The Long Walk [Intro, open.]

Where everyone arrives. Arrival is not team-separate, and we trust you'll be able to figure out which you're on. We send supplies plus purchases every month, on the first. The original dock was destroyed, and the current one is still only half-finished, so you're dropped off a bit of a ways up the bank where its safer to land. Just don't get lost.
The team Warehouses also stand out near here, or at least used to. RED's is the only one still standing, while BLUs seems to have been burned to the ground. Or maybe exploded. Or both.

The Long Walk [Intro, open.]

Postby 12 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:24 pm

For once, Kurt's optimism had been punched in the face. The train that RED had sent out to deliver him to his new base had stopped far from the base itself, and he'd had to walk the rest of the way there--alone. It was uncomfortably warm in the swamp, but he could deal with that; the humidity, not so much. Grumbling to himself the entire time, he adjusted his pack and kept walking down the side of the tracks, the bottom edges of his overalls rolled up to avoid getting them covered in whatever gunk might be covering the landscape. The Engineer had lit up a cigarette somewhere along the way, and it was just about halfway done now--great. He had another pack tucked away, yes, but he'd probably have to ration them out when he got to base proper. This place didn't really seem like a spot that got a lot of supply traffic...

After much more walking and even more talking to himself, the silhouette of Swamp Rat finally reared its...fairly dingy head, and he paused to get a better look, swiping his goggles off his eyes and completely ignoring the red rings left behind. So this was where he'd be staying, hm? Well, it didn't look too bad, all things considered--still intact, if a bit run-down, and the buildings seemed to be sound if they'd lasted however long they'd been here. And at least everybody there was ALIVE and hopefully not a batshit stalker! Hopefully! The debriefing he'd been given had at least been sort of positive, and he was, more or less, ready to start assimilating into the rest of the team. It shouldn't be too hard to get to know these people, even if there were a lot of them, according to the roster he'd been shown. The numbers just made it all the better, and the Engineer tried going over the list as best he could remember. There were...shoot, how many people? He didn't quite remember the full count, but there was supposed to be another Engineer that he could talk to, at least. The thought of working out more contraptions with another mind to bounce ideas off of was nice, and he smiled a little at that. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad after all.

As he neared the base, Kurt took a last drag of his cigarette, grinding it under his heels. He was pretty glad that he'd taken the time to break in the uniform boots before this, as this walk wasn't anywhere near as bad as it could've been. Still, he was pretty sure he'd have a few blisters from this at the very least. Nothing to worry about, though. The prospect of being near other people brightened his mood, and Kurt even managed to whistle as he strolled along the water's edge, completely and utterly oblivious to the fact that there just might be something unpleasant in there. HQ hadn't said anything about swamp monsters! As far as he was concerned, this was just your average murky mosquito-infested lake in the middle of an overly humid swamp. Everything was fine.
Lieutenant

oh hi, just invading every thread ever

Postby Tentacles » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:48 pm

Deep in the swamp, a hunter stalked.

Well, sort of. More like foraging really. It was nothing to be ashamed of. Well, it sort of was. It wasn't his fault this body's metabolism demanded so much protein. Fuck maybe he was even onto something. A cup of crickets has more protein then a pound of beef. Most of the lower invertebrates were healthier to eat then the higher mammals. At least that's what he read in one of the science books in the library before he tore it to pieces for kindling...

James looked up frantically at the sound of lackadaisical whistling, a fat night crawler's tail hanging out of his mouth. Someone was indeed moving just past the tree line, right next to the water's edge...

The amphibian hastily sucked down the rest of the crawler and broke into a frantic run, waving his arms. "HEY! GET AWAY FROM THE WATER!"

Of course the hungry hungry hippo that stalked these parts hadn't let the new Engineer go completely unnoticed, and a rapidly approaching bump of water was speeding toward the shore, a stripped back just visible under the black water.
Tentacles
Colonel

Location: Falling apart // Creeping around // BLU base // Trying not to get shot in the head

Re: The Long Walk [Intro, open.]

Postby 12 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:11 pm

For the time being, Kurt hadn't noticed the approaching horror of science, and was instead looking around and completely not paying attention. The strange scenery of the swamp was actually quite distracting to a man used to deserts and neighborhoods, and he hadn't noticed James at first. The shouting was missed, for the most part, but the voice got him to turn around. Finally, another person! He grinned and waved, slowing his pace just a little. What was this guy so worked up about? Maybe it had something to do with what he'd yelled--something something water. What was the big deal with the water--

It was right then that he looked over and saw it.

"JESUS WHAT--" He would not be ashamed to admit that he flat-out bolted, one hand clamped onto his hat to keep it from flying off, and the other constricting one of the straps of his pack in an iron grip. His heart had since made a new home in his throat and was, apparently, quite comfortable there, and Kurt was trying all the while not to slip in the swamp murk and wind up at the mercy of whatever that thing was. It was approaching fast, it looked very large, and he really doubted that it was just a friendly mutant swamp-version of Flipper coming up to say hi and do tricks. He didn't even have any fish on him to test the theory. The Engineer most certainly had no intention of sticking around to see what it looked like beyond having stripes, and the quicker he got away, the better. For once, he was actually making decent time! A surprise, though...not really much of one, given the situation. Anybody could run like an Olympic champion when there were huge nasty things charging straight toward them from swamp lakes. He hadn't fallen over or stumbled yet, and he was thanking all his lucky stars that that hadn't happened. Maybe he'd manage to get far enough away without slipping!
Lieutenant

Postby Tentacles » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:26 am

Whatever had been speeding through the water suddenly vanished without fanfare, a flurry of bubbles rising to the surface as the mass descended. Not worth it. Too far from the shoreline. Should have struck earlier. Idiot.

"Hey, slow the fuck down, that thing doesn't fly. At least not yet." the salamander laughed nervously. Who was this dense asshole anyway? Definately a stranger, but a RED from the looks of things. "Welcome to Swamp Rat." he added dryly. "Get used to running for your goddamn life."
Tentacles
Colonel

Location: Falling apart // Creeping around // BLU base // Trying not to get shot in the head

Postby 12 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:59 pm

"I take it--that kind'a thing happens a lot 'round these parts...?" Kurt panted, still on-edge even if the thing had gone away. Things like this were exactly why he didn't like deep water--just look at the kind of horrors that could be waiting down there. The Engineer frowned, removing his hat and getting it back to sorts before replacing it on his head. That being done, he turned his attention on James, an eyebrow raising gradually as he stared. This one was certainly...interesting? He looked like a salamander, but that couldn't be possible. He'd heard about the strange things respawn (and crazy Medics) could do, but those were simply stories, events exaggerated to extremes and given a good veneer of white lies. Kurt rubbed his eyes, thinking that maybe he was just seeing things. Lack of water, perhaps? It hadn't been that long, though. Hmm. What if it was a costume or something? That possibility was actually fairly amusing, but James looked far too realistic for that. Unless somebody down here knew the best movie magic possible, that most likely wasn't the cause. And besides, why would you even dress up like that down in a swamp? It just didn't make sense.

Abruptly, he snapped his fingers and extended his hand. "Shoot, where're my manners. Kurt Clayton, Engineer. As you might'a guessed from th' getup, anyhow." After a pause, he continued, giving a sheepish grin. "I hope you're a RED, here. Let's jus' say th' company ain't real fond'a me right now, an' associatin' with a BLU might be th' nail in th' coffin." He chuckled, appearing far more relaxed than his words might suggest. Really, he wasn't too terribly worried about his employment status with RED. He'd worked long enough to get a pretty good nest egg built up, so he was fine if they did decide to terminate him. Now, if they tried to literally terminate him, that would be a different story.
Lieutenant

staring is ruuuuuude kurt

Postby Tentacles » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:32 pm

The slippery arsonist smirked sardonically. He had seen that look before; funny, a couple of months ago he would have been insulted. This place sort of put things into perspective a little bit though. His nictating membranes fell down over his bulbous eyeballs briefly. This guy was probably already having a bad day; walking to the goddamn base, nearly getting attacked by that whatever-you-call-it and now probably thinking he was hallucinating from the swamp gas. Oh fuckin' well.

