Competitions? (Poll)

Where we go to introduce ourselves, post memes, other things of the relatively same nature. Discuss whatever here.

Should we start design competitions?

Yeah! This sounds like a neat idea for making the site our own.
33%
I dunno, it sounds neat, but we're pretty small. It might not be worth the trouble.
67%
No thank you, I like the site the way it is.
No votes

Total votes : 6

Competitions? (Poll)

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:03 am

So, I was tooling around recently thinking of making a banner for the site (even though I don't yet know how to put on a banner), and then I got to thinking; What if nobody likes it? What if it comes across really stupid or doesn't fit properly and something glitches or-
You get the idea.

Anyway, what I ended up coming to consider was the idea of having a small competition here on the site, amongst ourselves, for creating site related materials.
Henry has already started making plans for material items, like shirts and plushies and stuff, but we currently have no designs for them, and the site itself is still a plain standard coloration without anything really our own in its appearance. And then we have all of the maps and things to figure out where everything is in, not just the bases, but in their surrounding area and including the nearby town.
I was also thinking of making ourselves a TF2 map to play in, since the one we have currently is a bit... Dumb.

What I'm proposing is that we A) Figure out everything that we need/want to get designed and B) Hold a competition to see what everyone may come up with. Drawings won't be required for things like the maps, since there are tools that can be used to get the actual idea across, and you can work together to get down ideas as well.

What I want to know is if everybody would like to try this and see how it goes, or leave well enough alone and just go back to doing admin stuff. Also, I want to know what people would like for prizes (if we want them), as well as any other thoughts for things to design.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Re: Competitions? (Poll)

Postby Connal Reid » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:25 pm

With as small as our group is, I don't really see the need to turn things into a competition and try to wrack out brains over what in the hell kinds of prizes to hand out. Why can't we do all of this, but in the way we've done most everything so far; as in, one big collaboration between all of us? I know more than one of us can model, more than one of us can draw, and there sure is hell more than one of us that can write. We could just all work together making things we all enjoy just for the sake of having them (and possibly to add to our portfolios, or in the map's case, the Steam Workshop).

Actually now that I mention the Workshop, and I know this is a bit of a tangent, but wouldn't it be neat if one of us could submit a metal leg for Engie styled like one of Henry's? Just sayin'.
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Tihun - BLU Heavy Hyena Bitch
Connal Reid
Colonel

Location: Just follow the sound of the music.//Somewhere, idk

Postby Puffin » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:52 pm

Connal Reid wrote:With as small as our group is, I don't really see the need to turn things into a competition and try to wrack out brains over what in the hell kinds of prizes to hand out. Why can't we do all of this, but in the way we've done most everything so far; as in, one big collaboration between all of us? I know more than one of us can model, more than one of us can draw, and there sure is hell more than one of us that can write. We could just all work together making things we all enjoy just for the sake of having them (and possibly to add to our portfolios, or in the map's case, the Steam Workshop).

Actually now that I mention the Workshop, and I know this is a bit of a tangent, but wouldn't it be neat if one of us could submit a metal leg for Engie styled like one of Henry's? Just sayin'.

Gonna have to agree with Minty, here. Though you do know I'm here to help work on banners and design and such.
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:26 am

Mmm, wasn't thinking about that...
And to be completely honest, prizes were just an idea, I was kind of thinking that would be up for consideration whether or not we wanted to have them (since I already have ideas for prizes).

Still, some friendly competition could help bring an extra bit of activity to the site, something with a tangible deadline and a clear goal that everyone could work towards, and rather than the Admins deciding, it would be the group as a whole providing votes of the various topics and stuff to see what would 'make the grade' as it were.

Oh! Something else I wanted to ask about; Secret Santa, anyone?
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Henry Adams » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:59 pm

Connal Reid wrote:Actually now that I mention the Workshop, and I know this is a bit of a tangent, but wouldn't it be neat if one of us could submit a metal leg for Engie styled like one of Henry's? Just sayin'.

What is this and how do I do it?

Tell me.

TELL ME NOW.
Henry Adams

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:40 pm

Henry Adams wrote:
Connal Reid wrote:Actually now that I mention the Workshop, and I know this is a bit of a tangent, but wouldn't it be neat if one of us could submit a metal leg for Engie styled like one of Henry's? Just sayin'.

What is this and how do I do it?

Tell me.

TELL ME NOW.

Steam Account, 3D Model, Steam Workshop.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Return to General Chat