Building Confidence

Any and all art, story, or otherwise relevant to the roleplay or TF2 in general. This can include screenshots.

Building Confidence

Postby SGT Sykes Abernathy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:02 am

[It's in the middle of the night. The swamp is filled with croaking and creaking of wildlife. Inside a base, it's all dark. Not a flicker of light in sight.
Yet there's breathing deep within. A large room where heavy equipment was strewn about.
Only one man remained behind. One man who knew little sleep.]

Just once more. One more. You can do it. Almost there.

'I bet he's hiding a tail in his pants.'

It's easy. You've been doing it all day. One more won't hurt you.

'Think he'll go fetch a branch if I throw it?'

It'll make you stronger. Better. No one but you can do this.

'Who takes orders from a dog? Isn't it the other way around?'

Muscles ached far worse than during any kind of ceasefire. Beads of sweat dripped to the floor before a body collapsed, dead tired, onto the mat. Blood seemed to rush everywhere else except to his arms; their soreness apparent when he tried to push himself back up. It ended quickly, not even able to pull his elbow into position underneath him.

In the darkness he panted quietly, deep breathes echoing in the room and only the scent of shame and failure lingered. Slowly he let himself lie on the side of his face, staring at the far wall. He couldn't curl up into ball-wouldn't let himself despite wanting to. He was a Soldier. A proud American hero. A man who laughed in the face of war. So why was it he wasn't laughing now? At such small insults that seemed to pierce his pride more than bullets. He was better than them. All of them. He could beat each and everyone of them into a pulp. But their snickers and behind-his-back laughs still rang in his newly shaped ears.

His fingers curled into his palm, claws he never had before sinking into the fur and flesh. How many more days did he have to live with the mockery? Weeks? Months? It was just a pain to pull himself from his bunk in the mornings. He once prided himself at being the first awake to sound the trumpet. Now he was lucky if he even made it downstairs for breakfast.

Alone and on the floor, Sykes allowed himself a small clenched sigh of grief.

'You need to calm your thoughts.'

He wallowed in his self-pity, blinking away the sting behind his eyes as he shut them.

'You are different now. So vhat? You can still valk. Talk. Shout. Fire a veapon.'

His ears shifted slightly. His memories playing back as if he could hear them now.

'Your appearance doesn't change anyzink.'

"Yes it does," he replied to himself, eyes lowing and looking away.

'You are ze vorst Soldier I 'ave seen. Vhat Soldier quits in zhe face of obstacles?'

A rolling growl of an exhale escaped him as he huffed. He didn't expect the voice to understand. But it did. It lived it's life despite the hand it was dealt. Sykes rolled over, eyes narrowing up at the black ceiling. "...m'not quiting...."

'It certainly sounds like it. Vhining and vhimpering, making a mess on zhe floor viz your tears. Should I rub your back and read you a bedtime story?'

The growl deepened this time, lifting his chest as the sound vibrated through his vocal chords. The memories stirred up his anger at such insults. No pity in his words. Just disappointment in that patronizing tone of his... "I'm not a child."

'Zhen stop acting like vone. If you vant to make zhem stop making fun of you, prove to zhem zhere is nozzing to make fun of. Fur or no fur. You are a Soldier.'

It was odd. Just that last part filled his body with a shudder. He was a Soldier. He was, wasn't he? That's what he was. A Soldier. He whipped men into shape, put fear into their hearts yet pride in their bellies. He shoveled down insults at them to make them stronger, to help them build character. He wasn't a monster. He was a man. Fur or no fur, he'd make them wish they were back home with their mommies with the training he'd put them through. "I'm a Soldier."

His words echoed back to him and it made his ears raise. His body followed suit albeit a bit slower in his strain. He felt better. A lot better. They could say whatever they wanted to him but he was better than them, inside and out. He'd teach them for mumbling insults at his back. Forget what time it was. War waited for no one and it was never too early for training. As he got to his feet, Sykes stumbled in his stance before padding barefoot out of the room, already yelling for the base to wake up. He'd have to thank the owner of that voice later. ...perhaps let the man do a round of tens instead of twenties like the others.

((This is what happens when I'm bored and haven't slept for 19 hours. Random drama ending with lulz BS. XD ))
SGT Sykes Abernathy

Re: Building Confidence

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:47 am

This is really neat and shows a lot of Sykes' character in a very short span of time, showing that he is still human, but he's also stubborn and all about kicking ass and taking names.
Most awesome.
I also got a bit of a grin reading that inner voice talking to him. Was there a reason it had an accent?
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby SGT Sykes Abernathy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:30 am

Aw, you're sweet. This was just a simple drabble born from boredom. :3
But knowing you read it and saw that makes me happy.

As for the accent, I know it's not perfect but....
Well, I think you and I know that there is only one person in BLU base that makes
Sykes rethink his steps. ;]
SGT Sykes Abernathy

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:12 pm

X3c
Hahaha~
That's brilliantly hilarious and awesome.

And if you want a few pointers accent wise:
th = z or zh
w = v
v sometimes f (end of words, really thick accent)
yes, yeah = ja
no = nein
very = sehr
good = gute
God = Gott
Heaven = Himmel
Hell = Holle (o is umlauted)

Common phrases, word pronunciations. :)
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby SGT Sykes Abernathy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:10 pm

Thanks very muchos!
If I ever write anymore fics, I'll be sure to use this as reference.
>:]
SGT Sykes Abernathy

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:43 pm

^^
Happy to help!
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Return to Arts