Knock Knock, Tap Tap (Henry, Niklas, Geraldo, Open)

A little space before the main entrance that looks out over the Battlefield and the swamps beyond. A nice spot to sit and chat when there's nothing on the television.

Knock Knock, Tap Tap (Henry, Niklas, Geraldo, Open)

Postby Henry Adams » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:44 pm

After many months of testing, upgrading, and training, Henry felt it was finally time to unveil his most interesting creation to date. No-one was a better candidate for the unveiling, he felt, than his Swedish companion across the swamp. With the creature neatly dispatched, Henry found himself with vast amounts of free time, and the monotony of victory drove him to reach out more and more to anyone who would listen.

As he approached the RED base, he pulled his little mechanical monster from the compartment in his leg and gave it his best pitch, hitting squarely in the center of the door. The object, a mechanical hand modified to have a mind of it's own, curled into a fist as it flew, making a nice knocking sound on impact, and working to regain it's composure after it landed.

"KNOCK KNOCK, YA BASTARDS. Anybody home?"
Henry Adams

Re: Knock Knock, Tap Tap (Henry, Niklas, Geraldo, Open)

Postby Puffin » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:05 pm

"We don't want whatever you're selling!" Niklas knew it was Henry long before he heard his engineer friend's voice. The distinctive clank of the man's leg with every other step gave it away. It was something he had noticed even before the loss of his eyesight, and now it was all the more obvious with his increasingly sensitive hearing. Whatever hit the door was still a mystery though.

The infirmary window opened, and the big Swede poked himself outside, turning his head in the direction of the noise. Wearing nothing but his boxers, with his eyes closed and his hair a mess, he almost looked as if he were sleepwalking or sleeping standing up. But he never cared much for making a fuss about his appearance in front of friends, and it mattered even less now that he couldn't see himself.

Still, the fact that the guy had shown up made him feel much better. He gave his friend a big smile, laughing a bit. "I'm here, yes. I'm glad you showed up, I've been bored to tears. What hit the door?"
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Postby Henry Adams » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:11 pm

As soon as the window opened, the little hand-monster skittered across the deck and up the wall. Slowly making its way up the wooden siding and towards the exposed arms of the nonchalantly crippled viking.

"It's a little project I've been working on since the warehouse went down. What's up, did you just get out of bed? I don't think I've ever seen you without your glasses on."

Stepping onto the porch, Henry kept his eye half on the creation and half on his friend, which wasn't difficult as the little beast was inches away from giving the medic a nasty surprise.
Henry Adams

Postby Puffin » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:17 pm

"What's that scratching noise?" Niklas could hear something. Something crawling closer, by the sound of it. "Henry, you better not be planning anything, I swear." Sure, the guy visits him for the first time in forever and he's already up to no good, typical.

He gave a bit of a joyless smirk at the engineer's comment. "Well, they wouldn't do me much good now. Don't you know... oh no, you don't know, do you?" He had forgotten. They hadn't bumped into each other the entire time since the monster died, so how would he know? "Well, ah..." he focused on the direction of the engineer's voice once again, and opened his useless, clouded eyes. "There was a respawn glitch."
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Postby Henry Adams » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:24 pm

Henry nearly fell over when the medic opened his eyes.

"JESUS FUCK. Damnit, I told you guys I needed to get in their and fix your system before something like this happened! These systems are put together like a freaking Ikea cabinet. They take tools noone owns, and they fall apart if you SNEEZE on them. What's with you swede's and your crappy plywood, anyway? No real trees left to harvest, or what?"

It was at this moment that the little creature chose to pounce, flinging itself neatly onto the viking's elbow and clamping down for the inevitable reaction.
Henry Adams

Postby Puffin » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:35 pm

Niklas was mildly annoyed, now. "Fixing respawn is not my job! I mentioned it to Kurt, but he kept insisting that he didn't know much about it, that you were the person more suited to fix it. I guess the message never reached you, since now I've been sitting around with nonfunctional eyes. I don't even have light sensitivity!" The respawn machine could've given him that, at least, but nooooo. Perpetual darkness.

The comment about cabinets made him feel a little bit better, his expression softening visibly into a small smile. "Actually, we have forests full of trees, but furniture from IKEA is shitty and cheap, and you don't go there for things that are intended to last."

