Headin' on Out (No longer on hold)

The swamp that is a fixture surrounding the battlefield. The swamp, like most, is quite full of trees, moss, and most notably leeches. There are some strange things that pop out of the waters; are you willing to brave into them?

Headin' on Out (No longer on hold)

Postby Henry Adams » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:57 pm

Henry tapped his foot in a gentle rythm against the old wood of the station platform. Another five feet and he'd be beyond the respawn border. The train came around every hour on the hour, and there was just under thirty minutes until the next one.

You folks better show up, or we'll all be knee deep in the companies bullshit before long.
Henry Adams

Re: Headin' on Out (No longer on hold)

Postby Penultimate Pi » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:56 pm

At a brisk pace, Josif left the canopy of the swamp trees to venture to the rail station. He was equipped with his Black Box, shotgun and katana, all strapped to his back by various means. The Soldier was in full uniform, wearing his battered three-star helmet, fatigues and uniform pants with the brown leather of his Mantreads. Rather than his set of decorative medals, Josif instead wore a pair of grenades on his bandolier, a strange diversion from his norm. He looked very well ready to go to war.

The infantryman walked up the platform's steps, being trailed gradually by the three allies that had agreed to come. First, to speak, Josif said, "Hope we're not late. Henry, was it?" He then offered a hand for the Engineer to shake, as if the two had never met formally.
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Connal Reid » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:07 am

Connal followed not far behind, traveling noticeably lighter than his Soldier teammate. The mask was left behind, but he was wearing the suit, even if it was half-off with the sleeves tied around his waist, showing his white t-shirt. His shotgun and fire axe were hanging on his back, but the flamethrower was left behind. Tied up in the sleeves of his suit were a couple of bottles of Red Shed, and in his pockets were a handkerchief and lighter, because he wasn't comfortable doing this while leaving fire completely behind. "This the BLU?" the Pyro asked with a frown, tactfully dropping the "bastard" he had been using during the meeting. He eyed him, wondering what the guy might have hidden on him.
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Tihun - BLU Heavy Hyena Bitch
Connal Reid
Colonel

Location: Just follow the sound of the music.//Somewhere, idk

Postby Talbot Rennigan » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:37 pm

Talbot had gone for a much less...well, heavily armed route than Josif had, just bringing along his shotgun and a combat knife tucked into his boot. His uniform was neat and orderly as always, his helmet nowhere to be seen; that was back on his bed. One of the metal strips had decided to finally snap, giving the crack a good bit more play than he was comfortable with. Leaving it didn't bother him, but going in without his shotgun did. The weapon wasn't concealed in the slightest, held at the ready out of habit. He was a little behind Connal, though still moving at a steady pace in order to keep up with this excursion party they'd put together. The old Soldier frowned, mismatched eyes narrowed at the one person not on his team--there was very little chance that this man wasn't their mysterious benefactor, as he'd dubbed him. Henry? A name already. Good. The more information on this BLU he could get, the more comfortable he would be with this. Information was a vital thing; it could shine light on some weakness that would be exploitable, or simply clear up a misunderstanding. Talbot honestly doubted that Henry had come alone for this. All common sense said that asking your enemies to help you out and then showing up unarmed (though he wasn't sure on this one. Again, information was needed. He'd have to investigate that as soon as possible.) and alone was just a dumb idea. Certainly Henry had more sense than that. There was likely some surprise BLU force waiting somewhere, and he really didn't want to be caught off guard.

"Are we sure he came alone?" he asked, directing the question more towards Josif than Henry. First things first. Pleasantries could wait for now, but knowing if there was a possibility of ambush was more important to him. Talbot stopped next to Connal, casting the Pyro a momentary glance. At the moment, they were more than a match for the BLU, but the tables could turn without warning. He might have just been being paranoid, but it was far better to be safe than sorry. Especially when they were planning on going out of respawn range. Talbot had certainly had enough with the prospect of real death, and he wasn't keen on having that looming again.
Talbot Rennigan
Recruit

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:00 am

{apparently I was supposed to post here and no one notified me, sorry about the unintentional hold up}

Trailing along behind, half-hidden in the undergrowth and doing his level best to go unseen while still keeping track of his Master, Jericho crouched and hunkered down out of sight under a clump of small bushes clustered around the bottom of a tree. He didn't trust the BLU, even though his nose told him the man was unarmed and his less-than-fantastic eyes said the man wasn't much physically. A BLU was a BLU, and until Connal said things were okay, that meant the stranger was a threat.
Still, this base wasn't like the last one, best to give the man a chance to prove his innocence before making his trachea a chew toy.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Henry Adams » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:35 am

Henry took the soldier's hand graciously and shook it vigorously.

"Glad to have you all aboard. Train comes not long from now. Should have time to get through a quick briefing." With a flourish, he gave a one-handed salute. "Henry Z. Adams, researcher of weapons and tactical equipment. Since I'm sure you're all a bunch of paranoid bastards, much like myself and everyone else in the two companies, I'll start by saying I am armed with one hand-gun, filled with a single clip of tranquilizer rounds of such power as to knock out a thoroughbred stallion, and a stun-baton in my boot. You're welcome to check me for more. Since we'll be going into town and want to prevent any local heart-attacks, I'd appreciate it if you'd conceal those weapons that you can, and leave the rest behind. Also, I like to know I can trust people. Doesn't take much to convince me, just come up here and give me a real introduction like a proper gentleman."

Henry grinned at the assembled men and put his arms behind his back in his best 'at-ease' position.

"Who wants to go first?"
Henry Adams

Postby Penultimate Pi » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:00 pm

Internally, Josif was at his best attention stance, honed by a few years of military training. Outside, though, he hadn't changed his pose beyond retracting his hand to the side. Josif had been good at doing that, paying full attention when most would assume he was starting into thoughtful space.

At the mention of concealing their weaponry, Josif pulled out a large handbag from under his fatigues, and shook it out to the size of an average duffel bag. He slowly began to neatly pack the Black Box and grenades into the main bag and side pouches, respectively. The shotgun was kept concealed under his fatigues on his back, and the katana was kept sheathed and placed aside the Black Box.

While he worked, Josif directed some attention to Talbot's question, unanswered by Henry's introduction. "I know him more than you think, helped him out in rescuing one of our teammates," the infantryman said. Ironically enough, he hadn't heard of the Spy since he was left to recover in the BLU med-bay. "He's pretty trustworthy; I wouldn't imagine he brought along anyone beyond himself."
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Connal Reid » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:55 pm

[But isn't this technically taking place before they rescued Anton? Or is it just screw timeline?]

Connal crossed his arms, unsure what he should do next but not wanting to show hesitation. If they were going to the town, then he should definitely hide his shotgun, but where? He hadn't been prepared for that. Maybe he could put it down his pant leg... but that had "bad idea" written all over it. "You can just call me Pyro. Can't trust a man who doesn't trust you, right?" If this BLU was telling the truth, then he hadn't brought anything lethal with him, and that was just crazy. Then, the redhead blinked, looking down to Josif. "Wait, what did you just say?" Who did they rescue? When? How? From what?
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Connal Reid
Colonel

Postby Penultimate Pi » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:04 pm

{Screwed timeline, Anton rescue is after Henry's visit and before this. Bad ideas on my part, sorry gentlemen.}

Josif turned to Connal now, answering his questions in order: "I said I helped rescue a RED Spy, one day ago, by bringing him to the BLU Medic, so he wouldn't die of weakness. And no, it wasn't Aime," Josif added the last part, since RED team did have two Spies. "Speaking of the Spy, how's he doing?" Josif asked, looking up at Henry.
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Henry Adams » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:58 pm

(I know 12/Talbot has a habit of forgetting to post for long periods of time, so I'ma just jump the gun this one time XP)

"I couldn't tell ya, pal. Last I saw of him, he was with Gerhard. I imagine he's better by now, but if he were wondering about you'd have a better chance of catching him than me. At least he'll decloak long enough to get a word in with his own team." Henry stepped up to the nearby wall, which was battered and rotted with age. From behind it, he pulled a cardboard box labeled "spares".

