Scavenging [Henry, semi-open]

Where everyone arrives. Arrival is not team-separate, and we trust you'll be able to figure out which you're on. We send supplies plus purchases every month, on the first. The original dock was destroyed, and the current one is still only half-finished, so you're dropped off a bit of a ways up the bank where its safer to land. Just don't get lost.
The team Warehouses also stand out near here, or at least used to. RED's is the only one still standing, while BLUs seems to have been burned to the ground. Or maybe exploded. Or both.

Scavenging [Henry, semi-open]

Postby 12 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:52 pm

[Note: This thread is backdated to April 22nd.]

Things really hadn't gone as planned. He'd managed to apparently rouse a terrible monstrosity that had proceeded to tear off his hand and injure his teammates--needless to say, Kurt was not exactly feeling the best about things right now. He was, to put it bluntly, a bit of dead weight right now, with his dominant hand entirely missing and all. That was definitely going to hurt his performance. While he'd been wallowing in a bottle of early-morning beer, he'd had an idea. What if the warehouses had some Gunslingers in there? Sure, they'd be old and would definitely need some repairs and upgrades, but they'd still be a hand, and that was what mattered the most right now. BLU warehouse had gone down in flames, but that also made it absolutely certain that there wasn't going to be anything like the abomination they'd fought roaming around there. As a result, he was reasonably sure that it would be sort of safe, though that may have also been the alcohol telling him that. He wasn't exactly sure. That also didn't really matter much, as it was a possibility and an opportunity, which was something Kurt was fully intent on taking advantage of.

And so he'd wandered out there, pistol tucked into his overalls and stump newly bandaged. It was still pretty early, and it was likely that the rest of his team was still asleep. Hopefully they were, anyway. While it wouldn't be easier to do this by himself, it would at least be less awkward--Kurt was more used to giving help than he was asking for it, too. He sort of felt like a burden, and doing that would really only make it worse. Besides, he could manage just fine on his own. He had his pistol, combat experience, and respawn. While there were glitches in the last one, it was still a nice fallback for when things were just really terrible and you were about to die. Things were, admittedly, kind of terrible right now, but still tolerable. Besides, he didn't think that going through respawn was really going to fix anything. It had been long enough to where the system had likely updated his template to reflect the missing hand, but he wasn't really sure how this particular system worked. Either way, it wasn't really worth risking a glitch just to find out. There were far too many things that could go wrong, and being that he was RED's only Engineer out here, things could potentially get a lot worse than they already were.

Idly picking through the debris, Kurt sighed, wondering just how long this would take. Was he even going to find a Gunslinger out here? It was always best to be optimistic, but when faced with all the wreckage, it was a little hard to be. Still, he'd much rather give it a shot instead of just throwing in the towel.
Lieutenant

Re: Scavenging [Henry, semi-open]

Postby Henry Adams » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:43 pm

In the wreckage of the warehouse, a lean figure was making a valiant attempt to clear debris. Tugging and pushing and occasionally hacking with a found hatchet, Henry slowly but surely made progress against the chaos, and was forming a nice pile of usable wood for his troubles. The mound of material was being shifted onto his faithful swamp-cart, in the mild hopes of getting it back to base in a timely fashion.

On a particularly victorious drop-off, having won against a particularly stubborn wooden beam, he noticed the approaching silhouette of the new RED engineer. Ever observant (cough cough), the particular lack of certain appendages caught his eye, and prompted a typical 'worried dad' response.

"JEEZUS CHRIST. What the HELL did you do to yourself?"
Henry Adams

Postby 12 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:52 pm

He jumped at the sudden voice, hand almost immediately finding its way to his pistol reflexively. It took a moment for him to figure out who it was, though--just Henry. He released the weapon and instead awkwardly fiddled with the bandages, looking anywhere but at the other Engineer. "I, uh. We had an...incident in our warehouse. We saw you folks headin' inta yours, an' we decided it was high time we cracked ours open too." That was some sort of explanation, but not really much of one, he knew. Dangit, this was not something he'd been anticipating.

"What're you doin' out 'ere?" he asked, shamelessly changing the topic. It wasn't likely to go unnoticed unless Henry had spontaneously dropped a few dozen IQ points, but it would do for right now. "Pullin' stuff t'gether f'r y'all's base, I'm assumin'...?" Gesturing to the pile, he couldn't help but wonder what all that was going to be used in. Either repairs or another weird project of the BLU's. Neither of those options would really come as a surprise.
Lieutenant

Postby Henry Adams » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:23 pm

"Oh, I have all sorts of things I need scrap for. Figure I'll grab everything useful and anything I don't need is spare for later. You're welcome to the pile, of course."

Setting himself down on a fallen beam, Henry gestured the half-crippled technician closer. Giving what was left of the Texan's arm a look of curiosity bordering on plotting, he gave a half-snort as the dust settled back into position.

