Cold Regards... (Closed)

There are two large rooms set aside for the barracks, one for girls, and one for guys. The girls side is connected to the upstairs bathrooms.

Cold Regards... (Closed)

Postby Penultimate Pi » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:47 pm

The air was littered was dust and chemicals, all of it stung the senses and the lungs. Through bloodshot eyes, he looked around. There was naught to be seen, though; ruins of once-large bases happened to be the only scenery to look at. It all so stupid... the infantry, the team, the setup, the bomb...
To hell with them all, he thought in his state of anger- no, LOATHING for those bastards that put him through this... blown all to pieces and left to rot...
I'll make them PAY! Foaming at the mouth, he lashed out at a wild dog who had made the mistake of existing in his presence. Tearing into the flesh, breaking the bones apart...

And then he woke up. Heavy gasps replaced Josif's once normal breathing as he burst out of his sleep, sweat cascading down his brow and senses blurred and hazy. Josif had THAT dream again... a nightmare of violence, anger, revenge; all longings of a wild animal. But that's not me... I'm me, the normal me, Josif reassured himself, coming out of this slumbering stupor. But then something struck Josif- a memory, or lack thereof. He didn't remember falling asleep at all. He rubbed his eyes, gazed around, let his recollection of memory piece together the missing details.

Josif was in a room of the barracks. He had come there after following a dimly lit sign to a set of doors, all of which presumably held living quarters. Not knowing his specific bunk (or if he ever received one), Josif had picked a door at random. He was greeted to a set of reasonably sized bunk beds accompanied by a dresser stuffed into a nook opposite the door. When Josif had come in, there was nobody around, only disheveled items, sheets and clothes evidencing that there was people occupying this room. Josif picked an unused bottom bunk and stuffed his weapons under the bed, his miscellaneous luggage bags stacked at the foot of the bed. He had then laid down to think about what he might do in this new place...

But that was history, now. A couple weeks had passed since that first arrival, and he wasn't feeling too welcome here. Nightmares had been haunting Josif's mind for quite some time now, something that concerned him. Maybe the way he was faring in this place was affecting his mind. Perhaps that was what he was thinking about when he dozed off. People had probably come and gone over some, and in the midst of Josif's troubled sleep, whoever was here now was probably either concerned or annoyed...

((Disregard the actual contents of the nightmare, it's only an exaggerated flashback.))
Last edited by Penultimate Pi on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Re: Cold Regards... (Open)

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:04 am

{seems like I'm posting in everything...}

Across the room and huddled up in a large kennel, Jericho held himself as still as he possibly could, buried underneath a blanket and peering out from under it all at the panting Soldier. The man smelled strongly of fear, and until very recently, had been convulsing rather violently atop his bed. Not knowing what he was supposed to do, the chimera had hunkered down and gotten himself hidden, just in case the Soldier wasn't awake all the way yet and saw him as a monster in need of attacking.
Damn, but this was really not a good way to wake up from a nap...
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Penultimate Pi » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:45 pm

Josif took a look around, to see if there was anyone around with him. He noticed a pet kennel on the side of the room; inside, a shape huddled under a layer of blankets. Still recovering from his restless sleep, Josif pulled his own blanket off, tossing his legs off the side of the bed to sit upright. Mopping his forehead and staring at the kennel, Josif racked his brain, wondering what was within that barred container. Pets weren't normally allowed, were they?

Then Josif remembered. One of the RED Pyros owned a strange creature, a... chimera, was it? It was some sort of hybrid that had a tendency of acting dog-like, so it was a pet, in essence. It also served as on of the teams Soldiers, though Josif hadn't really seen this creature's prowess of that. In fact, he hadn't struck well with anyone yet, much less the hybrid. If the chimera-Soldier was in the kennel, then it probably had seen Josif's dream-induced spasms.

Not one to make horrid impressions, Josif simply said, "Don't worry, I'm alright," to no one in particular. "Just a... really bad nightmare."
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:31 am

For a moment, there was no reply, not even any movement, than the blanketed lump shifted as Jericho unfurled himself a little and straightened out, lifting a clawed hand to pull the blanket away from his face. The hybrid fixed the Soldier with a wary look, frowning as he looked the man up and down.
"You sure?"
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Penultimate Pi » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:09 pm

Josif stretched himself a bit and replied, "Yeah. I've learned to control myself when that happens, for the most part. And I've been having those nightmares for far longer than I'd like." He popped his spine, groaning a bit as he freed himself from the stiffness in his body. "But the worst part is, I remember the dreams. And I don't want to, not even slightly. It bring back... gruesome... memories."

