The Sign says Don't Feed the Animals (monster)

The swamp that is a fixture surrounding the battlefield. The swamp, like most, is quite full of trees, moss, and most notably leeches. There are some strange things that pop out of the waters; are you willing to brave into them?

The Sign says Don't Feed the Animals (monster)

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:54 pm

The swamp wasn't exactly the best hunting grounds, but it'll do. Enrico's skills were adaptable for the place, heck he hunted in the desert, freezing cold snowy mountains... a swamp wasn't the worse of it all. Well... maybe before he heard of some monster lurking about. The Kiwi was currently working on a few gator traps, baiting huge hooks with parts of rabbit he caught a week earlier. He tied the cable to a tree, dropping the bait into the water. Yeah, a nice catch of ten to fifteen gators would be more than enough meat to fill the tables, and the leather hides would serve as good, from clothes, bags, heck even some belts for powering any machinery the Engies needed. A Gator was also good money, soon as he could get enough to sell in the next town over the swamp.

As he finished, the Enrico paused, hearing splashing around a bend into a small laggoon he knew of. "Haven't set up in thar..." He whispered, scratching under his hat before resetting it straight. Slowly, the man approached to investigate. As he turns the corner, he stops in his stride. There resting in the shallow water was something huge and red. It looked like a scute-less alligator, but with paddles instead of legs. The body was covered in scars, many injuries looking made by man. He approached quietly, not sure if it was dead or not and noticed one eye ruined by an arrow sticking straight up. "Don't... believe it." He whispered, having never believed the others of such a creature in the swamp.

Now standing in front of it, he wondered if it was alive, and if so was it dangerous. If dead... how long was it dead so he can salvage that leather at least. Waste not, want not. Something his father told him.
Rufus Schmitz

Re: The Sign says Don't Feed the Animals (monster)

Postby Tentacles » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:08 pm

The monster's festering wound had dulled its senses, which was the only reason Enrico had gotten so close without being detected - infection inflamed the tissue around its ruined eye, pus filled flesh radiating from the arrow's mark, over taking most of its head. Sheer force of will had kept it alive so far; i would have its revenge on the goddamned engineer and the fish smelling Medic.

It did manage to catch a whiff of the hunter, swinging its head in all directs as it attempted to find the source, algae and swamp debris sent splashing. It finally saw the Sniper out of the corner of its good eye, tilting its head to train its wicked eye on the New Zea lander. No. He was not some one on his shit list.

It made no difference.

The beast hoisted its self from the water, a warning growl breaking the silence of the swamp like a low motor.
Tentacles
Colonel

Location: Falling apart // Creeping around // BLU base // Trying not to get shot in the head

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:17 pm

Enrico moved back to avoid the splash. So it was alive afterall. He stared back, seeing that only working eye trained on him.. and that growl. "Whoa... easy buddy... Not gonna hurt ya." He said in a hushed voice, holding his hands up to show he wasn't armed. His eyes went to those teeth, seeing just how dangerous they were. He swallowed dryly, making sure there was enough running distance between him and 'Mr. Swampy'.

When Enrico's gaze returned to that arrow, he started to pity the creature. It was in pain, and just like any animal, would lash out, even if someone would help it. But then again, Enrico liked animals even though he hunted, he respected nature by not being wasteful and ensured ever part was used. "Easy big guy... how bout ya let me get that arrow out of ya? So it won't make it worse for ya?" He gestured a hand to the arrow, hoping the creature might take the hint and allow him to remove it. How to gain the monster's trust.....
Rufus Schmitz

I am inconsistant!

Postby Tentacles » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:30 pm

The monster feebly dug its flippers into the mud, attempting to charge Enrico, but fell short by several yards. It bellowed in frustration at not being able to get to its mark before falling back into a steady, constant growl, almost like the crocs the Sniper was used to hunting.

If the creature did understand anything the Sniper actually said, it seemed obviously agitated by the suggestion. It whipped its head back and forth, snapping a small tree in half in the process as it attempted to back peddle back into the swamp.
Tentacles
Colonel

Location: Falling apart // Creeping around // BLU base // Trying not to get shot in the head

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:36 pm

The man hummed in thought, backing away when the creature attempted to charged, if weakly at him. Seemed the thing didn't want the arrow out, could understand why. So... how to gain it's trust...

"Hey Bud.. hungry? I got lots of fresh meat if ya want?" He said, and goes into the pack he held on his back filled with fresh chunks of rabbit. Maybe offering it to the creature would slowly win it over. A few bites of rabbit wouldn't dent its hunger but he could always spare some gator meat later on. Plenty of the buggers in the swamp.

Holding up a rabbit leg, he waved it to the other's face. "Hey mate, lookie 'ere. Fresh rabbit. I know it ain't much, but it's yers if ya want it. Just open up that toothy smile of yers." He called out.
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Tentacles » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:51 pm

The monster gave pause at the sight of the fresh meat, though it continued to growl. And then its stomach began to join in the chorus...

No. It would not be some trained pet dog, taking treats for behaving like a passive little pet, no matter how wracked with hunger it was! How dare this bumbling bushman even dream of such a thing. Though a wicked plan did start to brew in its primitive mind. Snarling, it slid backwards through the mud until it was up to its neck in the murky water. It opened its mouth like a trained dolphin. So, the Sniper was trying to gets its trust eh? Two could play that game. It figured it could tempt the fool in closer, take him out deep in the swamp, probably do it by drowning him...sounded like a good plan.
Tentacles
Colonel

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:14 pm

The man smirks, and instead tosses the leg into the waiting jaws. "See? Just want to show I ain't gonna mess with ya if ya don't mess with me. Just asking a simple thing." He said, smiling before offering another piece of meat. "I hate to see ya in pain like that. Not fair some ass-twat aims his bow and fires it at ya fer no reason." Apparently no one told Enrico Gerhard shot the creature in the eye.

"Tell ya what.. ya let me take that arrow out of ya and fix ya up and I'll get ya all the meat ya want for a week, you alright with that? Then you can do watever ya pleased. I won't complain. One hunter to another, yea?" He said, it seemed this creature has some intelligence. "Besides... yer the first to actually listen to me since I somehow popped back to life. Everyone else back at base... they mean well but.. just not mah people. I'm used to one thing... they another. I just can't break habit..." He said, tossing another piece of meat out. "Wonder where you came from big fella.."
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Tentacles » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:27 pm

It gave a short snort of defeat as he realized the man was wise to what it was up to. As the Sniper spoke, it tugged itself up the muddy bank once more, keeping its wounded eye pointed away. As stubborn as it was, a full stomach seemed a decent trade off for becoming a tamed beast for this idiot hunter. He could still always kill the Sniper later...

As if to cut off the man's blabbering, the creature let out an exaggerated sigh, flopping down on the ground with the bolt facing the Sniper. Its growls subsided as it grunted now with impatience.
Tentacles
Colonel

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:36 pm

"Oh? Sorry..." Enrico noted the sigh like sound and tossed another piece of meat towards the creature. "Just miss chatting with someone or something that'd listen back." He apologized, and tossed a piece for good measure. When he noticed the arrow pointed in his direction, Enrico slowly stood up and approached. "Lettin' me get that out of ya?" He asked, approaching closer to get a better look. He was in the danger zone now. He treated this approach no different than a large gator in a trap.

Quietly, his hand reaches down to touch that skin. Saying nothing, he calmly patted the leathery skin. "Feels real nice..." He commented after a while. Now he could see the damage and it wasn't pretty. "Pulling it out straight isn't gonna be a cake walk.. Yer gonna bleed out that way, plus being fuckin' painful... " He said, stroking that skin. "Dunno if I have stuff in mah first aid kit. May have to get pain killers for ya. Can ya hold off havin' it pulled a day? I can come back tomorrow to have it removed. I know it won't bring vision back, but it'll make it more comfortable at least?" He asked, as if expecting a answer out of the thing. "Promise to come back tomorrow round same time and I'll see if I can't get better stuff out of Medbay as well as more meat for ya."

He hoped his quiet voice assured the monster and his promise.
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Tentacles » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:51 pm

The monster bit back a growl as the Sniper touched it. At the end of the day it was still, in some sense, a wild animal, and the stroking felt unnatural. Still, it permitted the idle petting. For the moment.

It rolled back on its belly. Medical treatment and the bolt taken out of its eye and a free meal? Yes. It would wait to murder the Sniper. This is what it assured itself. Let the moron become a doctor and a servant before becoming dinner.

Outwardly, it let out a soft puff of air in the Sniper's direction and shimmied back into the swamp. Oh, you could bet your buttons it would be back. But for now, it disappeared under the black waters without a trace.
Tentacles
Colonel

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:59 pm

The man backed away and watched as the beast moved off and into the swamp. He stood there, wet up to his knees before turning to leave. No sense standing in leech invested waters. It seemed the creature would be back. So all it had to take Enrico was bagging a large gator to feed "Mr. Swampy", and sneak out special med kits from Gerhard's stash.

Packing his gear, Enrico returned to his gator traps, checking to see if something had taken the bait...
Rufus Schmitz

ship is sinking, there's a leak in the boiler room

Postby Tentacles » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:00 pm

It was led only by its nose as it attempted to find the clearing where it encountered the idiot Sniper. Its snout was now lined in a thousand cuts from where it scraped against the bottom of the swamp as it nosed its way towards shallower waters. Being blind was harder then it seemed, and it knew it must have looked like a drunken moron as it paddled blindly.

It didn't make it any less dangerous however.

When the monster felt it had swam far enough, it hauled itself out onto the muddy shore. Maybe the Sniper would be able to find him instead. It let out a soft, sing-song grunt of impatience and misery. It would have the Spy's blood as well.
Tentacles
Colonel

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:05 pm

It had been a few days only because Enrico had to time it just right to sneak into Medbay and snatch a few small supplies here and there without getting caught. Otherwise that medic Gerhard wouldn't let him hear the end of it. Waiting by the side of an embankment under the shade while enjoying a beer, he heard the moan in the small pool. Getting up, he immediately spotted the creature beached on the muddy banks looking miserable as ever.

"Sorry it's been a few days but... it was hard getting gear and... What's happened!?" He said as he approached it, cautiously at first before resting a hand to it's cut up snout. "Fuckin'... hell what did you do?" He said then glanced upwards. A frown deepened on his face. "You can't see at all?" That was not good. Losing one eye, most animals could handle it and adapt but to lose both eyes now? Just horrible. "Well.. just hang on a while, I got some food for you and I'll clean out what needs cleanin'." He said and turned to go grab his supplies.

Feeding gators or crocs was simple enough in that you could toss them food and they'll catch it or snatch it off the side of the banks. "Swampy" however, could not see his meals. Enrico approached with a lengthy piece of skinned alligator meat. "Food's here Buddy... Don't snap mah arm off. I need it to fix you up at least." He gestured the tip of meat against the monster's toothy jaw. "I seriously doubt you respawn like the rest of us."
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Tentacles » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:17 pm

The monster let out an irate huff as the Sniper approached. It snarled as Enrico put a hand to its sore snout, jerking its head to the side. This touchy-feely crap was still taking some getting used to.

No, the creature wasn't going to snap the idiot's arm off. Not just yet, it needed hands to clean out its raw and open socket. It hissed in frustration - why not just drop the meat then? With utmost care not to clip off one of the Sniper's fingers, the monster accepted the hunk of alligator, snapping it down into its gullet.
Tentacles
Colonel

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:51 pm

The hunter watched the monster take the meal. Okay... time to make this quick.

"Hold still..." He said, pulling out a capped syringe. That had to be the hardest thing to steal from the infirmary was a shot to numb out any pain. Carefully, he pinches a small section of skin, ripping the cap off in his teeth. Without any hesitation, he pokes the needle between two scales, and immediately injects the morphine. He barely has time to take the needle out as he's given a good smack away from the poke. "Sorry... it had to be done!" He calls out, approaching back to the creature's side.

"I need to wait a few minutes, get ya nice and numb... then first thing's first... that arrow." He explained, gingerly rubbing the injection site. "Stay calm for me buddy. This isn't easy as it was when I did this fer horses."
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Tentacles » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:12 pm

The pinch was unexpected. It was quite used to being injected during its time in the labs, but typically it saw those coming. A bellow escaped its maw as it thrashed and smacked Enrico to the side. Though it felt a little...funny.

The world became softer around the edges, and it became harder to concentrate. It felt a little dizzy, disoriented even. What was in that syringe? It definitely wasn't pain killer.

The monster let out a soft cry of confusion.
Tentacles
Colonel

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:28 pm

Seeing it calmed down, Enrico approached the older eye wound. "Okay.. " he started, eyeing those teeth first before placing a towel around the rotten shaft. This will keep any blood and gore from squirting out. "Unfortunately... only way that's coming out is pulling it out." He said, positioning himself. "I know I have ya numbed a little.. but it's still gonna hurt before I clean it and seal it shut with a medkit." Count on Enrico to use one of the battlefield medkits that are often thrown about during fights but since they has yet to be one, taking one wouldn't be missed.

Grabbing the arrow shaft, he would receive a warning growl. "Sorry... it has to be done if ya want to recover... On the count of 3.... One... Two... three!" He shouts and pulls with his might to remove the arrow. The blood around it was black like tar, squirting out with a fowl odor of rot. Immediately Enrico uses the same towel to press his hand up against it, using pressure to stop the bleeding... but it won't keep a wild creature from thrashing around.
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Tentacles » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:42 pm

Pulling...pulling it out? The morphine had put the monster in such a state of relaxation it wasn't comprehending entirely what Enrico was suggesting. It didn't have a chance to react until the bolt had been forcibly ripped from the infected flesh itself.

It wasn't just blood that squirted from the wound, but pus - and buckets of it. As the monster thrashed and hissed, blood and pus started to pool in a shallow puddle around the Sniper's boots. The towel was rapidly soaked through, sopping wet with fluids in seconds.

Idiot. Idiot idiot IDIOT. The monster forced itself to calm with considerable effort, gritting its teeth as it slammed itself against the ground with the now open wound facing up. The Sniper better find a way to stop the bleeding, quickly.
Tentacles
Colonel

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:03 pm

"Oh fuck!" He hadn't expected the infection to be that bad, having compared the monster to gators in having the ability to deter infections. Still, he had a small plan. Now Enrico never smoked, but it always came in handy to have a lighter on hand. "Just sit still a tick..." He mumbled, taking the same arrow and washing the head in the water. Once the metal was reveal, he set to work on heating the metal with fire. All the while, the towel pressed up against the monster's eye wound was starting to slide off and keeping the blood from flowing.

"Okay... this is gonna be hot, but it'll seal off the injury." He adds and presses the flat side of the arrow against the wound, burning flesh to stop blood flow and hopefully kill off any lingering infections. Hopefully was certainly the word, after all he wasn't a vet or medic, just had a few techniques in his memory from his days rearing horses back home.
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Tentacles » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:17 pm

Birds scattered from the trees as the monster shrieked in pain from the make shift cauterization tool. The simple solution did work - the wound closed into a solid black burned mass. But it hurt as much as one might imagine a hot piece of metal pressed to a throbbing open sore would hurt.

That was enough. It attempted to back peddle through the mud that was now slick with its own blood, growling. If the Sniper chose to stop the creature before it could vanish back into the waters, he'd best be careful about it.
Tentacles
Colonel

Next

Return to In The Swamp