"So what are you out for? Can't imagine you doing much hauling with one hand. Looks like an off-hand as well. That's gotta be rough."
Henry Adams

Postby 12 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:37 pm

He wasn't exactly surprised that hadn't worked; he couldn't say that it hadn't been worth a shot, though. "M'not really haulin' much'a anythin'. Came out here figurin' that there might be an ol' Gunslinger somewhere in 'ere, bein' 'at I doubt I could call in f'r one. Giant swamp monsters n' busted docks sorta prevent things from comin' in." Kurt took a seat on the same beam, doing his best not to look ridiculously awkward under the smaller Engineer's scrutiny. "Didn' really wanna be a bother, so I jus' came out 'ere on m'own. Guess that didn't quite work out as planned, huh?" He fiddled with the edge of his bandanna, still idly peering over the wreckage in the hopes that maybe what he was looking for would just show up. That would be so nice right now.

"Figures f'r my luck, though. First time in combat with this base an' m'dominant hand gets torn off by a zombie mashup." He laughed a bit at that, shaking his head. "Well, s'not really th' worst thing I've had happen. Reckon I c'n roll with th' punches on 'is." Even if he wasn't feeling quite as good as his optimism insisted he should, he could at least try to be cheerful. Mixed results.
Lieutenant

Postby Henry Adams » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:48 pm

"Well shit, I kinda figured you'd have one of those lying around like some techs I know. If that's all you need, I found a crate with a few of them before shit hit all of the fans. I pulled one out, but I already tinkered it up."

Scanning the wreckage, he tried to identify where-abouts he had found that box before.

"Hold up, maybe I can find it again."

Digging where he thought he remembered standing (more difficult than he'd thought it would be, with no walls to judge position from) he shoved and hacked through material until he found what he was looking for. Prying apart the shattered remains of the box itself, he extracted a slightly dented and charred, but altogether intact, model-1 Gunslinger. With a little bit of a dance, he waved it in the air and laughed.

"I FOOOUND IT. It's a righty, but I can swap that right around, if you give me the chance."
Henry Adams

Postby 12 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:03 pm

"Y'wha--" Kurt had very little confusion time before Henry hit the proverbial jackpot. He stood up immediately, a little more than half-jogging over to the BLU, managing to keep a relatively straight face all the while. Who cared if it was originally for the other hand? It was still a Gunslinger, regardless of how old it was. Sure, they still sort of creeped him out a little bit, but one of these things was infinitely preferable to having no hand at all. He took it from Henry briefly, inspecting it with a grin. It had seen better days, but considering what all had happened here, that wasn't surprising. Besides, it wasn't anything that some maintenance wouldn't fix.

"Yeah, yeah. I was thinkin'a how I'd be able t' do 'at m'self, but then there's th' obvious." Handing it back to the other Engineer, he straightened up a bit, mood significantly improved. "'Bout how long d'you think that'll take, anyhow? Not t' rush 'r anythin'. I c'n wait." He added the last parts quickly, hoping Henry wouldn't take offense to that. After another moment, he spoke up again, still grinning. "Thanks, pal. You got no idea how much trouble you done saved me here."
Lieutenant

Postby Henry Adams » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:35 pm

Giving the device a quick toss from hand to hand, Henry took a moment to run some internal calculations.

"Naw, it's fine. One more project can't hurt. Especially if it gets another worker on the force. I need to flip the fingers around. Maybe buff out the dents. Besides that we've got thirty-odd years worth of upgrades and updates to take care of. Figure on a week, if I devote a good chunk of time to it. If that sounds fair."

With a swift punch to the leg, he opened his compartment and tucked the hand inside for safekeeping. No use digging it out and making promises if he was just going to drop it in the swamp.

"Anything you'd like me to do to it while I've got it? a lot of miniaturization work has gone into this thing, so it's got loads of potential."
Henry Adams

Postby 12 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:51 pm

"I c'n deal with 'at. Still amazed you even managed t' find it." He laughed a but, watching as the hand was stowed away in a sort of unlikely spot. Man, that was still kind of cool. "I...what all were you thinkin'a doin'?" he asked, raising an eyebrow in apprehension. Kurt was pretty sure that these things weren't really meant to be modified, though he'd never gotten to do a lot with the older models. He'd had some experience with maintenance on a newer model thanks to the fairly relaxed off-hours socializing at his last base, but he hadn't thought about changing anything. Even then, he'd only watched. "I don' really think it needs too much messed with m'self. Jus' th' fingers set t' sorts an' all." The RED had no idea what all his fellow Engineer could get up to while working on something, but if the replacement leg was any indication, it would be better if he just nipped that in the bud. He didn't need rocket fingers or anything like that, after all.
Lieutenant

Return to The Docks