Damage Assessment

Where everyone arrives. Arrival is not team-separate, and we trust you'll be able to figure out which you're on. We send supplies plus purchases every month, on the first. The original dock was destroyed, and the current one is still only half-finished, so you're dropped off a bit of a ways up the bank where its safer to land. Just don't get lost.
The team Warehouses also stand out near here, or at least used to. RED's is the only one still standing, while BLUs seems to have been burned to the ground. Or maybe exploded. Or both.

Damage Assessment

Postby Henry Adams » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:44 am

"WHAT THE BLOODY FUCK HAPPENED TO MY DOCKS??" It was finally time for henry to get around to fixing those old things, and he had spent so much effort gathering the material he needed, only to find that it would be of no use.

"I swear to god, if this was another monster, I'm going on a xenocidal rampage RIGHT. THE FUCK. NOW. Do those things understand how much got-damn work I put into keeping this place together? I spend all day toiling away under a hot sun, baking in humidity, and the work it takes me weeks to finish, they destroy in ONE GOD DAMN DAY!"

Anyone observing would come to the completely reasonable conclusion that Henry was stomping around, throwing a fit, and ranting to no-one in particular. For the most part, they would be right, except that he had a specific target in mind for his rant. Or rather, a target so general as to be all-encompassing, as it was the universe itself that he had just decided to yell at over the carnage now displayed before him.

"Lightning, rain and fire take me, I am NOT PAYED TO PUT UP WITH THIS CRAP!"
User avatar
Henry Adams
Moderator
 
Posts: 405
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:27 am
Location: Almost universally in the Dev-Lab.

problème engineer?

Postby Tentacles » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:26 am

The swamp had been relatively quiet since its initial arrival...probably with good reason. It was foolish to expect anyone to even dare approach the water's edge after the introduction it had.

So the BLU Engineer kicking up a ruckus at the water's edge where remnants of the docks once stood definitely attracted its attention. The black water rippled as it was disturbed by a great force just beneath the surface, its tiger stripped back visible. The one ton monster was heading for the shoreline with incredible speed, determined not to miss the opportunity for a free lunch this time.
User avatar
Tentacles
Colonel
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:10 pm
Location: Falling apart // Creeping around // BLU base // Trying not to get shot in the head

Re: Damage Assesment

Postby Henry Adams » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:52 pm

The sight of a small island moving towards him was somewhat off-puting. It was striped, oddly colored, and reminiscent of a sand-bar covered in sick. And then it had teeth. Bloody hell, WHY DOES THAT ISLAND HAVE TEETH?? He ran. Scrambling back from the docks, he only made it a few feet befoer he tripped over the five-hundred pounds of lumber he had carted over with him.

I always knew my work would be the death of me. Never had I considered that carpentry would be the particular job that did it, though. Crab-walking backwards to put as much distance between himself and the water as possible, he flipped and ran on hands and feet, much like a frightened chimp, praying to anyone who would listen that he made it away in time.
User avatar
Henry Adams
Moderator
 
Posts: 405
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:27 am
Location: Almost universally in the Dev-Lab.

Re: Damage Assesment

Postby Puffin » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:42 pm

Madison had heard Henry yelling about something. He sounded angry, which made her a bit nervous. She had never seen the man angry before. Or unhappy, really. He got serious that one time, but it didn't really last. Well, time to go check it out and help him out before he burst a blood vessel.

She wandered outside the base at a leisurely pace, following the sound of his voice. She wasn't prepared for what she saw. The dock was all but gone, like it had been hit by a truck. And there was Henry, shouting angrily and stomping around like a crazy person. She couldn't blame him for being mad, really.

But when a mysterious shape began to move in the water, the initial answer of "who did it?" seemed to be answered. It wasn't the monster they killed, was it? No, that thing died, she saw it with her own eyes, she watched that thing sink into the swamp. But then what the hell was this thing? It looked even bigger and meaner than the last one, if that was even possible. She bolted towards her friend when she saw him fall down, calling his name. She nearly tripped herself trying to clamber over the mess of wood, but managed to keep her footing. "Hold on!" she said, grabbing him by the wrists and beginning to pull him away.
User avatar
Puffin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Re: Damage Assesment

Postby Tentacles » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:59 pm

No, no no no no no no. It would not be denied this time. Its mission was singular and straight forward, and it simply refused to fail.