"For those of you with larger, less... sneaky, weapons, I brought this along. If you don't have anywhere else to stash them, this'll be as good a place to put 'em as anywhere. I even brought a lid, so you can take it into town, if you must, but I'd appreciate it if you kept your hands open, since we've got a fair bit of hauling to do."
Henry Adams

Postby Connal Reid » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:26 am

"That doesn't exactly narrow it down!" Connal complained, having met more than a couple Spies during his time at Swamp Rat. He tried to lower his voice as Henry moved away, frustrated that Josif didn't seem to understand how big a deal this was. "So you're sayin' that you just went and found a RED Spy dying in the swamp, and dragged his ass over to BLU's doctor? Just when the hell were you planning on telling any of us this!?" How could he? How could this Soldier, after already being given a second chance, leave an injured teammate, a Spy, alone in the enemy base? "Tell me you at least told Aime or Rufus. Or, fuck, somebody."

Unfortunately, the Pyro's mind liked to jump to the worst conclusions. When Henry returned, he looked at the box he was carrying, then back to Josif. Josif was the one that told them about this trip in the first place. Josif wanted them all to trust this stranger from BLU, even though it seemed like he and Talbot both expected to be walking into a trap. Josif had armed himself to the teeth. And Josif was the one that had taken one of their own to the enemy's Medic. It was really starting to look like the Soldier had gone traitor...
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Connal Reid
Colonel

oh god I am so screwed (again)

Postby Penultimate Pi » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:56 am

Listening to Connal's exasperated yells, Josif opened his mouth to try and reasonably explain the situation, only for nothing to come out. A thought had suddenly crossed his mind, and the Soldier was just barely aware of who's it was.

He thinks you've gone traitor.

At this, the Soldier had a hint of doubt, and as he did, he coughed violently. This chain of distractions was all the other self needed. To the outside world, Josif stood up, whirled around and blurted out, "Connal, if you don't shut your mouth this very instant, I am going to tear your legs off and beat you with them."

Too late, the real Josif recovered, eyes widening to the size of saucers. It wasn't much from the other self, but it was enough. He desperately tried to apologize, but simply couldn't form the words in time.

Oh, shit, why me? I don't deserve this...
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Talbot Rennigan » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:35 am

[I've had company over sob. And there just wasn't really a lot for Talbot to do just yet, but now there is.]

"Well, that's just pleasant." Talbot didn't look happy at all in regards to his fellow Soldier's outburst, and he half-turned to face Josif, grip tightening on his shotgun. This was really getting suspicious, and it was clear that he wasn't the only one starting to balk at the idea. Josif was far more armed than he was, but if things came to violence, as it just might if his teammate's words were any indication, he figured he could at least get a good shot in first. Besides, Josif had put his weaponry away, which boosted his chances. "You might want to calm down, Soldier. Before things get...messy." That was perhaps a bit overly threatening, but they'd find out soon enough if Josif really was a traitor. He could apologize later if he wasn't, but now wasn't the time for that.

Straightening up, he cast a glance to Connal, brow furrowing. There was one BLU here, and though he wasn't carrying anything lethal, there was still a risk from him. If things got violent, Henry would definitely need to be targeted as well as Josif, which wasn't something he was really looking forward to. Still, if it had to be done, it would be done. There wasn't much to do with it otherwise.
Talbot Rennigan
Recruit

Postby Connal Reid » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:44 pm

Nearly all lingering doubts of if Connal had been mistaken in his suspicions were erased with that threat. The Pyro seethed a moment or two, just long enough for Talbot to get his two cents in. "Too late," he remarked, through gritted teeth, before charging forward. He essentially shoulder-checked Josif with all the momentum he could build up in the short distance between the two. This was so fucked up. After all the time Josif said he spent with RED, after all the time he'd spent at Swamp Rat, why now? Trusting that the man actually holding his gun had his back, Connal didn't give the perceived traitor a chance to get up before he grabbed him by the collars and hauled him off the ground, pinning him against the half-rotted wall. "Why!?" he demanded, with a rough shake for punctuation. "The hell you sell us out for!? Is it jus' cause they got an Engineer!? Ya scared that our respawn won' be there to save your ass if you fly off the handle again!? Huh!?"
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Connal Reid
Colonel

Postby Henry Adams » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:54 pm

"Sonnuva BITCH."

