Back to Your Roots (Madison Intro, Closed)

Where everyone arrives. Arrival is not team-separate, and we trust you'll be able to figure out which you're on. We send supplies plus purchases every month, on the first. The original dock was destroyed, and the current one is still only half-finished, so you're dropped off a bit of a ways up the bank where its safer to land. Just don't get lost.
The team Warehouses also stand out near here, or at least used to. RED's is the only one still standing, while BLUs seems to have been burned to the ground. Or maybe exploded. Or both.

Back to Your Roots (Madison Intro, Closed)

Postby Puffin » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:06 pm

Madison's hunch had been right. Nothing had changed out here in the swamp. The same smell, the same color, the same atmosphere. It had been nearly twenty years since she last set foot in the Louisiana Bayou, and though she was not familiar with the immediate area, there was an unshakeable air of nostalgia. Long forgotten memories were rushing back to her with every tree they passed and every turn they took. They even seemed to be using the same old shoddy boats as they did when she was a girl. The motor sounded the same, a constant thrum that did little to cover up the boatman's chatter.

The boatman himself was a Cajun thrilled at the prospect at ferrying a local to the area, and had been talking incessantly the entire ride in French. "... and I've been driving this boat for more than twenty-five years and -- hey Missy, you listening?"

"What?" She was so caught up in reliving her childhood that she had completely tuned him out. By this point in the ride he was beginning to sound more like the boat's motor than a person. "Sorry, I lost focus."

"Right, well, pay attention. Anyway, as I was saying, I've been driving this boat for twenty-five years, and these two companies are still fighting. They stopped in the area for quite some time, but now they're back at it again, same as ever. I've boated people from all over, all them come down to the Bayou to fight. You're the first person from the area. I don't say much else to those folks though. Can't say I trust them."

The locals were still complaining about outsiders as well. That hadn't changed at all. She let out a small sigh of relief as she saw the dock come into view.

"And most of the young kids these days, they're not much better! Most of them can't even speak our language!" And the older generation was still complaining about the younger generation. That, at least, seemed universal. He pulled the boat to a halt next to the dock. As soon as the boat was steady she gathered up her things and began to climb onto the dock. She didn't have much; just her gun and a duffel bag full of her meager belongings. "Hold on there, Missy," the boatman suddenly said. "Don't you want some help?"

She looked back and forth between her things and the small boatman. "That's very nice of you to offer, Mister, but I'll be okay. I also think this gun weighs about the same as you in either case." As she climbed out of the boat onto the docks, the wood beneath her groaned in protest.

"Hmph. Just trying to be polite." He started up the boat again. "All I'm saying is, you seem like a nice young lady. You take care of yourself, you hear?"

She couldn't help but smile at nice young lady. "I will. You too mister, and thanks." And with that he sped off, leaving her standing on the dock in the fog. She frowned as she examined the old wooden boards in front of her, and contemplated how to best navigate them without winding up in the swamp.
Last edited by Puffin on Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Puffin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Re: Back to Your Roots (Madison Intro, Open)

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:59 pm

It felt like it had been forever since he'd gotten out of his Infirmary.
Well, he said his Infirmary, but it hadn't been just his for a long while now, especially with all the new recruits, so many of them Medics. Fritz and that Oliver fellow were nice enough, but Samuel... Samuel reminded him far too much of that nasty Surgeon that had destroyed the research facility and made him unable to walk for the rest of his natural life.

Gerhard shook his head, banishing the unwanted train of thought as he came around the back of the base. He'd been- Well, Sykes would call it patrolling, but really, he was just wandering around. There was no real aim, he just needed to get up and move-!
"Gott, I really need to get out mehr..."
At least the paperwork had mostly been dealt with, so that wasn't something to worry about as much as usual. His Outbox was actually taller than his Inbox for once...

He started towards the front entrance of the base, slipping between the warehouse and the main building, only to freeze upon hearing voices. The REDs had been getting quite a few recruits lately, but these were closer...
More BLUs?
The TentaMedic peeked around the warehouse, clicking on his disguise just in case, and straightened upon seeing a large figure clad in the familiar Builder's League company hue. A Heavy maybe? Oh, he hoped it was a Heavy. Or an Engineer. A Scout. Anything but another Medic. The Infirmary was crowded enough as it was-!
Chain gun.
Yeah, definitely a Heavy.

