Calling in the Reserves

A little space before the main entrance that looks out over the Battlefield and the swamps beyond. A nice spot to sit and chat when there's nothing on the television.

Calling in the Reserves

Postby Henry Adams » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:57 am

"OOOOOOOY!" Henry shouts from the front porch, standing casually in his traditional blue-jeans and tucked camo t-shirt. A half-chewed toothpick hung from his teeth as he called out and waved his arms. "Anybody home today, or am I just spittin' in the wind!?"

Can't imagine they'd all be out at once. Could be ignoring me, but that would just be in poor taste. After a moment, he let out one more holler. "YOU LAZY BASTARDS GET OUT HERE AND SALUTE YOUR COMMANDIN' OFFICER BEFORE I STRING YE UP BY YER ASSES AND FEED YE TO THE DOGS!!"
Henry Adams

Re: Calling in the Reserves

Postby Penultimate Pi » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:35 am

Josif wasn't in the mood for it. Just the wrong time and place for some crazy guy to show up. A new recruit? Doubtful; the boat would've shown up earlier.

"Take your loud-assed attitude and feed it to the gators before I do it myself, Slim!" Josif retorted, stepping into the doorway and glaring at the stranger angrily. The man looked like he'd wandered in from outta the swamp and wanted to vent commands at the REDs because he had nothing better to do.

That was, to put it bluntly, at least. Josif would've been more welcoming if the man just wasn't so damn rude.
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Henry Adams » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:44 am

"Heh, sorry about the harsh words stranger. I don't like to yell too much if I don't have to, and three is my limit." The soldier had an interesting look about him. Something about the way he stood seemed worn out, overdone. He had an air of 'don't give two shits right now', but his eyes were almost sad. "I wouldn't have pulled the 'commanding officer bit' but I wasn't sure anybody was even home, let alone willing to talk to a crazy bastard like me." Henry beamed at the man, determined to turn the situation around.

"Mind if we start over? Henry Z. Adams, researcher, engineer, philanthropist, and so on. I've been hearing a lot of noise about the bad shape these old bases are in, and I'd like to lend a hand. You interested?
Henry Adams

Postby Penultimate Pi » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:00 am

Josif, reassured by the words the stranger gave, replied, "Yeah, you can probably tell I'm stressed out at the moment, and to be honest, you being here isn't helping much." Josif looked the man over, and saw that he really was fairly slim. And also, the clothes he wore really seemed to be a bit... unfitting for an engineer that Henry claimed himself to be. Maybe he really was crazy, but the man was at least acting reasonable.

Josif raised a curious eyebrow at the proposal. "Before you go too far, I'd like to know the catch. I'm willing to bet you didn't waltz over here from the next town just to yell at us and offer repairs for no cost," Josif said. It may have sounded a bit short and mean, but again, Josif wasn't in the mood for caring too much. If this was something quick, he wanted it over with as quick as he could get it. "So tell me: What are you offering, and what do you want in return?"
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Henry Adams » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:22 am

"Y'know what? I think I like you, kid. You get to the point, no nonsense, but you still have enough decency to consider when charity is offered and question it kindly. You're right, there's a catch, but if you're the decent guy I think you are, it won't be much trouble."
Here comes the hard part...

"Now I've only got two conditions for this, so listen up. Firstly, you have to accept my help. That probably doesn't sound too hard, but stick with me on this one. Secondly, who I am stays between you and me, a'right? Truth is, way back when, I used to have Builder's League loyalties. I was the division head for the W.A.T.E.R. sector, if you'll excuse the crappy acronym. Stands for Weapons And Tactical Equipment Research. I did weapon dev, and had a hand in damn near every modern convenience a good base has. For this hell-hole, that means I know the ins and outs of respawn, and a whole hell of a lot about the way the companies work. On top of that, I'm the best damn mechanic this side of the pacific ocean, and a fair hand at damn near every craft known to man." Henry pulled the toothpick out of his mouth and twirled it idly between his fingers. "That enough to make up for being an ex-BLU?"
Henry Adams

Postby Penultimate Pi » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:50 pm

Josif listened intently to Henry's explanation. It was certainly an interesting experience he held, something that would benefit the team greatly. Henry was, indeed, a BLU prior, but the man must've had his own reasons for leaving. In any case, being a BLU before would give him some slight knowledge of what BLU had at this base, along witt applications to their own. But he wasn't quite to the point yet.

"Certainly a convincing story, I'll say. I don't want to sound like I think you're lying, though," Josif quickly added. "You must've had a good, solid reason to quit BLU and show up on your doorstep. But I won't go into that. I'm still a bit perplexed as to what your actual offer is, sir."

Josif adjusted himself, leaning on the doorframe with a somewhat more casual, yet still serious air about the infantryman. "So what's the deal? This a part-time effort, or are you just applying for RED team manually?"
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Henry Adams » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:51 pm

Henry stepped up to the wooden railing and beamed over it. "Glad we got that out of the way. Here we are, then. I have it on good authority, namely my own two eyes, that you need repairs pretty badly. I want to give them to you, and I want to give you the opportunity to get the supplies you so desperately need. If you're interested, meet me at the rail-station in the swamp. Three days, got it? Get ready, and bring along anyone else who might be interested. Heavy lifters are always appreciated."

Henry paced back towards the swamp and gave a backwards wave goodbye. "Don't let me down, kid!" And then he grinned again.
Henry Adams

Postby Penultimate Pi » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:09 am

Josif just stared at the slim man, watching him go off into the swamp.

...Wasn't the station at the Respawn border? Why was he offering this help, exactly? It couldn't just be out of good fortune, but Henry did seem fairly truthful, for the man he was making himself out to be. And why would an ex-BLU give a (swamp) Rat's ass about RED? Even if BLU happened to displease the man, was their team really so bad that an Engineer would intentionally help the other side?

So many questions, but no true answers. Josif knew one thing, though; Henry was definitely suspicious. Nobody would believe that this prior BLU Engineer had walked up their front door in such a late hour to offer the team help at the edge of Respawn. It was all far too crazy. But supplies and tools to fix the base up with, at such a convenient time? Tempting, but even more suspicious.

And yet, despite the never-direct answers and strange, there-and-gone attitude about Henry, Josif found a bit of trust in the slim man. Anything was worth shot at this point. The hard part was telling everyone else that.

Three days. This should better be worth it, Josif thought as he finally strode back inside. Time for another meeting, perhaps; no benefit in spreading a rumor.
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Return to Front Porch