Barking At The Moon (Wolf!Sykes, Gerhard)

Tumblr, IRC, and so on! Post all your links, logs, and so forth here. This space may be used to post events played off the forum, and will be considered technically canon.

Barking At The Moon (Wolf!Sykes, Gerhard)

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:30 pm

Sykes and I have been working on this for a while, and it's 18 pages long, so it'll be broken up into smaller posts to keep it manageable.
Enjoy! :D
Also, this is actually canon, so... Take from that what you will.

---

The snickers and ill attempts to whisper as he walked by were all heard, thanks to rather pointed furry ears that were pulled back under his helmet. His lower jaw was set in a jutted position, large teeth curved in a sneer. He ignored them all, using his helmet to hide most of his face as he stormed through the base. If they had an Engineer he'd be at the man's throat right now. But no. There was only one person he could talk to. Sykes stood in front of the double doors before banging his fist against them. “MEDIC! MEDIC, ARE YOU IN THERE?”

The TentaMedic jerked at the harsh knock, very nearly dropping the clipboard he'd been using to take stock of the supplies that were used in the day's battle. A tentacle caught it, and he quickly grabbed the clipboard back, shooing the tentacle back into hiding before heading for the door. "Ja, zhe door ist open!"

The Soldier shoved open the door, letting it slam close behind him as he walked straight into the room, the problem already very apparent. "MEDIC. THAT POOR EXCUSE FOR A REGENERATION STATION CALLED RESPAWN REALLY DID A NUMBER THIS TIME. JUST LOOK AT WHAT IT DID TO ME." As if he needed anymore clarification, he bowed his head forward, pulling off his helmet to show what he meant. Covered in fur, triangular ears framed the side of his face, fangs set in a permanent lock. He looked none too happy about this.

Gerhard stiffened, eyes widening a second before he managed to compose himself. At least the man looked to be put together well enough... He sighed, setting the clipboard aside. "Vell, Kommen Sie, ve vill see was can be done..."

The panic that Sykes had been feeling seemed to shrink as he mistook the Medic's words for sure hope that this could be fixed. He tucked his helmet under his arm, giving what could be taken as a smile in some way. "GOOD NEWS. JUST WHAT I LIKE TO HEAR." Without even being instructed to do so, the Soldier took a seat atop a gurney, legs hanging off the edge as he waited for some miracle cure.

"Herr, I vould appreciate it if you would keep dein voice down vhile in mein Infirmary, zhere ist no need for such volume in zhis small space." The doctor moved to close the door, taking a moment to check the hall in case there were any other new special cases running around before closing and locking the double doors. He moved to get a few basic tools to perform a basic examination, pausing a moment before picking up an empty hypodermic as well. Might as well get a blood sample and see if there was something going on there... Instructing the Soldier to strip down, the Medic carefully proceeded to give the newly changed man a thorough examination, the procedure practically ingrained after years of schooling and his work at the research facility prior to this base.

Sykes wasn't really keen on giving up his strong voice, the only thing he seemed to have now-- but even that had the roll of a growl at the end of his words. So instead he chose to stay silent, setting his haphazardly folded fatigues behind him on the slab, he remained in his boxers and tank top. It seemed the fur covered every inch, joint areas having longer hair such as at the elbows, the backs of his calves, and down his spine. He wasn't too welcoming to the Medic's closeness but held still, just wanting to be fixed and willing to do anything to make it as such.

The silence was quite welcome, allowing the doctor to proceed with speed, and was soon straightening, frowning slightly. "Vell, outside zhe cosmetic effect, I vould say zhat you are now zhe owner of ein vastly improved cardiovascular system und judging by zhe ears und definition of zhe nose, you also have some enhanced senses. Zhankfully, everyzhing seems to have been put togezzer vell, sehr zhere shouldt be no complications in zhe future."

He didn't know what was worse. Hearing the Medic mistake his genetic structure as a blessing... Or the fact that his ears slowly twitched and lowered at the news. "I DON'T CARE ABOUT MEDICAL MUMBO-JUMBO OF HOW GOOD MY SENSE OF SMELL IS, MEDIC. I JUST WANT TO HEAR THAT YOU CAN CHANGE ME BACK."

Though the volume made his ears ring, Gerhard barely flinched, giving the Soldier a less-than-impressed look and crossing his arms over his chest. "Herr, until ve know vhat caused zhe change, I am afraid zhat zhere ist little I can do. I can take ein blut sample und examine it to see if somezhing vas altered from your records, but at zhis point in time, you shouldt be grateful zhat you still have full use of dein fingers und are nicht suffocating on zhe floor. It could have been much vorse."

He scowled, a bubbling growl leaving his mouth before he could stop it. He bit it off, shaking his head to make it stop. "THE USE OF MY FINGERS WON'T COUNT FOR BEANS IF I'M STUCK LIKE THIS. WE LOST TODAY, MEDIC. I NEED TO WHIP OUR TEAM INTO SHAPE. AND I CAN'T DO THAT EFFECTIVELY WITH MY TEAM LAUGHING AT ME BECAUSE I LOOK LIKE I JUST STEPPED OUT OF A PG-RATED HORROR MOVIE!" He generally spoke in a loud voice but that last phrase was bit off higher than the others, lips curled back to show off the marvel of fangs he seemed to be given. "I CAN'T WORK LOOKING LIKE THIS. I LOOK LIKE A MONSTER. NO ONE LISTENS TO FREAKS, MEDIC. NO ONE WILL TAKE ME SERIOUSLY."

For a moment, the Medic made no reply, then his eyes narrowed, and the faint frown deepening as his brow furrowed. "If zhat ist was you zhink, zhen I cannicht help you." Retrieving his equipment, the doctor made no further comment as he moved from the gurney to the cabinets, grabbing a few alcohol wipes to sanitize things before putting them back in their proper places.

Sykes grabbed his uniform, pulling each article of clothing as fast as he could as he continued to speak, hopping in place to get his leg back into his pants. "AND WHY NOT? YOU SAID YOU COULD DO A BLOOD TEST. WE FIND OUT WHAT'S WRONG AND KILL IT."

A moment's stillness, and the doctor huffed shortly through his nose as he turned his back on the man-wolf, dumping the unused hypodermic into the sink on his way over to put away his stethoscope. "Ve vould possibly be able to find out vhat vas changed, but zhere ist only ein very slim chance zhat it would be reversible or even capable of being reduced."

"D-DETAILS, SOLDIER. THE MILITARY SENT AN ARMY OF 150 TO THE FRONT LINES AGAINST AN ENEMY OF 500. THEY HAD 10% CHANCE OF SUCCESS." He seemed to pause, grunting as he pulled his jacket back over his head and shoving his helmet back on. "THEY DIDN'T WIN, BUT THEY EASILY COULD HAVE." What a futile argument. "MEDIC, THERE'S GOTTA BE SOMETHING YOU CAN DO. ANYTHING."

The Medic frowned as if thinking, then reached into a pocket, whipping around and pressing a scalpel to the Soldier's throat, his expression deadpan and cold. "I couldt kill you und see if zhe Respawn fixes was it fouled up."
Last edited by Gerhard Melsbach on Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Re: Barking At The Moon (Wolf!Sykes, Gerhard)

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:31 pm

The Soldier stiffened immediately at the reoccurring closeness, chin tipped up slightly at the threat of a small knife pressed against his neck. He could feel it against his fur but stifled any frustrated sounds. The possibility of trying to come back through Respawn never really occurred. But he would much more prefer a gun to his face than a blade to his neck. "YOU-! ... You could," he muttered, his tone dialing down that to normal level but only because the Medic wasn't giving him many options.

