A Stranger in a Strange Land [Lan Feng intro, Closed]

Where everyone arrives. Arrival is not team-separate, and we trust you'll be able to figure out which you're on. We send supplies plus purchases every month, on the first. The original dock was destroyed, and the current one is still only half-finished, so you're dropped off a bit of a ways up the bank where its safer to land. Just don't get lost.
The team Warehouses also stand out near here, or at least used to. RED's is the only one still standing, while BLUs seems to have been burned to the ground. Or maybe exploded. Or both.

Re: A Stranger in a Strange Land [Lan Feng intro, Open]

Postby 12 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:51 pm

12 jerked, fumbling the scattergun and winding up dropping it right off. He obviously wasn't very good at handling guns, if that wasn't clear before. He stared at the Pyro for a few seconds before shaking his head, picking up the scattergun with a grimace. "Y--Uh, hi there. W-welcome to base, I guess? Didn't think we were gonna get any new people, but I'm not complainin'." Way to be bad at smalltalk, bird. The Scout dusted off the gun, briefly inspecting the weapon for any new scuffs. When his cursory examination yielded no new damage, he breathed a short sigh of relief, feeling slightly better about dropping it in the first place. At least it hadn't fired when it hit the ground--that would've just been terrible.

"So I'll just...lead you back or somethin'? It's just right over there." He pointed his thumb over his shoulder in the direction of the base, trying to muster some sort of smile for the Pyro's benefit. That would be good, wouldn't it? He hoped so.
Lieutenant

Postby Puffin » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:37 pm

Lan Feng hadn't noticed the gun until the scout had dropped the gun. It was probably a good thing, as he didn't have a chance to fire it in surprise, his embarrassment non withstanding. Instead, she just let out a small laugh and lifted up her mask just enough to leave her mouth uncovered. "It's okay. Sorry for surprising you, and thanks." She hadn't anticipated her transfer here either, truth be told. She simply nodded in agreement to his suggestion. It was only going to get darker, and she didn't want to hang around outside if there were less friendly things than the giant bird. She simply nodded at his suggestion, pulling her mask back down and following close behind him inside.
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Postby 12 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:42 pm

He didn't say anything as they went, opting instead for silence so he didn't say anything stupid like he figured he would. Well, they definitely had a new girl, if her voice was any indication. She didn't seem to want to take off the mask, though, which has fine with him. Personal comfort was important and all, anyway. What he didn't get is why she would've been sent here, but he didn't really want to ask--after all, they each had their reasons for being shoved out here, and some of them were likely private. It wouldn't do to be nosy or anything of the sort.

"Okay, so...here's the base? If you want, we can hold off on the tour until tomorrow. I can show you where the rooms are, though. That's...somethin' you probably need to know." No shit, Sherlock. "O--Other than that, it's not too hard to find your way around. Isn't really a big base, this one." He fidgeted, almost tugging on his collar before changing the gesture to just grabbing his other arm. Not that it made it any less awkward, but he figured that some measure of 'normalcy' would probably be the decent thing to be showing. Again, not that he was really normal. Putting forth the effort was still just common courtesy.
Lieutenant

Postby Puffin » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:58 pm

Lan Feng didn't mind the silence. This scout seemed quiet and more than a little shy anyway. Rather atypical for most scouts she had met, but it didn't trouble her. It wasn't until they were inside and in the lit building that she noticed the collar he was tugging on. That... was a little odd. Was that just for fashion effect, or a joke or something? She stared at it for a moment before forcing herself to avert her eyes. Staring was rude, after all (not that he could tell with her wearing the mask, but even so). He probably had a good reason for it anyway, and it probably wouldn't do to ask him so soon.

To his suggestion of a tour, she lifted up the bottom of her mask up again and smiled. "That sounds lovely, thank you." She paused for a minute, waiting for him to lead the way to wherever the barracks were. The base seemed about the same size as her old one anyway. It was awfully quiet, though. "So how many many people are on the team here?," she asked once they had started walking again.
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:08 pm

{don't mind the nosy doctor...}

Voices.
Close, but muffled. One familiar, one not.
A new recruit...?
It was these short thoughts that went through the dazed mind of a certain hybrid doctor in the moments before he realized he'd nodded off at his desk for the umpteenth time and had paper work stuck to his face with drool.
A few seconds worth of fumbling and grumbled cursing, and Gerhard shuffled towards the main doors of the Infirmary, cracking them slightly before he poked his head out, badly ruffled hair and all, trying not to yawn too wide as he rubbed at one eye.
"12...? Wer ist dein freund?"
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby 12 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:14 pm

To his surprise, he managed to not jump as much as he thought he would. 12 stared at Gerhard for a second, mouth working before he apparently remembered how to talk. "Oh, uh. N-new Pyro, just got here. Was wanderin' around outside while I was on patrol." The sensible thing to do had been to bring the Pyro back to base, especially being that she was a teammate and all. He really didn't want to think about what all could be roaming around out there during the night, just waiting to leap on a lost teammate that didn't know where they were going. The not-hybrid had actually gotten pretty good at finding his way around base, though not quite so much in the dark as he would've liked. He knew his patrol routes, and not a whole bunch past that.

"S--Pyro, Gerhard. Gerhard, Pyro. Introductions." Yeah, because that was totally how you did them. You don't even know the Pyro's name, bird. What are you doing.
Lieutenant

Postby Puffin » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:40 pm

Surprisingly, Lan Feng jumped a little more than 12 did. She was not expecting the medic to sitck his head in out of nowhere, especially not while speaking in a language she didn't speak a lick of. Of course, it took the scout's babbling for her to realize that she had been wearing her mask the entire time, and that she hadn't even introduced herself. A bit embarrassing, but she was just so used to wearing it, and she had gotten more than a little caught up in the events of being led through the woods by a giant bird.

Nonetheless, she took the opportunity to remove her mask completely, some of her long black hair falling loose from its tie. "Ye Lan Feng," she volunteered, looking back between the scout and medic and smiling. "But most people just call me Lan Feng or just Feng. Nice to meet the both of you."
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:29 pm

A moment staring blearily at the stuttering former-bird turned to staring blearily at the newly unmasked young lady, and it took a second for the Medic to realize that staring really wasn't the most polite thing to be doing, shaking his head to clear it as best he could before offering a hand, bare and cool but gentle despite the pronounced claws.
"Gerhard Melsbach, Head Medic. Pardon mich, I am a bit... Out of sorts. Fell asleep on mein papervork."
The smile he offered was small and bashful, but kind enough. Even with his sharp teeth.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby 12 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:52 am

Oh god. Those were claws, and those were pointy teeth. 12 leaned over to the Medic, keeping a fairly straight face. "...uh, Gerhard. You forgettin' somethin'...?" he mumbled quietly, giving the Medic a pointed look. If he wanted to be specific, he was missing his disguise! Not really the best thing! Lan Feng had just got here, and it would be better (in his opinion anyway) if there was a grace period before they were all 'oh by the way we have hybrids here'. How would she even react to that, anyway? The first time he'd stumbled on a new teammate unannounced, she'd been real close to trying to bash his head in with a bat. Where had Jane even gone? Now wasn't really the time to start wondering the mysteries of life, though. "12. I'm, ah, well. Sorta the only Scout around." As far as he knew, anyway. He hadn't seen a RED one roaming around in a long time, and he knew for a fact that there wasn't another on BLU.

"You're the first Pyro we've had in a while, though. I--That ought'a be nice. Gettin' a better spread of classes and all. The base might suck but everybody here's pretty alright." He realized that he was talking a bit fast, and he paused, taking a deep breath. "We got plenty of room, too. There's a few different places, if the bunks aren't r-really your thing." He shrugged a little, trying not to look worried over what reaction Feng might have to Gerhard. With any luck, it'd go well and she wouldn't freak out and bash him with any nearby object or something. That would just be awful.
Lieutenant

Postby Puffin » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:18 am

Those were claws. And sharp teeth. What? Lan Feng tried her best not to look bewildered, but even she couldn't stop herself from staring a bit and her mouth hanging open slightly. Maybe she should've expected something strange like this after coming face to face with a giant, literate bird, but even so.

Still, he did look genuine, and it likely wasn't his fault, so she swallowed her confusion and discomfort, instead just returning the smile and shaking the hand offered. "Nice to meet you, Gerhard. And you... 12?" That was a weird name. Not as weird as teeth and claws, but strange nonetheless. Maybe it was a nickname.

"I'm sure bunks will be fine for me," she said, regaining her composure a bit. "How many people are on this base? It seems quiet."
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:50 pm

It took a second for the doctor to realize what the former-bird was getting at, then noticed the new Pyro was staring and-
Oh. OH.
The TentaMedic quietly cleared his throat, praying his forgetfulness wouldn't cause their newest teammate to panic. He was used to pretty much everyone on base knowing about his hybridized nature, and had grown accustomed to not having to wear his disguise. A bad habit apparently...
"Vell, zhere ist not a lot of us, to be honest, but it ist a bit late. Most of zhem are ins bedt, I zhink. Zhat or ins zhe library, knowingk Madison."
Maybe if he just played this off, kept his tentacles on the other side of the door, this would go over well and then they could broach the topic later when everyone was well rested and less likely to freak out.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby 12 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:21 pm

"Seven, I think? That's includin' you and me, here. We, um...used to have a lot more, though. It's kinda...empty, now." He pulled a face. And here we were with how many people were gone again. That thought was never going to be anything but terrible. "As you might guess from that, there's, uh. There's a lot of open rooms and the like." Some still with belongings in them. They probably should clear those out, but then again, it was better to just leave them where they were in case their owners came back some day. Had his stuff been left alone when he went missing? Huh. 12 hadn't really thought to ask about that. It had never really been relevant, anyway. Maybe he'd bother Gerhard about it sometime later, when there wasn't a new person to introduce and everything.

Snapping his attention back to the current situation, 12 almost breathed a sigh of relief at Lan Feng's lack of freaking out. Sure, there was some surprise evident, but there wasn't any screaming or hitting or running, and that was both a start and a very good thing. "W--This is also kind of a weird base. We're all out here for whatever reason, so we're a bit of a mashup as far's classes go. There also hasn't been any battles, so we haven't gotten to test how that would all work together. Annnnd we kinda have a ceasefire thing goin' on with the REDs, too." That was another pill entirely. Though he'd gotten used to it, it still sort of rang uncomfortable to him in a way. "They're okay. Most of 'em, anyway."
Lieutenant

at this point i just wanna see how awkward i can make things

Postby Puffin » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:31 pm

"Seven? That's all?" She asked, furrowing her brow. That seemed like a conspicuously low number, especially considering the size of the base. It wasn't the biggest, but it could easily hold more than seven, at least from what she could see. Lan Feng did manage a small smile at 12's mention of the base being 'weird', as he put it. She had gotten a sense of that from the giant bird.

"Maybe I should just put my things away first? If it's late, then I can wait until tomorrow to ask qu--" she was cut off by a loud THUD from upstairs, followed by an angry voice. "What was that?" she asked, more than a little rattled.

She soon had her answer, as the initial thud was followed by hurried footsteps, and before long Madison came running down the hall, blood streaming out of her nose, which looked slightly offset. She seemed largely unaffected by it, instead taking advantage of Gerhard sticking his head out the door to start running her mouth.

"Aw, man, Ger, you won't believe what jus' happened. So I was up tryin' t' get a book, an' it was one of de ones way up high, yeah? An--" she stopped suddenly, pausing for a moment before looking down at the new arrival, finally taking notice. She raised up her hand in greeting. "Hi."

Lan Feng was completely flabbergasted. "H-hello...?"
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:16 pm

The Medic was caught off guard for all of two seconds before he noticed the blood and promptly went into Mother Hen mode.
"Madison! Was zhe Holle-?!"
He pushed the door open, forgetting he was supposed to be keeping the whole hybrid thing under wraps to keep from spooking the new person in his rush to tend to the female Heavy, pulling a kerchief from his coat pocket to clean up the mess.
"Between you und Henry, mein Gott! Hold zhat zhere, bitte, I'll get you a vashclozh."
Gerhard darted off into his Infirmary, muttering crossly about idiot Engineer who had no sense of self preservation and occasionally clumsy Heavies as he let the doors hang open, moving to a nearby cabinet to get not just a washcloth, but some pain medication and a small first aid kit in case Maddie's nose was broken as well as bleeding.
He had really fallen into the role of fretting nurse over the past several months...
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby 12 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:14 pm

"UH--" 12's eyes were wide as he slid over to block Gerhard from view, glancing over his shoulder every few seconds to make sure he was covering as much as he physically could. He gave Madison a short wave, quickly turning it into an insistent gesture to get in the office. "Um, h--How's about I take you to the, uh, the bunks? Yeah? G-get you settled down and all and uh yeah. That." While the Pyro had handled the claws and teeth just fine, 12 really wasn't sure how well she'd take TENTACLES EVERYWHERE. That was generally something that would need to be brought in slowly and when there wasn't any pointy objects or weapons around, for safety's sake. "They're not that bad, really, but some of them are kinda dingy and I'm sure we can get you one that's nice!" He was fully aware that he was talking incredibly fast at this point, trying to shuffle Lan Feng along towards the barracks and distract her at the same time. Needless to say, he was doing kind of a terrible job of making himself understood, let alone actually doing what he meant to.
Lieutenant

Postby Puffin » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:14 am

Madison couldn't help but pout a bit, though she did accept the handkerchief offered, holding it over her nose. "Aw shit, Gerhard, it ain't not'in' serious." She had no idea why 12 was being so pushy though, especially with what looked like a new teammate around. "If y' want me to go inside, you're gonna hafta get outta de way," she said, gently pushing the scout aside and heading in.

And of course, it was in that brief moment that Lan Feng caught sight of... were those tentacles? It certainly seemed that way. Her eyes widened in surprise, but she almost immediately looked away, allowing 12 to push her along, though he was talking so quickly that he was nigh unintelligible. Surely she was imagining things? "Ah, yes, that sounds like a good idea, please show me where they are..." she said when she managed to figure it out, eager to excuse herself from the situation.

"Aww, leavin' already?" Madison said, a little disappointed. "Bye, see you later!" she said, sticking her head out the door one last time and waving at the rapidly retreating pair. Lan Feng at the very least managed a shaky smile and a little wave.
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:51 am

"Madison! Kommen Sie hier! I need to make sure you did not break somezhing!"
She was probably fine, being the big tough girl she was, but Gerhard didn't want to chance it.
They'd had too many incidents in the past few months...

{End of the arc with Gerhard and Maddy I think, since this is about Lan Feng}
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby 12 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:08 pm

"Yeah, uh, s--sorry about that. We've kinda...we're weird, like I said? Gerhard's great, though. Don't need to worry about him. The Heavy's Madison, she's fine too. Kinda not surprised she hurt herself, though." He'd figured out that he'd been talking too fast at this point, and was, thankfully, speaking at a slower pace. Wouldn't do to confuse her even more, would it? "Bunks aren't too far ahead, though. Do you...need any help carryin' that, by the way...?" 12 gestured to Feng's luggage, not sure if she needed the help. She seemed to have it under control, but it never hurt to be nice, anyway. Besides, that might actually make this go a little faster--not that he was rushing this along for any reason. It was just late, and it was entirely likely that Lan Feng would've had to travel here on her own means, being that the docks were still out. That wouldn't have been a fun trip in the best of times, and the fact that it was late didn't help at all. Who knows what all she could've run into out there? Giant monstrosities like that huge turtle they'd killed, zombies, whatever. The Scout didn't really think she did, judging from the fact that she hadn't come in hurt or anything like that, but y'know, it could happen. Wouldn't have been the first time.
Lieutenant

Postby Puffin » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:05 pm

"Oh, they both seem... nice..." Well, they did. Gerhard seemed very nice despite his animalistic features, and Madison had seemed friendly enough despite being rather strange. They would just take some getting used to, she supposed. The tentacles and claws probably moreso than just someone who happened to be both very tall and very eccentric.

She followed closely behind 12 as they traveled through the halls, taking in the surroundings as they went. A modest sized base, but it seemed like it had pretty much everything they would need. She smiled and nodded at 12's request, handing him the smaller of the two bags gratefully. "Thank you," she said, her load lightened.

She quickened her pace a bit. "So besides those two, what other classes are on the team?"
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby 12 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:32 pm

"They are, really. We just kinda caught Gerhard at a bad time, if that makes any sense? I--hn. Nevermind." He sighed, taking the bag with no complaint. "Uh, other than them, we've got...two Engineers, now? I think the new guy's an Engie. Not sure. Then Gerhard's our doc, you already know what Madison is, annnd it might be kinda obvious that I'm a Scout. One of our Engies is Henry, and he's somethin' else. In a good way." Pausing for a moment to collect his thoughts, he tried counting off who else was still there. "There's a Soldier, not sure what his name is, Adrian's a Demo, and I'm pretty sure I miscounted. Small team either way." He shrugged, settling down a bit. Well, she'd taken it pretty okay, so maybe she wouldn't freak out when he was back to normal. Or maybe it was just going to be even worse! Damn it. There wasn't really a lot of ways to tell, but maybe he'd tell her ahead of time so that she wouldn't get scared or something when it actually happened. 12 really didn't like scaring his teammates, whether it was intentional or not (thought it was almost always unintentional).

As they went up the stairs to the barracks, 12 stopped, looking over at the entrance to the women's part. "Um. The bunks are divided up, so. I can still help you put your stuff all out, but I'd rather not hang around all that long in there, if that makes any sense?" He fidgeted, offering a sheepish expression. "S-sorry."
Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to The Docks