No sooner had Josif said that, he began to feel sick. Horrible thoughts flooed within his mind; memories of abandoned ruins, bombed towns, wild, savavage creatures... and himself being one of them. Josif felt like he wanted to vomit. He shook himself out and looked at the chimera again. "Have you ever had something like that happen to you?"
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:24 pm

Watching the Soldier, Jericho's big ears pricked up at being asked a question, and he hummed a moment, head cocking to one side in thought before he shrugged.
"Sometimes. Forget when I wake up, usually, but I remember every once in a while."
He paused, frowning.
"I'm not always sure they're just dreams though..."
He knew he hadn't always been like this, a patchwork thing not quite animal and not quite human, but he'd forgotten almost all of who he had been. His mind protecting him, he assumed. Either way, he didn't like to dwell on it.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Penultimate Pi » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:44 pm

"I can see what you mean," Josif said. When he was still recovering from "the incident", he had more than once stumbled out of bed in a nightmare-fueled frenzy. Someone important had probably gotten hurt in that time, which could explain his re-assignment to this run-down base.

Deciding to kill some time, Josif reached for his bag and carefully pulled out a disassembled contraption. Through the tangle of wires and parts, it was difficult to discern what the item was. But Josif knew what it was, or rather, what it was supposed to be. He had worked along an Engineer-type friend in high school, and this contraption was one of the many things they both had tried to concept. After graduation, they had parted ways, with Josif heading off to the military and his friend to college. Their next meeting was their best, as it gave them both excellent ideas of how to benefit each other.

Josif pulled out a couple of tools, and was going to start tinkering with it when he glanced around the room. "Anyone else around? Or is it just us two?" asked Josif, to the chimera.

(P.S. In case you haven't noticed, this is going to be a reminiscence project. Josif's past is actually very shrouded [due to the incident I explained in my registration], and as I go along in this board I'm going to reveal a little bit of it at a time. I'll add it to Josif's base storyboard as it's revealed, eventually leading up to the horrid truth behind the incident. What do you think, is this a good or stupid idea?)
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:20 pm

{I love the idea. <3}

Jericho sat up at seeing the Soldier get something out that smelled like oil and metal and that fuzzy burnt scent of electricity, though he was too far away to really pick out any details. Still, looked interesting...
Huffing through his nose, the hybrid got to his feet and climbed up onto one of the bunks nearer to the Soldier, not caring too much that he was dragging his blanket since it mostly got caught up on his tail anyway, and hunkered down to watch, head resting on his arms.
"Mmm... Both Medics are in their rooms, Connal was cooking. The rest, I don't know."
The Pyro was really having quite an effect on the chimera, perhaps not too obvious to those who didn't hang around him much, but it was still there; Calmer, more talkative... It was almost like he was slowly becoming more human.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Penultimate Pi » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:33 pm

Josif nodded. So it was just the two of them, both fellow Soldiers, sharing a room. Josif didn't mind, of course; he was just curious as to where everyone was. He set to work on his contraption, pulling out a beaten sheet and unfurling it. It was some instructions, for how the device was to be set up. But the details were a bit difficult and shifty, and the writing and sketches were small and pretty messy, even to anyone who could read it. But that was just the root of the problem. The rest was actually getting the damned thing together.

Josif skimmed through the lines of notes, looking for where he left off... There it was. Oh right, putting all THOSE together. His soldering kit was in another bag, so he skipped to another step. Josif carefully tried to insert the metal of the wire into that hole in the casing - gah, missed... Wait, was it that one, or the other...?

"To hell with it," Josif swore after 15 minutes of arguably no progress. He just couldn't find the inspiration to work on this project. He might have to look into that R&D room, see if he could setup there... But later. Josif stared at the blueprints for a few more minutes, hands gripping his head, and still deciphering very little of what he was meant to do. This was all too messy and sketchy; he wanted order. Or perhaps he would just rewrite the notes. Either way, he could not and certainly was not going to to anything now.

