Exploratory Surgery (OPEN)

Where everyone arrives. Arrival is not team-separate, and we trust you'll be able to figure out which you're on. We send supplies plus purchases every month, on the first. The original dock was destroyed, and the current one is still only half-finished, so you're dropped off a bit of a ways up the bank where its safer to land. Just don't get lost.
The team Warehouses also stand out near here, or at least used to. RED's is the only one still standing, while BLUs seems to have been burned to the ground. Or maybe exploded. Or both.

Exploratory Surgery (OPEN)

Postby Tentacles » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:22 pm

Well, this was at least three kinds of inconvenient. Not to mention somewhat horrible.

Boarding the dinky little boat that was waiting for her in the town with the wheelchair would have been impossible. Not that the stares of the boatmen regarding the metal blades on her legs were any better. Small minded yokels. She reminded herself they weren't worth getting annoyed at, and ignored them for the most part.

But she was absolutely flabbergasted when she was abandoned at a shallow bank. Did they really expect her to get off here?! A minor argument started with the captain, in which she coolly suggested several creative ways he could engage in anatomically impossible carnal relations with himself. There didn't seem any other way around it, and finally she was forced to disembark.

The running blades were primarily made for hard flat surfaces, not the muddy mire of a swampland. Each step she took was a horribly sticky adventure. THWP THWP THWP. Good god. The rest of this godforsaken place better not be like this.

Easy, Doctor. Just a challenge. Slow and steady. The promise of continuing her...studies...in this dump also kept her moving forward.

It was a dark day for mental health at Swamp Rat. Dr. Sauvageau had arrived.
User avatar
Tentacles
Colonel
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:10 pm
Location: Falling apart // Creeping around // BLU base // Trying not to get shot in the head

Re: Exploratory Surgery (OPEN)

Postby Puffin » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:53 pm

It was just another day at Swamp Rat for Feng, still enjoying the freedom of being able to walk around without the threat of being eaten by an angry swamp monster. She was traveling along without her rubber suit, with nothing but her hammer over her shoulder, a lighter in one pocket and some scraps of old newspaper in the other.

...Okay, so maybe she had a few more ulterior motives besides just exploring and getting some fresh air. But the other team members seemed to be a bit uneasy when she lit her fires, as small as they were. But it was actually quite peaceful for her out in the swamp, the isolation and time alone comforting. So she was walking along a familiar waterway when she heard a peculiar sound of something being repeatedly stuck in the mud and pulled free.

She followed her ears to see a human figure struggling through the muck. She cleared aside a tree branch with one hand. "Hello...?"
User avatar
Puffin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVRY6ro9CeA

Postby Tentacles » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:10 pm

Dr. Sauvageau lifted her head up. Initially startled, she quickly turned her analytical gaze on the smaller woman. "You are definitely not a local." she said flatly, adjusting her glasses. She didn't know much about the local customs but carrying a massive hammer through the swamp was probably not one of them either. "And out of uniform. Though..." those trailing scars, that bit of newspaper sticking out of her pocket. "...probably a Pyro. RED or BLU, indeterminable."

"Though BLU, I hope." she took a few more tentative steps forward through the muck. "My patience for this place has worn out already and I would be most grateful if...hold on." one of the blades had apparently hit a particularly deep pocket, and she was forced to disconnect it from her stump. With a tug, she was able to yank it free of the mud, and hobbled towards Feng on one blade. "...you would show me the way to the correct base."
User avatar
Tentacles
Colonel
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:10 pm
Location: Falling apart // Creeping around // BLU base // Trying not to get shot in the head

Re: Exploratory Surgery (OPEN)

Postby Puffin » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:23 pm

Feng felt the woman's gaze, first on her face and then lingering on her scars. She wasn't particularly self-conscious, but it was the first time in a while that anyone had paid them any mind. But she supposed it was only fair, as the pyro herself did catch herself staring at the newcomer's prostheses. An unusual shape, not one she was familiar with. "Yes, I am a pyro, one for BLU."

And highly impractical for the situation, so it seemed. She snapped back to reality as the other woman hopped forward on one blade. Feng immediately offered an outstretched arm. "I can show you the way, yes, but do you need some assistance?"
User avatar
Puffin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Re: Exploratory Surgery (OPEN)

Postby Tentacles » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:36 pm

"That would definitely be appreciated." she nodded with a measure of gratitude as she took Feng's hand to steady herself as she snapped on the detached blade. "I'm not sure if I need assistance, just direc-"

As soon as she was back on her 'feet', as it were, the other leg decided to sink. Sighing in exasperation, she popped that one off and yanked it out of the muck as well. "...Yes, some assistance would be satisfactory. You can start by assuring me not all of this base is quicksand."
User avatar
Tentacles
Colonel
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:10 pm
Location: Falling apart // Creeping around // BLU base // Trying not to get shot in the head

Re: Exploratory Surgery (OPEN)

Postby Puffin » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:48 pm

Oh dear, that was worrying. Clearly this was going to be more difficult than simply leading the new teammate to their destination. "There's a footpath over there," said Feng, pointing with her hammer, "the ground is quite a bit firmer there, you will probably have less trouble."

In reality the ground on the footpath was still a bit soft, but a far cry from the muck that they were standing in at the moment. It would also take them through more of the swamp, but considering how much trouble this new person was having already would undoubtedly be shorter.

"I'll take you there. You can lean on me, if you need," she said, still not moving from the spot until the older woman was good and ready.
User avatar
Puffin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

people skills

Postby Tentacles » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:21 pm

Sauvageau gave Feng a small, appreciative smile; the Pyro wouldn't know that this was more then she had given colleagues she had worked with for years. "You're far too kind." she leaned on the smaller woman's arm as she reattached the wayward blade again. Keeping a hand on the Pyro's shoulder, they set off for the more solid path.

The Medic cleared her throat. "You can address me as Dr. Sauvageau. Who might I have the pleasure of being...hrmph..." she paused to tug a blade out of the soft ground. "...rescued by?"
User avatar
Tentacles
Colonel
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:10 pm
Location: Falling apart // Creeping around // BLU base // Trying not to get shot in the head

Re: Exploratory Surgery (OPEN)

Postby Puffin » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:54 pm

Feng moved along slowly, letting the newcomer keep her own pace as they made their way to the firmer footpath. "It's really no trouble, I assure you." She certainly wasn't going to leave the poor woman there by herself, and she didn't have anywhere to be, so why not?

She did falter a bit as the older woman introduced herself. "Doctor... Sah-bah-zhu? Sa-va-jiu? Sauvageau? Did I say that right? I'm sorry..." Third time was the charm, but it was still said rather clumsily. Feng had gotten to the point where most English names didn't give her trouble, but a lot of foreign or European ones still did and really brought out her accent. She would likely get it with practice, but for now it was rather embarrassing.

Luckily, they had reached the footpath at that time, and the pyro helped doctor onto it, looking a little flustered. "My full name is Ye Lan Feng, but feel free to call me Lan Feng or just Feng."
User avatar
Puffin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

complaining already

Postby Tentacles » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:59 am

The Medic couldn't help but raise a brow with some amusement at the Pyro's attempt. "The effort was valiant, Ms Feng. Better then most. You can call me Yvette if my last name is too much of a mouthful."

She was able to stand on her own on the (relatively) firm footpath without having to worry about loosing a leg. "A definate improvement." she stomped the blades against the dirt to rid them of the mud that was starting to cake on the fiberglass. "Though it reduces my faith in your facilities here. I was told there would be a laboratory, but..." she frowned, gesturing at the surroundings in general. "...I'm starting to think it might not be more then a few beakers and a rat."
User avatar
Tentacles
Colonel
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:10 pm
Location: Falling apart // Creeping around // BLU base // Trying not to get shot in the head

yvette u gotta put ur best foot forward always

Postby Puffin » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:19 pm

"I can do that, I think." Likely Feng would just refer to Yvette by her title, as it was simpler and more polite. She supposed she could practice though. But the new doctor seemed to be faring well on the firmer ground, and the pyro released her from her grip tentatively, relaxing once she was walking a bit on her own.

They had started along the road, Feng walking slightly ahead, when the first remarks of the place's condition came. She frowned a bit, looking down at the ground briefly before looking ahead. "Well, we're actually a bit away from the bases. They dropped me off around here too." It made some modicum of sense then because of the giant man-eating swamp monster, but now she wondered if it was just laziness.

