Seeing Eye Salamander (Niklas, open) (BACK DATED)

Where everyone arrives. Arrival is not team-separate, and we trust you'll be able to figure out which you're on. We send supplies plus purchases every month, on the first. The original dock was destroyed, and the current one is still only half-finished, so you're dropped off a bit of a ways up the bank where its safer to land. Just don't get lost.
The team Warehouses also stand out near here, or at least used to. RED's is the only one still standing, while BLUs seems to have been burned to the ground. Or maybe exploded. Or both.

Seeing Eye Salamander (Niklas, open) (BACK DATED)

Postby Tentacles » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:34 pm

(( back dated to August 15th))

There was a good reason the little Pyro was not a Spy.

James still had that odd, cold feeling in his gut that just wouldn't leave. In addition to, apparently, loosing his sense of balance. He fell off the broken porch on his way out of the RED base, and thanked whatever cosmic entity that caused him so much grief that no one witnessed it.

It would be good to get back in the water after so long. Though when he approached the banks by the wreckage of the docks he only felt dread rather then excitement. Not a strong enough fear to send him high tailing it into the woods, but it didn't look like the watery escape he had been craving, more like a...mud hole.

Don't think like that. He made a promise to the ghost to at least LOOK. The chip had to be intact and it was probably buried in the silt somewhere nearby.

With a soft splash, the slippery arsonist entered the black waters. He spent some time nosing about in the muck, not finding much except the rotten smell of the swamp's constantly purifying dead vegetation. James surfaced and let out a frustrated croak - this wasn't even a needle in a haystack, it was a diamond in a four ton shit pile.
Tentacles
Colonel

Location: Falling apart // Creeping around // BLU base // Trying not to get shot in the head

Re: Seeing Eye Salamander (Niklas, open) (BACK DATED)

Postby Puffin » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:22 pm

It was likely that no one had seen the salamander's spill off of the side of the porch, but someone did hear it. He had actually been sitting to one side of the porch, far enough off that the salamander didn't seem to notice him, or if he did he didn't acknowledge him. The sound of the footsteps had told him that it was someone of smaller stature, and the constant, distinctive squeak of rubber.

Put two and two together, and it could only mean James. Niklas was about to call out for his pyro friend, but hesitated. The lessons Henry had been giving him since their little chat were a welcome relief to sitting around all day and invaluable for his senses, he had also taken some of the other things the engineer had taken to heart. Really the only major obstacle had been his hesitation toward leaving the base. The outside of the porch remained a boundary, a strict reminder of his disability. Whatever lay beyond was basically unknown to him now, and the swamp he knew would prove to be much harder to navigate than any place with four walls.

But it was now or never, right? He was going to have to learn at some point. Throwing caution to the wind, he unfolded his metal cane and started off after the sound of noisy footsteps and squeaking rubber, with only the slightest hesitation as he stepped off the wood and onto the soft soil.

But even as he reassured himself mentally, he couldn't stop his heart from racing. He knew if he got lost here, what awaited him was possibly hours or days of wandering, or an angry zombie to shoot him. He shook the thoughts from his head, focusing instead on the noise. They didn't seem to be making too many turns. It was only when his cane bumped up against something unusual was when he stopped, crouching down on the ground to find out what it was. He found the object to be an old, rotted, and wet piece of wood. He felt around some more. There was another, and another piece.

He heard water. Water and old wood could only mean they were by the the docks. He stood up in time to hear something relatively large enter the water and move around. Had his unwitting companion gone out for a swim? "James...?"
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Niklas: blind blonde ninja

Postby Tentacles » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:36 am

James turned towards the sound of Niklas' voice with surprise. Either the blind Medic had teleportation powers or his sense of hearing was going down the toilet. How the hell..!? Nevermind, it didn't matter.

"Yeah?" he paddled closer to the edge of the ruined dock. "The hell are you doing out here, man? Its not um..." the Pyro stopped himself before going on to say something of the effect of you can't see shit stop walking around by yourself before you fall in a ditch. To be fair the Medic had gotten much better at getting around by himself, and more importantly, had come to terms with his new lease on life. Sort of. A swamp full of gators and homocidal zombies was still no place for the doctor. "...uh, you're pretty close to the goddamn edge. I really couldn't haul you out if you fell in."unless you were bitten in half, but...
Tentacles
Colonel

Location: Falling apart // Creeping around // BLU base // Trying not to get shot in the head

are viking ninjas a thing now?

Postby Puffin » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:39 pm

"It's not what?" Niklas said angrily, opening his eyes to give the pyro an accusatory face. "Not safe. Yes, I know. And if you're talking about... this edge," he said, moving forward a bit until he found the edge and tapped it with his cane. "There it is. I can swim, you know. All you would really have to do would be to tug me in the direction of the surface and I could go from there."

But he realized that his anger was misplaced, and that James was really just trying to look out for him. He closed his eyes again and sighed, his anger turning into a calmer mood. "The thing is, James, I've been trapped inside of that base for literal weeks, with a skewed sense of time since I have trouble telling what time of day it is without being outside. I haven't been more than a few meters beyond the porch either." Henry had been giving him lessons either in the front yard or the training room, and as appreciative as he was, that invisible boundary was still there.

He sat down on the edge of the ruined dock, feet dangling over the edge. "At this point I'm willing to take some risks, or else I might go crazy. You can understand that, right?"
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

well it should be

Postby Tentacles » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:50 pm

At the Medic's anger (and those eyes) the salamander lowered himself into the water until only his own eyes were peeping above the surface, bubbling meekly. He understood why he'd be offended, but he seriously doubted the Medic would be able to swim blind - what was that about people swimming at night, drowning because they couldn't find the surface? Fuck it, not worth arguing about it.

Plus he could sympathize. The Medic was starting to show some signs of cabin fever. "I can understand it, Doc, but..." shit, how to put this without sounding even more offensive. "Shit, you should at least tell somebody where you're going."
Tentacles
Colonel

jums if u insult me i will hold u down and stare at u

Postby Puffin » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:21 pm

The blind man couldn't help but smile at that last comment. "Well, uh... here's the thing. I didn't know where I was going. I was out on the porch when I heard you leave, and I thought 'why not'? So I just followed you by sound until I wound up here." In truth, if the salamander hadn't fallen over, he probably wouldn't have had the chance to follow him out, but that was a detail that could be spared. "If it makes you feel any better, I wouldn'tve gone out without someone else around."

Niklas leaned forward a bit, resting his arms on his knees and laying the cane down to the side. Even though he knew he really wasn't far from the base, being outside in the open air was really doing wonders for his mood. Even in a place like the swamp. "So why did you come down to the docks? Are you just going for a swim?"
Puffin
Site Admin

MOTHERFUCKING META

Postby Tentacles » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:03 pm

The salamander groaned. "And what if I had swam off instead of hanging around? Where would you be then?" he felt like a nagging mother, but it was a legitimate worry. "But yes, in the future, please fucking wait for someone and TELL that person you're following them?"

He floated on his back, humming. "Didn't I tell you about Rod? I'm looking for his respawn chip. So's Tentacles."
Tentacles
Colonel

god damn tenty you crafty motherfucker

Postby Puffin » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:52 pm

"If you had swam off..." said Niklas, his tone and expression suggesting a mixture of anger, frustration, and more than a little desperation, "I would've simply picked up something and thrown it at the water until I got your attention. Or I would've simply waited. Or I'd go out on a limb and just guess."

"The point is," he said, sitting down on the edge of the ruined dock, his voice growing quieter and more somber. "I don't really care at this point. I wanted to test my other senses, but more than that I really can't wait much longer. I can't really express it feels to be actually outside and away from that awful base for a change." There really wasn't any way to convince him otherwise. He inwardly knew that it was rather foolish, but he would never admit it out loud and the payoff was more than worth it.

He did give James a confused look at the mention of a respawn chip and someone named Rod. "Who is that? I don't think you've ever told me about him. And by 'tentacles', do you mean Gerhard?" He leaned forward, eager to hear the explanation.
Puffin
Site Admin

you know it babe

Postby Tentacles » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:54 am

"Alright, alright I hear you. Just do us all a favor and let us know when you're heading out, okay?"

"And I didn't tell you about the ghost?" the salamander hit himself in the head - guess the events of the monster killing and everything else that was going on must have taken precedence. "Damn, thought I told you about that shit for sure. There's some sucker stuck in the wreck of the BLU warehouse - a lot like your pet Sniper ghost. He's a RED, and he's sort of a dick, but I said I'd try to find his chip. He said he died somewhere by the docks here..." he sighed. "I think I might be in over my head. He's been dead for about thirty fucking years. Who knows where the fuck that thing is now?"

"And you should know Tentacles. That monster-guy who came in on the plane crash? You operated on him when Pushy Engineer and Connal brought him in. God he gives me the creeps. But..." he grinned sheepishly. "I sort of contracted him out for help. He's having a look around too. Thing is, if he finds it, he wants something in exchange..." the slippery arsonist floated on his back. "I dunno what you use to barter with a guy like that. He wanted...get this...hairbrushes. Just to look around."
Tentacles
Colonel

Postby Puffin » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:30 pm

"No, you didn't." The blind man frowned a bit at the mention of the ghostly respawn sniper as a 'pet.' It was true he had tried to set Bryce's chip in front of the medigun as much as possible to give him some free reign over the area, but he was hardly a pet. More like a companion who probably understood the concept of limited mobility even more than Niklas did, and someone different to talk to.

Regardless, the mention of a new ghost was interesting. "I suppose you would be the person most suited to find it. The only problem would be if you found it, I'm in no shape to remove the respawn chip." The last thing he wanted was for the chip to be accidentally damaged or destroyed. That would probably spell (permanent) death for whoever this ghost was. "But he can talk without a direct power source? That's interesting." It was probably indicative of the shape the actual chip was in, but he wasn't sure.

He leaned back on his elbows, digesting the information about the other tentacled hybrid. "Yeah, I remember. Something like him would be pretty hard to forget." Especially not with those gaudy colors bestowed by him on whatever sociopaths had worked on him. "I'm just surprised he's still around. If I were him I would've taken the opportunity to swim somewhere as far away as possible."
Puffin
Site Admin

haha, i'm posting back in time!

Postby Tentacles » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:25 am

To Niklas' comment about the chip, the salamander just shrugged. "I know, I know, but look - finding it is the first step, right? I'm sure by the time either of us finds this goddamn thing you'll have a set of functional peepers again."

"Maybe there's nowhere for the mute mutie to go? I don't think this swamp really has an outlet into any rivers or anything, and besides where--wait..hold on." there was a soft 'plop' as the Pyro submerged, leaving the Medic in silence.

Less then a minute later there came the sound of struggling and splashing, accompanied by the slippery arsonist's usual creative string of obscenities. Something fleshy smacked against the remains of the dock, and finally the frackas came to an end.

"For fuck's...GOD, I hate these things...here." he tossed something large and obviously dead onto the bank. "Do people eat catfish?"
Tentacles
Colonel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_7u3nhANa4

Postby Puffin » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:27 pm

"I certainly hope so," Niklas said in regards to the respawn chip and respawn. At this rate it seemed like it would be forever until he had a functional pair of eyes again. And at this point even being relegated to cracking open decades open corpses for respawn chips was better than nothing at all.

Had it really gotten to that point? He shook the thoughts from his head. No, he wasn't going to dwell on it right now. He was outside, really outside, for the first time in however he knew"I don't know if there's a way out of here for sure by water, but you'd figure he'd at least try? It just seems that pretty much anywhere is better than here. Maybe he's got his reasons... oh?" He sat in silence, listening to James submerge himself, and eventually the sound of a struggle reached his ears.

He nearly fell off the dock in surprise when something hit it, quickly catching himself and hearing that same thing hit the shore nearby with a wet thud. "A catfish? What, did it try and bite you or something?" It was a bit of an entertaining thought, the little pyro being chased around in the water by a similarly sized fish. Niklas laughed, flopping onto his back, laying on the remains of the dock with his legs dangling over the side. "Yes, people do eat them. I think they're a local specialty, but I'm not an expert on the subject. I've never eaten one myself."
Puffin
Site Admin

ha ha, small talk!

Postby Tentacles » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:44 pm

"Well, this one didn't bite me, but sometimes they do..." the Pyro preffered not to tell the story of the first time a catfish caught him by the foot and dragged him thorugh the swamp. "...and don't laugh! They're dangerous! Sort of. They kind of have teeth."