Gerhard simply glared for a moment, the slim blade of the scalpel pressing just a tad bit closer and sheering off a few strands of fur before he huffed and removed the threat, straightening. "Ja, I could. Und also risk you dying permanently in ein after hours Respawn or zhe alterations becoming vorse."

When the other moved out of his personal space the Soldier stepped back, rubbing his neck just to relieve the irritated feeling of his fur, claws grating through it. ".... SO THEN RESPAWN ISN'T AN OPTION TILL THE NEXT BATTLE BEGINS." There was a glimmer of hope of returning to normal but that was so far away. He needed to get his team up and ready before then. But it was impossible looking like this. It was almost maddening, feeling like this. No doubt probably karma. He straightened out his jacket, popping the collar back up to at least hid most of what he could. "THANK YOU, MEDIC. YOUR ADVICE AND WORK IS... COMMENDABLE."

"Really? You zhink so?" Moving back a step, the Medic reached into the breast pocket of his uniform coat, pulling out what looked like a pocket watch. There was a faint click, and the illusion of human form quite abruptly vanished like bad television reception. "Even vhen I am, as you say, a freak?"

A single claw itched the flat of his nose but moved to tip his helmet up when Gehard began to speak nonsense. "WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, MED- JESUS CHRIST!!!" The Soldier had to take several steps back even if there was already plenty of space between them. His hand was already reaching for the supporting and trusted weapon of a frying pan that was clipped to his belt. The Medic had been fine just a moment ago, and suddenly- Suddenly, his legs- There were more than just two! And not just that! They weren't legs- they were tentacles! "WHAT IN SAM HILL ARE YOU?"

"I am your doctor, zhat is all zhat is important." Leaving the disguise off, Gerhard went back to putting his equipment away, his tentacles shifting smoothly over one another to allow him proper locomotion on land. A bit of closer examination showed that the tentacles weren't the only change hidden by the disguise, his skin abnormally pale and his teeth sharpened into fangs. "Before you ask, nein, I did nicht villing become was I am today, but I did nicht have zhe choice of Respawn, so I made zhe best of it. You shouldt do zhe same."

The Soldier didn't move from his spot, even as Gehard moved about as if nothing was abnormal or wrong with this picture. He couldn't seem to look away from the mass of curling limbs, the sleek look hypnotizing yet disgusting to watch. Like a train accident about to happen, a man couldn't look away even if he wanted to. His ears twitched under his helmet, picking up the Medic's words. He moved but to take side steps, small ones at that, keeping the same about of space between them. He didn't know how long those things were or how fast. They could be like snakes for all he knew. "How long....?" Sykes couldn't finish his question, unsure if he was ready to hear the answer of how long the Doctor had been like this.

A short huff. "Fours years. Und zhe sctupid zhings schtill don't alvays obey mir..." Bright blue eyes glanced downwards, casting a halfhearted glare towards the prehensile lengths of pure muscle. "I vear zhe disguise to keep new arrivals from panicking, zhey are usually razzer unnerved by mein lower half."

The Medic could say that again. But what seemed to strike a nerve was the mention of years. Four years to be exact. Stuck like that, reduced to wearing a disguise around his team mates so as to not startle them. While the Doctor seemed fine and dandy about such things, Sykes was much farther from feeling the same. No, no, no. This base was suppose to change things for the better, not make them worse. "How can you just-- Keep on living like that? For years?" His voice had settled but it rose in fluctuations, the tone sounding so odd after having gotten used to barking orders.

"Does it look like I have ein choice in zhe matter?" Gerhard closed the drawer he had been rifling through, eyes closing as he exhaled a long sigh through his nose before turning to the Soldier. "I vill admit, I do nicht enjoy it, und zhere are many zhings zhat frustrate mir about mein body, but I am alive vhen I could have died, und zhat ist reason enough to keep trying."

His eyes seemed to dart up from under his helmet, finally looking back up at the doctor and not his affliction. "So what you said earlier. About finding the problem. You were just consoling me, weren't you?" His eyes narrowed but he didn't yell or move from his spot.

"Partially, ja." The doctor cocked his head slightly, moving a little closer as he folded his hands behind his back. "Zhere ist ein chance zhat zhere ist ein backup log system of some kind, but I am nicht ein Engineer, so all I can do ist compare pieces of paper until ve can get somevone to look as zhe hardvare itself."

The Medic's answers were running circles around Sykes head. 'Yes, there was a cure. No, there isn't. Well maybe, but we're not sure.' Sykes grabbed the edges of his helmet, pulling at it tightly so he felt the inner ridges scrape against his scalp. Again, his ears twitched at a sound, slithering masses creeping along the floor, coming closer. Unfortunately, his new body responded to the Medic coming closer as a threat in such a tense situation. He was moving before he even knew it, grabbing Gerhard by the collar of his labcoat and pulling him close to his fangs. "DON'T toy with me, MEDIC!"

While not entirely unexpected, the sudden grab still caught the doctor off guard and he reacted in defense, voicing a sharp hiss as a number of tentacles darted in to push the Soldier away, heavy against the man-wolf's stomach and chest as they tried to make some distance. "I am nicht toyingk vizh you, I am just telling you was I know!"

He sneered, but the odd feeling and sudden realization of what he was doing startled him enough to roughly release Gerhard and retreat back a few paces, enough to be away from those... things. "I DIDN'T MEAN THAT YOU WERE, I JUST-" He wiped at his uniform, at his helmet, even wiping his face but flinched at the graze of his claws. He glared down at his hand, the flat bridge of his nose wrinkling in disgust. "I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME!" It wasn't a side effect of being changed, but merely shock finally wearing off and reality setting in. A grab at his helmet and he was throwing it to the tiled floor, something cracking, before it bounced and rolled away. He clawed at his scalp, pulling at his ears as he bowed his head forward, breathing deeply. "I'M SORRY. OKAY? I DIDN'T MEAN THAT. I KNOW-- YOU'RE TRYING TO HELP.”

The Medic backed off quick, tentacles working of their own accord to get him up and over the nearby gurney in a rush of fluid movement before he was able to catch himself. He wound up glad for the spontaneous motion when the Soldier chucked his helmet, and it was only when the man-wolf seemed to have calmed down a bit that he attempted to approach again, this time coming up from behind, resting a hand on the infantryman's shoulder. "Ja, I am. Und if you are not adverse to it, I vould like to keep you here overnight for observation, just in case." Just because he looked all together now didn't mean that the Soldier's body wouldn't try to break down on him later.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:32 pm

His shoulders tensed at the feel of a hand there but Sykes didn't jerk away or move. Though he didn't mean to, the fur on the back of his neck rose and bristled in accordance to him stiffening. The mane seemed to fall soon enough and settle back down just as the Soldier calmed his thoughts. Slowly, he let go of his ears, staring at the ground in a bit of a defeated manner. "...Okay, Doc." He'd stay for the night. But only because he didn't want to hear the others talk about him.

A short nod, and the doctor backed off. "Zhere ist ein long term bed in zhe back. If you like, I can get it set up vhile you get your zhings." It was just for observation, no need to force the man into scrubs or anything. Plus, having more familiar clothing would help the man-wolf calm down a bit. Hopefully.

He gave it a slow thought, mulling it over before he resigned. "Right." Sykes looked this way then that, before locating his helmet under one of the gurneys. He retrieved it, noticing he had done damage to one of the antlers. But he'd worry about fixing it later. Pulling it back on and tucking his ears under the small brim, he headed out the double doors to get a change of clothes. What he really wanted was a shower. But with all this damn fur he just didn't see that happening anytime soon.