It was about that time that the metal hand decided to jump and land on his arm. He bolted upright, hitting his upper back on the window frame and crying out in pain. He quickly grabbed the offending machine, trying to pull it off, unable to make any sense of it in his panic. "What did you do?!"
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Henry Adams » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:52 pm

Watching Nik's reaction was all it took to bring Henry from mild panic to hysteria, nearly falling over, trying not to laugh himself to death.

"BWAAAHA. I didn't tell him to do that, I swear! Fuckin' GENIUS. You alright, man? Still have a spine?"

The pest in question was having its own internal panic attack as it was tugged, and reacted by cinching it's fingers around its perch.

"GERALDO, RELEASE."

For a moment the device ignored the command, before finally, almost reluctantly, it let the viking pull it off, idly observing the situation and waiting to react.
Henry Adams

Postby Puffin » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:34 pm

"Fuck you, that isn't funny," he gave the engineer a rather nasty look, 'staring' at him with his off-colored eyes, not turning his head away the entire time. Normally he would've laughed, but in this situation, his chances of injuring himself were exponentially higher on a good day, and with pranks like these, things could get ugly real fast. He would likely have a bruise. Thankfully not more than that, so long as Henry kept his hands to himself.

He tore it off of his arm as soon as the machine let go, feeling it with both hands to try and get an idea of what this thing was, not particularly caring if he was using too much force to do it with. It felt like a hand when it grabbed him, and upon further inspection, it was a hand. A metal hand, complete with finger joints and some sort of power source.

"What does this stupid thing do?" he asked, still 'staring.' He decided he didn't want the contraption anymore and threw it in Henry's general direction. He deserved a little bit of catharsis, at least.
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Henry Adams » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:45 pm

"SHIT." With a little hop, Henry narrowly dodged the flying appendage, which rolled, righted itself, and crawled back to the still giggling engineer.

"What it does, sir, is learn from its mistakes. An on-board power source, an iron grip, and a mind of its own. It literally thinks for itself. Pretty groovy, huh? That toss might have him thinking twice before he starts pouncing on people again."

Picking the little thing up off the floor, he placed it on his shoulder and tapped it to let it know that it was supposed to stay where it was.

"Really though, nothing broken? He doesn't mean anything by it, he's just excited."
Henry Adams

ha ha time for alcohol

Postby Puffin » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:03 pm

Niklas sighed and closed his eyes, the anger of the moment passed and more than a little satisfied he had made Henry apparently move out of the way when he threw the hand, judging by the sound. "No, nothing broken. But can I ask you to hold off on the pranking until this gets fixed? It's more frightening when you're in the dark constantly. And more dangerous."

He didn't feel much better once the engineer started explaining. It was a neat, interesting use of technology, he supposed. "But what are the practical applications of such a thing besides scaring your blind friends? You know what? Tell me in a minute."

He closed the window, and the sounds of moving things around and general activity could be heard inside. He emerged a few minutes later, with his metal cane in one hand and a bottle of liquor in the other. It was one of the ones the engineer had cloned, but he had no way of telling what kind it was (not that it mattered). He made his way over to the porch chairs and flopped down, gesturing at the other. "Sit and talk."
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Henry Adams » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:55 pm

Once the medic had brought himself into full view, Henry flopped into a chair and considered the question.

Why the hell did I build this?

A part of him badly wanted there to be a practical purpose to this little menace, but the cold reality was that he just wanted to see that it could be done.

"I guess it really doesn't have a job or anything. It's a sentient hand. I figure that's enough to justify its creation. He'll learn not to pounce eventually. It has programmed self-preservation, so it usually tries to avoid dangerous and stupid situations. He's been pretty alright at retrieving things. Getting into tight places. other stuff like that. I can make him do tricks."

Taking the hand by one finger, he flung it onto the porch rail. With a quick gesture, it received the command and proceeded to knock a can of bug spray off of the rail, then jump down and roll it over to the lounging pair.

"I now have... Bug-Death insect repellent. When did you guys get this stuff?"
Henry Adams

Postby Puffin » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:09 pm

Niklas opened the bottle of mystery liquid, taking a swig. Was that... scotch? Why did they have a bottle of scotch? He wasn't complaining really, but it was entirely unexpected, especially considering the fact that the last few times he had reached for a bottle he had gotten cheap vodka.

