Seeing Eye Salamander (Niklas, open) (BACK DATED)

Where everyone arrives. Arrival is not team-separate, and we trust you'll be able to figure out which you're on. We send supplies plus purchases every month, on the first. The original dock was destroyed, and the current one is still only half-finished, so you're dropped off a bit of a ways up the bank where its safer to land. Just don't get lost.
The team Warehouses also stand out near here, or at least used to. RED's is the only one still standing, while BLUs seems to have been burned to the ground. Or maybe exploded. Or both.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwVBdWWdTX0&feature=related

Postby Tentacles » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:04 pm

The Medic's sudden lapse into uncertainty wasn't lost on the Pyro. Shit, had he said the wrong thing again? James opened his mouth to try and encourage the Medic - of course you'll see again - but a fat lot that meant coming out of his mouth. He had no idea what it was to be blind.

The water was disturbed some, and Niklas would feel the dock creak as the salamander pulled himself up onto it. "He'd be easy enough to find, they always haunt the same places. I could always find the same one for you."
Tentacles
Colonel

Location: Falling apart // Creeping around // BLU base // Trying not to get shot in the head

Re: Seeing Eye Salamander (Niklas, open) (BACK DATED)

Postby Puffin » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:15 pm

"Really? They don't move around too much?" He stopped petting the turtle, who was none too fond of the whole ordeal and had pulled itself into its shell in protest. It made sense, he supposed. This was where they belonged, after all. His expression had begun to slip again at this train of thought until James had made his suggestion. The salamander was rewarded with a small, but entirely genuine, smile. That would be nice.

Niklas laid his hand in his lap, unconsciously moving over a bit as he felt the pyro climb up next to him. "How far out have you gone, exactly?"
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

i'm kind of ashamed i know this from firsthand experience

Postby Tentacles » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:56 am

"Yeah, they find a safe spot that's sunny and they keep coming back to it. I don't think they have a lot of natural predators so they can just do whatever. Sometimes the big ones go right back to the same rock or branch or whatever every single day." what the balls was bothering the Medic? Besides the whole being blind for an undetermined period of time. Maybe he could pelt Kurt with turtles until he fixed respawn. Oo, good idea. Save that one for later.

"What, out in the swamp? Not that far..." the salamander shrugged. "Its too easy to get lost around here, its like the goddamn twilight zone. Once I was out for almost three days...that was not fun." he snapped his jaw at the memory. "It would be easier to explore this place if we had a boat or something, but we should probably fix this goddamn dock first. Its all a whole lot of the same though, lots and lots of water and shit."
Tentacles
Colonel

Location: Falling apart // Creeping around // BLU base // Trying not to get shot in the head

you know about turtles or what?

Postby Puffin » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:42 pm

Niklas shrugged. "Another thing to be added to the list, I guess. But I think we can agree respawn takes precedence. Building a dock is probably child's play for our Engineers." Especially Henry. It probably wouldn't take more than an afternoon of planning and a day or two of building, especially if they got people to work together.

"But I had no idea it was still convoluted," he said, adjusting his hand as the turtle tentatively poked its limbs out of its shell. He was quiet for a while, listening to the sounds of the swamp and feeling the small reptile move around in his palm. But eventually he broke the silence, turning towards the salamander almost suddenly.

"This is kind of a strange question, but do you ever get the urge to leave? To just take your chances and just swim or run as far away as possible?" Another pause. "Stop me if I'm being too weird."
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

i'm a grown ass adult and i like to catch them

Postby Tentacles » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:51 pm

It was probably a good thing Niklas couldn't see how surprised he was. It scared him a little too, just the notion of what the Medic was suggesting. "You mean, deserting? Do you know what RED does to deserters?" he punctuated the question with a very slight squeak. "Supposing you did get away, if you pissed off the wrong folks on your way out, they'd find you. That's what they told me, anyway..."

"But for me....I never really thought about doin' it. Never got the urge, no. I guess our circumstances are...uh...different." the salamander wasn't quite sure how to put it. "Sure, I could probably escape, and assuming RED didn't care to track me down and bury me in cement, there is literally nothin' waitin' for me on the outside. The only things I'm good at is burning shit and killing shit. Last I checked there aren't too many openings for that kind of thing. And even if there was...seriously Niklas I don't exactly blend in with a fucking crowd lately (GRONK)."

"What's brought all this on then anyway? You miss somebody in the real world?"
Tentacles
Colonel

but that's not shameful idk turtles are nice

Postby Puffin » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:34 am

"I know, I know," he said in regards to the comment about 'fitting in'. That was the major difference between them. James would likely be stuck with RED for a long time, while Niklas had the ability to walk free once his contract was up. "It's just..."

He sighed. How to phrase this? "I don't know if this is because of the blindness itself, or if it was just made worse as a result of it. Either way, lately I've just felt trapped. I'm quite literally trapped at the base, yes, but when combined with the fact that I can't see at all, everything just feels... what's the word?" He mentally searched his vocabulary for a minute. "Closed in. Claustrophobic. Like I'm in a box and I need to run away or escape and just get out. It's been happening more often lately, especially since I'm never entirely sure what time of day it is."

The doctor laid back flat on his back, placing the turtle on his chest to give it some free reign. His disability made escape attempts impossible, especially since it would likely end with him running headfirst into a tree. "There's a lot of things I miss. I miss the real world. I miss everyday, mundane shit, the kind normal people do. I miss being able to go out and go where I want. I miss being able to stay in contact with people easily. I miss real food. I miss Sweden. But most of all?" He gave a resigned sigh. "I miss my family."
Puffin
Site Admin

I LIKE TURTLES

Postby Tentacles » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:02 am

So this was what happened when you don't let mercenaries fight. James had his tail in his lap now, idly twisting the tip around his fingers as he listened to Niklas' grievances. "You've got people on the outside?" it was a weird concept to the salamander - obviously there were people at RED who had families they were sending their checks back to, but the topic was rarely brought up.
Tentacles
Colonel

Postby Puffin » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:28 pm

Niklas nodded. In a similar vein, it wasn't entirely a foreign concept that a mercenary wouldn't have people in the outside world. In fact, situations like his were seemingly a minority, with a good portion of his teammates coming from some pretty unsavory situations. He had always felt it a little unfair, but right now he wasn't sure if having outside friends or family made the situation better or worse.

"I've always been close with my brother and sister, so there's them. And by extension my in-laws, and my nieces. But most of all?" He exhaled audibly. "I've got three boys at home. Three sons that I haven't seen in over a year. And it's starting to wear down on me, you know?"
Puffin
Site Admin

actually this is something I've wondered about

Postby Tentacles » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:51 pm

That took the salamander by surprise a bit. He really hadn't expected the Viking to be a family man, of all things. He was definitely old enough to have a bunch of brats running around though. James was quiet for a while, digesting this information.

"Yah know, maybe we could put a request in." he drummed his fingers on the dock. "Like for time off. You could get out of this shit hole for a while and go see your kids. I mean, they don't grant it often, but..." yeah, in the five years he had served RED so far he'd only seen two guys get time off, and a lot of pleading and bribes had to be made. Still, he was trying to offer Niklas a little glimmer of hope, as pathetic as it was.
Tentacles
Colonel

Postby Puffin » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:01 pm

"That's the thing, though," he said, adjusting the turtle's position once it had started to wander away too close to the edge. "With that stupid lizard around no mail has been able to come in or out. Getting time off is hard enough in the first place. I've been working for RED for about two years now, and I've only had the chance to go home once, during Christmas. But that was at my old base, and we received regular mail and could even get a phone call home once every couple of months. Out here? Nothing."

His sightless eyes were staring up at the sky above. "At this point I'm more concerned with simply communicating with them. They might not even know that I'm still alive. Telling them that I didn't die, I didn't forget, and that I'm okay and things just got tied up a bit." They had a chance now that the monster was dead, but since the docks hadn't been rebuilt and seemingly no one had made an effort to contact HQ, they were really in much of the same situation.
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Tentacles » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:16 pm

Oh jesus. He hadn't even thought of it that way - hadn't even noticed the mail stopped coming (he wasn't exactly expecting letters). It wasn't a situation the salamander could sympathize with completely, but the Medic's unhappiness about it was apparent. Again the slippery arsonist was quiet.

"You know, you could...er..well I could..." he squeaked a bit, not sure how to word this. "If you told me what you wanted to write, I could write it for you. As for the mailing it, the town's only a few miles - I'm sure there's a post box or something I could just sneak it into and get the fuck out before anyone noticed me. I mean, shit, if it means that much to you..."
Tentacles
Colonel

PUFFIN'S 700TH POST OMG CHECK IT OUT

Postby Puffin » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:43 pm

For a minute Niklas actually looked happy again, smiling at James' comment. He was genuinely touched by the offer, but he knew that it really wouldn't be prudent to allow the little salamander to attempt sneaking into the town. "James, that wouldn't work and you know it. I don't doubt that you could escape, but what could happen to you if RED somehow found out about it?"

He set about petting the turtle's shell once again, looking a little happier than he had been before. "I could probably guilt Henry or Kurt into getting it delivered, really. But then again, I'm not really sure how good my kids' English is. Though I suppose their mother could translate it?" Mikaela was an educated woman, and from what he remembered her English would probably be more than sufficient to translate a simple letter.
Puffin
Site Admin

*partyhat*

Postby Tentacles » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:00 am

"Hey, I'm not saying I'll drop it in a post box and then fuck off forever! Look around - I don't think they'd notice if any of us went off base for a day or two." the salamander grumbled. Still, the Medic had a point - it was less risky (and easier) to guilt one of the Engineers into somehow getting it out. Seriously, he was going to have to harass them both now, just to get these goddamn docks fixed so the Viking here could get his mail out.

The language barrier wasn't one he had been expecting though. James had only heard Niklas use his native tongue in exclaimation, so the English as a second or third language thing hadn't really sunk in. "PPf. Maybe if you want to skip your old lady having to play translator, we could get fancy we could try to find a recorder or something. Saw that in a movie once - guy's mom was illiterate so she'd send him tapes."

"But first, let's see if we could even get it out. Alright, so you don't want me tromping off to the town. So what else? Sending via carrier pidgeon or should we both torture Kurt until he fixes the dock?"

He added, after a thought. "By the way, SOMEONE should go into town, against the rules or not, and spread the word. I'm sure the yokels still think that thing is lurking around. Even if we fix the dock, they might still keep their distance."
Tentacles
Colonel

Postby Puffin » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:34 pm

"Not so much if you disappear for a few days, but if one of the locals catches sight of you and word spreads around town. If we're planning on going there like you say, the last thing we want is to instill a sense of paranoia. Or stir up trouble." The were relying on those people for more than just supplies and mail. "Remember, this is pretty much our only connection to the outside world. I'd rather not take too many risks."

Niklas did smirk at the James' ideas. "Well, she's not really my old lady any more, but I see your point. I don't know if we have a tape recorder, but I could always try writing. I'm sure there's a way. And like I said, I have two engineer friends who I can pester, until they either actually fix respawn, rebuild the docks, or just deliver the stupid mail. It's a win-win situation, but I don't really think torture will be necessary." Both of them had a guilty conscience anyway, especially Kurt.

Going into town was a decent proposition. "I don't know, do you think we're due for another team discussion? Or just spreading the word around, whichever is easier. If we really want to make it happen we can."
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Tentacles » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:14 pm

Ugh. Team...discussion. He stuck his tongue out at the very suggestion. Considering how it went LAST time..."It think it would just be easier to track down the people we need to get the ball rolling and take it from there. Start involving too many people and we get all hung up on who wants this and who wants that and it just gets ridiculous. Just...trust me, you should be glad you weren't here for the last one we had at RED."
Tentacles
Colonel

TELL ME A STORY JAMES

Postby Puffin » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:35 pm

Niklas just shrugged. "I'm not partial either way. Whatever make you comfortable, I guess. But was it really that bad?" He hadn't seen James stick his tongue out, but he could tell by his tone of voice that the experience wasn't the best, to say the least. "Look, we'll all have to get together at some point to discuss supplies and the fact that we seem to be short a leader anyway. What was it exactly that everyone got angry about?"
Puffin
Site Admin

AND EVERYONE WAS (booty)MAD

Postby Tentacles » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:59 pm

"Oh god..." James rested his forehead in his hands, groaning. "It was a cluster fuck and nothing got done. This was back in...December? See, the reason we decided to call the meeting was because Josif went apeshit and killed me and the dogman." he mentioned the brutal murder a bit casually. He had some time to get over it, and in this business death was cheap anyway. "Or maybe that wasn't what the meeting was about, but it sure as hell prompted it."

"Anyway, there was a lot of yelling (and sobbing), somehow Rufus got elected leader. Only 'cause he had been around the longest so far and was one of the oldest. It was more like a desperation move, you know? We also elected a co-leader, that RED Spy, Ami. Of course, he's gone too. So's the original leader, this jerkoff named Tom. Never met him. Maybe being the RED leader is some kind of curse?"

"So yeah, gettin' to the fucking point: its just stupid to have a meeting, unless you're going to force everyone to stay on topic. Possibly with the threat of violence."
Tentacles
Colonel

shit red team get it together

Postby Puffin » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:26 pm

Niklas nearly fell off the dock. "He what?" Oh, this made things way more complicated. It probably had to do with whatever idiot was currently in possession of the soldier's body, but that was an alarming revelation. He decided not to get too accusatory, it was obvious this was the abridged version of this story.

"I remember Aimé, actually. He seemed reasonable, I kind of liked him. Probably should've just gone with him as a leader. Why did you decide to split up that responsibility, anyway...?" The gesture just seemed superfluous. That's what you get when you try to please absolutely everyone, he supposed.

"Well," he said, stretching his arms above his head. "I'll agree for just getting people to go into town a meeting probably isn't necessary. But it will have to happen at some point. At least we have a different group of people now. A group hopefully mature enough to talk about something together without everyone getting upset."
Puffin
Site Admin

sorry i feel like being creepy again and wrappin' this up

Postby Tentacles » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:44 pm

"Yeah, hopefully...you know, this shit reminds me, we don't have a leader. Again." the salamander was about to state his rather biased choice for a candidate when he suddenly fell silent. Something was stirring under the docks...

Without a word, James splashed back down into the water, the sound of snapping jaws following. Something small was squealing in terror, but it didn't seem to be the Pyro for a change.
Tentacles
Colonel

Postby Puffin » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:53 pm

"Yeah, that is kind of important, isn't it? What do you thi-- what--" He sat up suddenly as the salamander slipped off the dock and into the water with a splash, nearly losing the turtle in the process. He did manage to catch the little critter somehow, cradling it to his chest.

The sqeaking below did not escape his notice. "...James?"
Puffin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Docks