Gerhard led the way to the door, unlocking it and checking that the coast was clear before allowing the Soldier to exit past him. "Just come in vhen you return, zhe door vill be unlocked."

He gave a brief nod to the man before looking down the hall once too, before fully emerging. He cleared his throat a bit, smoothing out his jacket before returning to his proud walk. Any un/suspecting team members caught staring too long would be treated the same; with a sharp yell of, "WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT, CUPCAKE?!" and a snap of an order of doing laps around the base. Sykes would head down to the barracks and grab a change of clothes as quick as possible.

Making a mental note to invest in throat lozenges for the eventual ruining of the Soldier’s voice, the TentaMedic closed the door and headed towards the rear of the Infirmary, skirting past the large bubbling tank to the unused back office. Good thing he'd already cleaned up back here or else putting together a sleeping area for his latest patient would have been an enormous chore...

Picking out clothes had never been so difficult before. What he pulled out of his closet was another uniform; the high collar and long sleeves ideal for hiding everything. But if he'd be stuck in the Medbay, he would go with comfort. The only thing making him hesitate was his fur. He plucked at it before snorting, grabbing PT sweatpants and pulling them on. Everything else was left off. Boots hurt his claws, his jacket was stifling now that his fur seemed to regulate its own heat. However, the helmet and dogtags were a must. Never leave home without it. Tucking his ears under the helm, he left the barracks and went upstairs through the back stairwell. Only the Scout was on this side. Any smart words he ignored or yelled back the entire time so there would be no room for back sass. Then it was a short jog to the double doors. He paused just outside them. Asking the Medic for help... It could be worse he supposed. Sykes walked inside, at least giving it a courteous knock before stepping in. "Medic?"

"Back here, Herr!" The doctor's voice echoed oddly out of the back room, distorted slightly by the large tank in between the office and the main room, and was shortly followed by a soft curse and a grunt, something heavy scraping across the tile floor. Gerhard had been quite busy in the Soldier's absence, shuffling furniture around for maximum efficiency as well as comfort, and had wound up cleaning anyway when he moved a somewhat battered chest of drawers and found a rat had nested underneath. At this moment, he was busy shoving the now-cleaned chest of drawers in place beside a sturdy little cot he'd found and set up next to the small private bath in the very back of the room. He straightened, panting slightly and rubbing a hand across his eyes before looking over to the door. "Was do you zhink? Serviceable?"

Sykes came inside, following the murmur of a voice into the back room. He looked around but caught sight of the Medic finishing off his rearranging. He took a look around before straightening up, nodding. He was about to yell out an answer, but quickly corrected himself, lowering his voice. "It's... good, Doc. Homey." Honestly, he thought the man would just leave him to a gurney like a patient. It was unexpected to see the Medic bothering over housing accommodations. "...You didn't have to do this."

A moment's delay, the Medic backing off slightly from the little living space he'd made to get a better look at it all before a few tentacles moved to shift the drawers over to his liking. "Maybe so, but zhis vay you have somevhere comfortable in case you do need to stay longer. Und I needed to clean back here anyvay, might as vell get zhe redecorating done at zhe same time." Gerhard was a bit of a mess, his pale uniform coat dusty and his hair ruffled up every which way, but he didn't seem to mind too much, turning from his handiwork to face his teammate. A thin eyebrow was quirked upon seeing how the Soldier had dressed down, but he made no comment, instead moving aside to let the infantryman access the private space that had been created for him. "Zhere ist ein small badtroom zhrough zhat door, towels are in zhe locker inside if you vish to use zhe shower."

"Ah... thank you." Wow. Talk about a phrase that almost hurt to say. He scratched the back of his neck as he stepped inside, nodding to the Medic as he looked at the corner and then to the designated bathroom. And after all the shit he had said to the man, the Medic still went and did this. Sykes was a bastard, but he knew when he had gone and shoved his foot into his mouth. He looked over his shoulder at the watchful man, trying to think of something to say. A heartfelt apology perhaps? Instead, all that came out was, "You look terrible. Get cleaned up, Doc. I can handle it from here." Sonuva-

Rather than being offended, the doctor voiced a soft chuckle, the side of his mouth twitching up into the faintest glimpse of a smile before it faded. "A suggestion I intend to take, Herr Soldat. Just do nicht close zhe vindows yet, I am trying to get rid of zhe smell of dead rat und bleach." With that, he started for the door leading back towards the main Infirmary, idly plucking a key from his coat pocket and hanging it on a hook over the desk. "Sleep vell, Herr Soldat. I von't be far if you need mir."

So that was what that smell was. The Soldier gave a curt nod and waited for the sound of slithering tentacles to drift out of the room. His ears picked up the faint last words before the doctor was completely gone. Sykes scratched the tip of his wet nose, sighing to himself. Now alone, he pulled off his helmet by the antlers and set it on top of the dresser chest. With a quick step and flick of his wrist he also shut off the lights. He took a seat at the edge of his cot, looking down at his paws. He had many questions about all this. What he to expect, how could he be more prepared, could it really get worse with each Respawn? But he didn't get up to ask. He wasn't lying when he said the man looked a bit worse for wear. He'd let him get cleaned up, rest a bit- before going back out to bug him. "Seems I might have underestimated him..." Sykes bowed forward to rest his head in his hands, massaging his temple as he waited in the dark.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:32 pm

Gerhard really didn't go far at all, moving from the office to the adjacent area in which the tank he called his own lay bubbling quietly in its place back against the far wall. A footlocker sat tucked out of the way beside it, though there was barely anything inside, just what little he had been able to bring in his suitcase, but it was enough for the Austrian. He sighed, tugging off his dirtied clothing and dumping it all into a basket he'd brought out of the back room for exactly that purpose, carefully removing his glasses and setting them into a small side compartment in the footlocker before moving towards the tank. It was easy to climb his way up the side of the tank, his suckers gripping the smooth glass and allowing him to slide into the warm water with barely a sound. He swam around for a bit, not really caring that he was getting his water dirty when the filter would get it all out later, then settled himself on the bottom atop a bundle of sheets and a blanket he'd dumped in shortly after arriving on base. A bit of shifting, and the TentaMedic was wrapped up in a contented little ball, only the tips of his tentacles and a bit of hair visible out of the bundle of bed clothes.

A great deal of time had passed before Sykes even realized it. From resting his head to lying on the cot, more than a few hours had gone by. He had fallen asleep. Metal dogtags clinked as he rolled over, rubbing at his eyes as he looked around. The lingering scent of chemicals was still there but barely. A tongue slinked out, licking the edge of his mouth and fangs before retreating back in. Luckily, the Soldier was too tired to notice such an action as he pushed himself back up to sit. "Doc?" It was a faint whisper because he only woke up to the sound of something. Pointed ears moved before his head did, turning left and right. "Spy?" It was strangely quiet. He looked through the dark and to the open window, waiting to hear some kind of frog or gator. Nothing. Had everything fallen asleep? He pawed his face before stumbling to stand, heading for the bathroom to take a leak. It was only after washing his hands did he notice his reflection. Fur stuck up where he had laid on it, his hair having grown since the day he arrived and beginning to get shaggy. He huffed at it, trying to smooth it back when he thought he heard something again. "Medic? Doc, is that you?" He quickly padded back into his room but found it empty. Pressing forward he went into the main medbay, lights gone dim but illuminating dark corners.
Other than the desk, file cabinets, gurneys, and medicine lockers, nothing else stood out much. Walking closer, he could see a faint glow nestled in the far back. It came from a glass container, bubbles indicating it was filled with water. It only made sense, he guessed. The Doc being part... some kind of fish, he'd need clean water, right? But... It didn't explain the noise from before. Walking closer to the tank, he could hear the gentle hum of the filter, the bubbles forming before rising to the surface. This wasn't the sound he had heard before. As if for reassurance, he pressed his palm against the glass.