"So you made it just because?" He wasn't particularly surprised. That seemed to be Henry's modus operandi. "But if it jumps on me again I am going to smash it into tiny bits. The only thing allowed to pounce on me is your dog." He probably would've appreciated it more if he could see it in action. He wished the dog was here, he could do with some cuddling.

He wasn't sure what the hand was doing exactly, the sounds it made were strange. He did hear something roll up to them, and putting down the alcohol and feeling around for it, he picked it up, feeling it with his hands and shaking it a bit. Bug spray.

"I don't know. Someone must've left it out here. There's a ton of junk laying around this base." Not that he would've been able to notice it unless someone pointed it out.
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Henry Adams » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:20 pm

"Junk seems to be the defining term out here, huh? Speaking of the dog, I haven't seen him today. I think he's out wrestling gators."

Probably drowning them at this point. That'd be just like my dog, to go out drowning toothy monsters in his free time...

The thought sent a mild chill down his spine, even as it made him chuckle. He made a mild note of Geraldo crawling up into the chair, opening the leg-compartment and crawling in. Staring out at the swamp for what seemed to be the hundredth time this week, he let his thoughts drift for a moment.

"So how'd everybody else get back? Any other weird ones?"
Henry Adams

Postby Puffin » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:34 pm

"Well if he comes around here, I'm going to wrestle him myself. I even have a handicap now so it will even the playing field, me having thumbs probably isn't entirely fair." It was about time for another romp with the dog anyway. Dogs and kids and other cute animals always made Niklas feel better, and he needed a mood lifter right about now.

He set the bugspray down on the table in between the two chairs. He couldn't stare at the swamp, so he settled for stretching his legs out and tilting his head back and listening to it instead. About as noisy as ever, filled with bugs and water and God knew what else. But then Henry asked the million dollar question which brought him back to reality. "Besides me?," he asked, sitting up straight again. "Well, James seems... off, somehow. He just seems to be acting differently, like something has changed somehow. It's hard for me to describe. I hope he's okay, if it's something serious I would likely have to take him to you guys..."

And that wasn't the only thing that had happened. He wasn't exactly sure how to say it, so he might as well just spit it out. "And Rufus... you know, the other medic? He uh... he hasn't respawned at all."
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Henry Adams » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:18 pm

"Aw shit, fish guy? He should have been back by now. You want me to check the system for his data while I'm in there repairing all the breaks? Unfortunately, the cure for all that ails you is another trip through sans errors."

Henry tapped his fingers on the arm of the chair, idly attempting to remember what he could about the dolphin medic.

"I can't honestly say I knew the guy well enough to feel bad that he isn't around yet. I think I only met him once in all the time he spent with us, and once again during the great battle of swamp-rat. Still though, it's a point of pride that these machines should be working at maximum capacity by this point. I should have had this taken care of ages ago."

A streak of gray shot across the scene as the similarly named dog took a running leap onto the viking's lap from the place he was least expected; Namely, the front door of the base. Once he was firmly planted on the man's lap, he rested his head on the broad chest and promptly fell asleep.
Henry Adams

Postby Puffin » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:46 pm

Niklas couldn't help but snort in laughter at 'fish guy.' It was a little mean, he knew, especially considering the circumstances. "So I take it you didn't talk to him much? He seemed close with Gerhard but..."

He sighed, leaning back in the chair again. "I can't say I liked him. I tried to introduce myself to him, but his first words to me were a death threat. Then he proceeded to yell at everyone about not doing a good enough job, including Gerhard, who saved his life in the first place. Then he started going on about how he believed that treating people poorly was the way to get what you wanted from them. This from the supposed team leader. It just rubbed me in every wrong way possible."

He turned his head towards Henry. "He even got Kurt to hate him. Kurt! But I guess I shouldn't celebrate the circumstances. Speaking of respawn and Kurt, do you think the two of you could work together to fi--" he stopped suddenly, jerking his head towards the doorway. He had heard the distinctive sound of nails and feet on a hardwood floor. "Is that...?"

He had his answer as he heard those feet running, and suddenly something large and furry landed in his lap. He reached out and grabbed it instinctively, but his tense reaction soon turned to joy, as he pulled the big furball closer and gave him a big hug. "Doggie! You knew we were talking about you, didn't you!"
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Henry Adams » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:44 pm

As the medic squeezed the dog, Grey rolled in a way only animals seem to be capable of, rolling completely over without moving from his position. Once he had made a complete circuit, he flopped onto his side and rested his chin on the top of the man's head.

"Christ, Grey, chill out! I swear that dog's going to kill someone some day. It's gotta take a good amount of effort to make a guy like Kurt actively despise you. Was he really that bad?"

Henry popped open his compartment and was immediately handed a flask by the dormant hand. He took a quick swig, and set it onto the ground, then clicked the compartment shut again.

"I'm sure we can get the system into working condition again. Ours isn't quite done. I swear I've fixed every break and rerouted everything to its proper place, but something is still futsing around in there."
Henry Adams

Postby Puffin » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:11 pm

Niklas was entirely unsure of what the dog was doing, even after the ball of fluff had settled on his head he was still a bit confused. He decided to go with it for now, just leaning against the fuzzball and using him as a pillow, looking much happier than he was before.

"He was pretty bad. Just kind of a rude, entitled asshole. The rudeness is what bothered Kurt the most, I think. What bothered me most was that he thought that acting that way was acceptable. And the fact that he seemed to be under the impression that he had a more fundamental understanding of how the world worked than us."

Eventually he got tired of the odd position, and moved the dog to a more comfortable position with the animal's head on his chest. "But maybe we still have a chance if we fix respawn? I give you full permission to continually bother Kurt about it."
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Henry Adams » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:58 am

A vaguely confused look passed across Henry's face as he listened to Nik's personality profile of the man. He had been unconscious for the majority of his time spent in Henry's presence, and not a lot of personality details could be drawn from carrying his weight out of the swamp.

"Huh. Sounds like an ass to me."

Interesting, he thought, how you can help a guy off the ground without ever knowing that he was meant to be there.

"I thank you for your permission to go bug somebody else about the issue. I'll be sure to go do that sometime. Meanwhile, did anything else go down that I should know about? I think I've managed to get a working knowledge of what breaks cause what kinds of problems, so any other issues might push me in the right direction."
Henry Adams

ha ha time for exposition and text walls

Postby Puffin » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:08 pm

The doctor shrugged. "I tend to agree. But he's dead now, possibly permanently. If he does come back at all I hope he learns a lesson in respect." Niklas hadn't been able to muster up much sympathy for the other medic during his gruesome demise, and even after his apparently permanent death felt no emotional stirrings. Some would call it mean-spirited, but he called it karma.

But there wasn't much more to be said about the dead man, and the conversation turned onto a much more immediate subject. "Well..." he shifted uncomfortably in the chair, scratching Grey behind the ears nervously. "Before this whole monster killing business, there was a pretty serious incident."

"I don't know if you knew one of our soldiers, Josif. He disappeared shortly after my arrival in the winter. But a couple of months ago he suddenly respawned dead. No life signs at all. The body was in terrible shape, malnourished and very unkempt. Kurt and I brought the corpse to the infirmary to try and get the respawn chip and take a look at it to figure it out."

His brow furrowed. The story after this got increasingly unbelievable, but with this place's track record he hoped Henry would follow. "This is where it gets strange. Before I made the first incision, I heard a voice. I turned around to see Josif, as a ghost. He looked a lot like the other respawn ghost that we found in our warehouse. But before I could get any answers, the body rose up and cut my throat. I only lived long enough to hear the ghost scream and the zombie or whatever it was make a move for the door."

"I respawned later without any problems, but just in time to see not-Josif rummaging through resupply. He was looking at the sword you gave me. Your sword! That simply would not do, so I grabbed it once he picked another one and we fought. Long story short, I lost. He stabbed me and killed Connal with my own sword, then took some weapons and got the hell out."

He sighed. He wanted to get revenge on the zombie, but now it seemed like such an activity would be put on hold. "So now there's possibly a half-dead, armed sociopath running around somewhere in the swamp. No one else has seemed to run into him, so maybe he died or just left, but you never really know."
Puffin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Front Porch