Gotta start somewhere.... [OPEN]

The kitchen and dining area's dividing line is a layer of once-white tile, now covered in grime. Here is the less than perfect kitchen, full of canned goods, counters, and the team bulletin board.

Gotta start somewhere.... [OPEN]

Postby William Akhurst » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:45 pm

He had unpacked a little back up on the second floor, clearing off dust and space to set up his cot and gear in the far corner. But in order to continue on further, he'd need at least dish towels, rags, a pail of water... This wasn't just dust they were dealing with. This was advanced dust. Stuff was everywhere and clung to everything. Now that he was traveling back downstairs, he only now noticed to the patches of gray on his uniform. Trotting down the metal stairs he patted himself off, shoulders first then stomach and pants. The first day would be the longest.

At least he found the kitchen without problems. However he stopped in the doorway, not willing to step inside. He flipped on the lights, making a face at the sudden scatter of bugs. At least 'food' wasn't in short supply. William laughed to himself as he tried to avoid stepping in whatever that green stuff all of the floor was and make his way to the sink. The power worked, albeit poorly. So the water should be just fine. A quick jerk of the knob sent a sudden pungent pour of brown water out of the faucet. The pipe shook before cleaning itself out, clear water soon washing out the sink. "Better than nothing."

He dug through the drawers, finding tattered rags and spider-covered sponges. A look around and he saw a small supply closet hiding in the corner just out of sight. William didn't waste time pandering around, grabbing a broom, a mop, a bucket--anything that could help. Gene would have a hell of a time fixing up the place. And with nothing much else to do, Will decided he'd do his part and at least clean the main areas. Kitchen first.

It wasn't too long before the Sniper had propped his hat on the counter, on his hands and knees on the grimey floor and scrubbing the piss out of it with water and old bleach. It stank to high heaven and it worked up a sweat, but at least you could slowly start seeing the white of the floor again.
Last edited by William Akhurst on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
William Akhurst

Re: Gotta start somewhere....

Postby Connal Reid » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:25 pm

((I'm just going to assume this is an open thread since nothing was specified))

Having been feeling a tad hungry, Connal had decided to dig around in the kitchen for a snack. Not like there was really much in there aside from spam, but it seemed a better idea to at least put in the effort. As he made his way, however, the strong smell of cleaning chemicals began to ruin his appetite. Curious, he continued, poking his head around the corner first before stepping into the rest of the doorway.

It was one of their Snipers. Will. Well, now he felt a tad awkward. After all, the Pyro had been around at least a week before this guy had shown up, and he hadn't done much of anything yet to make the base any nicer. "...Hey," he finally greeted. "Need a hand?"
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Tihun - BLU Heavy Hyena Bitch
Connal Reid
Colonel

Location: Just follow the sound of the music.//Somewhere, idk

Postby William Akhurst » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:05 am

By this point he had gotten a bit sick at the smell of stale chemicals, unable to decide which was worse; breathing through his mouth or nose? But he wasn't a man who couldn't get over something. And the minutes passed and he grew used to it. The only thing he ever muttered was, "I'm gunna smell loike bleach for a whoile..."

He only stopped when he heard a vaguely familiar voice. He wiped his hands on his pants before regretting it. "Piss-" That was going to stain. Ah, oh well. He'll turn these pants into spares. For now, he sat up on his heels, sitting up straight to pop his back. Crikey, he wasn't as young as he used to be. William smiled at Connal when the Pyro offered his services. "At this point, I'm tempted to 'ave you just torch the place and 'ave Engi start from scratch." This place was a mess. But it was there home for now. Better start making the best of it. "Um, but if ya really want to...." Will looked around. The floors were walkable now. Pale and yellowish white tiles but at least not as nasty like earlier. He pointed to a couple of rags resting on the edge of sink. "Care to wipe down the counters? 'Ave a feelin' the Medic will piss himself if he sees the kitchen, place where we cook and eat, lookin' loike this," he chuckled.

Medics were usually neat freaks. Came with their profession. He didn't want to hear any yelling about having his food prepared in an infested dump. Plus Will liked to have a decent place to cook as well.
William Akhurst

Postby Connal Reid » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:58 pm

"Promises, promises..." he joked. Burning down any part of this building would be a little too much to hope for. Besides, with how the humidity made everything so damp, it would take a while for it to even catch. This line of thinking was making him want to go out and try to start up a bonfire. Better switch topics.

"Well, we had that team meeting in here, and he didn't seem to pitch too much of a fit then," Connal replied. Then again, there were other things that had held Tom's attention... He shook his head, and walked over to the counter. "Yeah, I can take care of the counters." Even if the rags seemed like they should go through a trip in the washing machine before being used to clean, but it wasn't like anything short of dropping a fistful of mud on the counter would make it any dirtier. "So, uh... What made you decide to start cleanin'?" the redhead asked, rinsing one of the rags off first.
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Connal Reid
Colonel

Postby William Akhurst » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:48 am

"Close," he replied as he grabbed the counter to pull himself back up to his feet, cringing slightly at the pain in his knees. Will patted his pants off and looked over to Connal.. "We 'ad the meeting in the mess hall." He jerked his thumb to the door that separated the kitchen from there. If he thought about it, Gene was the only one that went in here, and that was to get the cake. Crikey, how did he manage not to make a face at this mess? 'How did he even cook in here?'

Will shook the thought from his mind, rubbing his nose with the back of his hand before dragging it across his forehead. Bloody Hell, this weather was going to kill him before the BLUs do. "Ah, well... Was actually just comin' down here for supplies. Ya see, I was gonna go clean my own room. But- I saw this piss-poor room and--Well, I just 'ad to do somethin'. S'oides, I'm no stranger to cleaning." The Aussie gave an easy shrug, not minding it at all. "And it beats just sittin' around waiting."

Will grabbed his hat to plop back on top of his head now that there was someone else in the room. He wasn't balding or anything, but it was a small comfort just to have close by. He walked towards the sink and Connal to rinse off his hands. "Whot about you, mate? What'cha been up to?"
William Akhurst

Postby Connal Reid » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:32 pm

"Oh. Yeah." They were pretty much the same thing as far as he was concerned, but it wasn't worth arguing over. Once the rag was soaked, he went ahead and started wiping off the loosest of the grime. Soap wasn't even needed yet. "Wait, whaddaya mean your own room?" Connal was pretty certain the only bedrooms they were allowed to use were the barracks, and none of those rooms were singles.

At Will's next question, the Pyro gave a sheepish grin. "Not a whole lot of anything, actually... I'm from further up north, so I mostly just been tryin' to get used to how hot it is down here," he explained. Sure, it could easily get just as hot back home during the summer, but at least there the nights cooled off. Here it was just constant. "I swear, durin' our first battle, I'm either gonna die a heatstroke or drown in my own sweat, wearin' that suit..."
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Connal Reid
Colonel

Postby William Akhurst » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:01 am

The Sniper silently cursed himself for speaking without thinking it through. Not that moving into the second floor was some secret... but the less everyone worried, the easier things would be. Physically however he just shrugged as he turned off the tap, patting his hands dry on his vest before grabbing the bucket. "Sorry. Meant the space I'm takin' up with everyone else. Dust and cobwebs... Enough to make a curtain 'round my bed post if ya know whot I mean." He hadn't actually taken a look at the barracks yet but if they were anything like everywhere else, it couldn't have been any more clean.

Will had to laugh a bit at the Pyro's words; their train of thought close enough for him to see a resemblance. "I know whot ya mean. I'm used to a more dry heat than this. This humidity..." He finished off that sentence with a snorting sort of noise as he poured out the dirty bleach down the sink's drain. "Luckily no one on the team 'as allergies, eh? We'd be in a world a'hurt then. ...well. I guess it all depends on 'ow good our Duckie is, yeh? Haven't really seen him in action so I don't know if he's any good healin' blokes."
William Akhurst

Postby Connal Reid » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:18 am

"Uh-huh..." He didn't quite believe him, and it showed in his voice, but he was willing to let it go. Worst case scenario, the Sniper had claimed one of the guest bedrooms, and would be punished for it whenever the higher ups found out. It didn't really bother him. What did bother him was when he moved the toaster aside to clean under it, and found something that looked like a pile of rotting food behind it. "Holy shit, I think this used to be a taco."

Connal grinned a bit at Will's understanding. Good to know he wasn't the only one who felt this way. He paused a minute when he heard "Duckie," however. Only thing that came to mind were actual ducks, and the yellow, rubber bath toys. The rest of the sentence made it make sense. The Sniper had meant their doctor, their Medic. "Where are you from, if ya don't mind sayin'?" he asked, walking over to get the trashcan. He held it up against the counter, and just used his hand to scoop the thing that might have been a taco in a past life into it.
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Connal Reid
Colonel

Postby William Akhurst » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:56 am

The Sniper couldn't stop himself from looking over, not after that exclamation. The corner of his mouth rose up in disgust, trying to picture whatever that was as a taco. It was hard to do. How on Earth get a Taco from that? But he just laughed a bit to himself, leaving Connal to take care of it. For himself, he braved grabbing a clean rag and heading to the fridge. The outside was dirty as rot, but the inside... Clean. Not that it wouldn't be. After all, the Engineer had housed food in here. Figured it'd be neat. Phew. One less thing to worry about. Did he even want to look under the sink?

"Where I'm from? Or where I just came from, mate?" he asked in response but decided to not beat around the bush. Why not just answer both and be done with it? He slapped the wrung out towel over his vest before crossing his arms. "I'm actually from the back of bourke* way out in the neva-neva*, so I doubt you'd 'ave ever heard of it even if I did tell you," he explained, letting his accent thicken so the Pyro could understand that he really wasn't lying. "Australia to put in short. Course, I know I sound a bit loike a pom* every now and then. From my Dad's soide, I suppose."

He cleared his throat, reigning in the fancy talk to something more understandable. He offered Connal a smile, wondering if the bloke even understood a word he said. "But if you're askin' about just recently..." Will seemed to give it a thought, as if debating what he wanted to reveal. "...I was picked up from Botany Bay to be shipped out 'ere. Close to city loife." He pulled the rag off of his shoulder before turning around to give the opposite side counter a quick wipe down. "How 'bout you then, mate? Care to reveal the origins of where you and that woild mane of your's come from?"

[[Australian to English Guide Book....
*Back of bourke : Middle of Nowhere
*Never-Never : Remote desert country
*Pom : Englishman
]]
William Akhurst

Postby Connal Reid » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:18 am

From the back of what in Never Never Land? Oh, Australia. Cool. He had no idea where anything was in Australia, but it's not like they had a map handy or anything. Pom?

"Me?" he asked, rinsing off what gunk was left on his and before going back to wiping the counter. He raised a hand up to rub his head when his hair was mentioned, but stopped, remembering his hands were pretty dirty right now. "I'm up from Detroit. 'S in Michigan. The hair's more a rock 'n' roll, punk kinda thing." Will being from a different country, Connal didn't really expect him to know much of anything about Detroit.
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Connal Reid
Colonel

Postby William Akhurst » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:43 pm

"Michigan? Weird name. Let me guess, though. Somewhere from the states, yeh?" He'd been partnered with a few people from that far off of the world. Many were young string-beans who didn't know when to shut up. He chuckled and wiped off an outlet, blowing the dust out of the small holes. "That you're natural hair color then?" he teased, wiping the side of his face with the back of his hand, unknowingly rubbing a streak of dark dust over his cheek. Will turned to look at the other, grin on his face. "You can tell me. I promise not to tell."
William Akhurst

Postby Connal Reid » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:49 pm

It was weird, having someone who had never heard of an entire state before. Not surprising, just... different. "Yeah," he answered. Then the Sniper chuckled. Was there something funny about it? With a blink, Connal grabbed for some of the cleaning agents, since the wet rag alone wasn't doing much anymore. Although he couldn't help but chuckle himself at the next question. The Pyro turned, giving his own lopsided grin, and answered, "It is, actually. My dad's side of the family's Irish."
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Connal Reid
Colonel

Re: Gotta start somewhere.... [OPEN]

Postby William Akhurst » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:18 pm

He let himself laugh when Connal returned a smile to him. Eugene had been a friendly bloke and now Connal. Seems like their team was shaping up just nicely with a bunch of humor-enjoying people. Will wondered if he'd meet the others like this before battle.

"Irish-American, hm?" Will gave that a second's thought before tossing his dirt-covered rag back into the sink. "Does that mean you enjoy a bit of drink in your downtime?" William was settling back against the counter, silently wondering if he just found a drinking buddy.
William Akhurst

Postby Connal Reid » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:05 pm

Ah, yes, everyone's favorite question. Well, almost. They usually asked how much he could drink, rather than if he did or not. "Course, who doesn't?" he answered, honestly enough. "I mean, I can't knock 'em back like Arseni, but yeah, once in a while's great." Connal noticed he was wrong about the color of the counters. He thought they would be a pale yellow, but the spot he was working at was fading further and further to white. Could that be nicotine stains? Just how much did the last RED team smoke?
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Connal Reid
Colonel

Postby William Akhurst » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:35 pm

"Arseni, eh? Which one was he again? The Spook?" he asked, cocking a brow as he tried to tag a name with a face. "You're tellin' me that bloke can drink you under the table?" His imagination must be running away from him because imagining a small bloke out-doing big ole' Pyro here.... Oh, Will was going to have a jump in on this. "Well then. You guys ever stop to take a drink again, be sure to let me know, yeh?"

As far as Snipers go, Will hardly acted like the recluse everyone made them out to be. He wanted to be there, surrounded by people.

Only his boots made a sound as he walked over to peer over the hard worker, catching a look of that true color of the counter. He whistled lowly before patting the guy on the shoulder. "Good job, mate. White counters. We actually 'ave a whoite kitchen." Looking around, that was hardly believable. Shit, they should get the whole team in on this if they ever wanted it sparkling clean. Will went to the sink to wash off the rag he threw, dipping it into chemicals. "So. Not to jump the gun or nuthin' but--For the sake of never 'aving this conversation again, 'ow good of a fighter are ya?"
William Akhurst

Postby Connal Reid » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:12 pm

"No, he's a Demoman," Connal explained. Damn, his arm was really starting to get tired. "He wasn't at the meeting. But yeah, he said he was gonna teach me a drinking game called Bear Paw. When we do that, I'll make sure t' let ya know."

"Right?" the Pyro replied, setting the rag down a moment and rotating his arm at the shoulder, trying to relieve some of the tension. "I mean, I know it's been a while since there was anyone livin' here, but those last guys musta been real big pigs." He tried not to sigh at the next question. Talking about how good he thought he was never came easy. "Not too bad, I guess. I mean, I had to fight off a lot growin' up, both in and outta school. Lived in a bad part a town. Gangs and the like. I'd like to say I turned out alright, but heck, I'm now bein' paid to set people on fire. Not exactly something you can g'home and brag to the family about, y'know?" Wait. He might have gone a bit off topic. "I guess I'm not too bad at takin' a bullet, either."
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Connal Reid
Colonel

Postby William Akhurst » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:36 am

Arseni. Demoman. Must remember that. He'll need a face sooner or later to memorize that information. With the way Pyro spoke, he might indeed get to meet the man sometime later. Score two for drinking buddies. Will grinned to himself.

His grin slackened a bit, showing a bit of sympathy. "Didn't mean to dreg up any bad thoughts, mate. Just a question. Gotta foight with ya and this team. Only makes sense I know whot you are good at. I wanna do a good job 'aving your back out there, yeh?" Will was very good at his supporting role on a team. He just hoped this ungodly fog would clear up before the battle would start. As of now, he wouldn't be able to tell RED from BLU even with his scope.

"Heh. You're family know whot you do for a livin'?"
he asked before really thinking about it.
William Akhurst

Postby Connal Reid » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:22 pm

"Don't worry about it," Connal replied, with a shrug. There were really only a small handful of things about his life that upset him; the rest he considered just stuff that happened. You either dealt with it or you went mad. Or both, in his case. No sane person would want to do the kinds of things he did with a lighter.

At the next question, the Pyro gave a nervous sort of chuckle. "Well... Not exactly. I wrote a letter sayin' I got a job, and that it was far south and I probably wouldn't be able to get in contact, much." Probably not very fair to his dad, but better him think he was fine and just busy than knowing he lost two sons to violence like this. Funny how much he hated gangs, and yet RED was pretty easily compared to one; just on a larger scale.
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Connal Reid
Colonel

Postby William Akhurst » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:19 pm

Will began helping with the counters, starting off in the corners by dusty appliances as he listened. He hummed in acknowledgment, nodding his head. "Probably for the best. Moight do everyone well if they didn't worry their folks with all this war business." He let the topic drop into silence, unsure how far he could press before the other would clam up. He just met the bloke and things were going smoothly. Best not rock the boat so soon.
William Akhurst

Postby Connal Reid » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:09 pm

"What about your family?" Connal asked, grabbing his rag with his left arm, now. The right needed a break. He hadn't really meant anything by it, just figured he should carry on the conversation. Silence was alright, but people liked talking, right? Perhaps the two of them should take a break, soon... At least Will, since he had no idea how much longer the Sniper had been working.
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Connal Reid
Colonel

Next

Return to Kitchen