"Things like that happen sorta regularly. At least lately. James. RED Pyro." it was fortunate this Engineer had both gloves still...he didn't really feel like explaining that his skin could cause boils and death (not to mention explaining the whole BLU situation either) at the moment. The hand that met Kurt's was woefully thin and sticky. "Engineer, huh? We could really use one right now. Come on; walk with me, before that fucking thing evolves some legs and walks up on land."
Tentacles
Colonel

If my apostrophe key broke, Kurt would be screwed

Postby 12 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:35 pm

Dang, he was tiny. Kurt managed to mask his surprise at just how frail the offered hand seemed to be, the idea that the dully-percieved stickiness could be something other than moisture not even occurring yet. The other's smirk came at an odd moment; maybe he'd inadvertently said something amusing. Either that, or his teammate--James, he mentally corrected--had been reminded of some event. It wasn't like he would be able to puzzle that out, so the Engineer shrugged off the line of thought, instead focusing on actually communicating with his fellow RED. Words were fairly beneficial to doing that.

"That's great, there. Oh, not th' part about th' thing down inna lake," he added quickly, rubbing the back of his neck with his other hand. "You're RED. Which means you ought'a know th' best way down t' base, an' I really would 'preciate bein' inside. Sorry f'r rushin', but this whole stroll wasn' exactly a fun n' wonderful thing f'r me. Generally, hikes ain't bad, but this'd be an exception." The comment about his class did spark a bit of curiosity, and Kurt fixed James with a more than mildly confused look. "Thought y'all had an Engie already? He jus'...not doin' 'is job or somethin'?" A legitimate question. If anyone would be able to answer, it'd be a RED who'd been out here longer. Kurt idly wondered who out of their team had been the first to arrive, though the thought didn't get much more attention past that. He'd find out soon enough, anyway.
Lieutenant

Postby Henry Adams » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:01 pm

"Engineer, HO!" Deep in the swamp, a creeping creation made it's merry way. Because of a string of recent upgrades, it's pilot had been able to pinpoint the location of new respawn-chips on his tracker, and, through a series of hacks and bribes, could now access company files from the databases and read up on their new guests. Through the brush came a mechanical oddity that far outpaced his recent work, as what appeared to be a steel slab with chairs welded to it cut through the foliage on wheels made only of metal spikes, less rolling and more dragging the weight along the ground.

"I hear you boys need a lift back to what we laughingly refer to as civilization out here!" In his trademark navy-blue jeans and camo t-shirt, Henry was the epitome of the nuetral faction as he waved to the aforementioned party. Having only one hand to control, one of the two throttles keeping the cart on track momentarily slipped, sending it into a slow, arching spiral. "WOAH NELLY." Catching the throttle and aiming it in the general direction of his destination, he brought it to a stop at the two men's feet.

"And how are we all today, gentlemen?"
Henry Adams

the tag that took almost a month

Postby Tentacles » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:48 am

What was a good way to say that no, the other Engineer was totally doing his job, its just that he's vanished without a fucking trace? "Well...something like that. A lot of our team has abandoned the base, or gone missing...hell, I didn't even meet our original Engineer. He's just on the roster still, buu----"

What.

What the fuck was that.

The fuck is this?

Seriously what the flying shit is --- WHY ISN'T IT STOPPING?! The salamander's instincts took over, and he launched himself over a fallen log to avoid the whirling death machine.

He did want to give the BLU a piece of his mind, about team seperation and how his folliage eating monster truck was ruining all the good prey hotspots and also possibly a good poisoning if he could get close enough.

All he could manage was a dry, airy hiss.
Tentacles
Colonel

Postby 12 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:31 am

"What? That's--" In that moment, he felt a bit sick. How does most of a team go missing? He'd never heard of that before. What if they had sent him down to a pretty much deserted base or something? Just how many people were even there, still? "I--How long's that been happenin'?" he asked, just barely managing to get that out before Henry appeared.

The swamp tractor got less of a reaction than James's response to it did, Kurt just staring at the Pyro with a decidedly confused expression. He opened his mouth to say something but thought better of it, shaking his head and redirecting his attention back to Henry. The swamp-tractor earned an approving nod, the RED stepping forward to take a closer look. From the looks of it, this thing was built from scrap; another odd thing. Didn't this base have any supplies? Just how wrong was his debriefing, anyway?

"Uh, shoot. Maybe. Th' walk down 'ere was plenny long enough." He frowned, fidgeting a bit. The Engineer had a lot of questions, but now didn't really seem like the time--he would have to find James later and try to get as much information as possible out of him. "So, who're we thankin' f'r th' lift, hm?"
Lieutenant

Postby Henry Adams » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:58 pm

Stepping down from the platform, Henry caught the fork of two metal toes on an uplifted spike of a wheel, and proceeded to shoulder-roll onto the ground. Surprised at his own ability to catch himself, he stood up and brushed himself off. "Holy christ. That first step, man..."

With his signature forced hand-shake, he smiled at the man and gave him a hearty pat on the shoulder. "Henry Adams. Blu researcher and part-time engineer. You have no clue how glad I am to have another scientist in the swamp."

It occured briefly that not everyone was as forthcoming about these things as he was, he decided to add an addendum; "In light of recent events, things have gotten a little co-ed around here, so I hope you don't mind purple."
Henry Adams

Postby 12 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:10 pm

Aw, hell. A BLU. While that wasn't nece--okay, okay, maybe it was kind of a bad thing. Still, the explanation did provide a little bit of reassurance. "You alright there, pal?" Kurt managed to get that out before Henry was shaking his hand, and he blinked for a moment at how quickly the other--Researchgineer was able to get up. He hadn't noticed the metal leg at first, but now it was apparent; was something weird about this base...? It did kind of feel a little strange, to put it mildly. "Uh, well, I guess 'at's okay? So long as RED don' show up, that is. I rather like keepin' my job." This much was true. "An' hell, I'm glad there's another Engie around. Got a little nervous when James over the--yeah he's still over there--tol' me about all th' people what went missin'." He'd glanced over his shoulder to make sure the Pyro was where he'd hidden himself in the meantime, a bit more comfortable when it was clear he was still there. At least he wasn't outnumbered as far as team color went right now!

"So, um. 'Zat whole thing jus' a RED phenomenon, or is 'at happenin' over on BLU too...?" Kurt almost didn't want to know, but it should probably be asked.
Lieutenant

Postby Henry Adams » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:38 pm

"I wouldn't worry about getting caught breaking rules. I haven't seen so much as a single notice from either company since I arrived." Climbing back onto the traktor, he sat himself down and tried to get comfortable. "Look, I'll give you the run-down now, so you we don't have any nasty surprises. Supplies are short, teams are small, and BOTH of the companies have decided that our little corner of the world is best used as a testing ground for eldritch monstrosities. I really, REALLY, wish I could say I was joking, but the leg doesn't lie, and I'm still hunting the bastard who took the original model."

Henry tried to think of the people who had appeared on base, and equate them to the number of people currently here. Not many missing that he knew, but from what he'd been told, the answer was easy.

"Dissappearences are pretty universal around here. We've found a few, a few have wandered back, and there's a special case or two that returned through extreme circumstances. Frankly, we barely have a full squad between both bases, so we mix talents where we have to. I've been the only technician on base since I got here a few months ago, and the list of things that still need to be repaired could choke a horse, not even mentioning the projects I've had to slap together just to keep us alive in the mean time. Frankly, my loyalty to the corporate monkies is unquestionably absent, and I'll take and give help wherever I can."
Henry Adams

Postby 12 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:11 pm

"I'm personally in a p'sition where it's better 'f I don' break any rules. I already messed with RED enough, though c'mpletely unintentionally." The mention of 'eldritch monstrosities' did earn an eyebrow raise, and he paused before taking a seat in the swamp tractor, brushing a bit of dirt off of his overalls. "Kinna like whatever 'at was inna lake over 'ere? Didn't get a real good look at it, mind you, but it sure didn't seem like somethin' you'd usually find in places like 'is." The chair wasn't particularly comfortable, but Kurt figured he could deal with it. Anything was preferable to another stint of hiking, that much was certain.

"At least some people've gone ahead an' came back? Reckon that helps morale an' th' like." A small shrug. "An' as far as what needs fixin' goes, I can lend a hand with 'at, no problem. Y'said RED wasn't steppin' in at all, an' seein' as I had t' walk most'a th' way here, I'm inclined t' believe ya. So you got my wrench where y'need it, buddy."
Lieutenant

Return to The Docks