Condemned (Henry Intro, Closed)

Where everyone arrives. Arrival is not team-separate, and we trust you'll be able to figure out which you're on. We send supplies plus purchases every month, on the first. The original dock was destroyed, and the current one is still only half-finished, so you're dropped off a bit of a ways up the bank where its safer to land. Just don't get lost.
The team Warehouses also stand out near here, or at least used to. RED's is the only one still standing, while BLUs seems to have been burned to the ground. Or maybe exploded. Or both.

Condemned (Henry Intro, Closed)

Postby Henry Adams » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:48 am

It surprised Henry to feel the sunlight on his back, as the boat churned through the water towards the rotted dock.
That'll have to be a first fix. He thought to himself, already compiling a list in his head of jobs that needed doing. He had packed light for the transfer, two sets of clothing, virtually identical to each-other, a small stack of hats, a set of formal wear, and an entire file-cabinet's worth of blueprints and notes. That last addition was kept in a separate package, and was taken mostly out of spite. Henry figured that nothing would hurt him more than letting some new blood steal his designs and sell them to the highest bidder to line the League's pocket.
Besides, he thought, Swamp-Rat is more than a little run-down. I may as well spread the joy, if I have to be stuck here for God-only-knows how long.
Last edited by Henry Adams on Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Adams

Re: Condemned (Henry Intro, Open)

Postby Puffin » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:20 pm

Sunny days were rare out here at Swamp Rat, and Madison was quick to take advantage of this one. She had taken a book from the library and was laying on her stomach on the docks near the base, reading. They were in better condition and usually drier, but even if they weren't, it likely wouldn't have deterred her. The mild Louisiana winters were some of the best times to be outside, and even more so when the sun was shining.

She was in the middle of a passage talking about Water Moccasins, which were native to the area, when she heard the sound of a boat approaching. She looked up, surprised. There had been next to no activity since she had shown up. As the boat neared the docks closer to the BLU half of the area, she realized that meant a new teammate.
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Postby Henry Adams » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:36 pm

The boat slipped carefully against the dock, nearly bumping into the old wood.
This old piece o' crap would probably collapse if anyone did so much as sneeze on it. He thought to himself. Once the boat had been tied down, he turned, tipped the pilot with what little pocket money he had, and took a deep breath before turning back to face his new home.
Henry stepped carefully onto the docks, making his way from board to board, avoiding the more rotted bits. Once he found a relatively solid piece to stand on, he knelt down and began inspecting the dock carefully. He pulled out a pencil that he had stored in the knot of his pony-tail, and began marking the boards, taking note of what was solid, what would need to be repaired, and what would need to be replaced.
Aside from the board he stood on, there were nearly zero firm portions of the dock, and a frightening amount to be flat-out replaced, as they were too rotten to be repaired effectively. With a sigh, he continued his work.
Henry Adams

Postby Puffin » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:55 pm

Dog-earing the page she was on, Madison closed the book and stood up. Stretching, she watched the boat dock and a man, presumably the new teammate, step onto the old wood. He seemed to be having trouble with the dilapidated structure, moving slowly to avoid falling into the water. She didn't blame him, as she had a very similar reaction a week ago.

She began to make her way over to where he was, wondering what class he was. Given how few people seemed to be at BLU, she figured any class would do, but remembered Gerhard mentioning a need for an Engineer. She became hopeful, if a little puzzled, when he began looking at the dock closely and taking notes.

"Hey dere!" she called out, waving. "D' you need help wit' your bags at all?"
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Postby Henry Adams » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:35 pm

It took Henry a moment to realise he was being called. With all of the boards marked one way or another, and a perfect copy mapped out in his notebook, he stood up and stretched to pop his spine.
"Hello, m'dear!" He waved a hand through the air and let it rest on the back of his neck. After a brief battle between his conscience and his genetic inclination towards lazing, he called out again.
"I can handle the bags, but do ya mind holding on to my note-book until we get to the base? I'm terrible about losing things." He rubbed the back of his neck and stared at the ground, then tugged it until it popped satisfactorily. He picked up the bags and began to walk before his knees let out a sharp crick and he stumbled.
"JEEEZUSFRIGGINCHRIST!" The man hunched over somewhat, bending forward so far as to seem that he was about to tumble forward, his hair falling over his head.
Henry Adams

Postby Puffin » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:06 am

"Careful!" She moved quickly to where he was standing (or at least as quickly as she dared on the unreliable docks), and extended a hand as a gesture of help. "You sho' you're alrigh' dere? It's really no trouble if y' need help. De last t'ing y' want is to fall in de swamp."
He seemed like a nice enough guy from his cheerful greeting. "My name's Madison, by de way, but y'all can call me Maddy if you like."
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Henry Adams » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:13 am

henry let out a sound halfway between an angry cat and a broken carborator as he straightened himself out and walked stiffly down the docks, limping slightly.
"I'm alright, just... gettin' older. This is what comes from not caring what you eat and drink. I haven't had a good dose of calcium since i was five, and my joints don't let me forget it." He winced slightly and drew himself to full height, then held his notebook out in his left hand for the girl to take.
"Maddie, huh? Good name. I always liked nicknames. Keeps people comfortable. No formal expectations from a guy who calls you the same thing yer mom used to. My names Henry. I'd offer a nickname, but it's damn hard to come up with one, so i'm stuck with the full thing." He grinned openly and wiped his right hand on his jeans, before extending it in greeting.
Henry Adams

Postby Puffin » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:35 am

"Take some vitamin supplements, maybe?" she said, shrugging and taking the notebook. "De food out here is pretty terrible, so you likely won't get too much nutritional value dat way."
She shook his hand with a firm grip, smiling. "A pleasure t' meet you, Henry." She thought for a moment. "Isn't Hank a nickname fo' Henry? I don't know, I can't say I care for it. I really don't care eit'er way if people use my full name or a nickname. Besides, my mot'er usually called me 'ma fifille', but it would be odd if someone else called me dat."
She began to lead her new teammate to the base. "De base is dis way, and luckily fo' us de docks are in a bit better shape de closer you get."
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Henry Adams » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:25 am

"Well, it's nice to meet you too, Ma Fifille. French, right? My little one, or something similar. I'm terrible with languages, too."
Henry took careful steps until they reached a better portion of the dock.
"Hopefully before too long you won't be able to say that about these old boards anymore. Gimme some time and i might fix the food, too, provided I can get some assistance. You mind hauling some equipment for me, sometime? I'm not the most solid guy out there. More of a lab-coat than an engineer."
Henry looked back casually with an inquisitive look, or at least, as inquisitive as his rather glazed expression could get, before his toe caught a loose board and he slammed face-first into what was, inevitably, one of the more solid portions of the dock.
"MUTHERFRIGGINSUNOVABIIIITCH" Henry curled in and covered his nose, which bled profusely and dripped into the murky water.
Henry Adams

Postby Puffin » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:05 pm

"Yeah, French. It's a pretty old-fashioned term, t'ough. But den again, lots of French terms of endearment are related to animals or farms..."
She smiled. "Dat'd be great if y' could fix up de place a bit. It's in pretty bad shape, and from de looks of it de REDs don' seem t' be in much better shape. An' part of de problem is dat dere's no one to really cook fo', and dere's few ingredients. An' I can help you haul your machines, physical labor is somet'in' I'm good at. In fact..."
She stopped cold when she heard him hit the deck and shout in pain. This was the second time someone had refused her help, and the second time they had wound up hurt. She was cursed. It was the only possible explanation. She turned around and knelt down next to him, trying to assess the damage.
"You alrigh' dere, frien'? Ugh, you're bleedin'..." his nose had become a geyser. "It ain't broken, is it?" She helped him up. "Why don't we go get you fixed up, and come back fo' de bags later? Luckily we have a Medic..."
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Henry Adams » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:54 pm

A bit of Henry's Yiddish heritage slipped out as he stood up and held his nose closed. "Oy vey. That was a helluva tumble. The universe officially hates my rotten guts," Henry said with a laugh, "First I get flown to an airstrip that barely exists, then I'm dragged through a swamp at just lightly slower than the speed of smell, which I must assume unless the boat-man had a pack of rotten eggs in his bag for good luck, and now i'm not two minutes off the boat and i have to see the got-damn medic!" All Henry could do for a moment was chuckle and shake his head before a drop of blood splattered on his boots and he remembered what he was complaining about.
"Ach, christ. alright, off we go. OH! grab the duffel, a'right? Don't know how long my papers will hold up in this air." With a lurch, Henry started in the direction Madison had sanctioned as 'towards the base', and picked up the battered piece of literature left on the chair as he passed by. "What've ya got here?"
Henry Adams

Postby Puffin » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:08 pm

Madison decided she liked this guy. Maybe a bit accident prone, but very upbeat. People with positive outlooks were unfortunately rare to come by. She grabbed his duffel bag as instructed, sticking the notebook in the top pocket before hurrying on off after him.
"Hey dere, frien'. Slow it down a bit. You're lookin' very silly runnin' on off wit' yer nose turned on like a faucet. And I'd rather not have y' pass out, dat'd jus' make bot' our lives more complicated."
She jerked her head in the direction of his inquiry. "Oh, dat? I swiped it from de library. It's jus' a book about wildlife in de bayou. Now, I know a fair bit about dat already, but I was bored, and wasn't interested in any heavy readin'." She picked up her pace a bit, leading the Engineer around the dock and to the entrance. "I'll show you where everyt'in' is later, but for now let's get y' cleaned up."
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Henry Adams » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:00 pm

"Make sure that gets back to the library, a'right? Hate to see a good book go to waste." Henry grinned. "Might have to check that one out later. see what I've got to work with out here."
As Henry continued on, bag across his shoulder, his curiosity was piqued. After pulling out a deep red handkerchief to staunch the bleeding, he continued. "I don't suppose you know anything about the flora, as well as the fauna. I used to work on herbal research way back when. Had a few pharmaceutical jobs, but mostly I had a few recipes I used to keep on my feet. Teas and such, mostly. I have an amazing immune system, runs in the family, but everybody could use a little boost now and then. Ah, shit." With an exaggerated motion, he sneezed, spraying blood across the ground.

"OOOOOOOW."

Henry pulled a napkin out of his other pocket and wiped the blood off of his face. "I have a few teas for relaxation, for days like this. Wouldn't mind makin' a bigger batch, if you're interested, and if I can find the right stuff, of course. 'Course, if you don't know, I can do the research myself, but, y'know, that takes some time away for when you need that monster repaired after it inevitably over-heats." Henry did a double-take. "Speaking of the mad-machine, is that a custom model? Make that yourself?"
Henry Adams

Postby Puffin » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:11 pm

[I'm going to assume you're talking about her gun, which we'll say for convenience's sake was laying around. Feel free to correct me]

"Well, I only lived in de bayou until I was ten. Even so, de general rule of t'umb was if y' saw somet'in' dat you didn't know what it was, y' left it alone." She led him down the hall, towards the infirmary, wincing when he sprayed blood on the floor. She'd had enough of cleaning up blood for a while. "I'll put de book away, you jus' clean dat up later, okay? Besides, y' can't drink tea wit' a broken nose."

She looked at her minigun, Luc. It was indeed smaller than the standard-issue. "Yeah, it's a bit smaller and lighter. I may be stronger den most men, but I still can't carry a full-sized gun into battle. I can lift it, but I can't carry it." She frowned. She had always been a bit insecure about it.

Upon reaching the infirmary, she laid down Henry's bag by the door and instructed him to do the same. "Our Medic should be in here." She crossed to the office door, and knocked loudly. "Knock knock, Gerhard. Y' in dere?"
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Henry Adams » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:02 am

Henry's nose began to dry as he waited for the medic to answer the door. He gave a sigh of contentment as he tested his nostrils with a deep breath, and cringed slightly with the pain. "You've been a great help, Fifille. I think I can handle myself from here, but if you ever need any repairs, upgrades, or just a friendly face, come down and see me. I'll be bunking in the Weapon-tech lab, which, if I remember the maps correctly, should be right next door. I keep strange hours, so don't be afraid to come right in any time, day or night. Wake me up if you have to. I guarantee I get enough sleep to make up for it." Henry grinned once more before he reached a hand out, as if to shake once more, but instead, grasped Madison's hand and pulled her into a warm, albeit very tentative, side-hug.

"Don't be a stranger, a'right?
Henry Adams

Postby Puffin » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:44 am

"Aw look. Don' call me fifille, alrigh'? It's a really old-fashioned term, an' I really don' like it." She leaned against the door, facing Henry. It seemed like her tentacled friend was out at the moment. "Look, don' y' want t' clean yourself up at least? Dere's a sink over dere."

She was a bit surprised when he gave her that half-hug, but returned the favor, slinging a big arm around his shoulder. "It's my pleasure, frien'. I'll be happy t' come say hello, an' if y' need somet'in' moved, or someone t' talk to, jus' come find me." She smiled. "Jus' do me a favor an' clean up de blood on de floor, alrigh'?"
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Henry Adams » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:15 pm

"Aaaaaw, fine, I'll hold off on the nicknames." Henry grinned and stuck a tongue half-way out of his lips. With a sharp turn, he began to douse his handkerchief in water from the nearby sink, which sputtered slightly as he turned it on. "Don't worry about the floor, I'll clean it up nice and bright, and maybe in a few weeks I'll start on the refurbishing. This place has a long way to go before it'll be up to snuff, but it's my job to make sure it's good as new before long." Henry paused and looked around at the wall as he wiped his face and the front of his shirt with the damp cloth.

"How would you feel about tearing up some sheet metal? The outside walls are gonna need more than a little soap and water before they'll shine again."
Henry Adams

Postby Puffin » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:46 pm

Madison realized leaning on the door was probably not a good idea. She stood up straight, glad that he was at least cleaning himself off before gallivanting across the base. And now he was offering to clean up the place. And here she was thinking she was cursed. "Y' would do all dat? God bless you."

"I'd be happy t' help y' wit' whatever it is y' need help wit'," she said, stretching her arms. "If y' need help findin' your way around, tell me, but I'm sure you'll figure it out. De men's barracks are on de second floor, the one that isn't attatched t' de bat'room."
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Henry Adams » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:25 pm

"Oooooh, that's a dangerous offer to make. I'll be rousting you in a week or two, then. Probably the rest of the base, too." With that, he walked away, down the hall. "Lots to do, lots to do." With a wag of his finger, he receded into the weapons-development lab, shutting the door behind him.
Henry Adams

Return to The Docks