"Well whatever then. At least we'll be eating something besides spam tonight, it would be a breath of fucking fresh air." of course, on James' part this was a lie, but a well executed one. He figured for laughs later he could stuff down a face of worms right in front of Niklas without the Medic knowing. "I think that man-mountain BLU Heavy is a local, she'd know what to do with it."
Tentacles
Colonel

Postby Puffin » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:23 pm

The doctor was in a quite obviously good mood, stretching his arms above him and humming tunelessly, his legs gently swinging back and forth. A few weeks ago he would've never thought of the air in the swamp as refreshing, but compared to the stale air of the base, it was practically a paradise.

He said nothing at first, simply letting James say his piece. The mention of eating the fish did get a stir out of him. "I suppose you could just ask her, if you think you can get a straight answer out of her," Niklas said, raising his head a bit. The Heavy's eccentricities had been a bit too much for him to handle. "But it would probably taste fine if you were to just give it some decent spices and clean it properly." Most food was like that, and it tasted even better when compared to the canned stuff.
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Tentacles » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:48 pm

"Yeah, you're probably right. I don't think we've got much spice in the kitchen though...wait. Hold on." another small splash, and the Pyro disappeared again. The water seemed calmer - he wasn't struggling with some fish abomination this time.

He surfaced again, this time closer to the edge of the dock. Snickering, he paddled closer to the Medic. "Hey...hey Niklas put out your hand for a second."
Tentacles
Colonel

excuuuse me jums cant u see i am swinging my legs around

Postby Puffin » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:59 pm

Niklas stopped humming and sat up, wondering what the little pyro had found this time. The snickering hadn't escaped his notice, and that put him on guard. His first time out of the base and already James was playing tricks on him?

Well, no time to be a spoilsport. It might be fun. "James, if this is something gross, it's going to be thrown back in your face," he warned, tentatively extending an open hand towards the salamander.
Puffin
Site Admin

well one of us can see *wah waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah*

Postby Tentacles » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:05 pm

"Naw, its not gross...they're actually kind of cute when they're this size. I hadn't seen them since...y'know, the monster showed up. Figured they were all dead. Guess I was wrong." the salamander handed over the mystery item with utmost care, the slippery tips of his fingers only very briefly grazing over the Medic's palm.

What landed in Niklas' palm definitely had a strange texture to it: tiny hooked claws that were attached to soft, slimy feet, with a hollow feeling hard body. Whatever it was kept trying to claw its way back to the water, as futile as the effort was. "I don't think people eat these though..."
Tentacles
Colonel

should i brace myself for eye puns?

Postby Puffin » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:28 pm

"An animal, then?" It better not be a gross animal. Or a cat, but cats didn't live in the swamp (one of the few good things he could say about it). His suspicions were confirmed when the object landed in the middle of his palm and began to move around. Quickly he took two fingers of his other hand and examined the object, gently enough not to hurt it but firm enough to keep it from crawling away.

He felt four little clawed limbs, and the distinctive pattern of a reptilian shell. His confused and slightly apprehensive expression almost immediately changed to one that looked incredibly happy. "A turtle? It's so small, is it a baby?" The little critter looked almost comical in Niklas' rather large hands. He gently petted it with an index finger. "I wish I could see it, turtles are so cute."
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Tentacles » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:36 pm

"Yeah, its a baby. The big ones don't get that large anyway though, maybe one or two feet across. Dunno what kind it is, but its not the snapping kind. I wouldn't...handle those babies." yeah, there was another story he was not telling. The goddamn Medic looked so fucking happy though. James wasn't exactly a master at detecting human emotion, but seeing Niklas actually smile like that made him realize how unhappy the doctor had been.

"Well, you could try to keep it. That way, when you get better, you could look at it all the time."
Tentacles
Colonel

brace yourself for feels kids

Postby Puffin » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:30 pm

"Aww, James..." the medic's smile was on the salamander now. He shook his head slowly in response to the little pyro's suggestion. "I don't know how to keep a turtle properly, nor do I think we have the means." It was a nice idea, but he wouldn't want to wind up harming the creature. "Besides, he belongs out here. It wouldn't be fair to take him from his home..."

Niklas trailed off, his expression growing rather distant for a split second before returning to normal. No, don't think about that. Enjoy the moment instead. He continued gently tracing the patterns on the turtle's shell. "I'd rather just find him again and see him out here."
Puffin
Site Admin

Next

Return to The Docks