Josif glanced to the left, and saw the chimera sitting stoic beside him. Did he, too, think this was all so complex and scatterbrained?
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:07 pm

The chimera cocked his head, brow furrowing as he squinted at the scribbles the Soldier seemed to be reading. Or attempting to read, if his grumbles of frustration were anything to go by.
By the time Josif turned around, Jericho had scooted a great deal closer, his poor eyesight and growing curiosity prompting him to close the gap between them so he could see what was going on, and he looked up when the contraption was set aside, stiffening slightly when he saw the Soldier looking at him. Didn't realize he'd scooted that close...
"Not working?"
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby HauntedParka » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:02 pm

(I'll just jump in, if it's no trouble.)

Slow, uneven steps accompanied by the faint hiss of leather against smooth wood punctuated the otherwise still air. The young man was excited to meet his new team, though all he could manage was an awkward, backwards limp as he struggled under the weight of his luggage.
Eyes danced lazily over the subtle patterns embedded into the ancient leather for the umpteenth time that day. The only deviation in the mundane view was when the rookie had to look behind him to figure out where he was going. Straight down. Turn left. Up the stairs. Left Again. He had arrived at the barracks. Voices buzzed behind the slightly ajar door, though he paid no mind after brushing off a vague memory about knocking on doors and something-or-other about etiquette. With a final backward glance, the door was gracelessly kicked open before the brunette shuffled into the room. The piercing creak of a loose floor-board further announced his arrival as the behemoth of a trunk was eased back until it stood on its own.
“Hey uh…I didn’t interrupt youseguys or anythin’ right?”
HauntedParka

Postby Penultimate Pi » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:29 pm

Though previously hunched over his frustrated efforts, Josif now snapped up the sudden noise of their door being kicked open. Looking over, he saw a short, yet fairly built Scout tromp into the doorway, dragging a massive trunk of luggage behind him as if it was common. After speaking an excuse, Josif noticed that the boy held a Brooklyn accent, seeming to have a typical attitude for a Scout: rebellious and stubborn. It was best not to directly judge, but Josif was upset and wanted nothing to do with impolite children.

"...just keep SOME sort of decency..." Josif mumbled halfheartedly at the boy. Josif slowly put away his contraption ("I guess you could say it's not working,"), blueprints and tools, and reached into a side pocket in the duffel bag. A small bottle emerged in his hand, its white sheen almost glowing from the protruding light of the hall. Josif spun the cap open, dropped a single pill into it, downed the pill and replaced the cap in a whole, swift moment. Hopefully that would keep him stable for a bit...
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:31 am

Jericho jerked at hearing the door open, immediately on guard and growling low in his throat. He'd been so distracted by the Soldier's contraption he hadn't heard the Scout coming up the hall, and the sudden intrusion spooked him more than he cared to admit. At least the Soldier had gotten spooked too...
Black tongue licking over sharp teeth, the hybrid hopped down from the bed, putting it between himself and the newcomer, his fur bristling and his ears pinned back as he continued to growl.
Jericho did not like being startled. Not at all.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby HauntedParka » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:40 pm

Something akin to a hiccup mixed with a yelp tore from the male’s throat. Automatically, he crouched behind the leather case. Honey eyes darkened with confusion as his, normally sure, fingers fumbled against the thin cotton at his lower back for a few seconds. Sudden realization struck the rookie. He had packed his equipment away with the rest of his things.
“Aye, woahh- Jesus, what th’ hell is that?” he squawked to the soldier calmly seated by snarling monstrosity crouched several feet away from him. The ground seemed to rumble with the creature’s growling. It had yet to move to attack Miguel, though he couldn’t exactly relax. Its face was clearly human from what he saw over the bed obscuring his view, though the rest of it appeared to be a cruel patch-work of other animals. In the back of his mind, he knew he would have no chance against the Frankenstein-esq creation.
Last edited by HauntedParka on Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HauntedParka

Postby Penultimate Pi » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:21 pm

Josif, who had been trying to suppress his frustration, noted the chimera growling at the Scout like a dog at an unwelcome feline. The Soldier slowly focused on the newcomer. "A chimera, of sorts. One of the Pyros here keeps it as a pet," Josif explained indifferently. "It's mostly doglike, and yes, it speaks English."

Josif pulled out a pocket calendar from his fatigues, and opened to the page where a pen was hung on the spine. He uncapped the pen and wrote a note for later, "Check out Weps. Dev., 2nd floor." That station would probably be a frequent for him if he wanted to get this contraption done. The sooner he could, the better for later. Josif checked on some other notes he had written in the calendar, then looked up; the chimera had stopped its threatening of the new Scout, it seemed.
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:17 pm

Jericho regarded the boy as one would a particularly annoying moth bapping into the porch light just on the other side of a screen door, mismatched eyes narrowed into slits and sharp teeth bared. Then Josif spoke up, and he rolled his eyes. Pet indeed...
He chose Connal, not the other way around.
Huffing crossly through his nose, the chimera turned his back on the Scout, flopping down and pulling his blanket over his head. The boy wasn't worth his time, and as a teammate, he wasn't allowed to squash the kid like he very much wanted to. Damn sneaky people... Almost as bad as Spies!
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby HauntedParka » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:47 pm

An audible sigh of relief left Miguel. The creature wandered off to its own devices, though uneasiness still coiled in his belly. A bit hesitant to do so at first, he stood slowly. His gaze stayed glued to the chimera until he was sure it wouldn't get up.
“S-so it…it don’t eat people, right?” he inquired more so for his own sanity. An answer wasn't really expected, as the older male was still in one piece. He managed to tug the trunk to the bed at the farthest side of the room- away from the chimera. The bottom bunk was empty. Miguel eased himself onto the bare mattress, emitting a resonant groan in the process.
He kicked off his sneakers, which were caked with dried mud from the swamp. They each landed atop the aged leather with a small ‘plap’. The springs creaked beneath the scout’s weight as he turned to face the wall. He stared blankly at the wall for a few minutes in awkward silence.
“I’m Mags by the way. I’m new. ” he paused, carefully considering his words before continuing, “Sorry ‘bout not sayin’ anythin’ sooner. I got spooked.”
HauntedParka

Postby Penultimate Pi » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:19 pm

Josif got a huff of displeasure from the chimera as it stormed off into the kennel again. He probably said something that nobody in the room liked, and he didn't really care. The act was just was just venting some form of anger, probably. Josif was still wholly upset from all the shortcomings of today, and that medication was taking a while to kick in. And in a state of frustration that he nearly stumbled into, Josif would not give a damn about whatever sputtered out of his mouth.

"..Oh, hell if I know; probably not, unless you decide to provoke him enough..." Josif ranted a bit. He glanced at the Scout, who had taken a residence in the farthest bunk, away from the chimera. So the newbie had a fear of the creature, did he? Not too surprising, considering the circumstances. "Mags? That can't be a real name..." Josif muttered under his breath. Then he sighed. The Soldier needed to get his act straight. He looked up and said firmly, "Call me Josif. Solder, arrived awhile ago. You kinda caught me at a bad time, though. I didn't mean to offend anyone." Josif could feel himself almost saying the words halfheartedly.

Josif stood up, stretching out again. Perhaps a calm stroll was what his tortured mind needed. A walk away from the troubles that ailed him...
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:09 pm

There was an indignant snort from within the kennel, half-muted by the thick blanket as Jericho turned himself around to look towards the newcomer with a sharp glare.
"Teammates not food."
One of the things that had been firmly ingrained in him through the harsh training. Of course, that didn't mean the enemy team wasn't free game...
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby HauntedParka » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:27 pm

He stilled, startled to finally hear the thing speak. “Oh.” Miguel was still curious of the creature, though he decided to pursue the topic no further. He’d have months at the least to learn more about it. Unpacking and settling down was priority. “Nah, I ain’t offended, man. My fault. You ain’t actually do nothin’ wrong.” He shrugged, still facing the wall. “Josif, huh? I knew a Josif back at home; he was a Zángano of the highest caliber I tell ya. You? Ya seem alright .” A smile tugged as his lips as nostalgia lapped at the fringe of his mind.
Miguel dug into his back pocket suddenly, withdrawing a few photos. He flipped though the glossy polaroids quickly to make sure all six of them were there. They were. He slipped the modest pile under the thin, stripped pillow under his head.
His bare feet swung back over the side of his bed, sweeping his trainers off of the trunk and onto the floor. An indifferent glance was cast at the dejected shoes before Miguel fumbled with the latches securing the luggage closed. It creaked open, revealing a myriad of compartments and pockets which were uniformly khaki and brown. He began unpacking his things onto the bed.
HauntedParka

Next

Return to Barracks