The Medic had shifted about in his sleep, twisting around and kicking off part of the sheets to let himself sprawl out across the bottom of the tank, head pillowed on a lump of blanket as his tentacles sluggishly moved about of their own accord. Without the doctor actively controlling them, the secondary systems in each of the arms were left to their own devices, resulting in a somewhat odd combination of actions. Most of the tentacles had gotten themselves knotted together in a squirmy lump, but a few had extended to touch and explore the tank, one inching along the seam of sealant along the bottom edge of the glass while another pressed against the glass, suckers smushed against the smoother surface. But in the corner closest to the Soldier, another stray tentacle had got itself curled up in a knot at the end, and was methodically thumping against the glass, making a hollow thonk every few seconds or so.

He jumped a bit, hand retreating off of the glass at the sudden sound. Eyes darted downward to see the squirming tendril roll about near the side of the tank. He blinked, calming his own nerves. Had that been it? The sound he heard? It was just easier to assume so and it calmed him down a great deal. Not a Spy, and certainly not some rumored man eater. He scoffed at the superstitions and let himself relax. "...just a tentacle. Nothing else...." He crouched close to the ground to get a closer look. Sykes followed the trail to a lump of drowned sheets, seeing a human arm as well. The Medic. He could sleep without needing air? Amber eyes looked back down at the curled tentacle in distress, smiling a bit. Guess the Doc was right about not having any control. The things seemed to get into trouble on their own. Grunting a bit, he shifted and sat on the tile floor, letting his back rest against the drawers of the Doc's desk. He watched the soft glow of the water and the tentacles twitch about. In a way, the doctor had been right. He should be happy this was all that was wrong with him. "Doesn't mean I have to like it though." He stretched out his legs, a footpaw pressing up against the glass and feeling the rhythmic thunk against the glass. Feeling at ease once more, he let his eyes close.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:33 pm

Morning dawned bright and early, soft sunlight streaming down through the open windows of the back office to cast its golden glow down upon the newly cleaned white tile and the little living space that the TentaMedic had worked so hard on. Speaking of whom, the Austrian continued to sleep soundly at the bottom of his tank, curled up around his knot of bedding with his back pressed up against the glass. A stray tentacle unfurled, lazily squirming up and over to the glass, pressing its suckers to the surface before working its way upwards, the tip eventually slipping over the rim of the tank to twist languidly through the cool morning air, dripping lukewarm water.

Drip. Drip. Drip. Drip.
Dark tipped ears twitched at the sound, settling down before raising at the sound of something constantly hitting the floor nearby. It wasn't long before he couldn't take it, shifting to his right and letting his foot slide against the floor to shut whatever it was up. The tips of his toes brushed against water before it was instantly hiked away, the Soldier startled awake. "-the Hell?!" He looked around, grabbing for a weapon but came up empty handed. Looking left and right he didn't see anyone, and a look down showed only a small puddle of water. He swallowed his fear before looking up, hearing something slosh about in the water. The tip of a tendril practically waving a good morning at him as it dripped water. He huffed, rubbing the drool from his chin and shaking himself awake. "Stupid... Water... Tentacles..." he muttered, getting up and hearing the distinct cracks and pops of his back from sleeping at such an awkward angle. "Such a… nice dream too, ugh- Shit." He rubbed his lower back before yawning, looking over into the tank. He gently rapped his knuckles against the glass as he was already making his way back to the back room. "Wake up, Medic. It's morning."

The rapping prompted a near-immediate reaction, all of the Medic's tentacles jerking and squirming about in a frenzy before moving to figure out where the vibrations had come from, the one moving down along the outside while several others felt along the inside of the glass. Gerhard shifted slightly where he lay, gills flaring along his ribs as he turned to press his face into the knot of blankets, hiding a wide yawn.

He had gone to rinse out the taste of morning from his mouth and to pop his back properly in place before stepping back out. His quick comb of claws through his hair let it all stand up on end despite wiping it back. Sykes continued to rub at his arms, shoulders, and face, just to smooth everything out. What a hassle.
"C'mon, sleeping beauty. Rise and shine." It was past dawn, possibly somewhere around 8 or 9.

Having rolled onto his back in the Soldier's absence, the doctor's second yawn of the day was quite visible, gills flaring in strips of purple-blue along the curves of his ribcage as his mouth opened wide, baring a set of pearly white teeth that would make a shark do a double take, two rows of sharp fangs that melded into a single row of less carnivorous teeth further back into the man's mouth. A hand lifted, rubbing tiredly at the Medic's face before he yawned again, smaller this time, and he finally blinked his eyes open, wide pupils narrowing into those odd oblong shapes as he focused on the ceiling. His head lolled slightly to the side, and Gerhard smiled sleepily, waving to the Soldier.

He was raking the tufts of fur on his right cheek, wondering why it was longer there when he happened to look over at the Medic, to check if the man was going to get up anytime soon. What he caught was a drowsy wide smile, and arm raising to greet him good morning. He blinked before turning his head away, snorting. "I'm taking a shower since you're taking too long." What kind of look was that? A smile on the Medic's face? The man must have been really tired to just make that kind of expression. And aimed at him. The Soldier continued to grumble under his breath, unsure what to make of such a friendly face as he disappeared into the next room.

Watching the furry infantryman wander off, the TentaMedic blinked dazedly, yawning again before he moved to untangle himself from his bedding, moving a bit sluggishly still as he struggled to wake up properly. He swam a couple laps around the tank, just to make sure he had his tentacles relatively under control, then surfaced, shaking water from his hair as he heaved himself up onto a short platform lain across one end of the tank, gills flaring as he coughed, flushing the excess water from his system so he could breathe the surrounding air. A tentacle reached down behind the tank, grabbing up one of the towels he'd stashed back there, and began to dry himself off. "Guten Morgen, Herr Soldat. Sleep vell?"

Even with the water running he could hear the Medic's voice distinctly from the other room. Damn hearing. He stood in front of the shower, not quite stepping in just yet as he questioned what the water would do to his fur. His eyes narrowed at the drain as he barked out a reply. "YEAH. WOKE UP HALF WAY THROUGH THE NIGHT THOUGH." Sucking in a breath he pulled aside the thin shower curtain and stepped inside, ears drooping instantly under the spray. Shit, this felt weird. He could feel the water, but not the... well, the wet. Like wearing clothes. Damn fur. "DID YOU KNOW YOU MAKE NOISE IN YOUR SLEEP?" Sykes bowed his head under the spray, rubbing at his head, wondering if there was soap in here as well.

"Noise? Was kind of noise?" The doctor was pretty sure he used to talk in his sleep, but there was no way for the man-wolf could hear it under water and usually muffled by blankets. Unless he was really loud. Damn it, was he going to have to soundproof things now? His hair dried, the tentacled hybrid slid down to the floor, using the ladder this time so he wouldn't fall, and began to pat off the excess water that clung to his lower half. The swamp was humid enough that he didn't really have to worry too much about drying out so long as he drank enough water during the day, so he'd long since decided to lessen the potential mess left behind by wet and slimy tentacles.

He rinsed his mouth out before spitting out the water, fur completely covering his eyes now. "YEAH. YOUR... Um... EXTRA ARMS TAP THE SIDE OF THE GLASS SOMETIMES. THINGS WRESTLE THEMSELVES SILLY." He turned off the water and squeezed a hand down his arms and legs, repeating it with his torso. Damn water clung like lint to his body.

Oh. Well. That was different. Glancing down at his lower limbs, the Medic sighed and rolled his eyes at finding evidence of what the Soldier was speaking of, one of his tentacles moving a bit more sluggishly than normal due to a forming bruise. Stupid secondary systems... "Ach, es tute mir leid, mein Kamerad. I vill have to see was I can do to make zhe sctupid zhings stop doing zhat." Sleeping pills maybe, a mild sedative to calm the errant prehensile limbs. He hated to waste medication on such a small annoyance, though... Gehard shook his head, straightening and moving to his footlocker to get himself dressed and groomed for the day.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:34 pm

He could quite catch what the Medic said after him, words garbled into his accent--along with a towel over Sykes' head, drowning out everything. He hummed in acknowledgment nevertheless, not wanting the man to think he was ignoring him. The Soldier's hands busy ruffling the towel over his head, fluffing his hair and fur. He didn't even want to look in the mirror until he was done. "HEY, DOCTOR. YOU THINK YOU'VE GOT A PAIR OF SCISSORS HANDY?" He pulled the towel tight by both ends before doing a quick tug-of-war with it behind his neck.

"Ah... Ja, vone moment, bitte." A last couple passes of a comb through his damp hair, and the Medic headed into the main Infirmary, glancing around to make sure there had been no incidents during the night and frowning at the clock before he headed over to the supply cabinets, sifting around a moment before he came up with a pair of sharp scissors that would have normally been used to trim sutures. He checked them to make sure they were in functional condition, then made his way back towards the office. "Zhey are razzer sharp, be careful vizh zhem, ja?"

Sykes had to look at his reflection, to at least see the damage and how he could attempt to fix it. Having just toweled off and his hair seeming to grow at a rapid rate thanks to his condition, he couldn't help the set scowl on his face. He heard the Medic enter the room, words bouncing off the walls now. Without trying to show the mess, he reached his arm out from the crack of the door, palm up and open, ready to receive. "I know how to use a pair of scissors, Doc."

"I trust zhat you do, Herr, I just don't vant you stabbing yourself vizh zhem. Zhey are made to trim flesh, nicht hair." Nevertheless, the scissors were handed over, handles first, and the doctor slipped off back to his tank to get dressed.

Cut skin, eh? He'd have to watch out then for his ears. "-thanks." He shut the door quickly before staring at the furball looking back at him. Without much words to even describe the thing he was seeing, he pulled at his bangs, tugging them straight up before cutting away at them, trying to get it back down to a clean shaven look. It wouldn't be long before he tried to cut a lot more; the tips of his ears, his chin, the tufts on the side of his face, the bristling whiskers he found here and there. Damn things were everywhere. And it just piled up around his feet. "DO YOU KNOW IF WE FIGHT TODAY, MEDIC?"

Latex snapped, the doctor fitting his gloves on. "Ah, nein, I do nicht believe so. I vill have to double check, zhough, I am nicht sure..." They had lost the previous day, after all, there would likely be a short period of recuperation so they could get things sorted out and figure out some new tactics. Unless they were supposed to do that last night, which would be frustrating.

"Stupid corporate-made rules. WHO TAKES BREAKS DURING A WAR, ANYHOW?" The question wasn't really aimed at anyone. Sykes wasn't sure about another battle. It'd give him something to calm his nerves, relieve the tension that was building up--but with the doubt of Respawn making things possibly worse... It was just irritating. He set the scissors aside before looking at himself. Hardly better, patches of fur cut too close. But it was better than being shaggy. He swept up the remaining bunches of cut fur and dumped them into the waste bin by hand. He felt a bit lopsided, like his stance was off. Shit, now what? He held the wall, keeping his balance before grabbing the towel and walking into the next room to find his sweatpants. "All this tactical, waiting bullshit is going to kill me."

"No mehr zhan ein rocket or backstab or-" The Medic broke off upon seeing the Soldier's trim job, his expression blank. "Was zhe Hölle did you to yourself?" Shaking his head, Gerhard set aside the books he'd been retrieving from the shelves and approached the man-wolf, frowning as he took in the too-close patches and uneven fuzz. "Sitzen, dummkopf, before you fall over. Zhose vhiskers are zhere for ein reason!"

Sykes gave him an odd look, raising a thick brow at the other's startling question at his handywork. Sure, it wasn't the best haircut... It wasn't that bad, was it? With not much of a choice to do anything else, he plopped down into a chair with a huff, wrapping the towel around his neck. "What're you talking about now? It's just fur. All look the damn same anyway...." He was just frustrated but apparently he had done something wrong.

Fighting the urge to slap a palm to his face at the infantryman's ignorance, the doctor instead retrieved the scissors from the bathroom and swiftly turned to cleaning up the haphazard mess the Soldier had made of his fur and hair. "Dein vhiskers are secondary sensory organs to help your body perceive zhe environment around it, ein catch all system in case your ozzer sense are compromised. Zhey are also essential to helping maintain proper balance und judge distances. You are lucky zhat zhey grow back."

The Solly made a face as he tried to keep still under the Medic's armed hand. "I did that all just fine without them before. What does it matter than I need them now?" But there was truth in the man's words because he had felt it just before stepping into the main room. Fuck. He sighed heavily through his flat nose, resisting the urge to roll his eyes. "Anything else I should know before I do something?"

Gerhard barely suppressed a sigh of his own, carefully trimming around the edges of the man's ears. "Do nicht try to file anyzhing down unless you absolutely have to, especially your claws. Trim too much und you'll hit zhe qvuick und it vill be very painful und bloody. Try to avoid loud noises as much as possible. Und if zhere ist any spinal pain, come to me /immediately/. If you start growing ein tail, you vill need somezhing to take zhe edge off zhe pain."

It almost made him gag the way his vocal chords suddenly shivered as he growled at that last comment. "I'll cut the damn thing off if that ever happens." No way. On God's green earth. Would he walk about with a tail. He hadn't even thought of that until the Medic mentioned it, abscently reaching behind him to scratch his lower back, just to make sure nothing abnormal was there. "I was gonna clip my claws next actually. Nice warning." Great. Another idea of trying to deal with this down the drain. He bowed his head forward slowly when hands directed it, trying to keep his ears from twitching at the touch and sharp clips so close. His eyes went directly to the squirming mass that appeared right out from under the Medic's coat. His paws inched back unconsciously as he stared. It kept his mind off of the Medic cleaning up his mess.

"Mmm, gute, I can show you how to trim zhem properly zhen. I am assuming you vill vant to be vearing you boots again, ja?" The TentaMedic made no comment to the Soldier's reaction to the possibility of a tail, he'd dealt with similar reactions before while working at the research facility and had learned that further pressing the issue would only result in someone either getting hit or strapped down. A few more snips, and Gerhard backed off, gently stroking the man's ears to make sure he'd gotten all the stray hairs cleaned away.

"Hm? Of course. Can't walk around barefoot." At least not outside the base. He patted of his legs from any stray fur patches before his head suddenly tilted to one side, nearly making him topple out of his seat if he hadn't caught himself. "Christ-!" Sykes gripped the edge of his seat to steady himself, trying to shake the feeling that came out of nowhere. "What the Hell was that?"
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:35 pm

The doctor quirked a curious brow at the Soldier's accusation, though he had to bite the inside of his cheek to keep from smiling. Definitely a canine alright. "Was? I am cleaning off zhe excess fur, see?" He showed the infantryman his glove, the latex covered with bits of loose fur that had stuck to the material. Shaking his head, the Medic went back to 'business', this time using both hands to stroke the man-wolf's ears.

"Oh. Right. Of course," he replied quickly. Naive to other factors that were playing in this, he sat still, continuing to brush himself off. It must have been the whisker things again. He couldn't even sit now without losing his balance. "I won't need a crutch or anything, will-will....I...?" His body shifted forward again without his say so, head bowing forward against the fingers that continued to brush along the outside edges of his ears. His eyelids felt suddenly heavy as he heaved a sigh, feeling his toes curl.

Swallowing a soft chuckle, Gerhard calmly continued the gentle stroking motions, a tentacle coming up to support the Soldier as he slumped over. "Nein, you vill just need to pay attention und be careful. Zhe vhiskers vill likely be razzer itchy as zhey grow back, it vould be best nicht to scratch at zhem." The Medic kept his touch light, stroking his fingers down the edges and across the broad backs of the infantryman's pointed ears, making absolutely sure to contact the whole ear right down to where it connected with the man's head. It really was such a good way to calm a person down, if only non-hybrids had such a sweet spot.

Sykes grunted in half-understanding, jaw slack with just the soothing feel tingling its way down his back. It felt like one of those massages a person could get at one of those fancy resorts. Yet, all he felt was the constant sensation on his ears. "Mmm, sure. Whatever you say, Doc." He didn't even seem to be disturbed by the slick tendril nudging his shoulder and chest to keep him in place, lest he fall completely out of his chair. The tension seemed to drain from him, a single thought hard to keep track of as he soon forgot what they were even talking about.

Letting out a soft laugh, the TentaMedic calmly shifted to a bit firmer touch, more of a massage than petting as he rubbed the Soldier's ears between his fingers. "Feeling besser, Herr Soldat?"

Feeling better? Had he felt bad at one time? He couldn't recall with strong fingers holding his ears hostage. The claws on his feet that were scraping against the tile stopped as soon as the petting did. Instead, he felt his knee shudder as his leg began to quiver, bouncing in place in spasms every so often. "Better. Sure. More. Better." There was an inkling of something wrong with this picture but for the life of him he couldn't see anything wrong with feeling this good. As he started to slouch more, his hands reached up to hold onto the only support he had to keep from falling: the Medic's tentacle.

Another prehensile limb lifted, augmenting the support he was already providing as he hummed softly, smiling a bit as he continued to pet and massage the Soldier's ears. He couldn't help chuckling a bit at the infantryman's twitching leg, but he did his best to keep quiet about it, not wanting to attract attention from anyone passing by outside. "Sehr gute, I'm glad to hear zhat." A finger shifted, scratching gently behind one ear while the other was being petted.

"Good. Glad. You're glad..." His head tipped over towards one side more than the other, the feel of nails not quite his own scratching the soft tuft of fur just behind his ear. From this angle the hint of something outlandish could be seen. A smile on the Soldier's face. He didn't even know he was grinning goofily with the now constant jostle of his foot, the God-like fingers at his ears, and something warm and damp wriggling in his hands.

Gerhard couldn't help himself upon seeing that grin, his own smile broadening as he laughed quietly. It was nice to see the Soldier happy like this, even if it did take a bit of manipulation to get him there. "Gute, gute... I am going to help you sit up, okay? You are going to sit up, und I am going to slowly stop petting you so you can calm down, okay?" He spoke softly, voice soothing and calm so as not to spook the slightly delirious man-wolf.

"Mmmhmmm," he growled pleasantly, not really registering what the man was saying. But the Medic had said it in such a pleasant way he couldn't help but agree. There was only a slight pressure to his chest from the curling tendrils, propping him back up in his seat. Sykes didn't put up much of a fight for that.

Rolling his eyes, the doctor made sure the man-wolf was properly seated and steady before the attention he was paying to the Soldier's ears began to slowly taper off, his touches growing lighter and lighter until he was back to simply stroking along the edges of the infantryman's ears, keeping the calm while allowing his teammate to come back to himself.

The only sign that the Soldier was returning back to normal was that the rapid movement of his leg slowly subsided, easing back to having the flat of his foot touch the floor. He lounged back in his chair, smile faint yet still present as deep golden eyes opened. They were slipping back to a duller amber as the scratching and petting was easing up. His head still felt light as did the rest of his body but his senses were returning. He could now complete an entire thought without pause. "That was... Different," he murmured, still adrift but coming back.

"Mmm, I shouldt zhink so. It must feel gute to relax for vonce." Just one ear now, slow, gentle strokes. Gerhard watched, the smile swiped from his face though he still had a tentacle pressed to the Soldier's chest, making sure he wasn't going to topple over.

"Feels... Pretty good actually," he admitted. Though his head did tip a fraction of an angle against the fingers, Sykes was in his right mind to keep himself steady in his chair. He used the back of his hand to wipe away any drool that might have occurred in his senseless state, happy when he found none. He looked up at the Medic who stood over him. He normally bristled at height difference but the feeling of animosity never showed up. "You're really good at that."

A slight upward twitch of the lips. "Dankeschon. I had qvuite a lot of practice vhen I vas training to be ein Tierarzt, ah, veterinarian." One last quick stroke, and the Medic let his hand drop, his tentacle pulling away as he moved to sit down on the nearby cot so he could be level with the much calmer Soldier. "You might vant to keep zhat reaction secret sehr no vone can take advantage of zhat. Und I promise zhat I myself vill nicht do so, on mein honor."

Once the touching subsided his ears lowered back into their normal position, flat against the sides of his head. There was a loss of feeling there, but other than bliss he only lost the sensation of wanting to fall asleep. Now that it had stopped, he was back to being wide awake, if not more. He wanted to comprehend what just took place but it almost hurt to think about it. "Advantage?" As if his team would ever dare try such a thing. It was only by pure chance that the Medic had found it in the first place. But he'd heed the warning. Shit, that would be embarrassing if this became public. "You're not a vet, though. You're a doctor. What changed?" he asked, reaching up to scratch at his own ears. There was a tingle but nothing like he had felt when someone else had done it. Odd.

"Zhe kinder. Ein freund of mein took me to visit his kleine Schwester ins die terminal vard, she vas sick vizh typhoid..." The Medic shook his head, sitting up a bit straighter as his tentacles coiled over one another. "I changed mein major to try und save her life."

"Oh." The Soldier was hardly a sensitive man when it came to 'certain' topics. But for the sake of coming off some kind of high and being somewhat friends with the Medic, he spared him his usual insults. "Did you? Save her that is."

The doctor's expression went flat, a neutral mask betrayed by the way his tentacles clenched together. "Nein. I vas nicht able to complete zhe schooling needed to help." And she had been so young, just a little girl... Gerhard abruptly straightened, standing as he reached into the breast pocket of his coat, clicking his disguise on to hide his tentacles. "I vill be in zhe front if you have need of mir."
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:36 pm

As soon as Gerhard moved, Sykes was standing as well, though it took a second to hold himself up. "Alright." He could instantly tell he had hit a sore spot but said no apologies. He let the Doctor leave, willingly getting to his knees to clean up any remaining mess. The chair was placed back in its place and he was swaying off back to his temporary living space. Grabbing his helmet and pulling it on, he kept in mind all the things he had just learned thanks to the Medic. He'd have to repay him some way.

It would be a good hour before the TentaMedic made a reappearance, distracting himself with the inventory he had left incomplete the day before and starting on the paperwork needed to restock what had been used up. But the paperwork quickly became frustrating and the doctor was not in the mood to force himself through the arduous process, and he finally slapped his pen down and tromped over to his footlocker, rifling through it until he came up with a somewhat tattered book. Book in hand, he scrambled up onto the platform the lay across his tank, half-curled on his side as he turned to read.

It was awkward--Well more unsettling than anything because he had wanted to at least do laps around the base this morning. But the sinking of the mud, his boots not fitting right, and the chance of being spotted all worked against him. The only thing that kept his wits calm was the dresser being heavy enough to hold his weight. Sykes had slipped his toes under the furniture piece before doing sit-ups. Only the faint clinking of his dogtags kept it from being completely silent. But even working out was just odd. His fur matted as he began to sweat, and the temperature that was bleeding in from the outside was making it as humid as Hell. "Fuck-" he growled, stopping to lay on the floor, staring at the low ceiling. His ears perked, hearing something from the other room. He remained still, wondering if he'd hear any more. But there was nothing but silence. Curiosity and boredom got the better of him before he was rolling over onto his stomach to push himself up to his feet. His nose wrinkled at the smell that assaulted him. He scratched at it, trying to rid himself of the sensitivity. Stepping out, he noticed the large room empty at the time. "You leave, Doc?"

A soft sigh. "Nein, I am up here, Herr Soldat..." The first thing that was likely to become apparent was the mess of speckled blue tentacles curling lazily through the water of the Medic's tank, the long limbs meandering about as if enjoying the extra space to stretch out. And then a little higher would find the doctor's white coat hanging over the side, dry and still being worn by the Austrian who lay flopped atop the wooden platform with the air of tired resignation, his head resting on one arm as he idly perused his novel. He snorted as the Soldier's scent caught up with him, and he glanced up with a vaguely cross expression. "You smell like ein vet dog. Wasever vere you doing back zhere?"

Sykes found himself turning to look left before he even registered where the voice was coming from. His eyes darted to the tank then up, following the vine-like tendrils up to it's main host. Odd. He never assumed the Medic would just take off to do normal things. He always thought the man was busy 24/7. A few steps led him closer before he stopped at the other's words. Was that the smell? Himself? Christ- His chest puffed out as he tried to regain his confidence. "Workout regiment. A man has to stay fit no matter the conditions. What're you doing up there?"

"Reading. Or trying to, really. It ist vone of zhe few zhings I can rely on to help me calm down, und I vould prefer to stay out of zhe barbiturates zhis early in zhe day." He was joking about the drugs, he'd never believed in recreational usage, but it was likely something that would go missed unless one caught the slight uplift in his voice and the momentary twitch of the lips that was very nearly but not quite a smirk.

With no further mention of the smell, Sykes continued to come closer till he was standing right next to the tank. If he wanted to look at the Medic, he'd have to crane his head back, but he didn't feel the need as he listened. Instead, he touched the glass idly, trailing a claw to the side, just seeing if one of the tentacles would follow. He doubt it since they had no eyes, but curiosity grew in the best of them.
"Hm. Can't have you slipping into the medicine cabinet before noon. What would the others think?" Perhaps it was the fact he hadn't spoken to anyone in a while, or he was growing comfortable around the doctor, but he played along with the joke, his ears ringing with the small inflections.

There was a faint snicker, that quirk of the lips sticking around for a good few seconds before fading again. "Nozhing zhat hasn't probably already been pondered, I vould vager, zhough I suppose our numerous Spies vould have hinted at it by now in zheir snide commentary." As if sensing the vibration caused by the Soldier's fingers on the glass, a good number of the tentacles seemed to perk up, shifting around in a vaguely excited manner before one zeroed in, carefully brushing against the glass as if making sure it had it right before pressing its suckered underside to where it could feel the slight warmth of the man-wolf's fingers, wriggling after the trailing claw. The Medic glanced up a moment later, brow furrowing before he turned to look down at his teammate. "Ah. Zhat's vhat zhat vas..."

"Spies? Who believes a word Spies say anyway? Nothing but rumors and cheap talk to get into your head. I think your reputation is still intact, Doc. No worries there." He leaned closer as he watched a few arms follow after his finger, like a fish in an aquarium. It was weird yet mildly fascinating on a level. He blinked though from under his helmet and glanced up. "You can feel that?" he asked, perplexed. He knew that the tentacles were apart of the Medic but it- It was still taking time to sink in that he could feel what they felt.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:36 pm

"Mmm, vaguely. Zhey are actually partially autonomous, secondary nervous systems in each limb. In layman's terms, you could say I technically have 9 brains; Vone in mein head, und vone in each of zhem." Watching the lengths of muscle coil and twist over one another, poking and prodding at the glass to try and get a better 'look' at what lay beyond, the Medic couldn't help feeling a tad out of sorts, as the only concrete feedback he was getting was the temperature and texture of the glass, how it was warmed by the Soldier's fingers. He knew if he focused, he could get the limbs to follow his directions explicitly, but even then...

The Soldier made a low huff, finding the explanation weird. "Must be weird having to process that much thought," he voiced without really meaning to, taking his finger away from the glass momentarily. He just watched as they circled the last spot he touched before moving around as if confused. So strange. "Question. Do they grow back? Say if they were hit during battle." With the smallest hint of a smile, he pressed his palm against the cool glass, holding it still.

A low chuckle. "Zhere actually isn't as much getting back to me as you might zhink. Und yes, zhey do, but it ist very annoying und takes almost as long as healing broken bones. I try to avoid it." One of the tentacles, the first one, twisted round, its slender tip feeling out the edge of the Soldier's palm as it warmed the glass before coiling back on itself to try and mimic the filling of space.

"So if you weren't able to get to a health kit or you somehow lost your MediGun, you'd still be able to heal them. That's... Actually pretty useful." Though the pace would be slow, the Medic could still grow back his arms if there was ever any outside danger. He just needed time. Sykes could feel the squirm from his side of the tank, feel the light bumps of the arm as it curled around as if it couldn't get close or warm enough. "...How much weight can they lift?"

There was a bit of a pause, the Medic actively setting aside his book as his brow furrowed in thought before he finally answered. "I haven't really had zhe opportunity to test zhat, actually, but I vas capable of restraining zhis vone Heavy vhen he took particular offense to somezhing vone of zhe surgeons said back at zhe research facility. It vas surprisingly not as difficult as I zhought it vould be..."

There was a noise of a stuttered huff of surprise before Sykes coughed to cover it up. He shrugged nonchalantly then as he slid his other hand beside the first one. "Yeah, but that was using all of them, huh?"

"Six of zhem. Two to trip him up und bind his legs, zhe ozzer four to bind his arms. I bit him vhen he vouldn't stop struggling. It helps having sedative in vone's saliva."

So he hadn't even used all of them. Hell's Bells. His hands twitched against the glance at the mention of the Doctor biting someone. He looked up, quirking an eyebrow up under his helmet at the man. "...did you just say you could use your spit as a tranquilizer?"

This time the Medic laughed properly, smiling broad enough to show his sharp canine teeth. "Ja, I did. Razzer potent too, since I don't use it much. Zhe funny zhing ist zhat I can knock myself out vizh zhe stuff as vell, vone vould zhink I vould have some sort of immunity or somezhing."

"How on Earth could you-” Pause. “Well. Actually I guess you could end up biting yourself without meaning to." He was quick to answer his own question, rubbing the underside of his furry chin in thought. But potent as well? It bothered him briefly that the Medic could use that little advantage anytime he wanted to. He could have used it before... Nah. The Doc was on his side. He was good. The bristle of fur along the back of his neck and shoulders seemed to soften and flatten back down. "Well. Saves money on buying morphine."

Gerhard gave a soft snort, obviously amused as he set his book aside properly and shuffled forward slightly so he could lean over the edge of the platform, head resting on his folded arms. "You couldt say zhat again. Zhe fact zhat it ist organic und so far has proven non-addictive ist just ein added bonus." Taking its cues from the Medic, one of the man's tentacles thought to squirm its way over the lip of the tank, dribbling water down the side as it slithered down to where the Soldier's hand still rested on the glass.