Gerhard came out of hiding, folding his hands behind his back and starting for the dock, though he kept a slow pace. With any luck, the boatman would be gone by the time he got there. He still wasn't sure if the man had seen his less-than-human lower half when he'd been defending Fritz from Samuel that one time...
User avatar
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:30 pm
Location: Meddling in other people's business

Re: Back to Your Roots (Madison Intro, Open)

Postby Puffin » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:49 am

The sounds of the boat's motor faded farther into the distance. Madison focused on the warped, damp wood in front of her. With each step she took the boards groaned and creaked, but held fast. She still moved forward at a steady pace, growing more confident, but still wary. In training, she had been more than a little self conscious of the fact that she was smaller than the male members of her class and could not consistently carry a gun the standard size. Out here, it was a godsend. She doubted the dilapidated dock could hold a man the size of some of her counterparts, let alone one of those men and his gun.

In truth, it wasn't the thought of falling into the swamp itself that bothered her. That had happened enough as a child, and the clothes she was carrying could always be washed. No, what worried her more was the thought of losing her gun to the murky waters. If it fell in, there was no way she could get it out. She was strong, but even she couldn't swim with it.

Eventually, she made her way onto a more sturdy part of the docks, and relaxed a bit. She had failed to notice the figure approaching in from the fog, but now it was much closer and much more obvious. She could make out some details as well; he was a dark-haired man wearing glasses, and from the looks of it, was on her team.

She gently placed the gun back down on the dock, and then smiled and waved at her advancing teammate, taking a moment to straighten her hat. "Salut! Hé, savez-vous où... wai' a minute." Here she was, speaking French to someone after the boatman had been talking her ear off about how barely around here seemed to speak French, especially not the people at this base. She started to laugh, realizing how silly she must've sounded. "Sorry, sorry! I mean' t' say 'hello, can you show me de way to de base?'".
Last edited by Puffin on Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Puffin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Re: Back to Your Roots (Madison Intro, Open)

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:30 pm

To say Gerhard was surprised would have been the understatement of the decade.
Not only was this Heavy apparently French, but there was no denying the fact that the voice speaking those rolling vowels was most definitely female. A moment's pause, and a subtle sniff (just to make sure), and the Medic lifted a hand in greeting.
"It ist quvite alright, Fraulein, you are not zhe only French speaker on base."
Well, that was sort of debatable at this point. He hadn't seen anyone, let alone the Spies, around for several days now. Mostly his own fault, but still-!
"I vas actually just about to head inside meinself. Ist zhere anyzhing you vould like help vizh...?"
User avatar
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:30 pm
Location: Meddling in other people's business

Re: Back to Your Roots (Madison Intro, Open)

Postby Puffin » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:05 pm

Madison smiled a bit at the man's slight hesitation. "Whass de matter, frien'? I ain't gonna bite you, dat's de gators' job. And dey don't bite so long as y' stay out of de water." She cocked her head a bit at the comment about other French speakers. "Dey from France? 'Cause de few French people I met make fun o' me, dey say my French ain't REAL French. Which is dumb, I t'ink. It is real French, it's jus' differen' is all." She frowned. "Dey make fun o' de Canadian French as well. And what does 'fraulein' mean? Dat's German, righ'?"

She picked up her gun again and began walking again. "And t'anks for de offer, but I should be alrigh'. De wood is a bit stronger over here." Was she forgetting something? Yeah, she was definitely forgetting something. What was it? Oh, right. "My name's Madison, but you kin call me Maddy if dat's what y'all prefer. What's yours?"
User avatar
Puffin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Re: Back to Your Roots (Madison Intro, Open)

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:27 pm

For a moment, Gerhard could do little more than just sort of stand and stare as the Heavy's rambling outpouring of dialogue washed over him in an accented wave. He finally managed to come around to himself when he caught a name, shaking himself out of his stupor.
"Ah, Gerhard, I'm Gerhard..."
He cleared his throat, straightening himself out and gesturing towards the base.
"Shall ve? Zhe main entrance ist just zhis vay..."
So far, he'd met two of the three females on base, and they were complete opposites.
This was going to be one heck of an interesting team.
User avatar
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:30 pm
Location: Meddling in other people's business

Re: Back to Your Roots (Madison Intro, Open)

Postby Puffin » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:42 pm

[oh man, i am loling at Gehrard's reaction]

"Well den, it's a pleasure t' meet you, Gerhard. I would shake your hand, but my hands are a lil' full...." she trailed off suddenly and burst into laughter again. "Why you givin' me dat face again? You done look like a fish or somet'in'." She imitated his staring, confused expression, and laughed again.

Once she regained her composure they were much closer to the entrance. "So how big is dis place anyway? And how many people are livin' here? It seems awfully quiet righ' now."
User avatar
Puffin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Re: Back to Your Roots (Madison Intro, Open)

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:01 pm

He managed a small twitch of a smile at the woman's laughter. It was a good sound to hear after so much silence...
"Ah, pardon mich, I-"
He stopped himself before he could make a fool of himself, clearing his throat.
"Vell, zhe records said zhat zhe base hast room for zhirty-six individuals. Ve have barely half of zhat number here, and many of zhem seem to have vandered off, so it iz razzer quiet most days... Are you sure I cannot help vizh somezhing? I am not as frail as I appear, I assure you."
User avatar
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:30 pm
Location: Meddling in other people's business

Re: Back to Your Roots (Madison Intro, Open)

Postby Puffin » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:14 pm

"Aw, 's no problem. And it probably ain't real nice o' me t' be laughin' at you as soon as I meet you." Her expression darkened a bit when he explained the situation of their team. "Wandered off? Jus' like dat? Ain't no one gone and looked for dem?" The bayou wasn't the place you wanted to get lost in.

She brightened up again at Gerhard's request. "I never said you were frail, frien'. But it's alrigh', really. De bag isn't heavy at all, it's mostly juss clothes and de like. But I would really appreciate it if y' could at least show me where I can put my t'ings, and den show me around a bit? Maybe we might run into someone on de way?"
User avatar
Puffin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Re: Back to Your Roots (Madison Intro, Open)

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:45 pm

"Vell, I say vander off, but.. I am honestly not sure as to vhat happened to zhem. Zhey all just sort of... Vanished."
He tried not to betray how much the concept rattled him, but there was a slight waver in his voice at the end. He still hadn't gotten over finding that skull out in the swamp...
Gerhard shook himself out of his thoughts, turning to the door and holding it open.
"I vould happy to show you to your bunk. It's a little bit of a valk, but ve'll get zhe tour and everyzhing all done at vonce, ja?"
User avatar
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:30 pm
Location: Meddling in other people's business

Re: Back to Your Roots (Madison Intro, Open)

Postby Puffin » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:13 pm

"Vanished? Dat don' seem right at all. You sho' dey didn't desert or nothin'?" She suspected something more than that, judging by that little bit of nervousness at the end of his last sentence. Something likely more than just crocodiles or angry locals.

She thanked him appreciatively as he held open the door, and stepped inside. "Well, dat sounds like a good idea t' me, we kin always talk about de disappearin' later." She readjusted her grip on her gun. "Lead de way, frien'."
User avatar
Puffin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Re: Back to Your Roots (Madison Intro, Open)

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:44 pm

Considering their gear was still on base and their information in both the files and Respawn...
Gerhard made sure to close the door behind them before starting down the hall, a habit he had started to get into ever since the -ah- Incident, and automatically checked the hall for any rampant SoliWolves. No need to startle the lady on her first day...
A moment to be certain the new Heavy wasn't in need of a helping hand, and he started down the hall, keeping a slightly slower pace than his usual so that he would be sure not to accidentally leave Madison behind.
"Vell, on zhis side, ve have zhe Infirmary. Mein office ist ins zhe back, so I'm almost alvays resident. Across zhe hall, ve have zhe exercise room..."
It was a simple tour, just pointing out the various rooms of importance as they passed by, leaving it to the new recruit to investigate more thoroughly on her own time. As they grew closer to the bunking areas, the Medic found himself wondering a little about the sleeping situation. He knew there were two rooms set up with bunks, but no one had bothered really setting any sex barriers regarding the areas...
User avatar
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:30 pm
Location: Meddling in other people's business

Re: Back to Your Roots (Madison Intro, Open)

Postby Puffin » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:51 pm

Madison stayed mostly quiet as Gerhard pointed out the various locations of the base. The location of the infirmary was a good place to know, especially since it was the most likely place to find the only person she knew so far. She noted the location of the kitchen as well. She had thought about cooking a big meal for her arrival, but if there was no one around to eat it, why bother?

As they continued on, she grew more and more somber. This was a pretty extensive base, with pretty much anything a mercenary could need. Except there were no mercenaries. The whole place was in a state of disrepair, though she wondered if that was a recent development, or if the building had been like that for longer. She did make plans to visit the library, however. As they were approaching the end of the hall, she asked "Gerhard, is dere a place I can put this?" She motioned to the gun. "My arms are tired."
User avatar
Puffin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Re: Back to Your Roots (Madison Intro, Open)

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:08 pm

The Medic lifted a hand, asking Madison to wait a moment while he went to check the bunks.
Ah.
Well.
That wasn't so hard.
"Zhis vay."
He held the door open to what he had mentally designated the 'ladies barracks'; The cleaner, emptier room that attached directly to the bathrooms and had a clothesline hung by the window where a set of women's unmentionables hung drying.

He tried not to look at those.
User avatar
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:30 pm
Location: Meddling in other people's business

Re: Back to Your Roots (Madison Intro, Open)

Postby Puffin » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:15 pm

"T'anks again." She stepped inside the room. It wasn't very large, and a bit dusty, but she didn't mind. She had never needed much by way of living situation, just a roof over her head and a halfway decent bed. She gently laid down her gun on the floor, and claimed a bottom bunk by tossing her duffel bag on the bed. "Much better."

It was then she noticed someone's underwear and bra drying on the rack. "Well hey, lookit dat. A sign of life." She rubbed her sore arms as she turned to face Gerhard again. "I was startin' to get worried for a while dere. And I didn't know dere were ot'er women here as well."
User avatar
Puffin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Re: Back to Your Roots (Madison Intro, Open)

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:34 pm

Gerhard took a step back out of the room, his cheekbones having gained a slight tinting of color.
"Ah, vell, ja. I believe zhere are two- no, zhree ozzer vimen on base. Our Engineer, vone of our Scouts, und vone of our Soldats."
He hadn't really been able to speak much with the lady Soldier, though Sykes had told him she was a relatively decent sort, though with a bit of a sarcastic streak. At least, that's what he'd been able to glean through the yelling and general military speak.
The other two he'd spoken with personally, and though they were both generally good young ladies, Hannah was almost painfully shy and Jane had an arrogant streak 3 miles wide.
But Madison was likely to find out about that soon enough.

The Medic cleared his throat, idly straightening his glasses.
"Vell, I shall leave you to get settled in. If zhere ist anyzhing you might have need of nich for, I'll be in zhe Infirmary."
He started towards back down the hall, then paused, recalling something of steadily growing importance, and poked his head back into the room.
"Vonce you are comfortable, vould you mind comingk in for a physical? Zhe Company records tend to be... Shoddy at best."
User avatar
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:30 pm
Location: Meddling in other people's business

Re: Back to Your Roots (Madison Intro, Open)

Postby Puffin » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:24 am

"T'ree? Dat's not bad." The gender ratio had been much more skewed in her experience. The fact that Gerhard mentioned other people was reassuring as well. She would have to check the records to see who else was on her team.

She stretched as Gerhard stepped outside. "T'anks, frien'. I shouldn't need much else, I'll prob'ly be lookin' around for myself mostly. And as for a checkup, sho'. I probably won' have much mo' betta things t' do."
User avatar
Puffin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Re: Back to Your Roots (Madison Intro, Open)

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:11 pm

The Medic nodded, offering a small smile.
"Zhank you, it vill help me be able to do mein job much more easily."
He paused a moment, brow furrowing in thought before he tentatively spoke up again.
"Ah... A few of our number are sort of... Special. Please don't be alarmed if you come across zhem, ja?"
Not the best warning, but he doubted she would believe that they had a part-bird Scout and a Soldier with fur like a wolf until she saw them for herself. He certainly hadn't...

Feeling he had wasted enough of the young woman's time, Gerhard gave a last wave and started back towards his Infirmary, idly peaking into the various room as he passed in the hopes that, just maybe, he'd be able to find one of their missing teammates.
User avatar
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:30 pm
Location: Meddling in other people's business


Return to The Docks

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron