Not Sleeping Beauty[Open]

The swamp that is a fixture surrounding the battlefield. The swamp, like most, is quite full of trees, moss, and most notably leeches. There are some strange things that pop out of the waters; are you willing to brave into them?

Not Sleeping Beauty[Open]

Postby Anton Markovic » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:56 pm

(*Pops head in* Ahahahaha, sorry for disappearing off the face of the earth?)

He woke up face down in mud.

He wasn't surprised, waking up in the middle of nowhere with no memory of getting there wasn't something particularly unusual for him(though it had been a few years since the last time). But instead of getting up and going on his way like normal, all he could do was roll over and stare at the sky.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, it was all wrong

Something was different this time. Something made this time so much worse, but what was it?

Wrong, wrong, wrong,wrong

His head swam. Thoughts were elusive, skirting around the edge of his consciousness, surfacing only to be obscured by the constant chant of wrong that clouded his mind.

What had happened? He remembered Halloween, the bonfire, and then.......nothing. He tried to dig deeper into his mind when a wave of nausea rolled over him, sending him scrambling up, retching into the mud he was just lying in.

There was nothing to be found here. Despite the protestations of both his mind and body, he pushed himself up and stumbled towards what he hoped was the base. Maybe they would have some answers.
Anton Markovic

Re: Not Sleeping Beauty[Open]

Postby Henry Adams » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:01 am

Henry stumbled through the swamp, only vaguely watching where he stepped as he scanned the surrounding land. I know I caught a blip from around here somewhere. There should at least be tracks, or something. The answer to his dillemma became obvious when he tripped over what appeared to be a lifeless spy in the mud.

"OHFUCK!" Digging himself out of the ground, he stood up and wiped the grime off of his jeans. With a curious eye, he studied the stranger. Not young, but not old, either. RED, beaten-down, and ragged... but still alive.

He grabbed the Spy's hand and pulled him up out of the muck, slinging an arm around his waist to support him. "Hey, stranger. You awake, or am I walking back on my own?"
Henry Adams

Postby Anton Markovic » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:58 am

The sudden shift in postition sent him reeling, his stomach threatening to try and turn itself inside-out again, and it was all he could do to grab onto the closest thing to keep himself from tipping back to the ground.

It took a few seconds for his brain to catch up with what was going on, and he could only dimly recognise that there was another human being there, holding him up and keeping him steady.

He blinked once. Then again; staring at this person with deep and searching eyes, yet completely uncomprehending.

Slowly, slowly his mind focused, away from the confusion and nausea, away from the wrongness, allowing Anton to register the words being spoken to him.

There was a hesitant nod. Was he awake? Or was this all some crazy nightmare? He wasn't sure he could tell, but whatever state he may be in he had gained enough control over his faculies that he was sure he was not in danger of passing out.

With a small push he stumbled out of the others grasp, almost faceplanting into the mud again. Thank goodness he managed to right himself before that happened.

There were so many questions he wanted to ask the man 'whoareyouwhathappenedwhyamiherewhatdayisitwhyiseverythingsowrongwrongWRONG' but all he did was stand there, looking over the person who seemed to have quite literally stumble onto him.
Anton Markovic

Postby Henry Adams » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:42 am

Henry laid a steadfast hand on the spy's shoulder watching to be sure he wasn't in danger of breathing mud anytime soon. He unhooked the canteen from his beltt, opened it, and gently closed the man's fingers around it. "Drink, pal. Stay with me." The engineer gave him a curious glance and dug a sprig of peppermint out of his bag, waving it under the nose of his disoriented discovery.

"Take deep breaths. This'll settle your stomach. Should help you focus, too. Do you know where you are? Who you are?" After a second's thought, he added, "My name is Henry. I was out here looking for you to try and bring you back safe to your base. Can you understand me?"
Henry Adams

Postby Anton Markovic » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:33 am

Anton looked at the canteen,then back up up to the man who gave it to him and handed it back to him. While he was absolutly parched and would like to get the bitter taste of vomit out of his mouth, he wasn't particularly prone to raking any sort of liquid from people, let alone an unmarked container from a stranger in a swamp.

He jolted back a bit when the man put something near his nose. When he saw it was some sort of plant, he just quirked an eyebrow. This was.....something he had not experienced, though it did seem to be working. He felt his mind come together, thoughts collecting and the annoying buzz in the back o his head started fading to the background.

Still, he stepped back a few paces, giving a nod to the man's questions, looking at 'Henry' a bit suspicioulsy. He wasn't so sure if he was ready to trust this man yet.
Anton Markovic

Postby Henry Adams » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:45 am

Henry beamed at the poor spy, glad to see the mint was doing it's job. He took a swig off the canteen, making sure his witness was payong attention, then pressed it back in his hand. "You mercenaries are all so paranoid, ya know that? There, now you know it's safe. Drink deep. I can practically feel your skin soaking in moisture. Get some fluids in you and the ache should go away soon enough." He dug through his bag again, scrounging for anything that might help. After a moment, he found what he was looking for.