The black waters parted as it heaved itself up out of the swamp.

It was like something out of a nightmare. A spaded head emerged first, easily the length of a human body. Its maw was long, filled with hundreds of wicked looking, backwards hooked teeth. Its slitted eyes were trained on the engineer with a fierce, hungry intelligence.

Another heave and it was up on the shoreline, flippers digging into the mud. It was fortunate the Heavy had arrived to aid the Engineer, otherwise the beast might have had a sporting chance at killing Henry outright. Instead, it snapped down on his left leg, jerking its head back.

One way or the other, it wasn't leaving the docks today on an empty stomach.
User avatar
Tentacles
Colonel
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:10 pm
Location: Falling apart // Creeping around // BLU base // Trying not to get shot in the head

Re: Damage Assesment

Postby Henry Adams » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:18 pm

Henry was somehwat surprised at how little he could feel. he had been in shock before, so he knew the effect it had, but surely getting chomped like that would be at least a little painful, right? At the very least it wouldn't be enough that he would lose all feeling in his leg...

Wait, what? What's going on here? Why is there no leg there? I distinctly remember there being a leg there not five minutes ago...

"YOOOOOU SONUVAMOTHERFUCKING BITCH! I'LL RIP YOUR THROAT OUT, YOU OVERGROWN FLEABITTEN PATCH OF DEVIL-SPIT!! I'LL CUT YOU OPEN AND TAKE IT BACK BY FUCKING FORCE!!"

Kicking and flailing, Henry continued to come up with various ways to make the beast observe it's own intestinal tract, up until he began to get woozy, and finally passed out.
User avatar
Henry Adams
Moderator
 
Posts: 405
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:27 am
Location: Almost universally in the Dev-Lab.

yo i hope that shit didnt sever his femoral artery

Postby Puffin » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:28 pm

Madison was cursing the fact that she couldn't run faster as soon as that thing surfaced its big ugly head out of the water. She had grabbed a hold of him exactly at the moment when the effort was too late. She screamed in frustration and fear as the monster closed its jaws around the engineer's leg. With a horrible, wet snap, the limb was gone. Madison felt her stomach turn over, but nonetheless seized the opportunity to pull the screaming engineer over her shoulder in a fireman's carry, away from the water.

She stumbled away from the mess over the debris as far away as she dared before laying the poor man down on the ground. She immediately began tearing strips from the bottom of her shirt and tied them tight around the stump, trying everything to stop the bleeding. Oh, man, this was bad. "Gerhard? Anyone? MEDIIIC!"
User avatar
Puffin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Re: Damage Assesment

Postby Tentacles » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:29 pm

Its jaws bloodied, the beast started to slide back down the bank of the swamp. It couldn't pull itself up any further, and at last, it had warm flesh in its belly.

As the Engineer screamed at the monster, it kept its yellow eyes trained on him, as if it listened and understood. If it was insulted, however, it definitely did not show.

The massive creature disappeared back into the murky depths as quickly as it had appeared.
User avatar
Tentacles
Colonel
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:10 pm
Location: Falling apart // Creeping around // BLU base // Trying not to get shot in the head

Re: Damage Assesment

Postby 12 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:17 pm

As if the initial bout of yelling hadn't been bad enough, there had been more. When he'd recognized the voice doing the yelling, that had really unnerved 12; since when did Henry yell? He sounded pretty angry, too...maybe he should just head back inside? From his perch on the roof, the hybrid could see what was going on pretty clearly, and he couldn't yet decipher just what had happened. He really didn't like hearing all this yelling, and whatever got Henry mad was obviously something big. Out of habit, 12 was already going over what he could have done--and then he did the closest thing to a facepalm he could manage. He really had to stop thinking like that. It probably didn't have anything to do with him, and Henry wouldn't just rage at everybody, either. The Scout was perched on the edge of the roof closest to the docks, wings tucked close and stretching as far as he could without risking his balance in order to get a slightly better view of what was happening. Everything seemed pretty routine, until he noticed the thing moving in the water, and by then, it was already too late.

Whatever it was, it was huge. Was it something similar to the turtle-beast that had attacked them when they'd been retrieving Enrico's chip? Upon closer inspection, yes, yes it was. Henry had made a break for it, and that was when 12 took off, pushing off the roof and spreading his wings to catch the air. Madison had gotten out there, and she was pulling the Engineer away--but not in time, it seemed. The thing got one of his legs, and that was it. At least some of his training had been somewhat useful, and 12 locked on to this new swamp monster, jaw clenched tight. The hybrid pulled his wings close and dove, fully intending to try making a pass on injuring the creature--it sank back into the water before he was close enough, earning a sharp curse thrown at the spot it had last been. He broke out of his maneuver to redirect himself towards the shore where his teammates were, the shouts for Medic ringing loud in his ears. Oh dammit, he should've thought about that and gone to get Gerhard instead of being a complete and utter idiot and trying to take on a swamp beast that had just eaten his teammate's goddamn leg whole. That would have been better than this. 12 landed a bit away from Madison and Henry, trotting over as quickly as possible and trying not to panic, now that his brief 'bitch I will claw your eyes out' moment had faded away.

He stared at the bloody stump of Henry's leg, mouth half open to say something. How the hell would they even fix this? An entire limb was gone, poof, missing. That didn't exactly bode very well for current odds, and 12 swallowed, shaking his head and tearing his eyes away to look at Madison.

"--the hell do we do?"
Last edited by 12 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
12
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Hiding somewhere. // RED base. x2 // BEING DEAD.

Re: Damage Assesment

Postby Puffin » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:45 pm

Madison's work looked like it was paying off. As she tugged hard on the improvised tourniquets, the blood flow began to stem. She did jump a foot into the air once 12 dropped out of the sky. Looked like he was better with his little wings then she had initially thought.

No, there were much more important things at hand. She began to tear fabric from the pant leg on Henry's good limb, applying it to the stump to encourage the blood to clot even more. "12, listen close, okay? You're faster den I am. I want you t' go run ahead an' find Gerhard an' tell him what happened. Tell him t' get his medicine all ready and t' meet me down in the infirmary. I'll bring Henry up as soon as de bleedin' stops. Go as fast as y' can, alright?"
Last edited by Puffin on Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Puffin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Re: Damage Assessment

Postby 12 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:46 pm

Responding to that would take precious seconds from his time, and 12 figured it would be best for Henry and all involved if he just went. The second Madison finished, he was off like a shot, headed straight for the infirmary. He was glad that he hadn't tripped yet, because that would just be terrible right about now--not only would he get his face mashed into the ground rather painfully, it would put Henry even more at risk. He didn't want to waste a single second if he could, and he already had with his gawping. Couldn't even do that right, could he?

Taking a sharp turn around a corner, his talons scraped against the floor in an attempt to give him better traction. It was by sheer chance that he didn't go toppling over, and he'd have to thank his lucky stars for that later. As it was, he was getting near the infirmary, and he took another turn to get back on track. He was so close now, and in another moment, he burst through the infirmary doors, standing there before giving an undignified string of curses, due to the fact that he'd just smashed into doors with his damn wings. God, that had been stupid. He'd chew himself out over that later; for now, he had to find Gerhard.

"Gerhard, wh--you in here? We r-really need some help down at the docks, Henry got a leg bit off by somethin' and Madison's tryin' to fix him and I don't have hands so we're KIND OF BAD AT THIS COME ON." True to Scout fashion, 12 was talking almost absurdly fast, collar held fast in a death grip to try and calm himself down a bit. Henry still had his dogtags, and that thought earned an unpleasant feeling. He bit his lip, looking for any signs that Gerhard might be here. Sure, he'd always been in here when they needed him before, but it wasn't like the other man was chained to the place. What if he was gone? That would be absolutely horrible. Respawn was there, that much was true, but there was no telling if Henry would come through with some kind of glitch--or if he'd even come through at all. 12 didn't have a lot of faith in that machine.
User avatar
12
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Hiding somewhere. // RED base. x2 // BEING DEAD.

