To Whom it May Concern (Closed Journal)

Because the metal, rusting stature of this building threatens life, it's typical for people to try and avoid it. It holds intel, respawn, and even a way to contact the administrator, same as RED battlements. It can be accessed at any time, though RED is generally not allowed.

To Whom it May Concern (Closed Journal)

Postby Henry Adams » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:03 pm

The battlements, in the midst of cease-fire, remain unused and untouched. This makes them a perfect place for one to hide that which should not yet be found. Between two clumps of weeds, growing through the concrete, a small canister has been hidden, camouflaged against the plain grey of the floor and the wall it rests on. In it is contained a small note-book, bound in leather and tied with a red cloth to keep it shut. The first page reads thusly:

"Friday, April 27. After the incident at the warehouse, I've decided to keep a record of my work. All threats until now have been tangible. Monsters are made of flesh and blood, and ill-spirited team-mates are easily won over with smiles and kindness. What we face now cannot be fought with weapons, or diplomacy. It acts on us like a virus, slowly depleting our wills, and infecting our bodies. The rad levels that we released by opening that cellar door of beyond anything I've seen in my previous work. Even weaponry and machinery that was designed to take advantage of nuclear power hasn't leaked so badly; these levels are more indicative of nuclear fall-out than the simple leaking that is the actual cause.

I decided to counter-act this issue and solve the problem of our energy deficit in one fell swoop. Using the same principles as those used to develop solar panels to convert light on the visible and infrared spectrum into electrical energy, I hoped to convert this higher-frequency radiation into something we could use. By taking advantage of the many, MANY prototype designs for the small-scale replicator I have designed, which I decided to name the Total Matter Replicator (More on that particular device later) I carefully arranged particles into sheets of material, packing them closely enough to capture the extremely high-frequency waves of Gamma radiation that fill the air. Typically, Gamma radiation slips through all but the densest of materials, as it's high frequency and low wave-length are approximately the size of half a proton. By arranging matter in this fashion, I believe I have managed to layer it in such a way as to prevent the radiation from escaping, and thus it must necessarily convert to thermal energy on contact with the plates. I've lined the plates with high-conductivity wire to gather this thermal energy and feed it as electricity into the base's central capacitor.

I'm not yet sure if my design will work. It will take at least a week to see any relevant drop in radiation levels within the generator room itself, let-alone the base as a whole. If it does work though, the drop-off in rads will grow exponentially as time goes on, so I expect that the base will return to relatively safe levels within two months. Once the radiation levels have dropped, I'll have to find a new way to generate power for the combined bases (more on those efforts later). I may actually be able to use this plating to begin work on the solution to that problem as well. If all goes well with that plan, expect to see details soon enough.

Wish me luck.
-H.Z.Adams."
Henry Adams

Re: To Whom it May Concern (Closed Journal)

Postby Henry Adams » Wed May 02, 2012 8:41 pm

On the second page of the journal, a rough sketch of a Gunslinger hand has been rendered in deep shadows, standing on its fingers. Below it is a mechanical draft of the same model, depicting the inner workings. The third page of the journal relates the following story:

"Wednesday, May 2. During the ill-fated warehouse raid, I uncovered a model-1 Gunslinger, often used by Engineers and technicians to take the place of lost hands or increase work efficiency, if they are particularly ambitious. From the moment I found it, I was fascinated. This particular model was developed just over thirty years ago, while I was eighteen years of age. It was the first in a long line of reliable products, and has developed nicely over time. I recall being so enthralled by the product, and the implications there-in, that my university thesis five years later was a retrospective on the genius of its design, in regards to its workings, applications, and possible expansions into more prevelant portions of the human anatomy. It is this very model that was the basis for research that went into my development of the mechanical limbs that I even now take advantage of for my own use, after the dreaded swamp-beast so kindly relieved me of the burden of my own lefty.

I was shocked, at first, that after so long in storage the model was still in working order, but this only served to boost my respect for those who were responsible for it. With some poking and prodding, and a fair amount of electrical current, I found, one by one, that each finger retained function (though the middle has lost slight range of motion). I spent some hours on this, but even more time pondering what to do with it. While t he admirer in me would have loved nothing more than to mount it in a plexiglass box, never to be touched, I couldn't seem to justify the idea, which lead to my final decision.

I've embedded a small power-source into the workings of the hand, and will be recieving a prototype AI from a contact I made in the very university I mentioned previously. He is sending me only the frame-work, but the basis is quite advanced, with great potential in the fields of self-education and automation. Mind you, it has no-where near the theortical capabilities that researchers would like to achieve, but many of my friend's peers believe that this is the beginning. I find it fitting that the first piece of a new technology should be held within the origins of an established master-piece, and by using this, I hope to do credit to both works. My only fear is that the resulting experiment doesn't get into much trouble, or into an alligator's belly.

Another step towards the future, my friends.
-H.Z.Adams."
Henry Adams

Postby Henry Adams » Fri May 25, 2012 3:59 pm

The fourth page is scrawled somewhat haphazardly, as though the author was in a hurry to be elsewhere. On the fifth page, a rough image of layered spheres, representing atoms and their bonds, is depicted, with a notation reading 'Don't lose this pattern!!!'

"May something, it's a friday. This, however, is unimportant, as the next three days will consist largely of sleep. I've spent the last week, maybe two, up at all hours. With the rad-shielding running at full capacity (did I mention that?) and the source contained, we have more energy than we know what to do with, so I've been working constantly to diagnose all of the systems that need repair, and I think I've made good progress. Last night I made a breakthrough while looking through the respawn system, and stumbled across old .dmp files (or dump files, which are used as back-ups in case of system failure). These files date all the way back to the systems creation, and contain not only dosiers on the previous team-members, but FULL RESPAWN DATA. The entire structure of every team member from the creation of the base until today is held in a folder in the system database, depicted entirely in binary (used to indicate which portions of the electro-magnetic grid need to be on and off in order to arrange the particles properly).

I located Enrico's original file (he had somewhat of a vitamin D deficiency shortly before his death), found Gerhard's induction file, and even isolated Joey's (Twelve's) skeletal structure. All of this without tampering with current data.

Judging by the frequency of the file creations, it seems like the respawn system has a total breakdown and gets itself back into working order about once a month. From what I've seen of the system, there's nothing to warrant this, but there's still a vast network of machinery that needs to be looked to. For those of you that don't know, the console and the tube isn't even half of the system. In addition to that, a large-scale supercomputer is stored beneath the system itself, and is needed to process the hundreds of Terabytes of code necessary to store a living human being, let alone reconstruct them. Expand this to a whole team's worth of people, and compound it due to the storage of old .dmp files, and I think I've discovered half of our problem. Just holding onto that data has to be a huge strain on the system, but it doesn't have any instructions that allow it to dump the old, so it just builds up like junk in a closet until you open the door and get death by board-games.

To be clear, that's not all that's wrong. I still have to locate the maintanence hatch and take a look at the full system so I can stop whatever 'leak' is causing these monthly reboots. Hopefully the sealent on the hatch has kept the spiders out.

More updates later. Much love.
Henry Z. Adams."
Henry Adams

Postby Henry Adams » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:47 am

The sixth page of the journal is mildly stained with oil, water, and a few unidentifiable chemical compounds. The text is written neatly, and the ink is thick, as though the author was working very carefully to stay legible. On the opposite page is a small sketch of a crocodile skull and a depiction of a full skeleton of the same species. In the lower corner, a note reads 'text unrelated'

Monday, July 16. Actually, I think it's Tuesday now. Regardless, I'm writing this by the light of a small lantern that I've salvaged from what was once the warehouse. In the aftermath of THAT fiasco, I've uncovered many pieces of useful equipment and material left over from what was held inside. I find that I now have more than enough material to rebuild our broken docks, and do some refurbishing to the bases, so I've decided to put the remaining material to good use. I won't go into details quite yet, but with the waters safe, I feel that it's time to properly explore the local tributaries. I've mapped much of the land within respawn range, as well as the routes into and out of town, but without real knowledge of the waterways, much of the potential in the area cannot be put to use.

In other news, I've found good use for the skittering device that I've decided to name Gary. The little hand that I've mentioned previously is learning far faster than I had anticipated, and I feel it may soon be ready for social interaction. Before that, I must teach it not to pinch.

I've begun the process of setting up a complete, air-tight , security system for the bases. With the use of many turrets and a few more interesting technologies, I hope to nip any future monstrosities in the bud. I am, of course, particularly proud of the work I'm doing in the field of unintrusive drone combat. I'd almost like to see the regulators try to shut us down when I'm finished with this. With that temptation in place, I should get some rest. More updates soon, I promise.

Henry Z. Adams"
Henry Adams

Postby Henry Adams » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:02 pm

The eighth and ninth pages of the journal are both filled with text. The pages are crumpled somewhat, and the text small, but sloppy. On the following two pages, drafts of an acoustic levitation system and memory storage crystal have been sketched.

"Sunday, March 3rd. I suppose my last report was a lie, as it's been nearly nine months since I promised to return soon. Things have been hectic, in their own way, since then. There hasn't been much going on, but I've had quite a bit to think about, and what we have done has been significant. With the help of a small team, I've managed to repair as best I can the two respawn systems. All apparent breakages have been fixed, debris has been removed, and missing components replaced. With some effort, we've repaired the docks at least to the degree that shipments can once again be received. In the end, we decided to use a floating, semi-modular system, in the hopes of minimizing future damages. It's been a much slower process, setting up a reasonable security system. I've managed to install a small defense array around the dock, and approximately 1/6th of a system to protect the perimeter of the respawn system. Unfortunately, since the death of the sea-beast, and my well-earned revenge, I've been unable to build a second model of the larger cannon, meaning that what few defenses I've built are small-caliber. In essence, I've created little more than a one mile radius sentry gun system, but I'm confident that it will be enough, when completed, to defend us from any man-sized threats, and inform us of intruders. Of course, at the current rate, it may not be done for a while yet.

That's all quite fascinating, I'm sure, but the security system is actually a lesser concern at the moment, which is much of the reason that it hasn't been completed. At the moment, the respawn system is far more concerning to me. Despite our repairs, there are certain anomalies that I can't seem to isolate. Nothing serious has come of them, so far as I know, but I'd like to rely on a buggy system as little as possible, and towards that end I've begun recording their full structure in the hopes of re-creating it in a third, more stable system, that won't discriminate between companies. I had hoped, in the course of this, to make improvements to the design, but in many ways I find that our resident systems are actually quite a bit more advanced than I would have expected. Thirty years ago, when this outpost stopped receiving regular updates, respawn systems still ran on traditional computing systems, relying on spinning hard-disks to record and track information. Since then, we have moved on to crystal memory storage, using high-grade quartz crystals and a laser reading system, which runs much more quickly, and with far greater capacity. This base, however, seems to have a primitive version of that same system installed, approximately twenty-five years ahead of schedule. I thought, at first, that it may have been updated more recently than we had expected, but the components show degradation consistent with a thirty year old system. It seems to me, that this may have been something of a prototype for the system that has become common-place."

The text continues...

"In some ways, this prototype structure is more efficient than the current model. The current model of system seals a single large memory crystal in a case and surrounds it with a manufactured gel that allows it to remain in suspension. This suspension is necessary, as these crystals can be extremely delicate, and any crack or smudge will corrupt data. A single laser is passed through the crystal to read the enclosed data, and the laser is moved and rotated to read different data. Unfortunately, this gel suspension system can occasionally cause misreads, and so the system is required to go back and re-check all data to ensure accuracy, which significantly slows read times. In this prototype system, an acoustic resonance system is used to levitate three separate, much smaller, crystals, and the crystals themselves are manipulated using this same acoustic system, so that the laser scanner may remain stationary. Each crystal contains data pertaining to one of three coordinates, which are registered with the magnetic grid system within the respawn chamber. There are approximately 36 resonance chambers containing sets of identical crystals, providing ample space for new members to be added into the system, and allowing for duplicate data, which provides added security. If not for the fact that I've witnessed these system anomalies, I would say that the man who declined the use of this system was clearly insane. I don't yet know if the anomalies are related to this storage system, and a part of me hopes that they aren't, but I'm beginning to run out of machinery to check, and these acoustic chambers are the only part of the system that can't be accessed without special tools.

I hope, soon, to locate the source of the anomalies and rule out the crystal storage system, so that I may use this more effective method of suspension in my designs. In the mean time, I continue to map the system, and make what improvements I can. While certain portions, such as the memory storage unit, are comparatively advanced, others are surprisingly simplistic, and open to damage and tampering. These less advanced portions can be replaced with more modern systems, and extra protection will be added. I've yet to map more than a full fifth of the system, but if the current trend continues, I hope to cut the system's size approximately in half. By building a new system from the ground up, I should be able to eliminate those irritating anomalies and produce a more reliable primary respawn unit for the base to use. I only hope I can complete its construction more quickly than the year or more that most technician teams manage.

Wish me luck,
Henry Z. Adams"

Henry Adams

Return to BLU Battlements