zhe beast und fillingk it full of holes."
The TentaMedic paused a moment, a brow quirking in obvious disbelief, but then reasoned that the Sniper hadn't been around quite as much and likely missed the few displays that the giant thing had put on.
"Zhe creature... Ve're not entirely certain vhat it is, but it ist- Massive."
Gerhard gestured towards the docks, just barely visible through the current downpour.
"It destroyed zhe docks vhen it came here, bustingk out of zhe crate it had been transported in, und tore off Henry's leg ins vone bite. I hear it also attacked vone of zhe RED Soldier's, und he nearly lost a leg as vell."
Frowning, the hybrid doctor struggled to put what little he knew into a semi-solid description of the monster that had been keeping everyone away from the water for several months.
"It's at least 15 feet long, perhaps longer, its head alone taking up a quarter of zhe lengzh, zhe jaws filled vizh razor sharp teeth made for grabbingk und tearingk, vaguely similar to a crocodile. It doesn't svim wizh a tail, zhough, it hast... Flippers, from vhat I saw, highly maneuverable und capable of bursts of speed I've seen it use to jump onto land und snap up zhe unsuspectingk."
Exhaling a sigh, Gerhard looked out towards the wide waterways, cringing at seeing the bridge across the water practically submerged in the deluge, and the island gone but for the tree that grew out of it. The blasted thing would be quite mobile with this flooding...
"I only hope zhat ve'll be able to extinguish it vishout too much loss of life. Zhe Respawn... It's not exactly reliable, as of late."
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

ho snap, thought this was forgotten

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:06 pm

Listening to Gerhard's explanation, Enrico had to rule out creatures he's dealt with here in the South. Alligator was out of the question, can't be a snake, even a released python like what he heard of at the tip of Florida when he first came to the states. American Crocodile was close but the species was rare, endangered even. So, whatever it was had to be bigger. Salt water crocodile was possible but they were from Australia so unless some twat released one in the swamp, that was ruled out, same with a Nile croc.

Then when Gerhard mentioned flippers instead of using the tail as a primary locomotion, it took a lot of memory for the man to come up with a conclusion from a place you wouldn't expect to find this creature alive. "...Are you saying we have some sort of prehistoric dinosaur on our hands? How in bloody hell is that possible? There shouldn't be any way to bring one back to life, all their bones should be rock by now." He said before glancing away. "I may be old fashion but I ain't stupid. I was into science and nature growing up. Why, I used to go hang out in the history museum while waiting on my old boyfriend to get done with some photoshoot or another across the street or just a little walkin' ways." He said before glancing back to the Medic. "Do you all need me to kill it on account of me being a Sniper and hunting's mah job?"
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:38 pm

"Trust mich vhen I say zhe Companies have no care for vhat should und should not be."
The Medic lifted a tentacle for emphasis.
RED and BLU had a way of making the impossible possible, the recreation of a prehistoric monster was practically child's play once they figured things out.
"I honestly have no idea if vone shot vould do it. It took a crossbow bolt to zhe eye und survived to attack zhe REDs."

{sorry for the short post, trying to catch up with stuff before work}
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:08 pm

The man hummed. He could of said it's not so hard if you get them from behind the head where the skull and neck meet. A sweet spot basically for reptilians, but he didn't bother in trying to explain to someone who'd probably wouldn't take his word of knowledge. Let ignorance be bliss, Enrico thought to himself.

But then he reflected back on the events of recent.. then his past. After a moment of silence, he glanced to his left, watching the rain fall. "Hey... Doc. Remember when we were in the old garage and I found mah car? Remember when I found a letter in the driver's seat addressed to me and I was lookin' all moped up." He asked before taking a shuddering breath. "I remembered... Charlie."
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:05 pm

The somewhat abrupt shift in conversation had the doctor quirking a brow, but curiosity over ruled, and he'd said what he knew about the monster... What was the harm in listening to someone's woes?
"Charlie? Old friend?"
Idly observing the surrounding environment, the tentacled hybrid found himself wishing he could go out for a swim. Now would be the perfect time for it too, with all the fish out taking advantage of the new space and so much more room... Stupid monster, ruining his pastimes.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:28 am

The other barely shrugs, frowning deeply. "Remember when ya all resurrected me and I had trouble remember what led to mah death in the first place? Well... I remember now thanks to that letter in mah car. It was from Zander, my Medic. He and Truckie were always buttin' heads creating something after the next. Sometimes I'd throw in an idea to help them. Well.. one day, Doc wanted to try something new using a very early version of splicin'. Yanno.. make Hybrids and stuff. Cept he wasn't aiming for making someone part critter, just gaining some sort of attribute from it. So we had Charlie... our Soldier, volunteer.

He was pretty level-headed, liked everyone and almost was like you in the mother henning sort of way. So when he was told of gaining a stronger ability towards battle while protecting the lot of us, he took it without question. Started out fairly alright, being the first time anything like it's been done. He actually started to show signs like being more muscular and tough as nails. But then... I guess Doc gave him one shot too many... and the negative side started to emerge." Enrico explained before turning to Gerhard, still frowning on his face.

"That... giant Snappin' Turtle monster you said attacked while retrieving mah chip..... That was Charile. He had his chip removed before the injections so respawn couldn't reset it and make the experiment voided.."
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:35 am

The moment Gerhard heard the word 'splicing', he began to go pale, even more so than usual, and by the end of it, he was death warmed over, pupils narrowed into barely visible slits as he gripped at the hem of his shirt, tentacles twisting over themselves in an anxious knot. He forced himself to breathe, needing to keep himself from flailing like an idiot and making useless apologies for something that had occurred so long ago now, and eventually spoke up his voice soft in an attempt to keep it as level as possible.
"Zhat ist unfortunate. But not entirely unprecedented. Zhere vere experiments as far back as zhe initial creation of zhe Respawn system, back vhen zhey vere still figuringk out to turn zhe genetic code into binary."
He frowned, swallowing.
"My only regret ist zhat dein freund had to die for us to be able to find you."
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Next

Return to Front Porch