Back to Life (OPEN)

The first floor of RED base is where all the action happens, from sparring to medical mishaps to general cooking hi-jinks, this is where it happens.

Back to Life (OPEN)

Postby Tentacles » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:04 pm

(intending to take place several hours after the events of The Burning, the Burning!)

The cranky Respawn machine finally sparked to life, at last materializing the sickened Pyro. He fell to the floor, still shuddering and gasping for breath. Air, Jesus, he needed air...he yanked off his mask, panting, eyes still wide with shock. His own toxic secretions dripped off of him like sweat, spurred on by the stressful situation.

James tried to stand again, and found himself slipping back to the floor. Letting out a frustrated groan, he forced himself to his feet, and found the world spinning. Leaning against the wall, he felt like he was floating, nauseated...

The salamander immediately and violently released his stomach contents onto the linoleum. He crashed back down to the floor, unable to move. He wasn't sick anymore, but he didn't seem to come back from Respawn whole, or healthy. "Someone...please..."
Tentacles
Colonel

Location: Falling apart // Creeping around // BLU base // Trying not to get shot in the head

Re: Back to Life (OPEN)

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:09 pm

A capsule far beneath the base hummed and clicked, a mechanical voice counting down before it popped open, allowing a familiar form to tumble out and collapse upon the tiled floor.
Jericho coughed, shivering all over and feeling something awful caught up in the back of his throat. He managed to heave himself up onto all fours, stumbling a few steps before collapsing onto his front.
"C-Connal..."

He heard someone being sick not too far away, and his nose wrinkled at the acrid, stinging smell of stomach acid and partially digested food, but he couldn't bring himself to do more than whine, flopped limply across the tile floor, his wings splayed haphazardly across his back and his ears drooping so far they almost touched the floor.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Tentacles » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:22 pm

"Jericho?" the Pyro looked up, seeing the hybrid monster's splayed form on the floor. Not a whole fucking lot he could do for the poor thing, barely able to stand himself. He crawled over, his head ringing for his trouble.

"Hey patches..." he groaned, smiling weakly. "Josif get you too?" he coughed, reaching for the guard dog.
Tentacles
Colonel

Location: Falling apart // Creeping around // BLU base // Trying not to get shot in the head

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:31 pm

The chimera whimpered softly, sounding very much like a hurt pup as he blinked dazedly and tried to focus, his vision blurring in and out in his efforts to find the source of the voice. It wasn't Connal, but it was a friend, and he desperately needed a friend right now...
Jericho heard the soft squeak of rubber on rubber, and his ears tried to perk up as he looked up towards the person sort of beside and a little above him. He swallowed a whine, shuffling up onto his elbows and dragging himself over to that person whose name he simply could not remember right now, butting his head against that offered palm before he slumped limply to the floor once more.
"...whurz Connal...?"
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Tentacles » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:39 pm

He obliged the poor hybrid, scratching the tuft of hair between the monster's horns, thin little fingers digging in through the rubber glove. "I don't know...(oh god that hurts)...but we're still in the RED base. He'll find us."

The Pyro closed his eyes, praying that it was Connal that found them, or fuck, even Rufus, rather then that Soldier. Respawn was working, thank God, but the prospect of being killed over and over by that maniac was... less then pleasant.

"He'll find us. You'll see."
Tentacles
Colonel

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:03 am

Jericho whined, huffing sharply out his nose before he began to struggle upright, his wings fluttering in a useless attempt to help him balance as he rose. He understood now that it was not his Master who had been killed, thank all good things, but that meant Connal was still out there with that crazy Soldier.
And he was not going to fail his Master, not again.
His limbs quivered under him, struggling to hold him up like a newborn kitten attempting to walk for the first time, and he barely made half a step before he collapsed again, hitting the floor with a heavy THUD.
The chimera yelped, both startled and hurt by the fall, and he whimpered, a desperate sort of frustration pressing upon his innards, forcing a painful pressure upon his eyes and heart. He couldn't even walk, let along help his Master, protect the silly Pyro who had shown him such kindness...
"...bad dog..."
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Penultimate Pi » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:37 am

As Josif rematerialized, so did his memories. The recollections of that horrible, mindless battle, and the crushing despair of losing what may have been one of his best friends all hit him like a train. Collapsing on the tiled floor, drowning the rush of his own emotions, Josif lay motionless. He was alive, the demon wasn't, and that's all that should've mattered. But to the Soldier, it just one problem atop many more in his life. Josif nearly sobbed, tears trickling down his new face.

I have to pull myself together. I need to tell them I was wrong. But maybe then, they still won't trust me...

Pushing himself up to a sitting position on the wall, Josif looked at the other two with watery eyes.

"I-...I-I'm sorry, everyone. I was... a damn fool," Josif sniffed, wiping the tears on cheeks. "What I did was... was..." Josif felt sick to even be near Jericho and James, after the madness they'd all suffered. "...inexcusable, inhuman, utterly mad..." Josif choked out. "And...and..."

The once-strong Soldier buried himself in his arms, curling up. "I-I can't do this..."
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Connal Reid » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:50 am

It was late. Connal had been in and out of the Respawn room sporadically since the incident in the swamp, and each time left feeling more and more sick. He had lost his best friend. Let a teammate, another Pyro, die without doing a thing to help. Tortured and killed a man that was clearly sick in the head, and a RED at that. It made him worry about the future, too. Would he be fired? Maybe not, this didn't seem like the company to just let people go. Arrested, then? No... No, he'd probably just end up as another corpse in the swamp. Not a particularly happy thought on its own, but combined with the pain of treachery and loss...

So he kept checking the Respawn room, hoping against hope that someone would eventually turn up. He had abandoned the suit, walking around in nothing but a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt, and never bothered fixing his hair up. For once, he was thankful of how hard it was to bump into someone in the halls. There was a lot to explain that he just didn't want to deal with, not until he absolutely had to.

To say that he was shocked when he opened the door this time would be an understatement. Connal stood there for what had to have been a full ten seconds before shouting out, "Holy fucking shit!" With a grin that threatened to split his cheeks wide open, the Pyro jumped to the ground, pulling Jericho into a hug. He recognized the suit on the other, and even though he was surprised the face under that mask wasn't human, at the moment, he didn't care. He just reached out with his other hand, and patted the other Pyro on the back. "You guys have got no damn idea how happy I am to see you!" Then he heard something, some sort of shift of clothing, and looked over. It was Josif, but having all of them back, all three of them, seemed to cancel out any and all of the anger he had held before. Except now he had no idea what to do.
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Tihun - BLU Heavy Hyena Bitch
Connal Reid
Colonel

Location: Just follow the sound of the music.//Somewhere, idk

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:59 am

If the Soldier hadn't spoken, the chimera wouldn't have even noticed the man's return to the living, too caught up in his thoughts.
He'd never had a Master like Connal before, no one had ever been so nice, no one had ever treated him like a friend, like he was something more than a monster.
Would he be mad? Would he yell at him, tell him he should have done better? Or would something worse happen? Could there be something worse...?

Josif's voice snapped him out of his reverie as assuredly as a gunshot, and the hybrid reacted entirely on instinct, whipping around to face the infantryman, his claws scrabbling on the linoleum tile as he hissed, a sound weirdly between a large domestic cat and an equally large poisonous snake as he bared his teeth and swung his heavy tail around to protect himself.
He paid no mind to the fact that the Soldier seemed repentant for his actions, the way the man stuttered and wept.
In his mind, Josif was dangerous, a big nasty threat that needed to be dealt with or avoided at all costs, and he wasn't in the condition to deal with the problem right at the moment, so he needed to make sure the infantryman wouldn't even try approaching either him or James.

But then there was a voice, a familiar voice he had wanted so desperately to hear, and he was being hugged-!
Jericho went from hissing to voicing a startled sort of 'aroo?', not really sure what had happened for a few seconds before his nostrils flared and he got a good, healthy inhale of that scent he'd become quite well acquainted with in the past months, and he couldn't help himself.
Wriggling all over, just like an over happy dog, the chimera barked and grabbed on tight to his beloved Master, his tailtip wagging as fast as it could as he buried his head against the Pyro's chest, no longer caring about the crazy Soldier or the fact that he'd died because he had his Master back.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Tentacles » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:08 am

The slippery Pyro was ready to run, run at the sight of Josif, but he was...almost disappointed that the man collapsed, sobbing. The fuck how do you go from full crazy to sorry ass begging-for-forgiveness? He almost pitied him it was so pathetic.

Before he could react however, Connal arrived.

Horrified, he tried to scramble for his mask, but found his back being patted...this guy did not give a fuck apparently that his teammate was a freak of nature. Considering current company, maybe he shouldn't have been so surprised. The pounding brought a fresh mouthful of bile to his lips, but fortunately he had enough control to suck it back down.

"Yeah...you've got no fucking idea how happy I am to see you, chucklehead..." he smiled back weakly, standing shakily. Some of his strength was finally coming back.

"Come on, let's leave Sargent fucknuts to his crying fit. Before he gets up and kills us. Again."
Tentacles
Colonel

Postby Penultimate Pi » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:10 am

Josif looked up at the outburst, seeing a highly ecstatic Connal rejoicing with Jericho. Josif sighed and uncurled himself. When Connal looked over, Josif just looked back for awhile waiting for the Pyro to make a first move. When he didn't, Josif said, "It doesn't look like you're mad anymore."

Groaning from stiffness, Josif stood up. "I'm sorry. Truly, honestly sorry. For me to go insane was a horrible show of control, and it's probably going to get me kicked out faster than..." Josif dragged off, no joking tone coming to mind. And indeed, this was no joking matter. "I want to explain. Everything. I need to get this out of my system before it tries to kill everyone again."

Josif, of course, was referring to the almost-demonic identity he had amassed in his mind during the incident. It had been there before, and nobody beyond Josif himself really knew about it. But if they did know, not just about the alter-ego but the whole payload incident, then perhaps Josif could be free of that pressure. Permanently, he did not know.

Josif liked his sanity, and would do anything to keep it. And if his friends knew, then hopefully they would do the same.
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Connal Reid » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:36 am

Connal continued to hug Jericho, just glad the chimera was alive. James pulled his attention away from Josif for the moment, and he gave the other Pyro a grin. "You don't look so hot." Then again, he didn't exactly have much of a reference to what the hybrid looked like when he was feeling just fine. "Should I get a doc?"

Then Josif started talking. After that first comment, Connal bit his lip, holding back a laugh. No, he was definitely not mad anymore. When the Soldier continued, it just got harder and harder, until he had a hand over his own face, barely stifling chuckles. "Oh, oh shit, I'm sorry," he began, still fighting the laughter. This was supposed to be serious, not silly. "Sorry, it's just... That first thing, about me being mad, and..." He stopped, taking a moment to try and calm himself down. Then, he moved his hand so he could look the shaken man in the eyes. "Dude, I fuckin' shot you five times before throwing you as far as I could an' then set you on fire, an' it's been hours and hours since then, an'... Nah, I ain't mad. But that thing about goin' insane being, what was it? 'A horrible show of control?' Hah, that's like, the complete opposite! Sorry, sorry."

He took a deep breath, and shook his head, trying to clear out the last of the silliness. "I know, this is a big deal kinda thing, an' I shouldn't laugh. But hey, I got an idea. What if we do a big team meeting thing? We had one a long time ago, but it's like we got a completely different team now so we should probably have another one anyway." Really, Connal just didn't have it in him to still be upset. Jericho was alive, the other Pyro was alive (and pretty cool looking), Josif was alive and was sorry... and really, he had made sure the man had paid for what he'd done. He had spent most of his time worried and scared, not angry.
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Connal Reid
Colonel

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:43 am

Jericho wasn't nearly so forgiving, the reminder of the Soldier's presence causing the chimera to go from happy puppy to defensive (and seriously PISSED) guard dog in a split second, practically climbing on top of Connal in his efforts to put as much of himself between the Pyro and the Soldier, his ears pinned back and his mouth open in an angry hiss that showed every single sharp tooth in his head.
One step closer, and screw his weak legs, he was going to have that goddamn infantryman's guts for dinner, whether Connal approved or not.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Tentacles » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:48 am

Should I get a doc? Christ that was a good one. Rufus wouldn't be happy to see him again, and if he could avoid it....

The salamander was in disbelief at Connal's laughter, his acceptance. That fucker had SHOT HIM IN THE HEAD. And killed Jericho apparently. How was this...ugh it was like the fucking Halloween party all over again. He was silently impressed at the other Pyro's admission, secretly grinning at the idea of setting Josif on fire. Just a pity he couldn't do it himself.

Still...

James stayed silent, clacking his jaws together nosily when Connal suggested the meeting. "Yes. I think we need to...discuss a few things, clearly..." he stumbled backwards, keeping his black, dead eyes trained on Josif. Even with Connal's easy going attitude keeping him from locking the Soldier in the furnace, it was going to take a lot of time before the slippery Pyro would have anything beyond tolerance for that fucking maniac.
Tentacles
Colonel

Postby Penultimate Pi » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:07 am

"I guess I'm not convinced."

Josif was now being a lot more serious. It was plainly clear that even if Connal trusted him (somewhat), the others didn't. And with good reason too, as nobody would be all kind and dandy to anyone who had just killed them. Josif wanted to make sure that those two could at least not try to kill him before any of them stepped out of Respawn.

"I can understand that you two are still mad, but it's a long story. Once I tell you the whole thing, I can only hope that you'll understand what I've been through. Because being that madman that I was caused the most pain for me."

Josif sighed audibly. "I shit you not, seeing myself turn into the blood-hungry Soldier that you saw is not not something I want to relive. It was bad enough the first time, but this is even worse."

The Soldier added decisively, "Look, the point I'm trying to make is, just trust me. For a little bit. I don't really care how vengeful you are, but if I have to fight you again I will go even MORE insane." Josif took a deep breath, and added more calmly, "And I want you all to listen to me. I have a story to tell, and-"

"...No, actually, I'm just rambling right now. I'll just go on and tell you why I went so crazy." Josif decided, looking around at everyone. "That sound okay?"
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Connal Reid » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:18 am

"He-hey!" Connal stuttered, being knocked over by a none-too-pleased chimera (and consequently missed what James had said). "Down, boy! Heel! Oh, at least lemme get up!" He had never seen Jericho that wound up, and didn't know how to get him to calm back down. After he managed to get an arm underneath him so he could sit, he caught the last bit of what Josif was saying. "If you wanna say it now, go ahead, but you could always say it at the meeting, too? Or both? I dunno." Mostly, he was just glad to have his best bud back, and tried to show it by gently scratching between Jericho's wings.
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Connal Reid
Colonel

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:42 am

Ooooh~ Connal always did know the best scratchy spots... No no! Focus! Pay attention! Bad man!
The hybrid swallowed, licking his dry lips, though he stopped hissing and settled on a furious glare to keep the Soldier in line.
He didn't care about any kind of story or past or anything that could be used as an excuse, Josif had attacked and hurt his Master, killed his friend, and then killed himself.
It was going to take a great deal more than an apology and a bit of backstory for the chimera to forgive the infantryman, and the easy sort of camaraderie that had shared was not something likely to be rejuvenated, not unless there was some kind of miracle.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Penultimate Pi » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:35 pm

Considering Connal's words, Josif opened his mouth to respond, then stopped. Tried again, and again stopped. Finally, Josif threw his hands up in defeat, saying, "Whatever, I think I'll just say it at the meeting. These two aren't giving a damn about what I have to say." Josif headed to the exit begrudgingly.

"Oh, and Connal? Why don't you tell them that my child died? Jericho and James will probably listen to you, at least," Josif concluded before finally tromping out the door angrily, heading off elsewhere to recuperate.

{Plot continued in the RED meeting.}
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Return to First Floor