Not Sleeping Beauty[Open]

The swamp that is a fixture surrounding the battlefield. The swamp, like most, is quite full of trees, moss, and most notably leeches. There are some strange things that pop out of the waters; are you willing to brave into them?

Re: Not Sleeping Beauty[Open]

Postby Penultimate Pi » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:58 pm

A tad insulted at Henry's ignorance to the question, Josif regardless rushed with him to the Medic at the doors, mint sprig and canteen in hands. A bit hesitant to wander this deep into enemy terri- hang on. Enemies? So far everyone he'd met in BLU would gladly assist RED if it meant benefits to everyone. What could the Solder possibly be worried about?

Well, a lot of things, really. One just couldn't be too sure, in times like this.

In the infirmary, the RED infantryman handed the sprig back to the Engineer, but kept the canteen. He uncapped he canteen, removing the bandanna and raising the water to his lips before stopping. "You mind?" Josif asked Henry. It was his water, really.
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Henry Adams » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:06 pm

Henry waved a hand at the query. "Help yourself. Now that we're back there's some water to spare. I'm working on building a new compressor that'll pull water straight from the swamp and purify it, so soon we'll have more than we know what to do with." He put a hand on the soldiers shoulder. "Thanks for your help, today. As soon as Gerhard gives the okay, we'll go upstairs to the lounge and... discuss."
Henry Adams

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:26 pm

If he heard himself being talked about, the doctor gave no sign, his attention focused solely upon his new patient, brow furrowed and mouth set into a firm line as he gently examined the Spy.
He vaguely remembered seeing this man around before, a quiet fellow who hung back in most things not too unlike himself, but he'd never been able to get a proper look at the fellow...
"Malnourished und dehydrated, possible ear infection causing nausea und imbalance."
Deft fingers felt for the RED's pulse, pressing gently for a few moments before retreating to make room for the Medic to put his ear to the Spy's chest, listening intently for several seconds before straightening.
"Sounds like fluid in zhe lungs, possible high blood pressure. I vill need to get a few ozzer tools to be sure."
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Penultimate Pi » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:12 pm

Josif downed the canteen's water contently at Henry's wave, satisfying his thirst and quelling any possible coughing fits, for the while. The Soldier had been sure to eat and take a gel tablet before he ventured out here, so there was no hurry before the next pill. But the others would still be concerned (perhaps not the best word) if Josif stayed out too long, especially Rufus. He couldn't be here too long.

"Sounds like it'll take a while," Josif commented at the BLU medic's diagnosis, suddenly becomeing more talkative. "For recovering, I mean. I'm on a bit of a time limit, so if the Spy needs to stay, perhaps I'll leave soon."

Josif tried to be a bit vague to show that he wouldn't be leaving soon, but he wasn't sure if the two caught on.
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Henry Adams » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:16 pm

"I'm sure whatever it is can wait. Pretend all you like, but we both know the RED base is just as slow as this one. Fair bet whatever you need to rush off and do will still be waiting for you by the time we're done talking." Henry pulled a pack of toothpicks out of his bag and popped one into his mouth, chewing mindlessly.

"How's it look, doc? Think you can handle him while we have a chat?"
Henry Adams

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:30 pm

"Depends upon him und vhezzer or not he trusts mich."
He was BLU and a Medic, his patient was a RED and a Spy, he knew just how paranoid the class could be just around its own teammates and he very much did not want to get a knife in the face when he tried to take off that muddy balaclava to try and clean up the ear infection.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Penultimate Pi » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:12 pm

Josif thought Henry's attitude seemed a bit snide, but he seemed rather unpredictable and analytical, so it was hard to tell. The Soldier disregarded it and instead turned his attention to the Medic.

"A matter of trust?" Josif said, pausing to think briefly. "He doesn't have much way to resist, in this shape. If you have to, you could... maybe, cut open the mask at the ear?" A Soldier probably shouldn't be giving a professional doctor suggestions, but the Spy didn't have much choice in the matter in any case.
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Henry Adams » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:32 am

Henry paced a bit, chewing idly. "Eh, I guess we'll just have to talk here. First thing's first, we're going outside of the border. It simply needs to be done. We don't have the supplies neccessary to repair the Swamp-Rat facilities. That means we're working on both bases, all the machinery there-in, the docks and the warehouses. Furthermore, if the companies found out we were working together, and the various relationships that have been built in this cease-fire, we would all be permanently put-down. Luckily, they probably don't monitor this station, but if we're requesting the kind of materials we need, someone's going to get curious, and I'm not keen on getting a second job as a corporate assassin. Ultimately, I'd like to see both bases up and running at top performance. I'm a man who's spent his whole life with creature comforts, and I'm not letting them go that easy."

"Beyond that, I'd really like to stick a bug up the Leagues ass, and I can't think of a more beneficial way to do that then with a good old-fashioned mutiny, but that's a story for another day."
Henry Adams

Postby Penultimate Pi » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:07 am

Josif listened to Henry's sudden explanation. Very well then, talking in the infirmary it is. Josif didn't think the lounge would be that much more homey, if it was anything like RED's. Beyond that, Henry's statement's made sense: all of them, even the one about mutiny against the League. Sounded a lot like what Josif might do to E & D after being sent to this hellhole.

"And how are we getting past the border?" Josif said idly, with another sip of the canteen. Henry could be pretty indirect sometimes, but perhaps he just wanted people to fully understand.
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Henry Adams » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:18 am

"Well, that's the beauty of it all, pal." Henry unclipped a device from his belt. "This little thingamajig here is the key to it all. Y'see this thing serves two functions. One, it increases the effective respawn range. Two, it allows me to piggy-back onto any respawn system I like, BLU, RED, GRN, or whatever color is closest. Now, the range on this thing isn't enough on it's own, but coupled with another bit I've been cooking up, it'll allow us to not only fool the system, but respawn back at base as if we never left. I'll explain the whoe thing at the station, but do you think you could trust me until then? I've got five more of these babies ready for whoever tags along."
Henry Adams

Postby Penultimate Pi » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:30 am

"Sure," Josif nodded, feeling a bit rushed with all the facts thrown at him. But that last function hooked him. Respawn as if they never left? "Actually, I need to know something important. A private thing, outside. You mind?" Josif asked, shrugging a thumb at the double doors. If Henry could help him with this predicament, he'd be out of this state and back before the Administrator could start caring about it.
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Henry Adams » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:54 am

Henry's curiosity was piqued. "Yeah, sure. Whatever you need." He put a hand on the man's shoulder and proceeded through the doors into the hall. After a quick check to make sure no-one was around, he turned back to the soldier. "What is it you want me to do, kid?" He gave the soldier an solid stare and cocked his head to the side, one hand on his hip as he chewed the toothpick and the inside of his cheek.
Henry Adams

Postby Penultimate Pi » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:18 am

Josif's expression turned stone cold and serious gazing at the man with clear intent. "Something drastic had happened to my family back in my home state. I need to pay a ransom of money to some gang that's holding my son hostage," Jsif explained vaguely. It wasn't a good idea to be spilling his secrets to a BLU, but he was low on options. "But rather, I'm gonna go find that gang and fuck their shit up, to say it bluntly."

Josif took a last sip of the water, returning the empty canteen to the Engineer. "Of course, I can't simply waltz out the range of Respawn, even with your extending machine, perhaps." the Soldier added. "So I either need to find a way to stay in contact with any Respawn point here, or escape it entirely without throwing the killswitch."

"It's a lot ask for, but I hope you can help," Josif concluded. "And no, I don't know how long I'll be gone. Hopefully not longer than a week."
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Henry Adams » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:06 pm

(I freely admit that the above post was a horrible idea. It was very late and i have been forgetting to take a portion of my medication for a while, and it didn't turn out well. The capabilities of the device are too convenient and too wide-spread to be pulled out of a hat, and on looking back, there is far more potential to it if the construction of the device is a portion of the story. Please disregard the above and replace it with the following.)
-Relevant Post Deleted-

It took a moment to process this new side of the paranoid soldier. Part of him was happy to have a portion of the man's trust, another horrified at his predicament. The biggest part of him, however, was angry. He was angry at the thought of a child in danger, and at the thought of using that child to manipulate a man for, of all things, money.

"I'll do whatever I can, pal. It shouldn't be that hard to just shut down respawn until you're out of range, but you have to convince the rest of your team to let me, and once you're out, that's all there is to it. If you die out there, there's no coming back. Are you okay with that risk?"
Henry Adams

Postby Penultimate Pi » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:25 pm

Josif looked at the man surely. This Engineer, from an entirely different team, who he hardly knew at all, was being sympathetic enough to help him escape the boundaries of the RED company. Surely this would've been a miracle in anyone's eyes, just as it was to Josif's. "I'm torn enough by war already. A bit more of that in exchange for my family is a meager trade," the Soldier said decisively, a look of determination and strength in his eyes. "But sure, I'll keep myself alive. I'm a friend of a friend back home; they'll help me out. What you're doing is a huge enough sacrifice for me. Thank you."

With a hearty nod, Josif stepped back into the infirmary slowly. It was all coming together now: he get back home and see his son to safety soon enough. "Oh, but one more question," Josif remembered, spinning around in the doorway to face Henry again. "How will Respawn react to my return again?"

If at all, Josif inwardly added. Hopefully it wouldn't come to that, though.
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Henry Adams » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:34 pm

Henry beamed at the man once more, his fury lost under sympathy and care. "Well, on the return trip, you've got two options. You could walk back into range and get respawned. Hopefully by then I'll have all of the generators running and I can just flip them into active mode so it won't be entirely unpleasant. On the other hand, you can try to send me a message. Damned if I know how, but if I get it, I'll shut down your corresponding system so you can sneak back in."

Henry had to ponder this last point. "You said about a week fron when you left, right? I'll tell you what. When you get back, go to the train station in town. Have them drop off a crate of supplies marked for me. When the train rolls in, I'll be waiting. If I see the crate, I'll go do my thing. If I don't, I'll assume something happened and you had to change your plan. Sound fair?"
Henry Adams

Postby Penultimate Pi » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:51 pm

Josif listened to the Engineer's ideas. Getting out of Respawn was one thing, but getting back in was another. And the last plan sounded alright, despite the few things that could go wrong. Hopefully it would still work out.

"Sounds fair," Josif repeated in agreement. No more than a week, starting when he left extended Respawn. One week to get home, kick some ass, save his son, and return to Swamp Rat in one piece.

This was the hardest part of it all, but hell if he wasn't going to at least try.
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:18 pm

There was a gruff snort of irritation, and if anyone happened to look, they would see an extremely irritated looking Medic giving the plotting duo a cross look that would have melted steel if such a thing were physically possible. He even had his arms crossed over his chest like someone's ticked off mother.
"Henry, was ins zhe Holle do you zhink you are doing?"
Gerhard didn't bother confronting the Soldier, knowing how convincing the Engineer could be when he got going, it wasn't the RED's fault for getting caught up in whatever insane scheme the mad mechanic had whipped up. Probably made all the sense in the world...

Behind him, the Spy had been stripped from the waist up, excluding his balaclava, the suit jacket, vest and shirt folded neatly off to one side, and judging from the stethoscope around the doctor's neck and the IV inserted neatly in the Spy's elbow, Gerhard had been quite busy while Josif and Henry had been yammering.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Previous

Return to In The Swamp