Consequences will Never be the Same (Intro, Open)

Where everyone arrives. Arrival is not team-separate, and we trust you'll be able to figure out which you're on. We send supplies plus purchases every month, on the first. The original dock was destroyed, and the current one is still only half-finished, so you're dropped off a bit of a ways up the bank where its safer to land. Just don't get lost.
The team Warehouses also stand out near here, or at least used to. RED's is the only one still standing, while BLUs seems to have been burned to the ground. Or maybe exploded. Or both.

Consequences will Never be the Same (Intro, Open)

Postby Connal Reid » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:14 pm

Apparently, word hadn't yet got out to the normal boatmen that the giant monster everyone was so worried about had been taken care of. Not that the docks had been repaired yet, but neither of that really mattered. They wouldn't tell Tihun why they refused to travel that far to begin with.

So now, a very annoyed woman was making her way through the swamp, he pets running around her as they saw fit. They had originally been on leashes, but after Tihun got stuck in the mud for a good fifteen minutes, she decided the lighter hyenas would be better off if they weren't attached to her. At least it was a fairly straightforward route. "Just follow the river until you find the docks." Why in God's name she couldn't follow the river on the water was beyond her, but they seemed more afraid of deep water than they were of her. Which was saying something.

At least the hyenas provided a good distraction. Saidah had come running up to her, a possum hanging limp in her mouth. "Even without my help, you are very good at hunting," she complimented, grinning. Tihun had started speaking English to her babies at her second base, to get them more used to the language that it seemed everyone in BLU had at least a basic understanding of. Although sometimes it was fun to speak in one of her more native tongues, just to get everyone worried about what she was saying. Ruth, on the other hand, didn't seem to be having as much fun as her sister. At one point she even tried climbing on top of the Heavy, for which she could only guess was because her pet was tired of the squishy, wet ground.

When a different sort of shape appeared through the fog, Tihun hoped she had finally come across the docks. However, as she got close enough to get a good look, she was once again confused. Why were they all smashed up to pieces? Was this some evidence of why the boatmen were so afraid to come out here? More importantly, why wasn't there some kind of sign or something pointing to where she needed to go next? In a habit she had picked up from a Scout at her last base, the Ethiopian shouted, "Now this is some bullshit, right here!" The larger of her hyena pets pressed up against her leg, probably wanting to get some place dry. The smaller just started eating the possum.
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Tihun - BLU Heavy Hyena Bitch
Connal Reid
Colonel

Location: Just follow the sound of the music.//Somewhere, idk

AIRPORT POST. Also: this will end in tears.

Postby Tentacles » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:39 am

"Bullshit is bullshit. And the docks are bullshit. So's the water." there came a rough, hoarse voice from the depths of the fog. Followed by the sound of multiple hands in the mud. Crabs had been following the trio for a while, and didn't seem to think the hyenas were a threat (or more likely, he interpreted them as dogs with his poor sight). His last encounter with a person had ended in a screaming retreat because of a GIANT FUCKING BIRD, and his nicotine cravings were driving him to be a little bolder with the begging.

Remembering last time, the man-sized arthropod waddled out in plain view, 'standing' as tall as he could manage. "Am a Spy! Am a Crab! Not a thing! Please no shouting!" there, that should cover about everything and not lead to any misunderstandings. "You got any smokes?"
Tentacles
Colonel

Location: Falling apart // Creeping around // BLU base // Trying not to get shot in the head

OH GOD IT'S A GIANT DEMON BUG SQUISH IT SQUISH IT

Postby Connal Reid » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:34 am

Or, perhaps Ruth had been getting so close because she was afraid of the large and freaky monster that had appeared behind them.

All of the bases that Tihun had been stationed at were hybrid-free. In fact, not only has she never encountered one to this point, she had no knowledge of them existing at all. So for a few moments, she just stared at the crab claiming to be a Spy, slack-jawed. Then, she took her single bag that she had been carrying over her shoulder, and swung it towards the crab with all her might. "Stay away, ganel!" she shouted, probably to Crabs' dismay.

Ruth stayed behind her owner, not quite sure what to make of the creature in front of them. Saidah, on the other hand, dropped the possum, started the typical hyena "laughter," and ran to Tihun's side. Perhaps it was tasty.
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Connal Reid
Colonel

Re: Consequences will Never be the Same (Intro, Open)

Postby Tentacles » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:11 am

This was certainly dismaying. The Crab yelped and ducked, flattening himself as much as he could to the muddy ground to avoid the swinging bag. There was a sound too he couldn't identify, but it struck terror into his ventrical system like a bolt of lightening. Whatever the 'laughter' was, it sounded predatory.

"I'm sorry! Will stay away! Stop swinging!" the Crab skittered backwards, already waving his metal tail up in the air as if it would keep the mad Heavy from attacking.
Tentacles
Colonel

Location: Falling apart // Creeping around // BLU base // Trying not to get shot in the head

Postby Connal Reid » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:04 pm

Tihun paused as one thing became immediately apparent; the demon was afraid of her. She didn't trust its sincerity, however. Demons could be very clever, it might just be trying to trick her into thinking it was weaker than it really was. There wasn't any real way of gauging just how tough that shell was without attacking outright, and with her gun disassembled inside her bag, she wasn't sure if it was worth the risk.

Saidah was more curious than afraid, and dared to get a little closer when it backed away. That is, up until she got a scolding in Amharic. She trotted back to the Heavy's side, but kept her eyes on the creature. In English, Tihun addressed the crab. "You will not come near me or my pets again, demon, or I will kill you. That is your only warning." Sure, the hyenas back home were supposed to be able to protect the city from demons, but like hell she was risking her two if she could just chase it away now. Were there more demons in this swamp? Were they the reason the boatmen had been so afraid? Suddenly her information of the area seemed woefully lacking.
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Connal Reid
Colonel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpHMoE8KcGg&feature=relmfu

Postby Tentacles » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:17 pm

Well. That was incredibly rude. The Crab 'stood' again, lifting his tail haughtily into the air.

"Good luck finding the base then, BLU lady." with a huff, the shelled abomination turned around, waddling away as quickly as he could manage, tail still swinging behind himself like a car antennae.
Tentacles
Colonel

Postby Puffin » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:19 pm

"Jus' let him be. He ain't gonna hurt ya." Madison appeared from behind a tree, long hair tied up high, barefoot, pants pointlessly rolled up above her knees, and soaked from the chest down. She had seen the crab man scuttling around from time to time in the swamp, but considering the fact that he seemed more interested in finding food than going after anyone, she decided he likely wouldn't bother people if they didn't bother him. It was just another weird creature, and one far more welcome than their last guest.

She was carrying a makeshift trap out of chicken wire and cloth, all junk she had found laying around in storage. Crawdad season was technically over, but that stupid swamp monster had prevented anyone getting near the water, and she wasn't going a summer without getting at least a few crawdads, dammit! There had to be a few out there at the very least, most of their natural predators likely chased away by the overgrown lizard.

She adjusted her grip on the trap, brushing a lock of hair from her face. "If y'all are lookin' for BLU, I can show y'all de way."
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Postby Connal Reid » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:13 pm

It was almost comical, the way the creature acted as if it had been offended. As if it expected anyone to behave differently towards it, be polite to it. Tihun watched the demon leave, before her attention was grabbed by a new voice. Thankfully, the owner of this one was human, though the words weren't entirely reassuring. Perhaps the demon had already tricked the residents that it was harmless. Which was all the more worrying since it knew where the base was, or at least claimed to. Well, there wasn't much she could do at the moment, so dealing with that would have to wait for later. Preferably after she put her Tomislav together.

"Lead the way, then," the dark skinned woman replied, slinging the bag back over her shoulder. "Do not mind my girls, they are always curious of new people." As if to prove her point, both hyenas trotted up to Maddy, sniffing her and the trap she carried. "I am Tihun, new Heavy. The smaller hyena is Saidah, and the darker-colored is Ruth. They don't bite, unless I tell them to."
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Connal Reid
Colonel

Postby Puffin » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:25 pm

"Well, I'm Madison Beaulieu, but y'all can call me Maddy if y' like. I'm a heavy too. Nice to meet you." It was surprising to see another member of her class arrive. Usually the other classes got filled up first. There was no end to the number of physically capable people the companies hired, but very few had the physical strength or constitution to be heavies. And an even fewer number were women. A peculiar coincidence.

"An' hello to you too, Saidah and Rut'," she said as the hyenas gave her a sniff. She even extended her hand and gave each a quick pat on the head before looking back at the newcomer. "It's not too far, but if I go an' jump in de water right quick, don' follow me, it jus' means I found a good place for de trap here."

And with that, she started off, holding a branch aside for her new teammate. Probably best to take the shortcut back.
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Postby Connal Reid » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:14 pm

Tihun nodded, actually a little impressed. Another Heavy woman, and she didn't shy away from the hyenas at all? Definitely not something she was used to seeing. "To see which of us is stronger, we should sometime wrestle," she suggested. Maddy didn't seem all that dissimilar from herself. A little taller, perhaps, she noticed with just a twinge of envy. Having been used to being a bit on the tall side, it always got to her when another woman was bigger. "Trap? What for?" It looked more than a little small to be for the demons.

When they started walking, Ruth fell behind to get next to Tihun, and remained there. Saidah ran ahead, poking her nose into just about everything while the others caught up. She never went too far, though sometimes she wandered behind the two Heavies instead of in front.
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Connal Reid
Colonel

Postby Puffin » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:19 pm

"Maybe," Madison replied to Tihun's suggestion. They were similar enough in size, so logic would dictate that they would have a similar level of strength. Maybe. Unless one of them was unusually strong for their size. But wouldn't both of them be unusually strong? They were both women who could out-muscle most men, with the exception of other heavies of course. Would that make them both unusually strong for unusually strong people?

She was walking along slowly, watching the hyenas scurry about and pondering this train of thought when the other woman's question brought her back down to reality. "Crawdads," she said happily. That was something that could be definitely answered. "Gonna catch 'em, den boil 'em all up nice. Got t'ree ot'er traps layin' around here, dependin' on how much I catch I might need t' make more."
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Connal Reid » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:05 pm

Tihun couldn't help but smirk at Maddy's "maybe." One way or another, she ended up in fights with everyone, so it seemed silly to think otherwise. "And you hunt?" The coincidences just kept piling up. She wondered just how many more they'd find. "I have not had crawdad. I will admit, I have not heard much about it. I would like to try, though." Similar to her hyenas, the Ethiopian would eat just about anything, and found very few foods indeed that she disliked to the point of spitting it back out.

It was at this point that Ruth made her displeasure known again, trying for a second time to climb up on top of her master. "Agh, no Ruth, down." For emphasis, she told the hyena to get down in the handful of other languages she knew how to say it in. With some reluctance, the animal stopped, and instead started walking a little faster to catch up with Maddy. If one Heavy refused to carry her, perhaps the other would allow it.
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Connal Reid
Colonel

Postby Puffin » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:49 pm

"I don't really hunt much, jus' fish. Was never really good at huntin', much better at catchin' t'ings in de water. We have a sniper who's good at huntin', t'ough." Madison's train of thought was interrupted as one of the hyenas trotted up beside her. She gave it a quick pat as she walked, still on the lookout for a suitable place. "Crawdad's real good, t'ough I'm probably gonna have t' sho' y' how t' eat 'em." There was a very particular process of taking them apart, one that most people not from the area had no idea how to do.

Suddenly as she walked she stopped dead, turning her head to a certain spot in the water. Perfect! Not too shallow, not too deep, partially concealed by grass... A crawdad trapper's dream. Without a word she dashed off the path and into the water, practically crawling into the spot and getting wet what little of her had remained dry.
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Connal Reid » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:28 pm

"Not so different," Tihun replied, giving a shrug even though Maddy's back was turned. "Just more waiting, and less tracking." Interesting, though, that there was a specific way crawdads should be eaten. She wondered if it was actually practical, and not just a manners thing. The Ethiopian held back a chuckle when the other Heavy practically dove into the mud. It was always nice to see people who weren't afraid to get dirty. You'd think that someone who signed up for a daily basis of fatal bullet wounds, decapitation, and blowing up into chunks wouldn't be so damn prissy, but there still were plenty of BLUs she had met that hated to get a bit of dust or blood on them. Some of them weren't even Spies, which seemed predisposed to hating anything "unclean."

Ruth was less impressed with Madison's sudden dive. So much for trying to take a break from the muck everywhere. She almost slunk back to Tihun, glancing as Saidah raced past her. The smaller hyena gave a running leap into the water, splashing around and generally stirring everything up. Finished with her playing before the fisher was done with her trap, she crawled back up the side, giving a good shake to get the excess water off. It almost looked like she was contemplating taking a second dip, with the way she turned and looked back.
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Connal Reid
Colonel

Postby Puffin » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:20 pm

Madison barely even registered the smaller hyena running in the water, completely absorbed in her setting of the trap. It was a relatively simple affair, as the spot fit around the handmade trap almost perfectly. It was rare to have such a lucky find like this. With the trap in place, she took out the container of nondescript canned meat that she had been using as bait. She really would've preferred some form of fish, but this would do.

When she had finished the business of the trap she stood up and waded back to shore, now completely wet, making her rolled up pant legs almost comical. She was looking rather triumphant. "Okay den. Sorry 'bout dat, but it was a real good spot. Now I can lead y'all back real quick, no mo' distractions."
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Connal Reid » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:16 pm

Tihun nodded, following the other Heavy once more. Finally, the base came into view. Even by BLU's standards, it was a pretty poor sight. "How many fight here...?" she asked. The state of things gave the impression it was abandoned. Not that she mentioned fighting, she had to ask another question. "And strange that you were around to find me. Is this an off day?" It wasn't unheard of, especially for weekends.
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Connal Reid
Colonel

Postby Puffin » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:28 pm

It wasn't long before the pair had made it to the BLU base, able to take a direct route with all of Madison's crawdad traps laid."Ta-da. Here we are." But Tihun seemed confused and mildly disapproving. "'Bout ten or so?," she replied to the other woman's first question. "Dunno, could be miscountin' some or somet'in'. 'S a small base, not too many people."

But the second question would take far more explaining. "Well..." she took the opportunity to take off her hat, loosing her long red hair from its tie and wringing out some of the water, the excess dripping out onto the ground below. They didn't have fights here, and no one was quite sure why. RED and BLU intermingled freely. She had forgotten that this was a foreign concept to a lot of the new transfers, especially those who had been stationed at normal bases. ""S kinda a long story. D' y' want t' hear it now, or wait 'till y'all are settled in and den I can tell it to ya?"
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Connal Reid » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:45 pm

Ten wasn't so bad. Tihun had been on smaller and larger teams both, but knew better than to assume that nine or more meant at least one of each class. Still, the fact that Maddy wasn't sure on the exact number seemed a little strange. Usually the numbers were made to stand out, presumably to make sure people understood just what they had and what they were up against. That wasn't the truly concerning part, however.

The concerning part was this American's hesitance to answer a question about the battles. What could be so bad out here that someone would be uneasy answering that kind of question, and, oh, that hair color was actually very pretty... "We cannot do both?" the African asked, as Ruth ran up to the front porch where she immediately started to try to clean the mud off of herself. Really, Tihun thought, the worst it could be was that, for some reason, this Heavy didn't participate in battles. It might explain why she was sent to a base that already had a female Heavy. But they'd have to deal with that if and when they got to it. The somewhat shorter Heavy made her way up to the front door, and let herself in. Of course, she let more than herself in, as the lighter color hyena bolted past, mud and all. Her sister, for the moment, was content to stay put on the first patch of ground that didn't sink under her paws since they arrived.
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Connal Reid
Colonel

tihun you poor soul

Postby Puffin » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:11 pm

Anyone who knew the rather eccentric redhead would know better than to leave her to explain a simple story, let alone one as complex as the situation at Swamp Rat. But Tihun had only just met Madison, and by of no fault of her own, was stuck with her explanation unless someone else came along to take up the responsibility.

"Okay den, if y'all don't wanna wait den come and sit over here," she said, taking a seat on the porch steps and leaning against the railing. "First I'll go an' start off sayin' dat dis base ain't like ot'ers, t'ough I guess I can't really judge 'cause dis is my first base, but everyone else says it's real different. But t'ings are weird here, gonna explain dem as best I can, so stop me if what I'm sayin' don't make no sense. I ain't real good at explainin' t'ings."

She remembered her hat in her hand and wrang it out on the stairs, putting it back on her head. "So I came here in... December, I t'ink. Now, we don't have many people 'round here now, but back den when I got here it was jus' one ot'er person, our medic. He'd be pretty good to ask questions too, since he's been here de longest. But he ain't here an' I am, so anywho..."

"So dis is all real weird t' me, an' it gets weirder when he starts tellin' me dat dere used t' be a whole lot mo' people 'round here. But dey all disappeared. Gone wit'out' a trace. One scout came back, an' we got a few mo' people who came out here, includin' you, but lookin at de old team roster dere were like more den twenty."

"So anyway, on top of dis swamp wit' people vanishin' left an' right, we don't have battles. No one really knows why, but it just ain't happenin'. Maybe dey were plannin' t' have dem an' it backfired, or dey jus' are doin' it on purpose." She had the good sense at this point to stop and take a deep breath, letting the last bit of information sink in for the newcomer. "Am I makin' any sense? De story ain't over, but sometimes I ramble."
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Connal Reid » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:15 am

Perhaps the American had missed the point of Tihun's question, but okay. She would sit and listen, for now. It wasn't like she had anything else better to do, since moving in would take all of her putting her bag down and picking a bed. So, after a quick glance at the smaller hyena as it turned a corner, the black haired woman let go of the door and took a seat. Maddy seemed to run her mouth more than that idiot Scout from Egypt, but for some reason it wasn't annoying.

The disappearances got a raised eyebrow. It wasn't entirely unheard of for BLUs to disappear without notice, usually because they had in some way upset the higher ups of the company. But for this many? And for at least one to return? There had to be something else going o- hang on, back up there. "No battles?" That had to be the absolute oddest thing yet, even considering the demon. "But... Fighting is what RED and BLU does. It is what we do. How can they have two bases with people and not battle?" If it was true, and it wouldn't change, Tihun hoped she wouldn't be in Swamp Rat for too long. She'd get sloppy. And the story wasn't even over at that... The Ethiopian gave a sigh and waved her hand in a small circle, gesturing for Madison to continue.
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Connal Reid
Colonel

Next

Return to The Docks