Sykes hadn't really noticed the stray leaving the nest, still focused on the few before his hands that tried to push others out of the way to try and get to the warmth leaking through the glass. "Sounds like all positives to me. Could aim whatever money saved up on more useful things. Like ammo. Or decent food..." The thicker parts of his fur reacted his his muscles bunching up, prickling and standing on end when he felt a slick weight meet over one of his hands. He didn't pull away as much as he wanted to, watching with wide eyes under the brim of his helmet.

A soft sound caught in the doctor's throat, eyes widening a moment before darting down to see what his stray limb was doing as it gently stroked over the Soldier's fingers, feeling the surprisingly soft fur before moving to try and curl around the infantryman's thumb. Gerhard huffed crossly through his nose, brow furrowing before he reached down a hand to try and shoo the curious tentacle away. "Schtupid zhing..."
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:37 pm

It felt different from what he thought it would feel like. Then again, he was used to having flesh and bare skin that clung to any surface. With fur, it couldn't stick to his hand but merely grab at him, wetting the fur and matting it down as it curled over his wrist as it reached for his thumb. "...do they really just do what they want? You're not controlling it?" His fur tufted out like a hissing cat when he felt the suction cups try to grab onto something but having nothing but slipping constantly against the fur. God, this felt weird but he couldn't move.

"Does it really look like I'm controlling it right now?" Reaching for the twisting limb just that bit too far out of his range to actually touch, brow furrowed in obvious concentration and a decidedly unamused expression stamped upon his features. He always did have trouble with this one...

"I don't know!" he hissed in a loud whisper, as if the tentacle was its own animal and could react badly to loud noises. His eyes would dart to the hand that was trying to reach for it and back to the tendril itself, back and forth, like keeping an eye on a bee that could buzz closer any minute. His claws ticked against the glass as he tried to keep his hands perfectly still, though his fingers flexed in strain.

The Medic exhaled a long sigh, lifting his hand from attempting to distract his wayward limb to gently tugging at the tip of one of the man-wolf's ears. "Schtop zhat. It von't hurt you, und you are mein komrade, so I von't be hurting you eizzer." That being said, the doctor sat up and turned his attention to the rest of his tentacles, one of which promptly came to attention and darted through the water to grab onto the disobedient limb, tugging it away from the infantryman and back into the water. "It ist alvays zhat vone, vhy ist it alvays just zhat vone?!"

The grab to his ear was an effective jostle from his thoughts but made him jump a bit. "I can't help it-" It was like a snap to reality and as soon as the tentacle was hoisted off he pulled his hands back to himself. Sykes looked over the spot and rubbed at it, smoothing out the wet fur, ruffling it to get the odd feeling out from his nerves before clawing at the back of his neck to settle the bristled fur there too. The time he had purposefully held onto one of the Medic's slick arms seemed to have been forgotten. "Trouble-maker, Doc?”

A short huff. "You couldt say zhat. Stubborn ist mehr like it. I svear, zhe zhings have zheir own personalities at times..." As if to support the idea, that disobedient tendril squirmed free and thonked hard against the side of the tank, to which Gerhard groaned, lifting a hand to his face to rub tiredly at the bridge of his nose.

Hand in hand, he let himself laugh slightly, if only to take the edge off. "You sound like a babysitter," he commented, staring at the glass and seeing the bunch swim freely, though a few chose to float around. The one that had touched him seemed to stand out, doing whatever it wanted. Yep. Just like kids.

"Only zhe Kinder are literally attached at zhe hip." Nonetheless, the idea got amused snort out of the doctor, and he was smirking slightly when he looked over to the infantryman. "You know, you vould likely benefit from a qvuick rinse in zhe shower. Get zhe sveat out of your fur und such?"

After that experience, and the exercise from before, a shower didn't sound that bad of an idea at all. But he had taken one earlier and it took a great deal of time to just dry out, much less make sure he got everything. Damn hair everywhere. Sykes toyed with the idea of shaving, but it just wasn't the fur, his body had changed too. It would have looked... Weird. He waved at the Medic, as if trying to clear the suggestion out of the air. "I don't smell that bad."

"You vill later vhen all of zhat dries. Und if you're zhinking of how long it take to dry off, try shaking first. Zhere ist a very gute reason vhy dogs do it." Gerhard shifted where he sat, and there was abruptly a cascade of long blue limbs tumbling over the edge of the tank as the tentacled hybrid shifted himself down to the floor, shorter than the Soldier for a moment while he got his lower half sorted before straightening. "I vill show you how to trim your claws aftervards if you do."

The Soldier began to mumble under his voice, grumbling about being treated like a child then to behaving like a dog. But it ended just the same, with Sykes folding his arms over his chest stubbornly but kicking his foot at the ground before turning to head to the backroom to get washed up.

For what it was worth, the Medic managed to keep his amusement to himself until the infantryman was in the bathroom, but he couldn't keep the volume of his laughter down for long.

-FIN-
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Hannah Lee » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:01 pm

Is there more? Because I want to read more SoliWolf and TentaMedic bonding please!! This whole thing was written so well that I keep re-reading it over and over again.
Hannah Lee

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:20 pm

Hannah Lee wrote:Is there more? Because I want to read more SoliWolf and TentaMedic bonding please!! This whole thing was written so well that I keep re-reading it over and over again.

Well, this scenario is eventually going to become canon after Sykes goes through his first Respawn, so this sort of interaction will become quite a bit more common on the forum once that occurs.
Otherwise, both Sykes and Gerhard have Tumblrs, and recently did a short little interaction over there if you'd like to check it out. :)
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby SGT Sykes Abernathy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:25 am

Someone likes this?

... ... ... ....

*grabs Gerhard and his writer, dragging them away*
We SHALL continue then.
Because honestly, the first battle is still SO FAR AWAY
SGT Sykes Abernathy

Postby Hannah Lee » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:03 am

Yes, I like it very very much. I just finished reading up on the conversation between Gerhard and Sykes and the cold. Sykes is such a likable Solly that he just makes me smile with his LOUD VOICE LIKE THIS. And Gerhard is such a sweetheart, taking care of him like that. Usually people tend to make the Soldier and the Medic hate each other, or at least not get along, but the both of you have kept them very in character while keeping them as good friends. So yes, I really, really enjoy reading up on Gerhard and Sykes' interactions.

Just one curious question though: are you two going to ship the two of them together? Just my own curiousity, that's all. I don't really see anything they've done so far to reveal any romantic inclinations between the two of them, but I was just wondering whether we'll be seeing them as a couple in the future.
Hannah Lee

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:25 am

Hannah Lee wrote:Yes, I like it very very much. I just finished reading up on the conversation between Gerhard and Sykes and the cold. Sykes is such a likable Solly that he just makes me smile with his LOUD VOICE LIKE THIS. And Gerhard is such a sweetheart, taking care of him like that. Usually people tend to make the Soldier and the Medic hate each other, or at least not get along, but the both of you have kept them very in character while keeping them as good friends. So yes, I really, really enjoy reading up on Gerhard and Sykes' interactions.

Just one curious question though: are you two going to ship the two of them together? Just my own curiousity, that's all. I don't really see anything they've done so far to reveal any romantic inclinations between the two of them, but I was just wondering whether we'll be seeing them as a couple in the future.

Honestly...?
Had not even thought about that. XD
But Gerhard is a lonely octo-boy and he gets very clingy and protective of the people he likes, so...
Might be up to Sykes on that one. :3
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Return to Logs & URLs