The World is My Ashtray [James, Rod]

Where everyone arrives. Arrival is not team-separate, and we trust you'll be able to figure out which you're on. We send supplies plus purchases every month, on the first. The original dock was destroyed, and the current one is still only half-finished, so you're dropped off a bit of a ways up the bank where its safer to land. Just don't get lost.
The team Warehouses also stand out near here, or at least used to. RED's is the only one still standing, while BLUs seems to have been burned to the ground. Or maybe exploded. Or both.

The World is My Ashtray [James, Rod]

Postby Puffin » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:05 pm

The wreckage of the warehouse had caught Feng's eye from the day she arrived. Though none of the buildings at this base were in good condition, the scattered debris and collapsed walls stuck out like a sore thumb. She had refrained from asking about the ruin, more interested in checking it out for herself. After a few days, she could no longer contain her curiosity. She donned her chemsuit and headed out, with her hammer over her shoulder and a lighter and a pack of cigarettes clipped to the pouch on her belt.

Walking through the scattered debris and fallen walls, she could tell by the smell and blackened stone and wood that the destruction was recent. It must have been an impressive blast to have caused such devastation. However, she felt strangely at ease, taking comfort from the seculsion and the faint smell of fire.

Eventually picking out a spot, she gathered some spare wood together and pushed it into a pile, rummaging around for some kindling. Upon finding some, she took out her lighter and lit a flame, poking the embers with a stick to get the fire going. Yes, she decided she liked this place quite a lot.
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Re: The World is My Ashtray [James, Rod]

Postby Tentacles » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:21 pm

This was all awful.

The salamander was still trying to wrap his head around what exactly had happened to Josif, and how there could be a psycho wearing his corpse running around the swamp. All he knew was it took Niklas' life and he wasn't there to help prevent it, or even keep the zombie from running away. He knew the swamp (well, relatively) better then Kurt or Connal, and he wasn't going to wait for Talbot's help. Unfortunately, the search was quickly becoming a failure like everything else you do James. There were no tracks. There were no signs at all. The slippery arsonist shouldered his flamethrower and slumped against a tree. Shit

A blue blur caught his eye. Feng probably didn't notice the bright red hazard suit in the trees because her interest was concentrated on the warehouse. James blinked a few times. When did BLU get a Pyro? Oh, shit. Should have probably told the BLUs there was a crazed killer out and about.

He set off after his BLU counterpart, waving frantically. The other Pyro was armed, and the last thing he needed was to get his head bashed in. Better to let them know he was coming. "HHrrdhra!"
Tentacles
Colonel

Location: Falling apart // Creeping around // BLU base // Trying not to get shot in the head

Postby Puffin » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:28 pm

Lan Feng didn't notice the RED pyro at first, staring at the flames growing larger and larger, beginning to feel their warmth even through the thick rubber. She felt calm, at ease, the stress and strangeness of recent events melting away with the burning of the wood. She didn't even hear his shout, lost her own little world of fire and heat.

It was only when she reluctantly turned away from the flames to get more kindling did she notice the rapidly gesticulating RED. She instinctively reached for her hammer but hesitated. He looked as if he was trying to get her attention, and if he wanted to kill her he certainly wouldn't be alerting her and waving his arms around like that.

She raised her hand in a tentative greeting, her voice muffled and deepened through the mask. "Hhhrrorrh? Whrrt rrs rt?"
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Postby Tentacles » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:59 pm

Oh shi--no, wait the other Pyro didn't pick their hammer up. That was a start. He wondered how much the newcomer knew about how...relaxed things were currently between RED and BLU. He finally caught up to the shattered concrete, and---OH A FIRE.

The salamander was a little distracted for a few moments, staring at the fire behind the BLU. A simple little shindig, not quite like his own gasoline fueled disaster parties, but it was a handsome fire nonetheless. Wait. Why was he here? Oh right. "Uhts nut shafe ought hrr!" he gestured towards the woods and the swamp with the nozzle of his flamethrower. "Thrr's uh zumby, und a munstr..."
Tentacles
Colonel

Location: Falling apart // Creeping around // BLU base // Trying not to get shot in the head

Postby 12 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:54 pm

Somebody was here? Multiple somebodies, it seemed. Well well well. Rod hadn't really been expecting this, but he was always up for staging a creepshow, no matter how badly the first one had wound up going. He kept himself as faint as possible for now, just chilling in a pile of rubble and listening to their conversation. One of them had set a fire, he could see it through the gaps in his cover. Not a big one, but still a fire. They both seemed to be Pyros, which was going to make for a fairly entertaining entrance. The Heavy was just barely able to understand what they were saying, being that he never really learned huddah when he'd had the option to, but the last bit of James's dialogue was clear. It also made for an excellent cue!

He stayed faint, creeping up behind James silently. When he was in position, he loomed over the tiny Pyro, slowly fading back into visibility with a menacing half-grin, already wondering how the firelight was going to add to this. He didn't wait another second before finishing the RED's sentence, managing to sound intimidating even as a slightly-transparent version of himself.

"...and all manner of things besides. You wanna be careful out here."
Lieutenant

Postby Puffin » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:23 pm

The pyro was warning her, that much she knew. Something about a monster? Lan Feng still had a bit of trouble with the hudda language, especially while wearing her own mask. She opened her mouth and was about to ask more when all of a sudden...

Oh god. OH GOD.

What the fuck was that?

Clearly this was the monster. There was no other explanation. She was terrified, but immediately she took up her hammer, shouting "LRRRUK ORRT!" to her RED counterpart before shoving him aside and taking a swing at the apparition.
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Tentacles » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:32 pm

The ghost had set all of his slimey senses a tingling, and in the bad way. Defiantly in the bad way. He was easily shoved out of the way by the BLU Pyro. Initial panic set in as he positioned his flamethrower, until he noticed a very intriguing little detail - the hammer just swung right through the apparition without actually hitting the ugly bastard.

Okay now he was just annoyed.

"Hry! HRY. Ghhrddumit..." the slippery arsonist peeled up the bottom of his mask. "ITS A FUCKING GHOST. Just a goddamn ghost. Funny, I didn't think you had them either."
Tentacles
Colonel

Postby 12 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:55 pm

Rod just laughed, shaking his head at the futile assault. This just never got old, no matter how many times the reaction was the same. "What's that supposed to mean, short stack?" he asked James, tilting his head. "And I'm not just a ghost. I also happen to be a particularly mean one, and you're currently standing right in the middle of where I'm haunting." He gave the RED a one-eyed glare over the top of his sunglasses, the grin turning into a convincingly malicious scowl. "You got about ten seconds for some kind of explanation before I show you what all sorts of creepy shit you done let loose." Rod paused, taking a moment to alter his positioning to where he was staring down at both of them, silhouette glowing faintly. Man, he was right about the fire, that shit was adding all sorts of dramatic lightning. He mentally congratulated himself, making a note to try to rig something similar for his next entrance of this sort.

"You first, BLUbird. Reasoning?" The ghost crossed his arms, drumming his fingers on what all remained of his left arm. "I've got plenty of time, being dead and all, but you two don't."
Lieutenant

Postby Puffin » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:17 pm

Lan Feng let out a hiss through the vents of her mask as the hammer went through the apparition harmlessly. She really should've thought that one out better. But when the RED pyro hit the ground, that did little to explain the situation. "Thrris hrs hrrpennd buhfrrr? Thurrh urrh morh?"

Then the ghost started talking, and being rather rude while he was at it. Apparently this thing had happened before? And he wasn't the only one? Well, judging by the way the other pyro was acting, he probably wasn't harmful. She stuck out a gloved hand through the ghost's torso. Unpleasant, but not particularly painful.

She was still skeptical, however and reluctant to remove her mask. "I dnnt hrrve an ehxplnnhtion. I jhhst gut hrrh lrrst wrrhk." What did he want her to say, exactly? All she wanted to do was set a fire and explore.
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Tentacles » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:56 am

Fuck. No, not in front of this new BLU. Especially not now that they didn't seem at all scared of this goddamn ghost. No no no no no no -

The salamander's throat expanded like a grotesque balloon and a squeak escaped.

"We uh, had...have...had have a ghost in the RED warehouse too." BLU don't do that! You don't know where he's been.
Tentacles
Colonel

Postby 12 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:25 pm

If Lan Feng wouldn't have stuck her hand through him, Rod would've picked up harassing the salamander on basis of that squeak. As it stood, he adjusted the glow to be as bright as possible, once again scowling down at the BLU. "And just what was that?" He would've said that louder, but he didn't really think he could manage that and the glowing shit at the same time. He'd figured out what happened when he overdid it about a decade and a half ago. "What is it with you BLUs and sticking hands through a guy? You all just like doing that or something?" In response, he stuck his own hand through Lan Feng's shoulder, wiggling his fingers a bit just to be a jerk. "Does that feel pleasant? I doubt it. And if it does, go get your octodoc to check you out or something, 'cause that's just weird."

Speaking of weird, back to the other Pyro. "Did you now?" He tried to sound uninterested, but it didn't really work. There was another RED over there? Sure, he didn't know any of the team he had been supposed to join, but it was some form of condolence to know that you weren't the only decades-dead ghost hanging around. "What's 'had' supposed to mean?" That wasn't exactly reassuring. "Cough up some info and maybe I'll hold off bringin' the spooky shit around." With that, he cut off the glow as much as he could, scowl devolving into a frown.
Lieutenant

Postby Puffin » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:13 am

Lan Feng barely flinched once the ghost stuck his arm through her shoulder. No, it wasn't pleasant. But neither was his attitude, and it certainly wasn't the worst sensation she had ever felt. And she wasn't dead, so she was seriously starting to doubt the validity of his threats. She waved the hammer through him a couple of times for good measure.

More than anything, she wanted to know about the ghosts in general. Really, if anyone was owed an explanation, it was her. She was just the new girl, and all this talk of ghosts was completely out of nowhere. She bent down and helped the other pyro up. "Srrrhy. Wrhy dnnt yuuh shht uhnd explrrrhn?" Yelling at him certainly wasn't going to get a response, even with (hopefully) empty threats.
Puffin
Site Admin

time is confusing!

Postby Tentacles » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:17 am

James gladly accepted the other Pyro's help. "Thanks. Look, I'll explain as...best to my current knowledge, alright?" he seemed to be speaking more the the BLU then to the ghost.

"Apparently there was some kind of accident involving radiation and some other funny stuff over at the RED warehouse years n' years ago. We've got a Sniper there who's um...sorta stuck between respawning and being dead, so he's playing all fuzzy and intangible just like this...er, this guy here." he looked upwards at the sky, thinking. "And one of our Soldiers decided to respawn dead, and his 'ghost' is hanging out in our base while his corpse is running around being an asshole."

"And also there's a horrible...sea monster thing that's been living in our waters. Its attacked at least two people that I know of and destroyed the docks as you've probably seen. I think that's about it..."
Tentacles
Colonel

Postby 12 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:53 pm

"Firebug, what in the goddamn--" He stepped away from where the hammer had been swiping through him, staring at the affected area for a few seconds to make sure that things were still all in order. Ugh, he felt kinda nauseous now. Thanks a whole bunch, Feng. He made the executive decision to ignore the BLU for now, listening to what all the other Pyro had to say. "I sure as hell ain't 'fuzzy'." Rod sniffed, grumbling more to himself than James. He hoped not, anyway. Being described as 'fuzzy' was probably not a good thing, and he wasn't exactly sure how long he'd been dead--really, the fact that he was still around in as good a shape he was could be a blessing. Then again, it could've just been a few days or something. That wouldn't really explain how everything went to shit, though. Hm. He really should ask about that sometime.

"This warehouse here had something kinda like that. There was another ghost around here a while ago, but I dunno where he went. Was another RED, though." He rubbed his chin, ignoring the fact that part of it was missing. "What all happened in the other warehouse? This place had some kind of zombie shit. BLUs dropping like flies, too. Also, somebody blew the whole place up. Not cool." Especially being that he was now pretty much un-living in piles of rubble. Really, really not cool.
Lieutenant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQppamJoDqc

Postby Puffin » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:32 pm

Lan Feng, realizing that there was clearly much more to the story here from both parties, decided to take a more diplomatic approach. There was clearly a lot that wasn't explained to her, and it would likely take quite some time. Gently pulling on the other pyro's arm, she gestured at a slab of concrete by the small fire. "Sirhht," she said, before taking a seat herself. She looked at the ghost. "Yuuuh tuuh."

She kindled the small fire a bit before sitting up straight, removing her mask. "Start from the beginning, please," she said, looking back and forth between the ghost and the pyro. "Which happened first, the monster or the ghosts?"
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Tentacles » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:53 pm

James did a bit of a double take at Feng. It always seemed to be a surprise whenever a fellow firebug unmasked - the suits were truly de-humanizing, and he always fell on a default 'he' when thinking of other Pyros. Huh. Still, women in both the employ of BLU and RED were nothing new to him and he quickly shrugged it off.

"Alright, I'll start with the monster, cause we're goin' in chronological order. I think." the slippery arsonist was reluctant to sit too close to the fire with his chin exposed the way it was, his skin already starting to become dry just from being around the flames. "It came on a cargo ship back in...oh, I'd say February...big, ugly thing. Like a sea lion fucked a snake and the baby ate some steroids. There's been a couple of plans to kill the goddamn thing but nobody's got anything solid. Also it took off your Engineer's leg." he gestured at the BLU. "But that's his story, ask him yourself. Also went after um...a Soldier over at RED." better to explain Jericho ANOTHER time. "..while we were looking for a missing Medic of ours. But that's a whole other can of shit. Just stay away from the water, and you're golden."

"Over at the RED warehouse we had some pretty horrific bullshit too. Big old acid monster that looked like half a team glued together. Didn't kill anybody but it came pretty close...took OUR Engineer's hand..." what was with Engineers and loosing limbs in this place anyway? "But we killed it, got out, and we have a ghost living there too. Real skinny looking Sniper, apparently he's been down there a while, Niklas knows more then I do..." by now the arsonist had his chin in his hands, staring idly at the small fire.

"THEN, another one of our Soldiers came back dead after being missing, and his zombie murdered one of our Medics. I've been trying to find him with no fuckin' luck, but I'm not sure if he'd go after you. Or me. But I can't just let him stay loose."

When he was finished, he gave Feng a weak, toothless grin. "Fucking Swamp Rat. Welcome to hell."
Tentacles
Colonel

Postby 12 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:21 pm

Rod sighed, settling down on the edge of the slab a bit away from the two. It wouldn't do to get all buddy-buddy with a BLU, after all. "Yeah. Oh, by the way, you guys lost a little bird dude and a lady Heavy during that whole 'let's go see what's down in the pit of death I warned you about' thing. Did they come through oka--holy SHIT you're not a guy." Rod was entirely distracted by this for a bit, staring with a mildly dumbfounded expression for a split second before he shook it off, pushing his sunglasses back up and getting back on subject. Wait a minute, February. That was weird. "What d'you mean, February? It's like...what month is it, anyway? I kinda--got no real sense of time." Okay, it was about time to move that from weird to just downright unsettling. There was no way that was good. "And who's this Niklas dude? I gotta talk to him eventually. Being dead happens to be terrible. Don't try it for extended periods of time." He snorted, shaking his head.

"See, over here, there wasn't some kind of big old zombie thing. It was just a bunch of them. Your Demo popped some stickies in there and blew the place, which wiped all of 'em out, but it kinda took the whole building with 'em." Fiddling almost distractedly with the edge of his remaining glove, the Heavy frowned, leaning forward and resting his elbows on his knees. "Your one Medic--you guys do have one Medic, right? Kinda big dude, bunch of tentacles and shit? Him." He raised an eyebrow at Lan Feng, not entirely sure if she knew the guy. "Well, he managed to get some of that zombie blood on his face. Hit him riiiight in the eye, too. That one melted out, and then a Soldier--at least I think he was--that showed up with the Demo grabbed him and pulled him out. You gotta give some props to that guy. He was pulling your team out left and right." He nodded, pausing for a brief moment to think a bit more. "I'm not real sure who dragged your doc out, but somebody did, and then Captain Ahab there left real quick. He was coughing pretty bad, though, so who knows what the hell was up with him. Is any of this even making any sense here? It kinda...really didn't while it was happening, so." Hmph. Well, he was making the effort to be sort of helpful.
Lieutenant

Postby Puffin » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:17 pm

Lan Feng simply furrowed her brow in confusion at the ghost. "N-no...?" she was about to say that she would be too short to be a man, but considering the height of the other pyro, she held her tongue. "The month is July. I did meet a female heavy, but I didn't meet any... bird person?" the only bird she met was the one who led her to base, and he certainly wasn't little. "And yes, we do have one medic. He has two eyes now, though." It looked like she hadn't been hallucinating when she saw his tentacles. She wasn't sure if this was a good or bad thing.

She waited in silence and let the other two finish their stories. "So... if I am correct..." she looked back and forth between them, eyes settling on the ghost. "You died. And then sometime later the monster came, and then this situation in the warehouse here?"
Puffin
Site Admin

this tag is short, like attention span. Is funny to me

Postby Tentacles » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:48 am

The wheels, admittedly rusty as they were, started turning in the salamander's brain. "Hey ghost, what year do you think it is?"
Tentacles
Colonel

unfortunately tiny.

Postby 12 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:14 pm

"And of course we start drilling the dead guy on time. I don't even really remember the day I died, what makes you think I'll remember the year?" Rod griped, rolling his remaining eye. Seriously, what was he trying to pull? "197X. Sheesh." It couldn't be that far off. There was no way it was. "What's next, memory exercises? I'm undead, not an old guy. I remember everything else just fine." Heading that off at the pass wasn't a bad idea, really.
Lieutenant

Next

Return to The Docks