Old Bones [Bryce]

Where everyone arrives. Arrival is not team-separate, and we trust you'll be able to figure out which you're on. We send supplies plus purchases every month, on the first. The original dock was destroyed, and the current one is still only half-finished, so you're dropped off a bit of a ways up the bank where its safer to land. Just don't get lost.
The team Warehouses also stand out near here, or at least used to. RED's is the only one still standing, while BLUs seems to have been burned to the ground. Or maybe exploded. Or both.

Re: Old Bones [Bryce]

Postby Puffin » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:07 pm

"There is no spy. I lied," he repeated. Maybe he overdid it a bit as far as the slapping was concerned, but the guy did have a death grip on him and he was sounding pretty threatening. He sat down on Kurt next to the couch, giving Kurt a chance to collect himself a bit.

"Well we did have a spy at one point, but I haven't seen him in months so I guess it doesn't matter. Buuut..." he straightened his shirt out a bit. "I've been talking with the ghost in the warehouse. I'm going to try and get his respawn chip out of his body so either you or Henry can work on it. In any case I think he'd like to talk to you."
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Postby 12 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:14 pm

"'F you say so." He raised an eyebrow, still not entirely sure what Nik was going on about. When had Spies even become a thing in this conversation? When had this conversation started? More importantly, why did it really feel like he'd gotten smacked? "Uh, alrighty. Though I kinda figure I ain't real great comp'ny at th' moment." He offered a wry smile, straightening his hat a bit and still not looking particularly presentable. Nice try, buddy. "Jus' one l'il thing 'fore we go--did I get slapped 'r somethin'...?" Wouldn't hurt to ask, anyway.
Lieutenant

Postby Puffin » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:40 pm

He sighed, giving Kurt a tired but amused smile. "Ugh, I'll explain when you wake up more, just come with me. And I slapped you, because you called me a spy and grabbed my shirt. But maybe I should just show you instead?" After helping the engineer back off the couch, he didn't really say anything, hoping the short walk out would help him into coherency.

He ducked inside the infirmary to get the things he had laid out, and before long they were back at the warehouse. "Hej, Bryce? We're back!"
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:13 pm

It took a moment for the Sniper to come into view, having gone for a bit of a wander to see how far he could get with the MediGun powering him rather than the ambient radiation from the melted generator, but he soon fizzled into sight, having come flitting down from the ceiling in that speck of light form that worked best for going far.
He gave the disoriented looking Engineer a curious look, but smiled for Niklas.
It was obvious he was feeling a lot better than he had been when the Medic left, a little time to distract his thoughts quiet helpful for composing himself.
"Hey, that was quick."
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby 12 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:38 pm

"Y'can talk now?" Kurt returned the look with a matching one, soon turning it on Niklas. "What all'd y'do?" he muttered, looking perhaps a bit suspicious. If he remembered right, which really was questionable, the ghost hadn't been able to speak when they first came into the warehouse. He wasn't entirely sure why that would change all of a sudden. Maybe he didn't want to know. He coughed into his hand, doing his best not to look incredibly awkward while hiding his stump as best he could the entire time. The Engineer was really not comfortable with it, and likely wouldn't be. It was just...weird. Weird and not something he really liked people seeing.

"So, uh, what's th' plan, 'ere? An' I'm gonna go ahead an' say, 'm pretty much useless at th' moment. Best bet's th' BLU guy." He gave a mildly uncomfortable little smile, rubbing the back of his neck. Well, he'd warned them.
Lieutenant

Postby Puffin » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:18 pm

Niklas couldn't help but feel a bit proud at that look, puffing out his chest a bit and smiling. "Well, I noticed that while we were initially in the warehouse, when my medigun beam passed over his body his image became a little clearer. And it turns out with a little focus he's able to talk."

"Well," He said, putting on his gloves, "the plan is that I'll remove the chip, and we'll either take it to Henry or have him come to us. But I'd like you to take a look at the chip to assess the damage. And possibly offer up a theory to what the hell is going on here and what's causing it. I'll let you think on it, though," he said as he disappeared down the bunker steps to retrieve the corpse.
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:40 pm

"I can tell you how it works."
Bryce shuddered, sensing the Medic touching the corpse his chip was still embedded in, but he refused to look. He'd seen enough of the thing to last a hundred lifetimes, he really did not want to see it again. All mummified and dried out and fetal...
"Our Engie, poor bastard, he figured it out when we kept comin' back inside the bunker rather'n Respawnin' like normal."
He side stepped, gesturing to one of the heavy metal doors as he tried to focus his available energy to raising his voice so both the Engineer and Medic could hear him. He really didn't want to have to explain it more than he had to.
"The bunker's all metal, with lead in, blocks all the radio signals an' energy that would've let us escape, but the chips were still gettin' power from that generator all the way in the back. Don't get too close to it, it was some kinda radioactive experimental thing, went all wrong..."
It was a little weird, hearing the Sniper's voice at an almost normal volume with almost nothing there to see, the effort of making himself audible diminishing his image to a faint haze and a pinpoint of light about where his Adam's apple would have been.
"Uh, well, anyway... The chips were still gettin' power, an' it's all programmed an' shite t'bring up back, but there wasn' proper codin' 'r access 'r somethin' I f'get. Had people reanimatin' on the spot, rather'n dissolving an' goin' through normal."
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby 12 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:44 pm

"...that's all kinds'a messed up." Kurt frowned, mostly referring to the massive respawn error and not the fact that Bryce was pretty much invisible and still talking. "Y'think any'a their chips made it through, or are you gonna be our one'n only?" Maybe he should've worded that differently. Whoops. "Then again, we kinda...did a number on 'at. Er, 'em. You know what I mean." He glanced over in the direction of the vault, one eyebrow slightly raised. What if one of them was still saveable? It wouldn't do to just leave them there, but what could they even do? It was dangerous down there, apparently even more so than they'd thought, if Bryce's explanation was any indication. He sighed, returning his gaze to where the ghostly Sniper should be. It was a bit hard to tell right now.

"I don' think I caught your name, anyhow? 'M Kurt. I dunno if'n y'might'a already figured that'un out, what with this guy 'ere yellin' at me back when we first ran inta you." He gestured to Niklas, shrugging a little. "Still, 'ficial innerductions're always nice."
Lieutenant

Postby Puffin » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:09 pm

The bunker was still mostly dark, except for a weird ambient light coming from somewhere in the back. Not enough to work by, and he certainly wasn't getting any closer. It made him uneasy. The best idea would probably be to take the body upstairs where there was more light. Picking up the medigun (but keeping the beam trained on the target), he stared at the corpse for a while.

There was really no good way to do this, was there? Sighing, he grabbed a hold of its shirt, trying not to look at it as he went up the stairs. Unpleasant business, indeed. Still, he plugged on, emerging from the stairs at the tail end of Kurt's comment. "I doubt it," he said, gently laying out the body on a flat surface and putting down the medigun, which still was "healing". "Fire is pretty destructive, as are explosions. We could check later, but I doubt it..."

He moved his tools closer, and looked at both the ghost and the engineer. "Unless there's anything else, I think I can begin."
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:26 am

"Bryce Langley, Sniper of RED Team 3606. Pleasue t'make y're acquaintance."
He would have offered a hand to shake, but- well- The obvious.
He knew immediately when Niklas attempted to move his corpse, his image flickering slightly as he visibly stiffened, his expression going from amiable and maybe a bit nervous to a straight poker face that rivaled a Pyro's, his gaze fixed somewhere over the Engineer's right shoulder and pointedly not towards his body. He couldn't actually feel his body, not really, but his awareness of his Respawn chip allowed him to be able to sense the presence of its proximity.

In the light, the corpse was somehow even more gruesome, 20 years of radiation advanced decay within a previously sterile enclosed space turning a simple dead body into a mummified artifact barely recognizable as formerly having been a living thing. In fact, if not for the clothing, it would have looked more like some weird and slightly disgusting sculpture made out of plastic piping and old jerkey wrapped in swathes of crumpled and dyed tissue paper.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby 12 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:32 pm

"Go f'r it, I guess. Reckon this fella's been waitin' f'r a real respawn long enough, huh?" Kurt made a point to not look at the corpse, instead dredging up a reassuring smile in an attempt to make Bryce feel better. Poor guy. He didn't seem to be doing so great now that his body was up there with him. Kurt couldn't blame him in the slightest, though. "So, uh. What all c'n y'do, bein' a ghost?" Small talk to fill the time, yep. "I don' imagine it's all 'at fun bein' in limbo like 'at, but there's gotta be somethin'. An' if'n there ain't, that jus' sucks." The Engineer settled himself on a crate a slight distance away from where Niklas's operation was taking place, hoping that maybe the space would help settle the Sniper somewhat. He could put aside the fact that he was still perhaps a little bit drunk and ignore his own issues for now. The distraction would be nice, anyway.
Lieutenant

Postby Puffin » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:49 pm

"I'll keep the medigun running the whole time, so don't worry about it." The fact that Bryce had quite obviously turned away from his body had not escaped Niklas' notice. He positioned himself between the body and where the other two were sitting. He didn't blame the guy, after all.

But still, in the light of the main portion of the warehouse, it became clear that he really had his work cut out for him. He didn't particularly want to look at this mess either, but it wasn't like he had much choice. Sighing and donning a surgical mask (which he was internally grateful for remembering to bring), he began the grim business.

He started where he estimated the body's neck would be, judging by the clothes. It took him quite some time to make it through the mummified flesh, prying apart and cutting through the dry and warped tissue. After quite some time, he did eventually reach the Sniper's spinal column. Following it up towards the skull, he began to gently pry and cut apart the second and third vertebrae.

It was still difficult work, trying to balance precision with the strength needed to work through the long dead flesh. Eventually, his hard work paid off, and he spied a flash of red. "I found it," he called over his shoulder.
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:18 am

The Sniper was immensely thankful for the distraction provided by the Engineer's questioning, helping him keep from focusing on the vauge phantom sensations the chip radiated to him from the surgery taking place. It didn't hurt or anything, but it was mentally unnerving to think that he was effectively undergoing a serious surgical procedure while still conscious, never mind that his consciousness was no longer a part of his body.
"Well, until Niklas came with the MediGun, I couldn't do much of anythin', really. Managed t'figure out how I was still conscious an' all that, but I can't actually touch anythin' an' I couldn' talk until t'day. But..."
Bryce frowned slightly, brow furrowing in concentration as he held a hand out in front of him, the image of it blurring slightly before reforming with claws and fur.
"Can alter my image. Figured it out on accident, wasn' feelin' too grand an' gota bit spooked, started sproutin' claws an' stuff. Managed t'mimic Nik for a sec, felt really weird, lemme te-"
He broke off, eyes going wide and unfocused as his body stiffened and fizzled. He felt the discovery before Niklas announced it, and for a few sparse moments, his image fizzled into a haze that expanded and filled a great deal more space than a human body, the vague impression of something large and serpentine flitting through the haze before it all coalesced back into the Sniper's form, now with slitted pupils, fur, large claws and fangs.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby 12 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:59 pm

"Uh." Kurt just blinked at the sudden changes, staring once again at the Sniper before registering that Niklas had actually found the chip and had said anything. It took another few seconds to manage to tear his eyes away, frowning at the Medic's back. "Doin' good, Doc. Y'think it's gonna come out easy?" He rubbed at where his own chip was, swallowing. Here was where things were likely going to get a bit tricky. The RED didn't have any doubt that Niklas could do this, but it was still something that you generally don't have to do, and also hope that you never get to. He shuddered a bit, remaining hand now lightly gripping the edge of the crate. He still had his own bit of a job to do, which he was currently kind of failing at.

"Y'mimicked 'im, didja? Shoot. How easy is it t' do all 'at stuff, too?" It was a bit difficult not to get distracted by the Sniper's new features. Sure, Kurt had amassed a bit of experience with hybrids since he'd arrived, but it was still disorienting to see somebody swap around like that. Besides, he didn't exactly have the highest amount of weird things he could take before his kind required a reboot. That did occasionally happen.
Lieutenant

Postby Puffin » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:34 pm

"Probably not," he replied to Kurt's question, looking into the ruined spinal column. Respawn chips weren't terribly easy to extract from a normal body, and in one in this condition, it was going to be considerably more difficult. "But don't worry, I'm not going anywhere until I get it." He looked over his shoulder at the pair and gave them a wink, which immediately turned into a look of confusion. "Bryce, you're doing the thing with the face again."

With that, he turned back to the much more delicate business of removing the chip. It was every bit as difficult as locating the small device in the first place, possibly even more so due to requiring just the right balance of precision and strength to get through the toughened and mummified tissue.

After a long, indeterminate period of time, his hard work paid off. He finally got a hold of the bright red square, putting into the plam of his hand, letting the now useless body fall to the ground. He moved his hand to the nozzle of the medigun, allowing both he and the chip a healthy dose of healing rays.

"It's out."
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:06 am

The Sniper attempted to answer the question, needing the distraction, but he was finding it extremely hard to focus when he could feel the Medic touching the chip that was effectively him; His memories, his appearance, his personality- Everything he was, condensed down into mere data contained in a bit of old plastic and metal.
His image fizzled every time Niklas shifted his grip, the marksman's expression a combination of fear and intense discomfort as his projected body flickered between being furry and not, turning him into some kind of anthropomorphised animal for a few short seconds at its worst before he resumed a more human appearance. He didn't actually seem to have any conscious control over it, either, but he was more concentrated on freaking out over the extraction of his chip than his image shifting shapes.

When it was finally out, he actually disappeared for a short bit, reappearing exactly where he'd been, but lying on his back with his hands over his face.
"Unnnh... think 'm gonna be sick..."
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby 12 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:59 pm

"Wh--Doc, maybe we ought'a put 'at in a bag 'r somethin'. I don' think handlin' it directly's a real good idea." Kurt stood up, steadying himself using the crate when the room spun a bit. Heck. "We even bring anythin' like 'at along...? S'worth a check." Aside from his pockets (which were really not a good place to be putting things as important as somebody's respawn chip), Kurt didn't have anywhere to put it. Maybe the physical contact was what was playing havoc with the Sniper? That could be something, though he wasn't entirely sure how that worked. Then again, he also happened to have no idea what was up with this entire situation in the first place, so that really wasn't much of a surprise. "Jus' hang in 'ere, now. Got th' chip, an' we'll get you back t' th' land'a th' livin' faster'n a cat on a hot tin roof." Reassurance mode, go. This would be better if he could've helped Bryce up, but as it was, he just had to settle for words instead of actions.
Lieutenant

Postby Puffin » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:19 pm

Niklas couldn't help but chuckle at Kurt's fumbling. "No need, I already thought of it," he said, reaching into his box of supplies and pulling out a small plastic container made for biological samples, "This is nice and sterile, and it fits just right." He unscrewed the lid and dropped the chip inside, sealing it and making sure to keep it in the path of the medgun's beam.

He couldn't help but feel triumphant, and Kurt's little pep talks were undoubtedly helping. He didn't have to deal with that dreadful corpse anymore, but much more importantly they could get this poor guy a chance at life again. "Bryce," he said, giving the fuzzy sniper a big smile. "The worst part is over. We can finally get you out of here."
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:06 pm

A spectral hand came up, making a clear 'Please wait' gesture before Bryce went back to covering his face.
It took him a moment or two, but he did eventually pull himself together, sitting up and running a hand through his scruffy hair before speaking up, his expression one of exhaustion mingled with mild amusement.
"I officially feel hungover. An' I didn' even get drunk first."
He chuckled softly, looking up to Niklas with a thin smile.
For someone who was supposed to be dead, he pulled off looking alive and almost healthy pretty well. If you ignored the fact you could see through him and couldn't touch anything, he was almost normal. Well, as normal as anybody was around Swamp Rat.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby 12 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:52 pm

"Well, when we get you respawned, we c'n change 'at." Kurt chuckled, grinning widely. This had gone a lot better than he'd thought it would, really--he wasn't even entirely sure why he'd been needed, but that was a matter for another time. It was fairly clear that Niklas could've done this on his own perfectly fine, which did cause a bit of confusion as to why the Medic had decided to go seek him out. "You ready? S'jus' a matter'a time, now. Then you'll be good as new an' everythin'."

Now was really not a good time to think of the respawn glitches, but it came unbidden. His grin faltered a little bit, though he brought it back with redoubled effort. Nope, that was not anything to tell the guy that you were going to bring through the system next.
Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to The Docks