Learning the Waters (Rufus) - COMPLETE

Where the medical staff of the base tends to roam. There is an Office hidden in the very back past the Laboratory, where a small number of tanks sit and bubble quietly.

Learning the Waters (Rufus) - COMPLETE

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:13 pm

It only just occurred to him, climbing out of his tank early in the morning, yawning as he dried himself off and got ready for the day.
He paused in the middle of pulling on his coat as the thought struck, and promptly moved out of the back room into the main Infirmary, tugging on his coat the rest of the way as he approached the long term bed upon which his most current long term patient was slowly starting to come to the waking world.
"Herr Rufus? Do you know how to swim?"
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Re: Learning the Waters (Rufus)

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:17 pm

Rufus let out a soft moan before opening his eyes. Stretching out some, he leans up on one arm to prop up on before yawning out. "Nein... vell, not very good. I sink more zhan I float. I've only swam here twice and neizher time vas good. Tired out moreso zhan anyzhing." He said before reaching up to run a hand through his hair a few times, slicking it back up to a natural short fohawk. He smacked his mouth a few times to rid of the aches of sleep before laying back down. "Vhy you asked?" He questioned before adding on, "I take it no breakfast?"
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:20 pm

"Curious, mostly. Und I haven't gotten breakfast yet, don't vorry about zhat."
Gerhard straightened his cuffs, pausing a moment upon realizing he'd left his gloves in the other room, but eventually decided it really didn't matter this early in the morning. He could put the gloves on later, he was just going out to get breakfast...
"Vould you like to learn, maybe? It vould certainly be a useful skill, especially in zhis environment."
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:25 pm

"Hmm... probably vould not be a bad idea if ze companies decide to end zhis truce and ve fight once again. I can slip in vater and carry a blutsauger instead of ze crossbow. I hate using zhat zhing because it's not very accurate and ze only reason I use it is so I can vheel around at least vith one hand." Rufus replied.

Stretching some more, he reached down, feeling his tail. The wounds and cuts were starting to heal, if only slower than human healing. But at least there was no more stinging as he flexed it about. Thanks to Gerhard's tending to keep it moist everyday. "You don't suppose you could fashion some sort of rubber sleeve or sock for zhis zhing so I don't have to catch vhatever I caught in zhat disease-eaten swamp?" He said.
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:35 pm

Gerhard chuckled softly, resisting the urge to shake his head in a rueful manner.
Ah, Rufus... Always for the battle to come.
"Actually, if you let zhe skin heal properly und keep it hydrated as it shouldt, you von't need zhe sleeve. Zhe only reason you got zhe infection ins zhe first place vas because you had open sores zhe bacteria coudl get caught in."
He paused a moment, thinking, then finally nodded, almost to himself.
"Zhough, I suppose somezhing to maintain zhe hydration vouldn't be a badt idea..."
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:40 pm

Rufus rolled his eyes. "I'm too busy trying to maintain mein Medbay to zhink about ze damn tail. A sleeve vould cut ze vorry of keeping vet. I just mist ze inside, slip on, and take it off before bed." He states, almost looking like he was ready to snuggle back in bed. He sighs out, laying his head down on the pillow and starring up at the ceiling. "Ze sooner I return to normal... ze better. But team comes first for now. I am ze only Medic on RED as vell as joint Leader, I have to ensure zhings run smoothly zhere. Zhinking of ze stupid tail has alvays been ze last zhing on mein mind."
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:43 pm

"Actually, zhere ist a new Medic on your team."
The TentaMedic busily cleaned his glasses as he spoke, frowning when he realized that the spots were water dripping from his hair.
"I zhink his name vas Nicklas. Apparently, he arrived shortly after dein disappearance. He's actually been vanting to see you, but I told him zhat it vas up to you."
He paused a moment, realizing what he was talking about.
"Didn't I tell you about him before...?"
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:47 pm

"WAS!?!?!"

That got Rufus up, nearly tossing the blanket off and himself off the bed. His face turned pink with rage that started to boil in him. "Zhey DARE send in anozher Medic!? I stated in mein contract I VORK ALONE on base. Vhat I do at ze Legion is different but...but.. NEIN! I don't vant to see zhis ozher Medic nor have him touch me! I vill rip his liver out and make him choke on it if he dares try to vork one on me! I've alvays vorked as ze only Medic! Nein, I... I von't have it! UGH!" He shouts before looking away to keep from going off the deep end... or in this case his medical bed.
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:56 pm

Oh.
Oh dear.

Gerhard moved quickly, almost dropping his glasses as he moved to grab his patient, preventing the man from thrashing himself off the bed and onto the floor in his ire.
"Ach! Beruhigen Sie, bitte! Calm down! Before you hurt deinself!"
Only when he was sure Rufus wasn't about to flail off the bed did the TentaMedic release the man, moving to crouch beside the bed.
"Look, it's not like you vere zhe first RED Medic on zhis battlefield. I shouldt know, I vound up rescuingk zhe drunkard from drowning. It might not be your preference of team members, but zhe Companies haff zhe final say ins zhese zhings. I'm sorry."
Inhaling a breath, the BLU rubbed a hand across his face, remembering his glasses mid-motion and fumbling a moment to retrieve them from his breast pocket. As he set them on his nose, he sighed.
"If it makes you feel any besser, he ist completely different from you. Different skill set, different personality, different everyzhing. I zhink he ist even a pacifist. I doubt he voudl ever vant your side of the job, let alone voudl he take it. Zhe Nicklas I met vas much mehr considerate zhen zhat."
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:02 pm

The blonde stood still in Gerhard's arms before letting out a frustrated groan. "Still... I had hoped to be alone. I don't like sharing.... for reasons I don't vant to repeat." He said, not making eye contact. "Last zhing I vant him to know about is mein condition and I'll have none of it. If I must, I'll lock meinself in ze office to conduct mein vork in peace if I must. I just... vant peace and quiet and no one else touching mein zhings vithout prior knowledge. I don't vant to be looking for gauze and not told ve're out a roll." He explained before slowly turning to meet the other's gaze with a small scowl.

"You... haven't told him about zhis.. have you?" He asked, pointing a finger to his tail.
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:07 pm

Gerhard huffed, giving the RED a narrow look.
"Nozhing regarding your condition outside zhe bacterial infection vas passed on. He vas vorried about you, zhe ozzers told him zhat you vere sick und in mein care. I told him only enough to stop vorrying."
When would Rufus learn that this particular BLU took his Hippocratic Oath more than a little seriously?
The TentaMedic shook his head, moving to stand.
"Anyvay, I'm going to go get us somezhing to eat. If you vant, ve couldt schtart vizh svimming lessons after zhat, alright?"
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:05 pm

The RED shrugged, before laying back down to relax. "I suppose. No coffee. I'm not a drinker of zhat." He stated before glancing at the other Medic.

Once Gerhard left the room momentarily, Rufus leans back up and gazes around the room. How quiet it seemed, only thing he heard was the humming of various machines in the room running. Seemed peaceful... Rufus almost zoned out, until he jumped at the sound of thuds above him. "Was ist los?" He mumbled under his breath, one eyebrow raised in curiosity as the thuds continued. After a while he would hear something akin to talking but too muffled to understand. Eventually the sounds ended.

Rufus glanced up when Gerhard returned. "You have rats in your ceiling?"
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:34 pm

The TentaMedic frowned, brow furrowing in confusion before he finally got what his patient was referring to.
"Unless you zhink zhe few members of BLU to be rats, zhen no. It's zhem runningk around upstairs. If I had to guess, I vould wager eizzer Madison lookingk for a new book or Enrico trippingk down zhe ladder again. If it's zhe latter, ve might have to cut zhe svimming lessons short..."
Shaking his head, Gerhard idly grabbed his desk chair with a tentacle, pulling it up beside Rufus' bed and sitting himself down before setting the breakfast tray between them. Nothing fancy, just tea and toast, but food was food. At least the bread was marginally filling, even with nothing more than a bit of raspberry conserve spread on it.
"Apologies, ve haven't gotten a supply drop here in some time..."
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:04 pm

"You too?" Rufus said, taking his cup of tea, sipping it some. "Seems ve both have somezhing in need of resupply." He frowned some before returning to his drink. For the most part he remained silent, nibble off some of that toast here, a sip there. He was getting better but wasn't completely out of the ill sensations now and then. Eating was still a crawl for Rufus, chewing his food slow so he wouldn't feel as if he would choke.

After a while, did he bring up a conversation. "So... you have a swimming pool of somezhing?" He asked, chewing on a pinch of bread.
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:32 pm

Gerhard chuckled, shaking his head.
"I suppose you couldt call it zhat, but not really."
He set his tea aside, his own toast having been downed much more quickly, and gestured towards the rear of the Infirmary, were it connected to another room.
"Zhis space used to be some kind of composite medical bay und laboratory, vizh livingk quarters inz zhe very back. I don't know vhat the laboratory vas used for, but zhere are large tanks set up in zhere, like vone vould have for pet fish, only much much larger. I-"
He broke off, a soft laugh escaping him before he continued.
"I actually sleep in vone of zhem. Zhey're not badt."
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:45 pm

"Oh? Is zhat vhat zhey are?" Rufus asked before sipping tea. "If our Medbays are almost identical in the sense.. I zhought zhey vere just storage rooms or used for special operations. Ve have two but ze glass vas missing on one side. Been using zhem to store boxes and crap." He said, shrugging. "Our lab is pretty... old and unused. At least... I've never zhought of using it." He said and finished his tea.
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:56 pm

"Really...? Strange..."
Gerhard hummed thoughtfully, his tentacles curling, before he shook himself and moved to stand.
"Ah, somezhing to ponder anozzer time... I shut down two of zhe tanks to save energy, but zhe main large vone ist clean. Zhe filters are surprisingly gute quality, I vas honestly impressed vhen I first arrived."
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:11 pm

Rufus shrugged. "Probably in need of parts. I'll have to see it for meinself before I'll allow you to lower me in zhere." He said. Gazing down at his empty cup, Rufus swished about the tiny contents, gazing at the leaf bits and such. He huffed in a small amused laugh before speaking. "I met zhis fraulein once back home. She said she could tell fortunes from tea leaves after drinking ze tea, leaving just a bit of liquid. I zhought it vas full of nonsense vhen she offered to read mine one day." He said before pausing and glancing up at Gerhard. "She said I vould find hard times seeking somezhing I can't not obtain. Somezhing personal. I zhought she vould mean me to remain single for ze rest of mein life."

Fancy that, there is a small heart in that grouchy body afterall...
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:19 pm

The TentaMedic paused as his patient spoke up, and he found himself leaning on his chair to listen, a brow quirked in quiet interest as the man told his short little tale. Funny, he was learning more about this one man than he knew about any of his own teammates...
Frowning slightly to himself, Gerhard cleared his throat.
"Well, if you want my opinion, zhere ist no vone ins zhis vorld who ist not searching for somezhing, in one vay or anozzer. If zhey deny it, zhey're eizzer crazy or sellingk somezhing."
A small smile, and the BLU moved to clear away the breakfast tray, setting it on his desk for later taking it back to the kitchen.
"Alright. I can eizzer move you to a gurney und ve can roll you into zhe ozzer room, or I can carry you. Vhich do you prefer?"
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:27 pm

The other merely shrugs. "If you don't strangle me... I suppose it vould be easier if you carry me. But if one of zhose.. zhings tries to play vith mein face, don't face I didn't varn you in me biting it." He warns. Placing the cup on the tray and watching as Gerhard placed it away, he placed his glasses back on and a shirt to keep warm for now. "How... cold if ze vater? Last time I took a dip I liked to of froze mein... vell you know ze saying." He said before clearing his throat.
Rufus Schmitz

Next

Return to Infirmary