What can be found, yet cannot be lost. (for Fritz)

The swamp that is a fixture surrounding the battlefield. The swamp, like most, is quite full of trees, moss, and most notably leeches. There are some strange things that pop out of the waters; are you willing to brave into them?

What can be found, yet cannot be lost. (for Fritz)

Postby Yuri Vanavich Karloff » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:18 am

Yuri stood in the swamps outside of the base, a relatively straight branch of cypress he'd found on the quagmire's floor held tightly in his hand. Using the branch as a third leg, he walked through the forests, exploring. Each of his steps were a three part step, first to find his footing, second to test his weight, and then finally to lean in. The ceasefire was grating on him. There were only so many times that he could clean his weapon, only so many times he could sit around and try to convince his team that he was worth talking to. He sighed, a long, rattling sigh.

Last year, along with vowing to support his family, he had decided that he would stop trying to slowly kill himself. Cigarettes had been one of his many vices, and he had decided to give them up. In place of his smooth, relaxing addiction, he had picked up the habit of quelling his desires with peanuts. They were inexpensive, rather neutral in flavor, and low in calories. But with little else to do, Yuri had developed his addiction into a challenge, and would flick each peanut into his mouth. If he didn't catch it, he didn't eat it.

And so Yuri wandered into the forest, wearing only his boots, jeans, and undershirt. It was hot, and he need not identify himself as a red by wearing his vest, for it was a ceasefire. He had his identification badge, and had borrowed a pistol in case something nastier than the insects came after him, preferring to travel light into the thick forest.

The behemoth of a man was walking along the route back to the docks, reminding himself of that which he was already familiar, and was enjoying himself. It had been a long time since he could simply walk, and enjoy the walking. He breathed in deep, the muscles underneath his chubbiness showing in his wide chest. And on he walked.
Yuri Vanavich Karloff

Re: What can be found, yet cannot be lost. (for Fritz)

Postby Bartholomäus Fritz Brotmarkel » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:54 am

Fritz was frantic. He had looked everywhere in the kitchen, he had dumped out the contents of his bag thrice, he went back and forth in the base too many times to count. He couldn't find his leather bracelet.

"I didn't take it off did I? Oh no I never take it off, it must've fallen off, BUT WHERE??" Biting his nails did no help, but he couldn't stop. It was a bad habit he just had. He had looked EVERYWHERE in the base. "In zhe base..." He gasped, suddenly realizing he hadn't checked outside. "Zhe docks!!! It must've fallen off vhen I arrived!!"

In a flash, Bartholomäus had a coat on and was out the door. Running was dangerous on the pathway's boards, so he speedwalked. He kept his eye out for anything that might resemble his bracelet, but so far he hadn't found anything. He was nearing the docks, and as he drew nearer and nearer his hope grew dimmer and dimmer.
Bartholomäus Fritz Brotmarkel

Postby Yuri Vanavich Karloff » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:35 am

Yuri was walking along the path he had taken into the base when he noticed a few yards north, there was another path, laid out with rickety wooden slats, that seemed to wind lazily between the two points. With a slight jump, he went from the wild path he had forded himself to the apparently pre-determined path. Kneeling down a little, he looked at the slats. They were old, and tired, rotten almost all the way through. He doubted the boards would take the shock from him jumping again.

With a strained grunt, Yuri lifted himself back up to standing, pushing off from his knees to stand again. With slow steps, though putting more trust in the wood than the swamps, he moved on down the path, looking amorously up at the weeping cypress, the spanish moss on their branches drooping down like the running mascara of so many broken hearts. This place truly was beautiful. If only there weren't so many insec-wha?

Yuri felt beneath his boot soul a strangely soft piece of fauna. Everything else along this path was either a fallen branch or fallen leaf, but this felt more gummy. LIfting his boot, he looked down and saw a glint of metal against black leather. Kneeling down yet again, he carefully picked up the trinket, a wide leather wrist band with a single grommet passed through it. It was a simple thing, something that could have had a lot of love poured into by one person, but completely ignored by another. Someone had cared about this thing to bring it this deep in the swamps. It had been lost.

Speak of the devil. Coming down the path, not a hundred yards away was a young man, slight and frantic. Closing his large hand around the bracelet, he waved his other hand to the newcomer, not wanting to sneak up on him. Sneaking up on people in swamps tended to get you more bullet holes than handshakes.
Yuri Vanavich Karloff

Postby Bartholomäus Fritz Brotmarkel » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:34 pm

Fritz waved back at the large figure, mouth open in a happy grin. Three eyes were better than one. Perhaps he could help him find his bracelet.

Speedwalking was forgotten, and soon he was running straight for the other. Running in this swamp filled with plants and logs and junk on the ground probably wasn't such a good idea, especially when one didn't have any depth perception, and soon Fritz was sprawled face down upon the dirty swamp floor. "Nnhg..." He lifted his head up and propped himself up on one elbow. "S-Scheiss... Vhere are mein glasses...." He struggled up on his knees before rubbing his eyes with his fists, trying to figure out where they were. Everything was a blur, and he had no idea where the other man was. Being near sighted was a horrible fate.

Postby Yuri Vanavich Karloff » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Yuri smiled as he saw that the man in the distance was friendly, and stood waiting for him. He didn't want to run up and seem over eager, or hostile, and neither did he want to walk away and disappoint the man. He watched the lithe bundle of nerves start to jog towards him, and noticed how his head was up while running. It was a good posture to keep if your, say, running down an open track, but in a swamp laden with nothing but things reaching out to trip you, it was rather hazardous.

Shortly the man fell over, as expected, and walked slowly up, noticing that the man was without his glasses. Looking carefully down at the ground, he scanned all around for the things. He hadn't any idea what they looked like, but how special could glasses look? Thin, clear in most parts, frail. Stepping over to the young man, he knelt to look at a suspect patch of twigs and moss, "They are here somewhere. Do not fret."

As Yuri crouched, looking down, he saw something that was a bit out of his reach that could very well be the spectacles themselves. Lifting up at foot, he set it down an-CRACK!!!!! Yuri quickly lifted his foot up off of the rock his foot had found purchase on, and saw that the glasses were there. The left lense was perfectly fine, but the right was broken, almost shattered, but somehow still clinging to the frame. With a gulp, he lifted up the glasses to the young man, and said simply, "Um, sir... I think I have found your glasses. I am afraid I might have broken them..."
Yuri Vanavich Karloff

Postby Bartholomäus Fritz Brotmarkel » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:52 pm

Fritz sat there dumbly, not being able to do anything but sit. He could hear the man looking for glasses, and waited for the other to find them. His heart sank a bit when he heard the loud CRACK though.

He reached out, his hand groping the air for a few seconds before it finally rested upon the other's. He grabbed his eyewear and, after bringing them close to his face for inspection, sighed with relief. "Ah, zhey ah fine!" He brushed off some of the broken glass, leaving two large chunks in the frame before putting them back on. He looked back up at the man before asking, "How do I look?" and smiling a cutesy large smile on his face. Oh doctor, you're so silly sometimes.

Postby Yuri Vanavich Karloff » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:08 pm

Yuri smiled, reaching up to pat the young man on the back, "Looking good sir. Am glad to be seeing that I did not disable you..." before reaching up to try brush the last two chunks of glass out of the frail frame, but they held fast, only tiniest flecks falling off, the tiny pieces of molten silicon hitting a stone on the path with a slight tap. It would be a horror to think that this young man get hurt because of Yuri's stupid actions, though if the frames held onto the glass so firmly, he did not doubt the glass would hold further still. Yuri stood up, his old knees straining as he managed to righten up, and held his hand out for his knew friend, smiling a kind smile, "You really should not sit in the swamps. Even dry land can have leeches"

After he lifted the young man to his feet, the lift from his help actually picking the smaller man up off his feet for a second before setting him down, Yuri smiled yet again, offering his hand out to the young doctor, this time to shake his hand, "They kall me Yuri Vanavich Karloff. What do they kall you?"
Yuri Vanavich Karloff

Postby Bartholomäus Fritz Brotmarkel » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:52 pm

"I'm called Fritz" Yuri received a warm smile from Fritz, as he had forgotten about his bracelet for the moment. "I'm zhe medic for BLU. Vhat are you doing out here? I vas out looking-" and then it hit him. His smile faded into a blank and confused expression, not exactly frantic yet, nor totally freaked out, but not the sun beam smile it had just been a second ago. After a moment or two, it had kicked in, and the panic returned. "M-my bracelet!! I lost it out here!! Have you seen it???" He started pacing back and forth, back and forth. He was near crying. "Gahhhhhh!!!"

Postby Yuri Vanavich Karloff » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:27 pm

Yuri was happy to have met someone out here who didn't seem to have some sort of bug up their butt. Fritz here was just an innocent smiling person, with real, legetamite worries, cares and needs. Smiling, Yuri watched as the small man started to pace back and forth, not really having heard his words, lost in thought. After a moment of remembering, it finally clicked.

"Was little brace leather, with hole cut through middle, bright steel rivet set through?" Yuri questioned, digging though the many pockets and pouches on his belt, searching for the little diddy he'd found on the path earlier. Finally, he found it, and held it out to his new friend, "Is this being it?"
Yuri Vanavich Karloff

Postby Bartholomäus Fritz Brotmarkel » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:00 pm

"M-My.. My bracelet!!!" Fritz nearly toppled over the other, reaching out for his bracelet to make sure it was fine. Hmph, only a little dusty. "Z-Zhank you so much!!!!" He could hold his happiness no longer and proceeded to give the larger man the biggest hug he could manage. Had the man not been nearly eight feet, they may have both toppled over. But, since Fritz was so small himself, the strong stance of the huge Russian man kept them both on the ground.

Return to In The Swamp