"Here, have a chocolate bar. Water's always more satisfying after chocolate. It's one of those little gifts from nature. We aren't far from the docks but the BLU base is closer than the RED, and you need treatment straight off. Is that going to be a problem, or can you trust the guy who just dug your unconcious ass out of the mud to keep you safe in a ceasefire? You should take advantage of this rare time when the teams aren't at each-other's throats."
Henry Adams

Postby Anton Markovic » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:52 pm

Even with the assurance it wasn't poisoned, Anton was hesitant to take the canteen. But in the end, his thirst won over. He took a few sips, feeling like he could drink the entire canteen and then some, but over-doing it wouldn't help. He drank just enough to wash away the acrid taste in his mouth, watching Henry as the busybody searched about in his bag.

He quirked an eyebrow when the man pulled out a bar of chocolate. Did the man ever stop? All he wanted to do was get back to the base, and at the rate this was going he'd end up having tea with the queen before he left. He handed the canteen back and moved to be on his way, before this man tried to do something else.

Like that. He just looked at the man, acting as if he had just suggested putting on a tutu and robbing a bank. And in anton's mind, he might as well have. Ceasefire or not, he wasn't going to waltz into enemy territory with a person he just met, unarmed and impared. He was confused, not stupid. This man must be daft if he thought that was a good idea. He could walk himself to his base quite fine.

So he did just that, setting off towards his own base with a determined step. Of course, the moment he started moving again, his body decided it like very much where it was thanks, and the world tilted sideways, taking him with it.
Anton Markovic

Postby Henry Adams » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:48 pm

"Wooooowowowoah!" Henry barely got a hand on the man's arm before he was re-introduced to the dirt. Glad that neither of them had ended up on their ass again, he pulled the man back, then, with a quick shift of position, hefted the bony spy over his shoulders, piggy-back style. "Alright, that's the last straw. We're finding the nearest medic, and I don't care about your delicate warrior's sensibilities." He wrapped the man's arms around his neck and held them there with a firm grip, taking advantage of his Engineer training.

"If you don't care for BLU mercenaries, I can understand that, but you are a mercenary and a trained fighter. Survival should be everything, especially in a near-death situation like this. If you can't put aside your differences long enough to save your own skin, I hereby proclaim you legally insane, and by the power vested in me by the national department of shut-the-fuck-up, I'm getting you to a medic."

Henry hefted the man into a more comfortable position, and began the trek back to the base.
Henry Adams

Postby Penultimate Pi » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:56 am

[Just popping in here for no explicable reason. Feel free to acknowledge/ignore as you will.]

Against all possible indications that he shouldn't, Josif was out in the swamp again. This time, however, it was out of investigation. The uninvited visit to the corpse dig had Josif still more curious than ever, especially with Talbot's reappearance. People might still be out in the swamp, alive or otherwise, just waiting for find their team again. So with a bandanna as a facemask and a fierce determination, the Soldier set out once again low into the swamp's pale greenery in search of said people.

Instead, however, he was greeted by the scene of a BLU Engineer finding, reinvigorating and abducting one of RED team's missing Spies (whom Josif didn't recognize). And in a twist of fate, the Soldier found the BLU to look considerably like the stranger that had appeared at RED's doorstep not a few days earlier.

There would be plenty to say and/or do in this situation, but Josif did none of it here and would say/do nothing about this later. Josif simply stopped and watched. He was doing too much of this lately, the Soldier figured, but he did it anyways.
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Anton Markovic » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:57 am

The shift in postition sent his head spinning again, disorienting him until he landed with an 'oomph'(hack wheeze) on the man's back. The action jarred him enough to send another wave of nausea and why wasn't this over yet? He didn't need treatment, he needed to get back to base, he needed to know what had happened.

"fuckoff" he rasped, voice rough from both thirst and lack of use. He dug a couple bony joints into the man,trying to get him to release him. Of course, every movement increased the buzz in his head and his stomach twisted inside of him.

He supposed he could always just vomit on Henry, that would make him let go.
Anton Markovic

Postby Henry Adams » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:22 am

"Ha, said just as if that would would change my mind. When you can pull yourself away from me and make the half-hour walk back to RED base, I'll gladly let you, but for now, we're only a few minutes from BLU, and I will not have any more death than is absolutely neccessary." Henry did a double-take as he noticed a shape in the corner of his eye. It was that RED soldier. What'isface... DAMNIT, never asked his name.

After a slight internal lecture on his poor manners, he turned to face the man. "Hey, What'syerface. Maybe you can help me out here? This suicidal bastard wants to walk back to base. Poor som'bitch can't take two steps without fallin' on his face. There's a nice medic at the B.L.U. base. Guy doesn't care what side you're on, so long as he can help. Can you either convince this guy to let me take him, or help me drag him there?"
Henry Adams

Postby Penultimate Pi » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:55 pm

About that time, 11 different curses ran through the Soldier's head. None spoken, of course, but it still rose his heart rate. But wait: Help the BLU, and the BLU could tell Josif more about the plan. All the while finding an old teammate. Oh, THIS would be worth evading wellness.

Josif stood up, lowering the bandanna onto his chin to speak more clearly. "Sharp eye. Honestly, I'm kinda sick myself, but I'll help," Josif remarked with concise working. Speaking this way would agitate the respiration less. As Josif approached the two, his suspicions were confirmed. "On a condition, though," Josif suddenly added. "Henry; I'd like you to explain our plan further." The BLU Engineer was, in fact, the stranger at the door, but the RED Spy was...

A distant memory floated up Josif's mind. This Spy was the one who had first greeted him upon his arrival (Josif STILL thought he hadn't yelled THAT loud). The name escaped him, but it was the same one, despite how hard it would've been to tell.

"And, my name is Josif," the Soldier said to the pair of mercenaries.
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Anton Markovic » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:12 pm

He supposed the man was saying something, but the buzzing was getting louder and louder again and he could hardly hear himself think, let alone anyone else. This was hardly anything he should be incapacitated, he had gone through worse. But no matter how hard he tried to suppress it, it jut kept coming back with a vengence. He slumped, everything just draining the energy out of him.
Anton Markovic

Postby Henry Adams » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:31 pm

"Oy! OYYY!" Henry tapped the spy's cheek vigorously, trying to keep him awake. "Don't pass out on me, here! Don't know what might be wrong with ya, so until we rule out concussion, you have to stay alive." He turned back to Josif and began walking in the general direction of the BLU base. "Nice to formally meet you Josif. Wish it could have been under better circumstances. Look, there's a nice medic at the BLU base named Gerhard. He's a great guy. Loves everyone. The kind of guy who doesn't care who he's treating as long as they get better. If you help me get this guy there, I'll tell you all about our little expedition, and keep what few BLU mercenaries that may be roaming around from instantly shooting you. The few I've met are good people, and they trust me enough to listen before they pull a trigger."

Henry unhooked his canteen again and tossed it to the soldier. "There's a mint sprig in my back pocket. Keep him hydrated and hold the mint up to his nose if he starts to doze off, and I'll call us good. Deal?"
Henry Adams

Postby Penultimate Pi » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:20 pm

Josif listened to Henry explain what he needed help with. The other BLUs would be fine to deal with: So far, all of them Josif had met was compliant enough to not shoot him. "I've met the others, they wont attack," Josif commented briefly to Henry. Probably not best to mention that he did know Gerhard and the like, but they would give it away regardless.

Josif caught the canteen casually, repeating "Deal" to the Engineer and trailing behind him, the Spy in close range. Would the Spy remember Josif? Likely not, but it was worth a try.
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Anton Markovic » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:07 pm

The taps did rouse him a bit. The buzzing was coming in waves, ebbing away for a few precious seconds before crashing on top of him and sending his thoughts scattering. He did not move, the breif moments of clarity allowed him to realise what a futile and, as Henry stated, possible suicidal it was; and he was much too tired to attempt anything anyways.
Anton Markovic

Postby Henry Adams » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:18 pm

Henry was momentarily torn between panic and relief as the spy went dead-weight on his back. He upped his pace through the swamp and before long, the base came into view through the trees. For the first time in over twenty years, Henry said something he was sure he'd never have to again.

"MEDIIIIC!"
Henry Adams

Postby Penultimate Pi » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:47 pm

Bandanna at the mouth again, Josif followed Henry at the quickened speed, not bothering to revive the Spy. He did seem very weak, and rest would probably be better for him at this moment. At the very least, he was alive. But it would take a lot more effort to keep the man that way.

The Soldier went up alongside the Engineer as he called for the local Medic. Henry was clearly stronger than he appeared: the flimsy limbs could fool a lot of people. Of course, Josif was partly the same way: not too buff in muscle, but able to still carry large burdens. And he'd maybe have an easier time with the Spy than Henry would.

"Shall I take the Spy?" Josif offered. Henry couldn't be that stubborn, could he? Carrying over a hundred pounds of near-dead weight was harder than it looked.
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:52 pm

As if by magic, a dark head popped out of a window near the side of the base, glancing around before seeming to catch site of the party of unwell. There was a moment's pause, an adjustment of glasses, and a blue gloved hand was cupped around the doctor's mouth.
"DON'T JUST STAND ZHERE, DUMMKOMPF! GET INSIDE!"
With that, he ducked back in through the window.
He wasn't out of sight for long, popping up again at the main doors, pushing open the heavy wood and metal doors to allow passage to his teammate and the ill. He had a small medical bag at his 'feet', which was quickly grabbed up once he got the doors to stay open.
"Vell!? Get in here!"
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Henry Adams » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:03 pm

Stubborn or not, Henry clung to the spy and jogged into the base, trailing behind the medic. "He woke up nauseous and dizzy. I wasn't sure if he had a concussion or not, so I've done what I can to keep him concious and hydrated." Henry turned and beamed at the soldier, tired eyes flashing mildly. "For that we have Josif to thank. He kept track of the spy while I ran him over."

Once they were in the infirmary, Henry gently lowered the man onto the table and laid him down. "Whatdya think, doc? Is he gonna be alright?" Henry couldn't help but let the worry show through his face. He did his best to keep smiling, but his eyes were dull as he stared at the tenta-medic.
Henry Adams

Next

Return to In The Swamp