Re: Damage Assessment

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:48 am

The TentaMedic was already up and moving when the Scout came barreling in through the door, looking more than a little ruffled as he scrambled through cabinets for supplies and tugged on a fresh pair of gloves. He was missing his coat, his hair a rumpled mess and his glasses askew, and judging from the drool spot staining a stack of scattered papers on the man's desk, it was apparent that he had been dozing until a mere few moments ago.
Shoving another handful of bandages into his medical bag, Gerhard snatched a sheet off one of the gurneys, tossing it towards 12 as he charged for a large metal cabinet by the door.
"12, take zhat und zhe MedKit, I'm right behind you."
The Medic's voice was all business, clipped and quiet as he grabbed a key ring from an inner pocket of his vest to unlock the cabinet. Inside were the fully charged MediPaks for every Medic assigned to their team; one for Fritz, one for Oliver, one for Samuel, and one for himself.
It took him precious seconds to get his Pak unhooked from its charging unit, having to attach the Gun to the same port before he could heave it out of the cabinet and onto his shoulders with an audible grunt, clipping the harness in place as quickly as he could without fumbling the buckles.
He didn't like to rely on the Company's experimental equipment, especially after his time in one of their research facilities seeing how the stuff was made, but drastic times called for drastic measures, and a teammate getting his leg bitten off by a giant neolithic monster was most certainly drastic.
A few clicks, switches and dials being tuned, and the machine upon the Medic's back began to hum, the black cannon-like instrument in his hand beginning to glow a soft cerulean tone from its muzzle. He pulled the lever for a quick test, momentarily allowing 12 to bask in the cool healing glow before he nodded sharply to himself and started out towards his patient, tentacles moving in an undulating blur that sped him down the hall at almost matched a normal human run.
User avatar
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:30 pm
Location: Meddling in other people's business

Re: Damage Assessment

Postby Puffin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:34 am

Madison watched as 12 sped off, quick as a flash. If there was one thing he was good at, it was running. She turned her attention back to the remains of Henry's leg, the blood flow was now down to nearly nothing. She chewed her lip, unsure of what to do. Well, it probably wasn't going to get any better, and having the poor Engineer laying around on the muddy ground didn't seem like a very good idea. Now or never. She picked him up by the torso, easily hefting his gangly frame once again over her shoulder.

Once she was back on her feet, she headed off towards the base as quickly as her legs could carry her. Strong she was, but fast she was not. She hoped that Gerhard wasn't off too far, because though 12 could probably get to him quickly, it wouldn't do any good if the Medic was out on one of his swims. She had no idea the other two teammates were headed towards her at that same moment, but was glad that Gerhard spent most of his time in the infirmary.
User avatar
Puffin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Re: Damage Assessment

Postby 12 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:17 am

The smaller hybrid kept pace with Gerhard easily, holding on to what he'd been given tightly. When they got near the exit, 12 moved ahead to see if Henry and Madison were still there, glancing over his shoulder every few seconds to see if the Medic was still keeping up. Seeing their Heavy running towards them with Henry over her shoulder, he sprinted out again to intercept them. If Madison wouldve gone in, there would've been the worst wild goose chase possible, and he didn't want that at all. He liked Henry. He hadn't yelled at him or anything, had been pretty nice, and had given him candy. So having Henry die because he'd been a tiny bit too late in getting out here would just be horrible.

"Where're you goin', I got 'im right back there--" 12 fussed, coming even with Madison's side and starting to follow her. Had she been trying to go look for Gerhard? That didn't really make a lot of sense to him. She'd sent him to do it, and he fulfilled every order possible. Maybe she'd just been trying to get closer to the base to speed up how quickly Henry would get treated.
Last edited by 12 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
12
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Hiding somewhere. // RED base. x2 // BEING DEAD.

Re: Damage Assessment

Postby Henry Adams » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:54 pm

Henry's vision flickered back to life. With the bleeding staunched, his body was slowly but surely replacing what he'd lost, and the left-over adrenaline from the attack had managed to wake him up. Looking around, he noticed that he was not where he'd been what he remembered as seconds ago. He was being moved away from the water at a double-time pace. It took him a moment to realize that it was Maddy who was moving him. Thank god I've got friends like this.

Hearing the little hybrid talking to his carrier, he tried to shift, lifting his head slightly before a wave of pain hit and he let out a groan. "That you, Joey? You see that big bastard that took my leg? I coulda takn 'm, if 'e ...dn't got tha' cheap sho..." And then he was gone again, wrapped in the blissful darkness of unconciousness.
User avatar
Henry Adams
Moderator
 
Posts: 405
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:27 am
Location: Almost universally in the Dev-Lab.

Re: Damage Assessment

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:45 am

"PUT HIM DOWN, NOW."
It was rare for the Medic to raise his voice, so much so that practically no one on base had ever heard him project his voice at anything more than a speaking tone.
But there was a teammate in trouble, and Gerhard wasn't in the mood for nannying. He had a job to do.
The TentaMedic all but leapt forward, grabbing for the MedKit he'd asked 12 to grab while promptly heaving the MediGun on, focusing the cannon and latching it in place to allow a continuous flow. Cannon supported by one tentacle and bag gripped in another, the doctor made a quick assessment of Madison's first aid tactics. He glanced up towards her, flashing a quick smile of thanks, then promptly turned and grabbed a scalpel from the bag.

In a few quick motions, he'd slit open the Engineer's remaining bits of pant leg almost up to the belt line, swiftly and neatly tucking the scarps out of the way. A pause, and he removed the hasty tourniquet as well, needing to see the whole injury.
Ragged, hanging ligaments, crushed bone...
He'd have to trim things up if he was going to be able to fix the mess properly.
Cursing softly under his breath, he handed the used scalpel to a waiting tentacle and turned to his bag again, pulling out a short syringe and a bone saw.
"Hold him down. I need to straighten zhis cut before it can be properly treated."
User avatar
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:30 pm
Location: Meddling in other people's business

Re: Damage Assessment

Postby Puffin » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:07 pm

"What're you talkin' about 12?," she said as the scout jogged beside her. "I'm goin' t' de infirmary, didn't y' tell Gerhard t' meet me--" her sentence was interrupted by Gerhard's raised voice. It seemed like there was a minor miscommunication, but that hardly mattered now. Either way she and the doctor had found each other, so she silently complied, laying Henry down on the sheet 12 had been carrying. She had never heard Gerhard raise his voice before, it was almost as unnerving as seeing Henry mad. But still, that little smile he gave her made her feel a lot better. She felt glad that her strength could be put to good use, especially when it came to helping a friend.

She was a little surprised when Gerhard asked her to hold down the Engineer, however. "Uh, alright..." she glanced at his face for a moment. He was out cold, which made life easier for all of them. "Where d'you want me t' hold him, exactly?"
User avatar
Puffin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Re: Damage Assessment

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:37 pm

"I don't care vhere you choose to hold him, just make sure to keep him still no matter vhat happens."
There wasn't enough time to be picky, the MediGun was good for providing blood and mending tissue injuries, even bone fractures to a degree, but it couldn't pull out bullets or regenerate limbs. That was why actual doctors were required in the position of Medic, someone needed to be able to treat the damage that the MediGun could not.
Gerhard waited impatiently for the Heavy to take her place, his tentacles twitching in agitation.
User avatar
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:30 pm
Location: Meddling in other people's business

Re: Damage Assessment

Postby Puffin » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:43 pm

"I... uh, alright." He looked annoyed now, and she certainly wasn't in a position to argue. She laid one big hand on the Engineer's thigh, just a little below his hip joint, but with enough room for Gerhard to work. The other hand she placed in the middle of his chest to stabilize him as much as was possible. She put all her weight into the process, using her strength to keep him as still. "Okay, ready when you are."
User avatar
Puffin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Re: Damage Assessment

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:59 pm

A nod, and the Medic moved to set the teeth of his saw to work, but paused, brow furrowing as he spoke up.
"12, it vould be best if you did not look."
The boy was traumatized enough as it was, there was no need to make that trauma worse with the graphics of a man having the remnants of his leg sawed off, even if it was with anesthetic.
Gerhard took a deep breathe in through his nose, steeling his nerves while a stray tentacle slipped forward to curl tightly around the Engineer's wrist.
User avatar
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:30 pm
Location: Meddling in other people's business

Next

Return to The Docks

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron