Forging Bonds (Open; Participation Rewarded IC)

The swamp that is a fixture surrounding the battlefield. The swamp, like most, is quite full of trees, moss, and most notably leeches. There are some strange things that pop out of the waters; are you willing to brave into them?

Forging Bonds (Open; Participation Rewarded IC)

Postby Henry Adams » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:52 pm

It's been three weeks. Well done, jackass. There are at least two people that are going to kill you for this, right after they find out you aren't dead...
Eh, I've done worse.

To be perfectly fair, it was only supposed to be a three-day operation. How this helped Henry's case, an entire collective of lawyers would never tell. What had been two days of digging and fortifying and one day of working had turned into three days of tunneling and eighteen days of almost non-stop work.

It had all started shortly after the successful repair of Red's respawn system. Having gone through the files contained within the machine, Henry had noticed something odd. In all the residents of the base, one in particular had been there longer than anyone else in his barracks. Their very own Mr. Reid was very nearly one of the first Red's assigned to swamp-rat since its reopening, and had watched members come and go since then. This same red-headed rubber-jockey had recently been more than a touch reclusive, in this engy's opinion, and he was beginning to understand why.

After all of that time, and all of those lost team-mates, in addition to the many horrible things that had been happening in the last months, the poor guy was starting to crack. Well, that just wasn't alright, so Henry resolved to acknowledge the pyro's loyalty and seniority with a gift. He had just the right thing in mind, and in order to make it, he was going to have to go old-school, so off into the swamp he went to do what he could with the natural resources at hand. One day's forging turned into two, then five, then fifteen, as he had more and more ideas for what to do with his equipment, and gifts to give everyone who he had come to know as friends in this gods-forsaken land.

A little bit of hunting every day and a few hours of sleep every night to keep himself running were all rewarded tangibly, in the items he crafted, and existentially, with the 24-hour sleep-binge that he ended it with. When all was said and done, he made his way back to home-base, pack in hand, and marked an easy-enough path back to his little home away from base. He stepped onto the porch of the little shack that had been the meeting grounds for wonderful acts of kindness in the past, and drew a large cow-bell from the pack, and proceeded to bang it incessantly, attempting to call the attention of everyone that he could.

"HEEEEY, you GUUUUYS!"
Henry Adams

Re: Forging Bonds (Open; Participation Rewarded IC)

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:30 am

Large conical ears perked up at hearing the decidedly unfamiliar noise, but the voice that followed was not only familiar but welcome. Jericho scrambled to his feet, listening hard, just to be sure, then barreled off as quickly as he could to go find Connal.

Across the water, another pair of sharp ears caught onto the noise, and Gerhard poked his head out the Infirmary window to see what was going on. After listening for a little bit, he leaned out a bit further, cupped his hands around his mouth, and yelled back.
"HENRY?!!! IST ZHAT YOU?!!
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Connal Reid » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:14 am

Connal, at that moment, was lying on his back on the floor of the common room, staring up at the television. He didn't even know what kind of program was even on, though there looked like some kind of guy with either a large mustache, or a lizard on his face. There was too much static to be sure of anything, but he was tired of trying to fight with it. The Pyro was contemplating on whether or not he should give up and go get his boombox when he heard the unmistakable footfalls of his best friend. Who sounded like he was in a bit of a hurry. "Wha's up, Jer?" he called out, not bothering to move from where he lay.
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Tihun - BLU Heavy Hyena Bitch
Connal Reid
Colonel

Location: Just follow the sound of the music.//Somewhere, idk

Postby Henry Adams » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:57 am

"GerRYYYYYYY! Round up the squad! I come bearing gifts!" Giving the cowbell one last hearty shake, he let it drop to the ground. He slung his pack onto a thick nail in the wall and watched as it began to bend under the weight.

Did I carry that? Jesus, all this outdoorsy time is good for you.

Henry wasn't entirely certain of what was going on in the Red side of the swamp, but he did know that a certain patchwork hybrid had ears like radar, and with a high-pitched sound like the bell, it shouldn't take long for him to stir up a fuss. And, of course, when that guy stirred something up, the other one was sure to get caught in it.
Henry Adams

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:07 pm

Jericho all but bounced on top of the ginger Pyro, wriggling all over with excitement as he moved to get his Master up on his feet. It was amazingly difficult to not start barking up a storm, restricting himself to actual words rather than just excited animal noise. "Party! Party party party! Henry's back, throwin' party!" The chimera didn't actually know if it was a party, but the BLU Engineer was calling together everyone within earshot, so it had to be something big and probably fun. And Connal could use some fun.

Gerhard chuckled softly, tentacles wriggling in good cheer. Yes, that was indeed their eccentric Engineer...
"ALRIGHT! BE RIGHT ZHERE!"
The Medic retreated from the window, straightening his clothing before he trundled off into the base at large. First stop was next door to check and see if their other Engineer had resurfaced, sighing when the mousey little man failed to appear. He'd only been around a short time, he couldn't help but wonder what had happened to the fellow...
Shaking his head, the Medic continued onward, wondering if anyone was in the kitchen.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Connal Reid » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:55 pm

"'Back?' I didn't know he was gone," the Michigander admitted, letting himself get pushed upright. Once stood, he gave a stretch, and gave a quick look around. While he didn't seem to share quite the same level of enthusiasm as his patchwork friend, he certainly didn't seem disinterested. "Hey, think we should get somma the others in on this?" he suggested. "I'm pretty sure Henry an' Nik are buds, and, y'know, him an' Kurt have gotta be at least friendly t' each other, considerin' they're both Engies." Maybe he should go ahead and get his boombox after all. Parties were always better with music.
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Connal Reid
Colonel

watch me be like three people and a dog

Postby Puffin » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:29 pm

Jericho wasn't the only one who had heard the bell ringing. Niklas was puzzled but rather indifferent at first, but it was Jericho's excitement and jumping around that prompted him to get up and poke his head out the window to see what the fuss was about. The action was a bit far away for him to clearly make out, but there was someone out on the BLU porch. He squinted, when the voice calling out from across the water and the sudden glint of metal told him exactly what he needed to know.

"Doggie! He came back!" he shook a certain big sleepy fuzzball from the nap he was taking on the infirmary floor. Grey, upon realizing his master had disappeared a few weeks ago, promptly took up residence with his second favorite person. Niklas hadn't particularly minded, but he had worried all the same what had become of his Engie friend.

But he was back, apparently. The medic wasn't entirely sure if he should punch Henry in the face or hug him, but that was a decision he supposed could be made on the way. "Come, doggie!" Niklas didn't bother finding shoes before heading out the door. Grey, though he wasn't sure entirely what was going on, sensed the excitement and followed, tongue lolling out the side of his mouth and tail wagging exuberantly all the way. Once they were outside, the pair broke into a run, the pent up energy from weeks of boredom finally uncontainable.

Across the water, Lan Feng, who was heading out to the front porch to check out the commotion (and for a smoke break), was nearly bowled over by a very excited and surprisingly fast moving Madison, who had recognized the voice immediately and had torn herself from her daydreams almost immediately. "Sorry!" She called out over her shoulder to the much smaller and wide eyed pyro, who was just glad she had avoided a potential disaster. "Gerhard? What's going on...?" Madison had disapepared around the corner before any explanation could be reached.

Regardless, before Henry would know it, he would find himself swept up off his feet and into a big hug by a very happy heavy. "I knew you was comin' back! I knew it!"
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Oh jesus that's my spine

Postby Henry Adams » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:22 pm

Inertia, as a rule, didn't tend to favor our poor engy, and a big hug from a happy heavy holds about as much force as a full tackle from a college quarter-back. After the initial shock of impact was over, Henry let out a small grunt and returned the hug.

"Not that I don't appreciate the sentiment, but I can't use my arms in this state, and I need them to give you your gift."

The charging medic and his canine sidekick had, as of yet, gone unnoticed, but with his feet once more firmly planted on ground, he did notice the little pyro on the porch for long enough to smile and give a beckoning wave.
Henry Adams

Postby 12 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:54 pm

12 had crept up behind Lan Feng in the meantime, straightening up and peering over his teammate in order to get a better look at what all was going on in the swamp. That had definitely sounded like Henry, but he hadn't been absolutely sure until he'd taken a look for himself--and when it was clear who it was, he took the same route Madison had, albeit with a larger amount of strides and a few almost stumbles from some unexpected roots catching on talons. The hybrid didn't slam into Henry, but he did manage to come fairly close, stopping just short of another collision due to sheer luck and a partially unintentional spreading of wings. It was all of five seconds before the Engineer would have a bird fussing at him, looking him over for any nicks or injuries and fidgeting in place the entire time; it was almost like waiting to open a gift, though 12 had no intention of tearing Henry open in any way, shape, or form. When it looked like Madison was done with her hug for the moment, he went ahead and repeated that gesture, enveloping the BLU with his wings in a far less spine-damaging way, only briefly grumbling about the lack of hands. He released his teammate after what he figured was a bit too long, taking an awkward half-step back to return some of Henry's space before tucking his wings in again. That didn't mean he was settled by any stretch of the word, but he managed to smother his grin in exchange for a mock-serious expression.

"The hell'd you go? I--We got all worried, and I didn't see you on any of my patrols or anythin'." He paused, frowning at the ground before closing the distance again and giving Henry a second hug. He knew was bad at words anyway, so that would probably get his point across better. Hopefully.

- - -

"I like t'think we're friendly, now." Kurt had come in for the tail end of that conversation, and was now leaning on the back of the couch, watching the Pyro with a decidedly confused expression. "There any reason you're on th' floor, pal? An' what's 'is 'bout a party?" That was more directed to Jericho than Connal, and at this point, the Engineer could say with certainty that he had absolutely no idea what was going on. He should've gone ahead and taken a look at what all was causing the racket, he figured. Ah well, somebody had to have a clue as to current events, though it wasn't him. "Sounds like things're gonna get a l'il more innerestin', though. Whatever it is, s'long's it don' end with or involve strip poker, I reckon I'm in."
Lieutenant

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:18 am

Rather than being annoyed or perturbed by the Pyro's reply, the chimera just laughed as he wound about the Pyro's legs, his heavy tail wriggling spastically in a rush of good cheer. "Nik's got Grey, dog'll show him out. C'mon! Let's go!" He wanted to go say hello to everyone, give Henry a hug and maybe play a bit with Grey... Anything to see Connal smile.

Back in BLU base, Gerhard narrowly avoided Hurricane Maddie, half-squashing himself against the wall to avoid her thundering bulk, but he couldn't bring himself to be annoyed, knowing that she was just happy to hear their Engineer had popped up out of the woodwork at last. Removing himself from the wall and moving to straighten his coat, he glanced up at hearing the some-what familiar voice of their lone Pyro.
"Ah, Frau Feng. Pardon zhe uproar, but Henry hast just reappeared on our doorstep. It's not often somevone manages to make it back from being lost for so long. Care to join us?"
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Connal Reid » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:58 am

Connal blinked and looked up, not noticing that anyone else had entered the room. Why he was on the floor? "I dunno, I just felt like it, I guess," he answered, with a shrug. However, he couldn't hold a straight face with Jericho so excited. The redhead chuckled, and said, "Alright, alright, buddy. Lead the way, just remember t' stop by the front porch so I can get my boots on." Turning back to Kurt, and because Jericho seemed close to losing coherency, he tried to answer, "I guess Henry's showed up and throwing a... a coming home party, maybe? I 'unno, let's jus' follow Jer."

And follow he did, including the stop to get his boots on. He thought about bringing his axe, as this would be the first time he had left the base without a weapon since... He wasn't even sure how long. However, he reasoned, there would be plenty of other people, and outside of that one time Henry tranqed him, there had never been a reason to have a weapon when that BLU was around. When they started heading towards the shack, Connal couldn't help but notice the fog seemed much more faint that day than it normally was. It was to the point where he could actually make out who it was up ahead, if he focused hard enough. "It's like even the swamp is happy..." he thought out loud.
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Connal Reid
Colonel

Postby Penultimate Pi » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:56 am

"INCOMIN'!"

Adrian had been switching between locking himself up in the Weapons Lab, his own "Explosives Lab", the exercise room and the Weapons Range (not necessarily in that order or frequency). Considering none of them were occupied, it was a good chance to get some improvement and development time to mess with the nuclear samples he took from the warehouse ruins long ago. But the Weapons Lab had been the least visited, only for looking for spare parts: Adrian personally could not bear knowing that Henry was somehow gone, nor particularly understand why he was gone.

But from what he was hearing, he was back. And luckily, the Demoman wasn't busy.

Strapping on his gear, Adiran jumped out the window of his converted guest room, landing with a harsh thump on the bare ground and rushing to where all the commotion was. When Henry was one of the many confirmed to be there, the demolitionist quickly hopped onto the porch, spouting out, "Man, Henry, haven't seen you in forever n' a half! What've you been up to?"
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Puffin » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:51 am

"Sorry," Madison said, realizing that she was hugging her friend a little too tightly. She couldn't help it, though. The threat of someone disappearing forever was very real, and the fact that it had seemingly happened to someone she was actually close to just made it worse. But he was back, and very much alive.

She set him down on the ground, giving a nod hello to the bouncy demoman who had suddenly bounced his way out the window and up onto the porch. "I second dat question," she said, trying to sound angry but failing miserably. "Where de hell you been and what you been doin' fo' so long, hmm?"

Inside, Lan Feng brushed a lock of hair from her face. "The engineer?" She had only bumped into him a handful of times, and all of those occasions he seemed preoccupied with some new project, so any conversation between them had been sparse. "But he came back safely? That's good." She followed behind Gerhard, simply content to observe what was going on, though she did return the little wave.

The seeming moment of calm didn't last very long, however. "Grey! SIC HIM!!" A fuzzy blur flew through the air and hit the newly freed engineer, knocking the pair over. Grey didn't waste any time in showering his master's face in kisses, all the while wagging his tail and doing that special, bounding dance that dogs do when they are so beside themselves with joy that they simply can't stop moving.

The first RED team member was quick to follow, though he didn't do any jumping, just laughing. The haphazard run through the swamp hadn't been entirely without peril. Niklas was up to shins in mud, and had accumulated more than a few scratches on his limbs and one under his right eye from a low hanging branch that he had neglected to dodge.

Not that he had particularly cared. He was laughing too hard at the overexcited Grey on top of the hapless engineer. That was a good enough punishment, he supposed. He wandered on up to the porch without hesistation, deciding to throw the engineer a proverbial bone, firmly lifting the happy dog off of him and offering a hand in assistance. "Five minutes to explain yourself, Henry," he said, grinning.
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Postby Henry Adams » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:58 pm

Jesus, this is more people in one place than I've seen since the last time we killed tall dark and scaly. Who'da thunk...

"Alright, hugs all around, I get it." Returning all of the affection was far from the worst thing Henry'd had to do even just today, and he was glad to know that everyone cared. Believe it or not, he was a social creature by nature, albeit a very easily distracted one afflicted with tunnel-vision. After so long without contact, the sudden attention was almost shocking,and he was kicking himself internally for being the idiot who rang a bell and called for it. Still though, the thought that all of these people cared that he existed was comforting.

And then there was a dog.

In physics, force is dependent on many variables, which is why a 250lb. woman with muscles that could choke a python can still do considerably less damage in motion than a 150lb ball of fur moving at sufficient speed. Rather than being lifted into the air, Henry was now thrown onto the ground, as his favorite companion bounded about like a steroidal rabbit. When his next best friend offered a hand up with a shit-eating grin, he was all too happy to take advantage of a trick he'd learned many years ago in a drama course, and used that hand to pull himself up while dragging Niklas down to the ground.

"Jeeezus. Can't get a word in edgewise, these days."
Henry Adams

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:17 am

Jericho trundled along with barely contained excitement, padding alongside his Master as they ventured across the battlefield to the gathering. He couldn't help a cheerful bark at seeing Niklas, and he practically wiggled out of his skin at seeing Gray. Sure, the dog had been hanging out around their base, he'd seen him several times, but the thought of a good play-fight was always something that got him a bit charged.

The Medic smiled, eyes crinkling with the warmth of the expression, and he nodded as he began to lead the way outside at a much more sedate pace that Madison's imitation of a raging bull. "It is very good, Frau Feng, very good indeed..."
As the pair made their way outside, a third poked his head out of hiding, leaning out from the window of his attic nest to see what in the world was going on down below. Enrico quirked a brow, then picked up his rifle, using the scope to get a better look. Huh, looked like a bit of a get together of some sort. He'd heard the yelling, he wasn't deaf, but it was still surprising to see how quickly the two teams coagulated around the no-longer-missing Engineer.
Well, might as well go and get in on the amusement...
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Connal Reid » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:11 pm

Connal hadn't gone nearly as quickly as Niklas had. While it was nice to know that the Engineer was okay, he still really didn't know he was missing to begin with, so much of the excitement was lost on him (though, in retrospect, that did explain why the dog had been around so much). The oversized Pyro realized he wasn't feeling any of the uneasiness around so many BLUs that he had in the past, and wondered just when it was that it went away. Sometime before they all went and fought the giant monster that turned into Jasper, maybe.

When he caught up to the group, he couldn't think of what to say. "Uh, hi, Henry," was the first thing out of his mouth. It didn't seem right to leave it at that, and mentioning that he didn't know the BLU was missing seemed rude, so after a pause to think, Connal continued with, "Whatcha been up to?" That was... probably a dumb thing to say to someone who only just reappeared.
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Connal Reid
Colonel

Return to In The Swamp