Slow Recovery (For Gerhard) (CLOSED)

Where the medical staff of the base tends to roam. There is an Office hidden in the very back past the Laboratory, where a small number of tanks sit and bubble quietly.

Slow Recovery (For Gerhard) (CLOSED)

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:03 pm

The first thing Rufus remembered was the sound. The sound of slow dripping water echoing like an amplified giant drum, tapping on the metal sink bottom. Slowly his eyes opened, greeted by the light of the infirmary. His breathing wheezed, growing momentarily louder as the light ached his weakened eyes, slamming them shut.

It took him a few minutes before opening them again and thus started to focus on his surroundings. He was in an infirmary? His? A few more clearer blinks and his answer was a solid no. No shades of RED bands across the walls, they were BLU's. Too weak to protest and demand an explanation, Rufus gazes down to see himself in a sickbed, a warm blanket over his body and a IV drip line in his arm. The German attempts to sit up, only to feel the sickening pain from his tail in a sluggish pace to healing. He winces in silence and attempts to roll on his side.

That was when he spots someone... a familiar set of attire even if the shades were off. A Medic. He blinks once, watching as the other was busy writing down something on paper. Apparently, unbeknown to Rufus, the other had a disguise on, keeping the RED from finding out the truth for now. The blond watches the other for a few more minutes in silence, before making a small cough. That got the other Medic's attention. Once their eyes met, Rufus decided to try and speak, and speak in a way he knows the majority of all Medics spoke.

"Sprechen Sie Deutsch?" He whispers, gawd it has been so long since he used his native language.

"It aches some." He said in his native tongue, barely able to go above a whisper.
Last edited by Rufus Schmitz on Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rufus Schmitz

Re: Slow Recovery (For Gerhard)

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:01 am

In all honesty, Gerhard hadn't been expecting his patient to come to consciousness for at least another few days, and had been busying himself with taking care of some backlogged paperwork when he'd heard that soft cough. Not an uncommon sound, it usually meant he needed to get up off his ass and re-wet the cloths keeping the much bandaged tail from drying out and causing further damage.
To look up and have his gaze met was... Startling.
Clearing his throat, the TentaMedic moved to stand, his tentacles shifting smoothly to support his weight. With any luck, the presence of a fellow hybrid, even a disguised one, would prevent the RED from becoming anxious and making his condition worse from the stress.
"Ah, ja. The ache is probably from your tail drying, it pulls on the bandages. But I can get you some pain killer if you think you need it."
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:38 pm

Rufus didn't noticed the tentacles if they poked through the holographic disguise. Maybe that was a good thing, as his attention was on Gerhard's upper half. He sniffles once before glancing away. So they know his secret? With a deep groan he replies back. "Kill me then. You know my secret so there's no hope of keeping it away from my team of this affliction. I've been working so hard and so long to keep prying eyes away from it and only have the trust of one team mate to keep his mouth shut about it. But if you know... then it's only a matter of time before the others see what ails me."

Count on Rufus to know he was talking about his tail, not the fact he was deathly sick. "Killing me would do this place a service in keeping team morale better. My team does not need something I am afflicted with prevent them from performing when the day finally comes we act as we are suppose to be: Mercenaries." He said, stubborn as a child it seems.
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:00 pm

It took a moment for Gerhard to catch on to what the RED was referring to, the man's phrasing ambiguous enough to have him need to stop and consider the words before formulating a reply, a disapproving frown tugging at the edges of his mouth as he sidled closer to the bed.
"Herr, if you're referring to the bacterial infection that nearly killed you, I can understand not wishing to reveal yourself to your companion's scrutiny. A doctor is only as good as the treatments he is able to perform, on himself or others, and being brought down by something as simple as a lack of antibiotics is embarrassing. However..."
Here, the BLU allowed the frown twitching at his lips to take hold, and his expression went from neutral to a level of disapproval that rivaled that of a mother having discovered her underaged child behind the shed smoking a stolen cigarette.
"If you are referring to the tail that was improperly tended and left with open injuries that came to cause your current state, I must strongly protest, for your team's sake as well as your own."
Shaking his head, Gerhard moved to 'kneel' at the RED's bedside, swiftly flipping back the blanket and moving to replace the damp towels he'd been using to help keep that pinky tail properly hydrated.
"Now, I need to rotate out these towels so the skin keeps hydrated. Stay still."
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:28 pm

"NO! Don't you dare touch it!"

Rufus snapped, somehow managing to pull the strength to shout and move away. This left him staggering for breath starring down Gerhard with an angered look in his weaken eyes. "This affliction has been the thorn in my side for as long as it appeared back in Coldfront, I'd rather saw the whole damn thing off then having to live day to day with this plague!" The blonde stopped, turning away to cough heavily.

Eventually Rufus collapses on his bed, heaving back and forth as sweat peppered over his face and body. His throat was raw and rough, scratching every time he took in a breath. He tried to swallow, only finding it hard to do so. Once he seemed to calm down, he relaxes back on the pillow. "You're wasting your time with me... Even if you healed me, I will still inflict damage onto this parasitic affliction until I am normal again... I can't give up.. otherwise I am useless as a Battle Medic to my team." Rufus panted.
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:42 pm

Gerhard jerked at his patient's sudden outburst, dropping his grip on the blanket and unwittingly letting it slip off onto the floor. A moment to regain his composure, and he promptly scowled when the RED collapsed. He returned to his task, gathering up the rolled up towels that had been lain on either side of that lacerated tail and dumping them into a waiting bin for later cleaning before moving to get a clean set from the cupboard.
"Whether you like it or not, your current physical state is a much a part of you as your legs once were. Rather than fighting against it and harming yourself with such negligence, you should be working with it to continue forwards. I should know-"
A gloved hand reached into the doctor's jacket, pulling out a hefty looking pocket watch and depressing a hidden switch with a faint click.
"That's what I did."
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:32 am

Rufus looked back over his shoulder, starring at Gerhard as if he was simply stupid. "Accept it?! Like hell I would. I haven't merely been sitting around doing nothing but 'babysit' a bunch of so called mercenaries since I arrived! I've been toying away at making an antidote. I'm close.. close so when the damn Respawn systems return to normal flow, I can use it and return to my former self. I'll never give up till the day I am standing tall and proud and watch the damn wheelchair burn."

He stares at the BLU a while longer before taking note of the last statement. The RED Medic blinks in confusion before speaking up. "What did you mean be that!? What are you talking about?!'
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:14 pm

The RED's questioning was half-lost in a familiar whoosh as Gerhard's human guise was dropped. It took a moment for the smoke to clear, but once it had, the BLU's meaning was made quite blatantly clear in the writhing mass of blue muscle that splayed out from under the hem of the Medic's coat. Tucking the watch away, Gerhard made no comment, allowing his patient to come to his own conclusions while he dug out a fresh set of towels to soak in the sink.
It was easier to keep the damp terrycloth warm in the metal sink...
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:54 pm

The RED had to force himself up some to see. His eyes widen at the appearance of smoke automatically assuming the Medic was a Spy. But when the real person was revealed, Rufus's face went from confusion to downright fear and anger. He actually leered back to the edge of his bed, threatening to fall off if it meant staying away from the truth. A sneer sliced on his face, disgusted.

"You!? One of .. zhem!? A... A FREAK OF NATURE!?" He shouts back in English now. His heart was racing, making him light headed some, but all he could think of now was fleeing this monster as he was defenseless. The blonde's breath quickened, panicking. "St-Stay avay from me! Don't you dare touch me!"
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:16 pm

Gerhard frowned, lips pressed into a thin line, but he refused to reply to his patient's outburst. Even if it did hurt to be called such names...
He calmly wrung out one of the towels, the terrycloth faintly steaming from the water, and rolled it into a thick pad before turning to do the same with the second towel.
"You know, you should nicht be insulting zhe man who saved your life und hast been keeping you comfortable und safe for zhe past several days."
Shaking his head, the TentaMedic approached the gurney, the damp towels cradled in his arms.
"Didn't your parents ever teach you anyzhing...?"
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:53 pm

The RED's eyes narrowed, still backing away as Gerhard approached. When spoke to about his parents, Rufus turned his head away and let out a huff. "Vhy should I care about zhem? Zhey never cared enough about me unless money vas involved or it helped zhem gain more social status amongst zheir circle." He states, refusing to look Gerhard in the eye.

In fact the subject matter appeared harsh, as if a wound had been picked open and instead of acknowledging it, Rufus bears the pain as he always had been since childhood and keeping his bitterness to himself until he could find some unlucky sap to vent out onto. A TentaMedic was certainly not one of those saps. "Vhy should you care? I'm sure you had a better family growing up."
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:11 pm

The RED's reaction to his mentioning of family caught the BLU doctor by surprise. He hadn't meant to cause his patient distress, he didn't know...
Gerhard swallowed, his irritation waning in the face of his unintentional insult (since that was how the RED seemed to have taken it), and he took a moment to compose himself before continuing his approach. He didn't speak for several moments, concentrating on the job at hand and using it as an excuse to avoid his patient's sharp gaze while he got his thoughts in order.
"...do you vant to talk about it?"
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:52 pm

The German kept his gaze away as Gerhard tended to his tail. The silence was awkward, but maybe it was something normal to Rufus. He sighs out, before glancing back to the BLU. "Vhy? Zhere's nozhing interesting about zhem. Mein Fazher vas a local surgeon and mein Mozher vas an Accountant's Assistant. Zhey didn't really have time for me. Not zhat I cared after a vhile. So I kept to meinself." He explains, before finally facing Gerhard. "It's boring. If someone tried to vrite a book about mein life before I left Vest Germany before ze vall came down, zhey vould find it dull and senseless."

He failed to mention 'depressing' and 'lonely'.
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:11 pm

Well, that sounded like a 'no' then.
Gerhard simply nodded, figuring the RED wouldn't feel like expounding on his past and instead focusing on his efforts tending to the man's injured tail. It was starting to look quite a lot healthier with proper levels of moisture being applied to it, even the sores were looking less angry... Thankfully, no more abscesses had cropped up, so that was a definite plus.
"...How did you vind up ins zhis state? You are a competent physician from vhat I have surmised, vhat kept you from taking care of zhe infection yourself?"
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:34 pm

Rufus rolled his eyes before laying back against his pillow, glancing off before returning to stare at Gerhard. "Ve started running out of supplies a few months ago. Around October really. I tried to get a fresh supply in but ve haven't heard anyzhing from RED ozher zhan sending in ze occasional recruit here and zhere. Because of zhat, I vas reduced to using a mild pill form to combat ze infections and even zhen I couldn't take much for fear of liver damage. So I basically took pain killers and steroids to dull ze pain and ignore it. Moved on towards ze team, especially one zhat liked to vasted a chunk of supplies." He explained. "But zhen again, I razher ze tail rot off zhan have it attach any longer. I vant to return to normal and I'll be damned if I can't get zhat cure."
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:22 am

"Have you ever considered zhis anyzhing ozzer zhan ein affliction?"
The TentaMedic finally looked up from his work, a brow quirking as he regarded his patient with a look that would make a reprimanding mother proud.
"Have you ever stopped to consider zhe fact zhat most hybrid creations don't survive past zhe first few hours? Zhat most die from complications zhat keep zhem from functioning, zhat zhe ability to live past a few days vizh zheir parts fighting one anozzer for dominance ist nozhing short of a miracle?"
Gerhard shook his head, a gloved hand running through his hair as he moved to stand.
"I used to vork at a place zhat zhe Companies called a research facility. I have seen men und vimen die in agony, screamingk und crying for somevone to end zhe pain as zhey are strapped down to a surgical table by men who abandoned zheir right to be called doctors zhe moment zhey signed onto zhe job."
A short inhale, the BLU seeming to need to calm himself before he continued.
"You haff no idea how lucky you are to be vhere you are today, living und breazhing vizh zhe only zhing missing your ability to valk."
With that, Gerhard moved to retrieve a syringe from a nearby cupboard, tapping out the bubbles as he returned to the bedside.
"Now, zhis ist a dose of antibiotics mixed vizh a low level pain killer. It should ease zhe ache you are feelingk."
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:26 pm

Now that perked up Rufus's interest. What sort of facility did this Medic attend to? Probably had no connections to the Medical Legion Rufus was a member of. He blinks a few times, listening to how he was 'lucky' to be alive. "I never knew such zhings." He said, before gazing at the syringe. "Go on zhen." He gestures with a hand slowly before relaxing.

As he looks up at the ceiling, he sighs out. "May the scalpel be mein Sword, and ze Mind mein road to ze future..." He whispers before glancing back to Gerhard with a small amused smirk. "Zhat's ze motto for ze Medical Legion. Normally I'm not suppose to talk about it, but seeing as I haven't heard from zhem after ze incident, I suppose I could shed some light on vhat it is." He said before wincing at the needle into his hip. "Hey! Easy zhere! Anyvays, ze Legion is a member invite only and once you're in, it's nearly impossible to get out. It consists of Medics of both teams to meet up at an old location zhat use to be a fighting territory before it became ignored. Ve wear black instead of colors so you can't tell vho's friend or foe. Zhere, ve focus mostly on ze Science aspect of zhings, hobbies and vhatnot for as long as each meet up is from a weekend to as long as a month. It's a bit of a secret society, our experiments can be to dangerous to conduct in front of our teams. I vas zhere to study monocular structures in zhings such as illnesses and genetic screw-ups. Basically... revert and reconnect genes so zhey vork properly... so zhat ze blind can see and deaf can hear. Zhat sort of zhing. DNA tampering vas just part of ze study. Ve... never saw anyone vork in human hybridization on site. Not somezhing ze Legion really needs in zheir collective of researchers." Rufus explained.
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:00 pm

The tentacled Medic listened quietly as his patient spoke, telling of some sort of secret society within the confines of the Companies influence. No doubt several of the doctors employed at the various 'research' facilities were at least aware of the thing...
He didn't respond for a long moment, brow furrowed and eyes narrowed as he wiped away the small spot of blood that welled up from the injection site, removing a tube of MediGel from his coat pocket to patch the tiny injury. Normally, he wouldn't have used such precious supplies, but it was better to get the little things patched up before they became infected and became less-than-little things, like the abscesses and sores that pockmarked the RED's tail.
"I never vanted to be a part of zhat misery. I signed up for BLU because mein family und I desperately needed zhe money, und BLU vas zhe only place I knew of zhat vas offering such funds. Of course, zhey veren't called BLU at zhe recruitment office, oh no, zhe vere under a cover name, a front-"
Gerhard broke off, lurching to stand with perhaps more force than necessary to dump the used hypodermic and then to the sink to wash his hands. When he returned to the gurney, he seemed to have calmed himself down some, but his horizontal pupils were still narrowed into barely perceptible slits.
"Zhey assigned me to zhe facility over zhe battlefield because I had originally intended to become ein Tier-Artz before I changed mein focus to Kinder, und zhe needed somevone vizh a backgrounf vorking vizh animals to help zhe new hybrids adapt... I fought to make zhe facility a better place, to try und slow down zhe production, help zhose who vere altered vizh no hope of returning to zheir original form-"
He grit his teeth, jaw creaking audibly as he struggled to compose himself, his tentacles twisting and writhing over another in agitation.
"Ve vere attacked. I vas vone of zhe casualties. Und zhey stripped mich of everyzhing, und ruined all zhe vork I had put into making zhat horrible place somezhing besser..."
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:03 pm

The injured RED listened, and chose to go silent for a while. Eyes closing, he goes into thought on the matter before he would select his words carefully this time. Eventually as he laid there, Rufus nods to himself mostly before looking back at Gerhard. "Ve aren't so different after all, Herr BLU. You and I... casualties of becoming somezhing ve aren't against our vills... " He calmly says. "I have a hunch on vho might of done zhis to me, but because I do not know vhat team he fights for... it makes it quite problematic in returning vith revenge."
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:44 am

Gerhard forced himself to take deep breaths, sitting down in his desk chair to regain his composure. It still hurt to think of the facility, how hard he had worked to try and make it a better place, and how swiftly it had all gone downhill when he was changed...
He came back to himself just in time to hear the RED speak up, and he sighed, rubbing a hand across the bridge of his nose before straightening his glasses and sitting up.
"I know who did zhis to me. I know also zhat he hast lost his mind, zhat any attempts to even attempt revenge vould be beyond useless vizh a person so gone into his own head he zhinks zhat zhe chaos he causes vizh his creations is zhe vork of God. And..."
The BLU paused a moment, collecting his thoughts and choosing his words.
"And I realized zhe moment I voke up underwasser, breazhing as easily as I had in zhe air, zhat revenge vould only turn mich into anozzer vone of his creations, anozzer monster for him to chase und destroy. Zhat ist vhy I chose instead to vork vizh myself, endure und reclaim zhe parts of myself zhat mattered zhe most, to continue onwards."
"Revenge is only the way backwards, and has no purpose."
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Next

Return to Infirmary