And of course, the remark about the base itself. Yvette unfortunately wasn't too far off the mark there. "It's true that our base is..." Awful? Falling apart? Disgusting? In disrepair? "...in poor condition. But there have been efforts to improve it. And there is a laboratory in the infirmary, it's rather small but our other medic keeps it in good condition."
User avatar
Puffin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Re: Exploratory Surgery (OPEN)

Postby Tentacles » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:55 pm

"Well at least that's something." the doctor obviously sounded unimpressed. Still, there was always a silver lining...

She folded her hands together, leaning forward as she walked. "May not be a complete loss. I was promised by my superiors I could continue my research here. Are there any..." it was Yvette's turn to look for the proper term. "...unique individuals on the BLU team, Ms. Feng?"
User avatar
Tentacles
Colonel
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:10 pm
Location: Falling apart // Creeping around // BLU base // Trying not to get shot in the head

Re: Exploratory Surgery (OPEN)

Postby Puffin » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:21 pm

Feng looked visibly taken aback by that question, so much so that she forgot to walk for a moment. She quickly caught herself, though, and continued on, trying her best to pretend that nothing had happened. She had a strong feeling she knew what Yvette was suggesting, but instead decided to skirt around the question. She wasn't sure how the rest of the team would feel about her haphazardly revealing information, even though this newcomer was on their team and she would find out about it sooner or later.

"Doctor, may I ask what you mean by 'unique' individuals? I haven't been here very long, and this isn't like the other base I was assigned to, so can you be a bit more specific?"
User avatar
Puffin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Re: Exploratory Surgery (OPEN)

Postby Tentacles » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:00 pm

Dr. Sauvageau noted the Pyro's hesitation to answer, and the way she seemed to skirt around the issue. That alone told her volumes. Still best to press on.

"Augmented. Spliced. Otherwise had their natural form tampered with." the Medic increased her pace until she was beside Feng. "Hybrids."
User avatar
Tentacles
Colonel
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:10 pm
Location: Falling apart // Creeping around // BLU base // Trying not to get shot in the head

Re: Exploratory Surgery (OPEN)

Postby Puffin » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:06 pm

The increased pace did not go unnoticed. Feng honestly felt rather uncomfortable, feeling the doctor's eyes on her through those thick lenses. Something about Yvette's tone and persistence made her uneasy, though really all she did was ask a simple question. She swallowed, looking straight ahead and trying her best to not look nervous.

But at the same time the pyro knew that the newcomer was no fool, and the way she was acting wasn't exactly keeping any secrets. "Yes, we have hybrids," she said simply. No use in lying at this point.
User avatar
Puffin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

ha ha, i'm creepy!

Postby Tentacles » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:59 am

The Pyro's answer seemed to please the Medic - and opened the unfortunate BLU up to a barrage of questioning. Yvette had pulled ahead of Feng and was now walking backwards, her arms folded as she continued to ask questions facing the poor Pyro.

"Really? And what animals have they been augmented with? Are they part of a program that's on going here on this base or are they over flow from the main operation? Are they all functional?"
User avatar
Tentacles
Colonel
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:10 pm
Location: Falling apart // Creeping around // BLU base // Trying not to get shot in the head

yeah i'd say she really put her foot in her mouth

Postby Puffin » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:39 pm

Feng nearly stopped dead in her tracks once the newcomer appeared in front of her, quickly catching herself and trying to walk along as if nothing had happened. But no matter how fast or slow she walked, Yvette seemed to match her pace perfectly, the barrage of questions continuing.

They were flying at her too quickly for her to answer them all while remaining coherent. "Well that's... ah..." She averted her eyes, not wanting to meet the Medic's gaze. Why was this woman going on about programs and functions and labs? That was something, she supposed. "Doctor, I believe you're mistaken. There is no research facility or program here, the hybrids on our team are just... regular teammates?" As regular as they could be.

"And they seem to live just fine, I never really aske-- ah, behind you!" Yvette looked like she had no trouble walking, either forwards or backwards, but as it stood if she didn't stop those blades would've bumped into a rather prominent tree root.
User avatar
Puffin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)


Return to The Docks

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron