Old Bones [Bryce]

Where everyone arrives. Arrival is not team-separate, and we trust you'll be able to figure out which you're on. We send supplies plus purchases every month, on the first. The original dock was destroyed, and the current one is still only half-finished, so you're dropped off a bit of a ways up the bank where its safer to land. Just don't get lost.
The team Warehouses also stand out near here, or at least used to. RED's is the only one still standing, while BLUs seems to have been burned to the ground. Or maybe exploded. Or both.

Re: Old Bones [Bryce]

Postby Puffin » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:36 pm

Niklas did fall off of his seat this time, but this time it was in laughter. As goofy as it all was, he was glad for a tension-breaker. It was a couple of minutes before he finally composed himself. "Well done," he said, brushing off his shirt. "You'd make a spy jealous with that little trick." He wasn't sure what good that would do the situation in the long run, but it probably beat sitting around doing nothing. At least the ghost could do something now.

It was at that time that he heard a the ever familiar noise of energy suddenly flowing through the medigun. He looked over, seeing the pack crackle with energy and the glowing light from the nozzle grow exponentially brighter. He looked back up at the ghost, a coy smile on his face.

"Hej, Bryce, are you thinking what I'm thinking?"
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:11 am

The Sniper looked up from patting himself down, making sure he had all his own bits and bobs, and gave the doctor a curious look before he heard the distinctive crackling. A brow quirked, and he cocked his head, regarding the Medic with an expression of complete confusion.
"What'll that do? Me body's over there, y'know, an' i's pretty messed up."
Sure, he didn't know what it would do, but as far as he knew, the Ubercharge only worked on actual physical cells.
Which this active, almost living part of him really was not.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

im doing it for science

Postby Puffin » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:21 pm

The medic pulled himself back up to sit on the crate, this time pulling the nozzle of the gun onto the box nearby and messing with some switches. "I don't know for sure what it will do," he said over the steady hum of the charged machine. "But think of it this way. With the medigun beam focused on your body you're able to talk and form a more coherent image. So my question is, what would happen if I were to charge you instead?"

He really wasn't sure what it would do. But in the worst case scenario, it would just do nothing. And it might tell him a bit more about the nature of the sniper's affliction. He looked up at Bryce and smiled. "But it's not like we really have anything to lose, and it certainly couldn't hurt. Get ready." And with that, he tightened the grip on the machine and flipped the switch.
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Oh Dear, I have to theorize the shit out of this now

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:51 pm

Bryce opened his mouth to protest, but then realized that the Medic was right; With the chip being more consistently and generously powered, he was in much better shape than he had been, able to talk and move (and scare the crap out of himself).
From what he'd been able to understand about the MediGun and how it worked, the Uber would basically be a surge of more concentrated energy. A tad unnerving to think about, considering what he'd seen concentrated energy do to his teammates who had been too close to the melted generator, but this energy was different, made to heal and fix.
Maybe...

He didn't get a chance to finish his thought process, hearing the sharp click and then-
From the outside, the ghost had a moment of total surprise, and then he vanished. No fanfare or flickering, just gone, like he'd never been.
He only reappeared after the Uber had ended, and it was all the way across the warehouse, crumpled into a tiny shaking ball on the floor, fizzling in and out of visibility. A closer look revealed that he was crying, eyes wide and unseeing as he bit down on the side of his hand like he was trying not to scream.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Puffin » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:29 pm

At first Niklas didn't do anything when Bryce disappeared, waiting to see what would happen and more than a little enjoying the buzz. Of course, after he didn't show up for the entire ten seconds, that was a bit worrisome. But then the charge finally flickered and fizzled out, and his skin turned back to its natural color.

And there was Bryce, curled up on the opposite end of the warehouse, visibly shaking. And was he...?

Oh no, this was bad. This was not what he intended at all. "Nej då..." dropping the medigun nozzle back on the ground he stood up, practically running before putting too much weight on his affected leg and dropping to the floor. Cursing, he struggled back up to his feet and made it to the ghost's side, ignoring the pain.

"Bryce? Oh god, förlåt, I'm so sorry, I did not mean for that to happen..." Nice job, viking. Maybe you should've listened to the guy more before you did something like that? "I won't do that again, I promise."
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:50 pm

The ghost didn't seem to hear the doctor at first, staring off into space, but then he blinked, eyes focusing before he turned his gaze up to the Medic. A moment's pause, and his expression crumpled like a little kid who'd just been told his dog had been hit by a truck, the image of his body fizzling out into a vague sort of haze that drifted closer to the doctor, curling against the man.
It wasn't proper contact, with one of them being intangible, but there was still feeling to it, more than there had been down in the bunker, like brushing up against someone wearing a really fuzzy coat and getting a slight shock from the friction.

Bryce eventually came back into focus, looking shaken and pale, but no longer crying or trying to bite off his own hand. He rubbed a hand across his eyes, inhaling a (figuratively) deep breath in an attempt to help himself calm down and focus enough to make himself a voice.
"...Not y'fault. Didn' know what it'd do."
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Puffin » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:23 pm

The "contact" made him jump a bit from the unfamiliar sensation. Unfamiliar and rather unpleasant, to be honest, but Niklas didn't move away. He couldn't do that after causing this whole mess, and certainly not after seeing the ghost so distraught. He let the sniper curl up against him, again wishing that he could offer more to comfort him than just sitting around.

But he did remain at Bryce's side, letting him take the time he needed to calm down. He didn't know what had happened, but it had obviously affected him more so than he could've anticipated. He was relieved when the ghost finally spoke again, but he shook his head. "No, I really should've thought that through better." He sighed, and leaned against the wall, the pain in his knee beginning to subside. "I don't really know what happened to you, but I won't let it happen again."
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:49 pm

Bryce nodded, glancing around the room like he needed to make sure it was really there, then looked over to Niklas before dropping his gaze to the floor, huddling up in a ball and resting his head on his knees.
"...Pulled me into m'body. Like, tried- Tried t'make it work, fit me back i-inside-"
He choked, voice cutting out for a moment as he struggled to keep himself together.

In the short few seconds of the Uber, the corpse of his body had become a prison, his consciousness crammed into the desiccated remains as the Uber's energy tried to fix what was ruined beyond all repair. He had been able to feel it, the confines of skin and muscle degraded into uselessness, and he had been completely helpless to escape as the chip and the gun worked in tandem to try and make him not dead. Sure, some more power and a little extra time and maybe it could have worked, but he knew for certain he would not have been able to survive it with his sanity intact, what little of it he still had.

The Sniper shuddered, hiding his face a moment before sitting up, a hand rubbing over his face.
"S'a'right, neither of us knew what it'd do. Know better now, that's the important part."
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Puffin » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:57 pm

"T-thats..." he swallowed. "That's awful." Very eloquent. But there wasn't much he could say really. He could only feel really stupid. He was quiet for a few minutes after that, allowing Bryce to hopefully collect himself a bit more. But this did affirm Niklas' assumptions that the whole ghost thing came from a combination of a respawn glitch and a glitch on the chip itself.

"You know..." he said after the extended silence. "There's a chance that if we got a hold of your respawn chip that we could bring you back into your normal, living body. It's been done before, apparently." By the other team. He didn't know what inter-team relationships were like when Bryce had been alive, and that would take some explaining, but he was willing to do that for the sake of this poor guy's sanity.
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:11 pm

"Yeah...?"
It made sense, really. The only reason he hadn't Respawned the first time around was due to the bunker being lined with lead, which contained the radiation but also blocked all the radio signals and stuff responsible for making the system work properly. Course, the system was in a bad way to begin with...
"D'you know how t'get the chip out?"
He had a rough idea himself, since he knew where his chip was. Hard not to know when it was the only thing anchoring him to existence.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Puffin » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:12 pm

"Well," he said rubbing his shoulder. There was really no good way to word this. "Respawn chips are stored between the second and third vertebrae. I will assume that's where yours still is, since you're here talking to me. But I would probably have to surgically remove it." That was an unpleasant thought. He never liked dealing with dead bodies, and had never touched one that had been sitting around for god knew how long. But it would be worth it to save his ghostly companion for an eternity as a flickering image.

"Here's the thing, though," he said, turning to face Bryce, his face serious. "I should tell you now that the engineer most suited for bringing you back is on BLU, not RED." He sat up straight. "I don't know what your situation used to be, but right now there has been a ceasefire at the base for months, apparently even longer than I've been here. Both teams have largely become friendly with one another for mutual benefit." Henry was his friend, and personally Niklas trusted him, but he should probably pass this information off before he did anything else.
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:18 pm

Bryce nodded at the explanation of where the chip was, having already figured that out himself long before, mostly out of curiosity. At the mention that the Engineer was BLU...
He blinked, a brow quirking, and shrugged.
"Fine wi' me. Never cared much f'sides."
He had, once upon a time, but years in the employ of the Companies, surviving Arenas, finding friends in the oddest places... The idea of RED vs BLU had blurred and vanished into the people he knew and cared about vs those he didn't know or found to be quite awful people.
A BLU helping him with his current situation was not something he had issue with.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Puffin » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:41 pm

That was surprising. He blinked, having prepared himself for some hostility of some sort. But it was a good thing, after all. He smiled. "Do you want me to remove the chip now? Because I'll have to go back inside and get some tools..." And gloves. And a mask. This was going to be all kinds of gross, how many years had that corpse been there?
"Do you want me to bring in our engineer? He's closer and should probably be awake by now." Though Kurt had been more suited for combat and less for dealing with respawn, he would still likely be useful for imput.
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:09 pm

"Mmm, prob'ly better'n leavin' it. I mean, no time like the present, right?"
Bryce managed a small smile, a bit thin and strained, but he was better than he had been a few moments ago.
Pulling himself upright, the ghost started towards the bunker doors, a hand tugging on the hem of his vest as he crouched down next to the slim crack, just held open by a piece of debris. He didn't look in, he'd seen enough of that awful place to last several lifetimes...
"Ah, might be easier just t'whack the whole head off'n bother tryin'a work around the body."
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Puffin » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:28 pm

Niklas couldn't help but laugh at that last comment. A good thing he still had his sense of humor as well. "Well, I don't think so, actually. Hacking through a spinal column is harder than you think, and I certainly wouldn't do so with something as delicate as a chip inside, especially with brittle bones." One wrong slip and he could risk breaking the other vertebrae, and likely the chip as well.

He stood up, stretching a bit. "I'll be back in a little while. I'll leave the medigun in here for now, but it shouldn't take me too long." It wasn't like anyone else would be wandering in here. "Sit tight, okay?" And with that, he limped out of the warehouse, heading into the RED base to get his things and hopefully find Kurt.
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby 12 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 am

Kurt should have been awake by now, yes. Instead, he was face down in the common room couch, hat on the table next to a recently-finished bottle of beer that may or may not have had a few cigarette butts inside. This didn't really look all that great, but he didn't exactly care at the moment. He still felt downright terrible about the whole mess he'd made of the warehouse excursion, though he apparently hadn't wrecked it as bad as the BLUs had--their warehouse was entirely down, smoldering rubble and the smell of burnt flesh included. That was a small consolation. Still, he'd been stupid, and pretty much the entire team had paid for it. That was no good, even if he'd been rather swiftly punished for his idiotic move by the monster he'd woken up or something like that. The Engineer was entirely unaware that Niklas may have been looking for him, a bit too busy sleeping. Of course, there was no way he could've picked a spot that would've made him easier to find--no, he was too busy falling over on the nearest reasonably soft spot. Good luck waking him up, Niklas.
Lieutenant

Postby Puffin » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:05 pm

Niklas headed to the infirmary first, gathering up some tools and protective clothing that he would need for the unpleasant task of removing the chip from the old body, laying them out on the table and resolving to come back later on the way out. The easy part over, he set out on his search for the wayward engineer.

It took him quite some time before he reached the common room, having checked every room methodically for a sign of the Texan. "Well there you are! I was wondering where you had gotten off t--" he stopped abruptly as he approached, realizing that the engineer was out cold. He looked at the beer bottle and sighed. Kurt hadn't been taking the aftermath of the warehouse particularly well, and he had suspected that had as much to do with guilt as it did the loss of his hand. In retrospect, maybe Niklas shouldn'tve chewed him out quite so much.

But still, it was probably an opportunity to get the engineer to do what asked, though he certainly hadn't been abusing it. "Kurt. Kuuuuuurrrt. Kurt! Wake up!" He gently shook the engineer, then switched to roughly shaking the engineer, then to slapping him, all with no results. He sat on the middle of the engineer's back, pondering the best way to go about this situation. Body slams usually worked, but he needed the engineer to be up and walking and not in pain. That was an option made impossible by weight ratios alone.

Suddenly struck by an idea, he got off of his impromptu Texan chair and knelt down on the floor next to him, leaning in close, his head right next to the engineer's head. He took a deep breath.

"KURT LOOK OUT THERE'S A SPY!!!"
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby 12 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:18 pm

SPY.

He jerked upright, swinging towards Niklas's face with a fist that wasn't there anymore. He didn't register that it was Niklas and not a Spy, but that wasn't going to register for a bit yet. Kurt grabbed a handful of the Medic's shirt, jerking him close and staring directly at him, not apparently focusing. His eyes were rimmed with red and fairly bloodshot, and he'd managed to look even more tired than usual somehow. He hadn't shaved, that much was obvious. That had been effectively neutralized for the time being by the fact that he didn't want to slice his face up.

"You have ten seconds, Spy." he grumbled, voice an odd mix of drunk and half-asleep. "Then, you're gonna get tossed right into my Sentry. Got that?" The question was, what Sentry? Maybe you want to try doing something else, Nik.
Lieutenant

Postby Puffin » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:28 pm

Niklas barely dodged Kurt's stump, but he wasn't so lucky when the Engineer grabbed him with the hand that was actually there and brought him in close, growling into his face. Awake, but not all there. The medic roiled at the engineer's breath, a lovely mix of morning breath, beer, and cigarettes. All things that he absolutely hated the smell of.

He didn't say anything at first, instead pulling back his hand and slapping his assailant right across the face. "Sorry about that Kurt. Also I lied. There is no spy. But I do need your help."
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby 12 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:58 pm

Well, that had been perhaps a bit overly forceful. His head whipped to the side and he woke up, blinking with a confused expression on his face. He stared at the common room wall for a second, his grip on Nik's shirt momentarily tightening before he realized that that was Nik's shirt. He pulled his hand back like he'd been burned, though the movement was a little sluggish and resulted with him falling right back onto the couch. Kurt frowned up at Niklas, lightly poking the stinging side of his face with a finger. How'd that happen? Must've slept on it wrong or something. "I--heck, sorry, Doc. What? W's goin' on?" He stifled a yawn, soon after rubbing his eyes in an attempt to get more awake. The RED began patting around the table for his hat for a moment before realizing that he could, in fact, just look down and figure out where it was that way, scooping it up and putting it on when he'd gotten a decent grip on it.

"...n'what Spah? D'we even got one'a them?" That definitely bore asking.
Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to The Docks