Swamp-Party! (All are Invited)

The swamp that is a fixture surrounding the battlefield. The swamp, like most, is quite full of trees, moss, and most notably leeches. There are some strange things that pop out of the waters; are you willing to brave into them?

Swamp-Party! (All are Invited)

Postby Henry Adams » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:48 pm

Henry clanked around the room, tacking the last bit of decoration onto the wall. Balloons ranging from standard one-color to bright 'Happy-Birthday' were tied to damn near everything. Streamers hung from the ceiling at least once every square foot, draping to just over his head. Meanwhile, in the corner, several old ice-chests sat, filled to the brim with every kind of alcohol the nearby town could offer.

He hefted a massive plate of desserts onto a decorated table, the platter covered in different kinds of brownie, cookie, and cheesecake, while several different plates of cake and pie surrounded bowls of chips, popcorn, and various other snacks. He had set up an impromptu stage in one corner, including spot-lights and a small karaoke machine that a local junk shop had on display.

All in all, it was a decent set-up, and he was proud that he'd managed to do all of it without assistance. Tonight, he had equipped his monkey's palm leg, to allow him to better laze on the many comfy chairs and couches that he had strewn around the building, using the foot to grab snacks and drinks, rather than making the effort to move his arms. Taking a bottle of chilled rum out of the cooler, he mixed in a can of pepsi-cola and sat, waiting for others to arrive.
Henry Adams

Re: Swamp-Party! (All are Invited)

Postby Puffin » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:29 pm

Niklas had been impressed that the mysterious BLU engineer had managed to sneak in and post a note on their bulletin board without anyone noticing. Impressed, and a little worried. But then again, this was the same group that had managed to have a team member get incredibly sick and go missing, so he guessed it couldn't be helped.

But damned if he didn't need something to take his mind off this dreary atmosphere and situation. The appearance of a swamp monster, the disappearance of a teammate, and general boredom had left him sorely in need of release, and more importantly, fun and socialization. It was a quiet base with no battles and people largely keeping to themselves, and he was itching for a decent conversation.

So when he made his way over to the shack, dressed in civilian clothing and unarmed, he did it with gusto. He had his ukelele strapped to his back, his clarinet case in one hand, and a bottle of good gin in the other. Those were all he really needed for a good time anyway, especially with other people around.

Upon reaching the door, he transferred the bottle to his other hand and rapped on the door a few times. "Hallååååå..." he said, his deep voice calling out to anyone who would listen. "Anybody home in there?"
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Postby Henry Adams » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:53 pm

Henry bucked himself off of the couch, placing his drink on the small coffee table he had been resting his leg on. "Heeeey! Somebody showed up!" He looked the long-tall medic up and down, grinning all the while. This man was something of a monster, but he showed up with with two instruments and a bottle of gin, so there was no possible way for him to be a bad guy. "You look new. Name's Henry Adams, Blue weapon's tech. Pleasure to meetchya." Henry strode over and gave the man a hearty handshake, then practically shoved him into a comfy chair his third hand pushing at the knee to buckle it into a sitting position, beaming all the while.

"Can I get you something? Schnapps, rum, brownies, cocaine, etc.? That last one might be a bit beyond my reach, in retrospect, but I have to offer."
Henry Adams

Postby Puffin » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:23 am

Though Henry's decorations were above his head, Niklas was taller, so as soon as he stepped through the doorway the first thing that he got was a faceful of streamers. He brushed them away, unable to stay angry in the face of his host's enthusiasm and charm. This was the first person he'd talked to in a while that wasn't worried about the swamp monster, withdrawn, or intimidated by him. It was a much needed change of pace.

"Pleasure to meet you, Henry. I'm Niklas Lind, RED medic and this base's newest victim," he said cheerily, returning the man's handshake. He wasn't expecting the pressure on his leg however, and sank down into the chair without much resistance. He looked down and raised his eyebrows in surprise. He had never seen a prosthesis with such a design before. "I like your leg. Build it yourself?" He wasn't sure what purpose that oddly shaped foot served, but it was probably practical. Probably.

He laughed heartily at the engineer's kind offer. "Nothing just yet, thank you. I have a bottle of good gin here that I'd like to drink while I'm still sober enough to enjoy it." he set down his things, reaching behind him to get his ukelele. He unpacked the little instrument and began to tune it as he spoke. "Of course, you're welcome to try some If you'd like."
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Postby Henry Adams » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:53 am

"Yknow, Gin's never been my drink. I much prefer a good rum, or a hearty whiskey, but then, I'm programmed for it. Irish-german, among other things. if this little hootenany ever takes off, we ought to see who can go longer before we die of alcohol poisoning. I find it's usually worth the hangover."

henry picked up his drink again, and took a swig. "The leg is a recent addition... Had an incident on the docks a few days back. It didn't kill me, so I took the opportunity to make some improvements. This one is my 'I'm too lazy to use my arms' attachment. Also makes a good assistant for when you just need that extra hand to keep those cardboard boxes closed. Things like that." Henry eyed the ukelele with just a small bit of envy. He had once learned to play guitar, and spent some time fiddling around with banjos and ukeleles in an attempt to find the most dramatic and extreme song possible to convert into the silly sound of a vigorously played banjo.

"Do you mind if I give that a shot? It's been a while since I've had a chance to play..."
Henry Adams

Postby Puffin » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:46 pm

"I'm not one much for rum, though I do enjoy whiskey. I'll generally take any kind of liquor though, I don't care for beer." Niklas continued twisting the tuning pegs on his little instrument, plucking the strings as he talked. "A drinking contest, eh? Well, you did get some nice chairs to pass out in." In his opinion the setup was a bit excessive, but it was a nice gesture, and much preferred to nothing at all.

His expression fell a bit once Henry mentioned the story about his leg. "You ran into our new friend the swamp thing, didn't you?" He sighed and sank back into his chair. That wasn't a good sign. But the Engineer seemed to be recuperating well, even with a functional prosthesis so soon. And he wasn't going to let Mr. Giant Swamp Lizard ruin his fun tonight. "I'm impressed, really. The fact that you're up and walking so soon after the injury, and the fact that you've fashioned a prosthetic leg with such precision of movement despite being a transfemoral amputee is really astonishing. I wouldn't think you'd be able to fashion something that could even rotate at the ankle without any lower leg muscles at all, let alone another hand of sorts."

When he had finished tuning the ukelele, he smiled and handed it to Henry, who had been eying it even before asking to try it. He took the opportunity to get up and get himself a cup, pouring himself some of the gin he had brought. He took a swig, enjoying the burn of alcohol as it rolled down his throat. Sighing happily, he turned back to Henry. "So, do you play often?"
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:38 pm

{Because I'm an idiot and Henry insisted}

Jericho was pretty sure this was going to end badly.
Their newly resident swamp monster wasn't dumb, after all, and even with its aquatic limitations, he had a feeling the thing was liable to cause some trouble one way or another. All the better reason for him to be doing what he was doing.
He'd seen the new Medic tromping out the door just as he'd been about to drop off for a nap in his favorite armchair in the common room, and was immediately on the man's figurative tail. They were already missing one doctor, better keep an eye on they one they still had, especially with the man going off into the swamp.
Of course, the lights and balloons and chairs set up had caught the chimera pretty well off guard, and he just about swatted himself over the head as he remembered.
Right, that BLU Engineer's party thingy...

Shaking his head, the patchworked hybrid ignored the BLU and went to sniffing around the perimeter, an ear cocked towards the water.
Let the others party, he was going to make sure nobody got themselves eaten.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Henry Adams » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:00 am

Henry couldn't help but appreciate the man's praise over his shiny new leg. He felt his shoulders warm as the compliment and the alcohol began to do its work. "Thank you, thank you, sir. I've had to make similar bits for otehr mercs and guys on my team before. The hand is definitely a new development, but the rest is getting kind of old hat among the more danger-prone members of the League. The trick is to work with what you've been given. The human body is a fully functioning machine in it's own right, and there's no reason to reinvent the wheel when you've got a working design right in front of you."

Taking the instrument gingerly, he picked out a few notes and grinned down at his own knees. Flopping back onto the couch, he kicked up his heels. "I haven't gotten to since about this time last year, actually. I wasn't half bad, though. Let me see what I still remember..." Plucking somewhat randomly at first, then drifting into a quick succession of what could only be described as trills, Henry settled into the first tune that popped into his head, and then was swept into the song.

"The mama pajama roooollled outta bed and she ran to the po-lice station. Wheen the papa found out he began to shout and they staaaarted the investigatioon."
Henry Adams

Postby Puffin » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:01 pm

Niklas nodded in agreement as he took another swig. "I'll be the first to admit that my knowledge of physics and mechanics is pretty limited, but the designing process of prosthetic limbs has always interested me. You need a good understanding of both anatomy and engineering to create a functioning limb, after all. But if someone were to lose a limb, best to be the man who can build himself a new one." He took another sip and sat down. "Need to take things one step at a time," he said, wiggling his eyebrows.

He sat back and watched Henry pluck the little instrument, eager to see what he was capable of. He was about to take another sip when the man started singing, and Niklas burst out laughing. Was he getting tipsy already? Well, he couldn't blame the guy. When the Engineer had finished his little song he clapped a bit. "What else do you know? We should play together," he said, putting down his cup and opening his clarinet case.
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Henry Adams » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:11 pm

[Jesus it's hard to find good songs for ukelele-esque instruments and clarinet XP]

Henry rubbed the back of his neck and grinned into his glass, half staring at his knees at the viking's applause.

"Let's see, I think the only thing I know for uke AND clarinet is a tune by Supertramp. I guess I could give that one a try, if you think you can follow along."

He shifted into a more comfortable position on the couch, taking another drink to loosen his nerves. "Here goes nothin', I guess." It started with a simple, repetitive progression. The mood was low and slow; peaceful to the point of being almost catatonically soothing.

"Even in the quietest moments
I wish I knew what I had to do.
And even though the sun is shining,
Well I feel the rain, here it comes again, dear.
And even when you showed me
My heart was out of tune
For there's a shadow of doubt that's not letting me find you too soon.

The music that you gave me,
The language of my soul.
Oh Lord, I want to be with you.
Won't you let me come in from the cold?

Don't you let the sun fade away.
Don't you let the sun fade away.
Don't you let the sun be leaving.
Won't you come to me soon?

And even though the stars are glistening,
and the ocean's deep.
I just go to sleep.
And then I create the silent movie;
You become the star. Is that what you are, dear?
Your whisper tells a secret,
Your laughter brings me joy.
And a wonderous feeling, that I'm nature's own little boy.

But still the tears keep falling.
They're raining from the sky.
Well there's a lot of me got to go under before I get high.

Don't you let the sun disappear.
Don't you let the sun disappear.
Don't you let the sun be leaving.
No, you can't be leaving my life.
Say that you won't be leaving my life.
Say that you won't be leaving my life.
Say won't you please, stay won't you please.
Lord won't you come and get into my life.
Lord won't you come and get into my life.
Say won't you please, stay won't you pease.
Lord, don't go.

And even when the song is over,
Where have I been?
Was it just a dream?
And though your door is always open,
Where do I begin?
May I please come in, dear?"

The song ends somewhat abruptly, the tones stil hanging in the air as Henry picks up his glass and takes another big gulp, letting out a gasp as his throat burns just slightly. "Not a bad song, right?"
Henry Adams

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:27 pm

There's a soft wuff from just over the Engineer's shoulder, drawing attention to the chimera that diverted from his little patrol to find a better place to listen to the song. Jericho had his head resting on the back of Henry's chair, ears perked and a small smile on his face while his tailtip tap-tap-tapped against a table leg.
Sure, he didn't much like Connal's boombox, but that didn't mean he didn't like music. In fact, outside good food and hanging out with his master, music was one of his favorite things. He just didn't like it loud.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Puffin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:51 pm

Niklas tried his best to keep up, having never heard the song before. He played the clarinet at a low volume, but was able to manage through it. "It's nice," he agreed with Henry after the song was over. "I play mostly Jazz, though, which is pretty great for getting two or more musicians who have never played together before to work together, since it has a lot of discernible patterns. And improvisation, of course."

He was about to begin playing something more familiar to him when he heard a noise from behind Henry's chair. It looked like they had another guest who had slipped in while they were playing. "Hallå, Jericho! Here to watch the inevitable disaster of two guys drinking and playing music together?" The chimera was a little early, though. They were both sober enough that it didn't sound too bad yet.
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Henry Adams » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:25 pm

"Woah, there. That's a person behind me." Glancing over his shoulder, he spotted the chimera, and reached over to ruffle his hair, grinning when it poofed just slightly. "You were the last one I expected to come out, Rufus aside. I suppose you liked the song too, then?"

Henry patted the seat next to him on the sofa and smiled. "Set yourself down then and grab a drink and a snack. We've got whiskey, gin, rum, beer, wine, and others, including the great French conspiracy known as Absinthe. Plus there's a billion and a half kinds of snacks on the table. Please grab something so I can have a snickerdoodle, cause I've got a really bad craving and I don't want to be rude. If you're here, will Connal be coming soon, or are you trying to out sneak me? I have to say, I could have passed for a spy in my prime. Corporate espionage is still espionage after all." Plucking the Ukulele a bit, he hummed to himself not remembering any tune in particular.

"Jazz, eh? I can get behind that. Start us off, won't you?"
Henry Adams

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:11 pm

The patchworked hybrid smirked, barking again before he shifted to make himself a bit more comfortable where he was, slouching against the back of the Engineer's chair and sitting back on his own heavy tail.
Jericho knew that Connal would show up eventually, the flame-haired Pyro always did like parties, he practically attracted the events. All he had to do was wait and go run to meet him.
"You want food, you get it yourself. I'm staying."
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Puffin » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:03 pm

"Wait, wait. Hold on a minute." There was a key part of Henry's statement that Jericho seemed to have missed. "How do you know who Rufus is? And more importantly, do you know where he is?" That was the name of the mysterious medic, and if the Engineer gave him the right answer, this little get-together might turn out more productive than he initially thought. He finished off his drink before pouring another. "The guy disappeared shortly after I arrived, and we've been looking for him for quite some time."
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Henry Adams » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:05 pm

Henry stopped in the middle of a drink. CRAAAAAAAAP...

"We found him out in the swamp, dying in a pile of hedges. Right at this moment he's probably asleep, as he has been since we brought him back for treatment. I hear he's recovering nicely, though. We pobably should have told someone sooner, but things have been a little... strained, lately."

Finishing his drink, he poured another, mixed it well, and on a side note, stuffed a brownie into his mouth. Thinking, he spoke out again. "'f jher eve' comesh out fer the part', 'e c'n tell ya a bi' more than I can."
Henry Adams

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:27 am

Jericho chirrupped softly, smirking a bit to himself at the Engineer's pause and eventual explaination.
He knew he'd smelled something familiar clinging to the man...
Well, at least the tailed Medic was being taken care of.
Sure, he didn't trust any of the BLUs as far as he could throw them, but he could throw Henry a fair distance with a little effort, so that gave the man a bit of leeway. Especially after that whole incident with Josif losing his marbles and getting run over by a train...
"Told him he was sicker than he thought, didn't listen. Stupid doctor."
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Puffin » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:41 am

Niklas set down his instrument and took a hearty swig of gin. Well, at least that answered that question. "So he's safe, at least? That's good. I never even got the chance to meet the guy face-to-face. We were going to, but got distracted by the oversized lizard that has taken up residence in the swamp." He leaned forward, his arms resting on his knees, shaking his head in frustration. "I had no idea he was dying, though. If I had known that, I would've done something immediately."

The medic couldn't help but chuckle a little at Jericho's sarcastic quip. "If he couldn't even properly diagnose himself while he was so ill that you, a non-medical professional, could tell something was seriously wrong, 'stupid doctor' just might be appropriate. Though I suppose lack of proper supplies played a role." Maybe he shouldn't judge. There was a strong possibility he wasn't getting the whole story. But even so, the whole thing was pretty incredible. Niklas was still impressed that he had managed to sneak off unnoticed.

He raised his head again at the Engineer's second comment after the man had shoved a brownie in his mouth. "I'm sorry, could you repeat that? I can't understand you with your mouth full."
Last edited by Puffin on Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Henry Adams » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:22 pm

With a deep drink of rum and a solid attempt at a swallow, Henry tried again. "Our medic, Jerr, has been keeping track of your pal's progress. If he shows up to bolster our drunken ranks, he can probably tell you a bit more than I can. Oh god those brownies are good. otherwise you can always stop by the base to check in, I guess." Smacking his lips, he returned for another brownie, this time collecting a platter of snacks to set between the little circle as he sat.

"So, I've been meaning to ask you guys. How are the conditions in the base? I want to refurbish the systems, but I think unless I walk in and immediately start repairs, I'll be shot on sight."
Henry Adams

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:20 pm

The tempting smell of chocolate approaching the little get together coaxed Jericho further out of hiding, slipping from around the chair to sniff at the platter of treats, humming appreciatively before grabbing one and flopping down under the table to nibble on his lovely chocolatey treat. He would have chowed down, but he felt like taking his time and enjoying the good food rather than taking his usual vacuum-on-legs approach.
Connal was going to love this-!
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Next

Return to In The Swamp