Error - [Open]

The first floor of BLU is a metallic mess of all the necessities to keep the base running. Cooking, cleaning, using the facilities, you name it! Just remember that you're in charge of your own Laundry.

Error - [Open]

Postby 12 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:54 pm

He was dead. At least, he had been. That was the beauty of respawn.

He'd been injured, limping away from those zombies, one leg halfway melted off. The pain still burned dully, though in a way that definitely registered as odd. Something was wrong; very, very wrong. He was cold all of a sudden, and things were very bright--was that the ceiling? Lights. Those had to be lights. Either that, or he was in some kind of purgatory with the added bonus of feeling like he had a knife in his head. As far as he could tell, he was on his back on the respawn floor; at least, he hoped so. 12 cracked one eye open with a grimace, gritting his teeth as his vision adjusted. Why was he so cold? Another thing, why could he not feel his tail? What was goi--

Where were his wings? Why did he have HANDS?

He scrambled to a sitting position, eyes wide. What the hell had happened? He'd been killed by one of the zombies. There was no way that that could've resulted in...this. Hell, this base didn't even HAVE any old respawn data of him, so how could it-- Where was Henry? Henry would know about it. 12 took one look down at his feet and frowned, the thought of trying to walk anywhere right now being very thoroughly disapproved of. What could he do, though? The Scout pushed himself to his feet shakily, holding one hand against the wall and all the while trying not to think of how wrong this all felt. He bit his lip, trying to calm himself down with a few deep breaths and a death grip on his collar. At least that was still there, though everything else that should be wasn't. 12 looked up at the doorway, wondering when it got so far away. He felt a bit dizzy--maybe he should just sit down? There was a bench right there. He obliged himself, attempting to get comfortable as best he could. Things were just too weird for him right now. Maybe he was dreaming? Yeah, that sounded like it. There was no way this was happening! He would wake up in respawn again any minute now and be right as rain, all back to normal and properly feathered as he should be. Then, he could go about his merry way and check up on his team to make sure that everybody else was okay.

After a few seconds of this line of thought, an idea came to mind. He should pinch himself, with these weird 'new' fingers, just to see if he really was asleep. 12 held his breath, hesitating for a moment before he actually did it.

Nothing happened.

A soft whimper escaped him.
Lieutenant

Re: Error - [Open]

Postby Henry Adams » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:57 am

Under the base, under the respawn, and, hell, even under the swamp at this depth, Henry was hard at work. The lower levels of the respawn system, accessible only by claustrophobic maintenance hatches, more suited for mice than men, were a cold, dark place, kept visible only by the soft glow of a thousand blinking status indicators. In the winding labyrinth that the system necessitated, errors were small and, as few as there were, they were a serious problem.

Seriously, this is a pain in the ass. Who the hell designed the layout for this base? Half expect to find a wandering minotaur and have him ask for directions.

Spotting a flaw in the machinery, thankfully right where he had expected it to be, he pulled out his kit and got down to business. The error itself required a soldering iron, which was standard Engineer equipment. Before the soldering could happen, he had to remove the big hunk of scrap that had apparently buckled under the weight of the machine itself. Nothing important, he told himself, just another piece of unnecessary plating. As he buried himself in the sound of electrical currents and burning metal, heating under the tip of the iron, a larger, more pressing cocaphony began to drown it out.

Without warning, the system kicked to life, pumps and valves whirling into action, and before he could properly process this fact, Henry was fiddling with what had just know become an active data BUS, and he was blocking the transfer.

Oh. Oh shit. Oh fuck, no.

He dropped the kit, tracing his way back to the hatch at as much of a run as the tight corners would allow. Even so, by the time he made it back to the portal he had entered through, the machine had slowed to a stop, and its job was complete. Scaling the ladder, he popped up through the hatch in the floor, and the first thing he saw was shocking. There was a man. A young man, and familiar. It was Twelve, sans feathers. Joe Greene, as he had once been.

Whaaaaat the fuck did I just do. "Twelve, buddy? You alright? Christ, this is my fault, I'm so sorry. We need to get you to the medic. Can you stand up? Do you need help?"
Henry Adams

Postby 12 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:27 pm

He'd jerked when the hatch was opened, and it took a few seconds to register who it was that was talking to him. Everything seemed a lot more blurry than usual, which was frustrating. Wait a second, Henry had said something. A bunch of things. It was his fault? What had he done?

"I--I don't know? T-This is really confusin' and I don't know what's goin' on and what do you mean it's your fault." The full weight of that finally connected, and he stared at Henry with a mix of shock and the start of anger. That was a weird thing to be feeling, and he wasn't quite sure he was okay with it. But...it was Henry's fault? God, all of this was just making his head hurt worse. He rubbed his eyes, frowning. If this really was Henry's doing, he had better find a way to fix it quickly. That was one thing he was certain of. "Wh-- I'm not sure how great I-I'll be for walkin'." Well, understatement of the year. He was very likely to wind up falling flat on his face after the first step, as far as he was concerned.
Lieutenant

Postby Penultimate Pi » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:56 pm

Adrian knew a Respawn when he heard one. After all, he gone through it plenty of times. Of course, the fact that it was louder and more strangled here wasn't a good indication.

He'd been in the middle of dressing himself after a long, cold, stressful shower to wash away those bad thoughts. Twelve dying, just after leaving Argent and blowing up a vault with several zombies inside, was taking a heavy toll on Adrian. The apparent death of Josif and other past memories haunted him still as well, tallying a list of pressures on the demolitionist's being. But now, hopping up in his pants, the Demoman thought, What 'm I thinkin'? 'S all good, Respawn's working.

And then his second thought was, Wait, is it SUPPOSED t' take that long!?

He rushed off to Respawn, pulling on his boots and grabbing a spare blue T-shirt. By the time he had made it down the stars to the tiled room, Adrian was pulling on the shirt, and finally brought it past his damp dreadlocks and over his bare, muscled chest. Shaking out his head, Adrian's eyes were greeted by the sight of...

...Who was that?
It LOOKED like 12, but more... humanoid. The feathers and talons were replaced with human limbs and fingers, and Henry and 12 himself were freaking out about it. Adrian rushed behind the Engineer, but wasn't sure what to make of the situation. Wasn't 12 human before? If not, how'd be become human again? Could it be reversed?

"Wha's goin' on here?" was the best the utterly wrecked Adrian could sputter out.
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Puffin » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:30 pm

She wasn't sure how long she'd been dead. But she was dead, that much she knew for certain. It was a strange and terrifying existence, one without sound, vision, or feeling. Completely isolated, just a lone consciousness in a world of nothingness. And she could do nothing about it but desperately pray for something, anything to happen. Sometimes she wondered if this was really what respawn was like, or if it was purgatory (or even hell) itself. Any amount of pain would be preferable to an eternity of sensual deprivation. But, luckily for her, it was not to last. Slowly, she became aware of the space around her. She could again feel her fingers and toes. And suddenly, there was light.

The other capsule opened, and unceremoniously spat out Madison onto the floor with a loud thud. Harsh fluorescent lights and cold linoleum had never been so inviting. She felt dizzy and lightheaded, but she couldn't complain, as it was better than nothing. Groaning and lifting her head up slowly, she took a look around, if nothing else to make sure this wasn't some DMT fueled hallucination.

Well hey, there was Henry sitting on the bench. And there was the demoman who had caused the explosion that had killed her in the doorway. And there was... wait, who was that on the bench? He looked familiar. She blinked and gave him a closer look. Wait a second, was that...?

"... 12?"
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Postby Henry Adams » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:14 pm

Fuck, this is a nightmare. How could so much go wrong in SO LITTLE TIME.

Henry, obviously, was having trouble keeping up with everything. He had just turned his favorite teammate into something beyond comprehension, another two teammates just walked in to witness it, one coming back from the DEAD just to see his mistake, and his heart was physically breaking from the look that 12 was shooting at him.

"Fuck. I-I can't. I don't. I'm so sorry..." On his knees, gripping the little man by the arm, he could do nothing but rest his forehead on his friend's shoulder. "I can fix this, I swear. I just. I just need to. FUCK, I KNOW I CAN FIX THIS. Just give me some time, okay? You'll do that, right buddy? I just need. I need. More..."
Henry Adams

Postby 12 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:39 pm

"Madi--Why're you respawnin'?" What had happened when he was dead? He stared for a second, but the look on her face was more than enough to remind him that things were definitely wrong. He cringed, glancing down at the floor and awkwardly trying to cover his arms with his hands. He blinked at Henry for a second, the words not quite making sense. How much time would it take was the question most prominent in his mind now, and he bit his lip, smothering a not-quite-pleasant response that had welled up from who knows where. The former hybrid was shaking now, partially from the feeling of cold and partially from panic. Henry had said he could fix it. Except it had been his fault in the first place--so what did that even mean? No, it wasn't intentional; and if it was, he was going to repeatedly introduce Henry's head to a bat-- He paused. Where had that even come from?

12 remembered that Adrian was here at that moment, and he took another deep breath. He couldn't panic, not right now. "I--came back wrong? F-for lack of a...better word." Well, that hadn't sounded as bad as he'd thought it would, momentary wobble in his voice notwithstanding. If he was going to get to Gerhard soon, he had to calm down and try his best to get there. He could save the freaking out for later. Probably. Really, the Scout figured his chances of keeping himself calm were very low, so he also reasoned that letting a bit of panic out in short bursts was entirely reasonable, given the situation.
Lieutenant

Postby Penultimate Pi » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:44 pm

Adrian was still confused. Twelve had come back wrong? As far as the demolitions expert could tell, the Scout looked more normal than ever. "How, exactly... wrong?" Adrian said, unable to form a major sentence, much less describe the situation in their hands. He rubbed his moist dreadlocks in thought; apparently Henry had somehow made 12 respawn as a full human, and apparently that was a bad thing. Was 12 just used to being a hybrid? It didn't make sense, to the Demoman.

Of course, the Heavy respawning was okay, too. At least nothing was wrong with her, from what he could tell. Still she looked just as puzzled as he did, and he could see why. Well, no, he couldn't. Was everyone just used to seeing 12 as a hybrid? Was he MEANT to be that way?

"I mean, you're totally... human now. Ain't tha' a good thing?"
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Puffin » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:33 pm

"I DIED," Madison said matter-of-factly to 12's question. De doors blew up and den... uh..." she actually never really felt the hunk of metal that hit her, having the luxury of an instant death. She thought about it for a minute, in vain. "Do eit'er of you remember why I died?," she asked, looking back and forth between the engineer and the demoman.

She let the group continue their banter as she tried to push herself up off the floor. A bit of a difficult process, as her hands were shaking and her head felt light. But, after some effort, she managed to stand up, swaying, and make her way over to the bench on the other side of 12. From what she could deduce from her dizziness, this was the result of a respawn error.

If it could even be called an error. She found herself agreeing with Adrian, and honestly couldn't imagine what the issue was. From what she could remember from her conversations with Gerhard, he wanted to be human but didn't believe that such a thing was possible. Maybe something like this would give him hope if he saw it.

She was about to say as much when she noticed how utterly scared and distressed the little scout looked. "12... I..." it was a big change, she supposed. Better choose her words carefully. "12, I t'ink de important t'ing is dat y' came t'rough at all, and dat y' still have all your major bodily functions. I'm jus' glad you're safe."
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Postby Henry Adams » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:57 pm

Somewhat broken by the rush of activity on what was supposed to be a quiet day of work, Henry stood and walked back to the maintenance hatch without speaking another word. Lifting the door, he dropped himself in, landing hard on what he now considered to be his 'good' leg, that being the one that could withstand heavy trauma. He worked his way carefully down the aisles of machinery, picking up his bits of equipment as he saw them, until he finally returned to the source of the problem.

Staring blindly at the one little open BUS line that had been carrying the essential bit of data that he had inadvertently obstructed, Henry lived, for a moment, in his head, letting the outside world slip away in the sound of utter stillness while the machine rested. With a heavy hand, he leaned against the metal-work, and as he looked down to the ground, he spotted another fragment of debris that was no doubt obstructing even more of the machine's work. With a swift stomp, he did away with that.
Henry Adams

honey I broke the bird

Postby 12 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:00 pm

"How is it good. HOW IS IT." Screw being calm. "I--They'll know, I'm gonna get found again and brought right back in--a-and then it's gonna be another line and fuckin' shot in the head, dragged back out worse. It's not--NOT A GOOD THING." He didn't know what to do, and it was seriously freaking him out. He really just wanted to go hide somewhere where none of them could see him and where he couldn't be found. 12 didn't doubt that there were places like that out here, but he wasn't even really sure he could stand up, so finding one would have to wait. He shrank away when Madison took a place on the bench, trying to just take up as little room as he physically could on the thing. "I ca--I can't, this, this isn't supposed to happen, it's just the same thing in reverse--" At this point, he just lost coherency, curling up tight and tucking his knees to his chest. To some credit, he stopped talking shortly after, instead just shaking and trying to mentally convince himself that this wasn't happening.
Lieutenant

Postby Penultimate Pi » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:37 pm

Adrian was confused before, but now he was absolutely baffled. What did 12's ramblings mean? Who was he talking about? How could being human be worse than being a hybrid-bird thing? Desperately, the Demoman tried to ask and answer these questions, but just didn't where to start. Finally, he decided not to start, seeing as 12 had shriveled himself into a panicky ball.

Now, for Madison...

"Maddy..." Adrian started slowly, still trying to keep his own cool in the mayhem, "About... why you died..." There was a pause here, as Adrian failed to summon his inner linguist. "You broke your neck. I dunno how, but... y' did, an'... y' died. Tha's all I got." The Demoman hated to be the bearer of bad news, but someone had to. It wasn't so bad, really, considering she was alive and well just as 12-

No, that wasn't the right way to describe it. 12 was out of his mind right now, and if the demolitions expert had any idea why, he'd try to console the poor Scout. But he couldn't, and just resorted to standing there on the linoleum floor, caught in an awkward position.
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Puffin » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:34 pm

Madison honestly had no idea what to do in this situation. She wanted to comfort 12, but she honestly wasn't sure how. She just felt tired and uncoordinated and weird. Probably not as weird as 12 was feeling, but still quite out of it. As it turned out, dying sucked, and she now knew the reason why other mercs seemed to dread respawn. She would have a note not to die in the future.

"12..." she said, leaning against the wall and looking at the frightened scout, trying to get herself focused. "No one's gonna hurt you. No one's gonna do anyt'in' to you, and if dey try, I'll kill dem." She still wasn't one hundred percent what his deal was, but there seemed to be some deeper issues present.

Of course, at Adrian's explanation she couldn't help but be a bit upset. "Broke my neck?! Well, necks don't break demselves. How many stickies did y' plant, huh? Like twenty or somet'in'? Y' overdid it, dat much is for certain." She wondered if anyone else had died in the explosion or as a result of it, but she wasn't quite sure that she wanted to hear the answer.
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Penultimate Pi » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:17 pm

"Yeah, thanks, rub it in, why don'cha," Adrian grumbled at Madison's annoyed remark at his obvious screw-up. The Demoman, frankly, was getting tired of getting chewed out for his problems. Everyone already knew it was his fault, so why they always have to outright declare it...!?

Adrian, getting the clear notion he was being useless here, said, "Imma go fin' our Medic. He could prob'ly 'elp out a bit mo' than I can." With that, the Demoman left the room, heading down the halls to the Medbay.

Seeing the double doors were shut, Adrian pounded on them a bit, calling out, "Ay, uh, we got a bit o' a sit-u-ash with Respawn. Mind comin' down to help?" Hopefully, the Medic was around; he couldn't imagine he'd go anywhere else so soon after their warehouse burned down (no, don't think about that...!)
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:39 am

At first, it seemed like the Medic wasn't home, the desk empty and the doctor no where in sight, but then there was some splashing from the back room, and Gerhard poked his head out. He was dripping wet, and apparently not dressed yet if the way he was leaning around the door was anything to go by.
"Ja? Was ist zhe problem?"

He'd been feeling rather tetchy lately, finding it difficult to sit down and work the way he usually did, wanting to get up and move around and do something with much more intensity than he remembered. He hadn't found anything wrong, he wasn't sick and the MediGun had fixed him up properly, but there was something... Off.
What though, he had yet to figure out.
So he'd been swimming in his tank in an attempt to wear himself out enough to get back to work.

Good thing he had pretty decent hearing, else he would have missed the Demo's arrival completely.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Penultimate Pi » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:16 pm

Oh boy. How to put this...

"Respawn... kinda broke. Th' bird-guy... ain't s' much a bird as 'e is a guy..." Adrian put a hand to his face in annoyance, unable to put out the right words. "Jus'... jus' git some stuff on an' come wit' me. You're gonna wanna see this..."

While waiting for the Medic to get dressed, Adrian began to idly fiddle with some of the stray instruments left on the counter. He wasn't much of a patient person at times, and more often than not found himself fidgeting with items. The Demoman didn't have to wait too long, however, and as he saw Gerhard emerge from the doors, he immediately dropped the empty syringe he'd been holding and beckoned for the Medic to follow him down to Respawn.
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:28 pm

The Medic practically jumped from the amiable hybrid into Doctor Mode, disappearing into the back room for a towel and to get some clothes on before rushing out past the Demo to grab up his first aid kit and unlock the MediGun cabinet, shouldering one of the healing machines before charging towards the staircase that led to the Respawn room, not even pausing to check and see if his teammate was keeping up.
He practically barreled through the closed door in his haste, a quick tentacle just barely managing to shove the door open in time, revealing the disheveled and agitated Medic to the gathered few, his damp hair sticking to his forehead and his glasses askew. A moment to observe the situation, and he was crouched down beside 12, all business as he set his MediGun on the floor and opened his kit.
"12, bitte, focus on mich, ve're going to give you a quick check up, alright?"
He kept his voice soft, but firm, a mother telling her child to sit still so she could kiss the pain away and put a band aid on the scraped knee.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby 12 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:17 am

12 had remained exactly where he was in the meantime, head jerking up when he heard footsteps again. He met the pair with a look that was equal parts terror and horror, too distracted right now to prepare himself to bolt.

Medic. Checkup, he said. Faces weren't really registering, but the kit certainly did. That was bad. No, no, he wasn't going to let that happen again. He hadn't resisted at first, but this wasn't then. This was different. The Scout stood up slowly, still shaky on his feet as he moved. "D-Don't. No. That--That is not gonna be how it goes this t-time." he warned, slowly backing up toward the doors. He had to get out of here as quickly as possible. There was no other option.
Last edited by 12 on Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant

Postby Puffin » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:15 pm

Madison was laying on the bench by the time Gerhard came inside, still trying to shake off the strangeness of being newly alive and with all five of her senses back. She heard his voice, picking up her head slowly. "Ger... You didn't die...?" She couldn't help but feel happy about that, her face visibly brightening in expression. Her death and ensuing discomfort seemed a lot more insignificant now, and at least he had seemingly made it out in time.

But her happiness turned to concern as soon as she noticed 12 backing away in fear. She sighed. Gerhard always meant well, but he could be overbearing at times. "Ger," she said, sitting up and reaching out to gently tug on his shirt. "Leave 'im be. He's still spooked, if you're gonna do dat at least give 'im some time t' calm down some."
Puffin
Site Admin

Return to First Floor