After a moment to register the catastrophic chain of events that was unfolding before him, Henry reacted. With a smooth motion brought about by years of practice, he had his sidearm cocked, aimed, and fired. Two darts flew through the air, directly at the confronting pair. If his aim was true, and it hadn't failed him once yet, enough sedative to give a stallion a hang-over would soon be coursing through the veins of the pyro and the soldier he was accosting for, admittedly, understandable reason. If they were properly injected, they would soon find their muscles too limp to be of use, and their minds more than a little foggy. Luckily, though, their conciousness would not fail them.
Henry Adams

Postby Talbot Rennigan » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:20 pm

The second Henry fired, Talbot jerked around on pure reflex, bringing his shotgun to bear directly at the BLU's torso. He didn't fire, but it was fairly obvious he was more than ready to, finger on the trigger and a cold stare leveled at the Engineer. There was still some distance between them, but it was nothing that one shot couldn't cross in time. Connal's response was at least partially expected, though his words weren't--what the hell was that bit about flying off the handle? Apparently, it had happened before, and it hadn't gone very well if respawn was involved. But that was a line of thought for another time, preferably one when his teammates weren't fighting or getting shot at with tranquilizer darts. The idea of a traitor on their team was still enough to get some rage going; betraying your team was something Talbot couldn't even imagine. Not only was it heinous to the people you trusted your life to during battle, you were also slapping the company in the face, an action he really didn't want to do. RED could be a very vindictive mistress, and earning its negative attention was quite possibly the stupidest thing one could do in his eyes.

"Some explanations would be nice, Hardhat." His tone was even, contrasting with the situation so nearby. "Because...the way I see it? We REDs possibly have a turncoat, and you seem to know just what's going on there." Talbot honestl doubted that the recounted events were the extent of it. That wonderful threat had only backed up his theory, and he hadn't yet gotten a dose of whatever was in that gun. He could help Connal after he got some answers--letting Henry go at a crucial moment would just be stupid. Besides, he wasn't a Medic. He had no idea how to counteract what those darts had been carrying. Henry had said tranquilizers, but it had never hurt to be cautious. The stun baton still hadn't come into play either, and that was another thing be should be concerned about. It would be best to go about this situation calmly and with as little shooting the Engineer in the gut with a shotgun as possible. He could save his anger for later, when they were back at their own base. That was no way to get anything out of somebody.
Talbot Rennigan
Recruit

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:32 pm

There was a sharp bark from the brush, and there was a blur of scaled skin and spotted fur as Jericho burst from hiding to back up his Master. In a few quick bounds from those powerful hind legs, the chimera was at the Pyro's side, fur bristling and teeth bared at the offending Soldier. He didn't pay much attention to the Engineer, caught up in the more personal confrontation with the bipolar infantryman.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Welp, see ya.

Postby Penultimate Pi » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:09 am

Surely you've realized why they're doing? Trying to stop you. But from what, helping them?

Get... out, you bastard...

Pheh, it's not like you can help it now. You can't move, but that's just it. Only you; And with you out, I'll just stop these fools myself.

Over... my dead body!

Or rather, with your dead body. Trust me, you will be surprised, or my name isn't Xavier!

All the while, the Soldier's sedated body lay limp and lifeless, only to be claimed by Xavier moments later. A deep laughter echoed in his throat, from a voice that just couldn't be Josif's...
Last edited by Penultimate Pi on Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penultimate Pi
Captain

Postby Connal Reid » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:40 am

Connal felt a sharp pain in his side, and it took a good amount of will to ignore the instinct to grab at it. "Motherfucker..." he grumbled when he realized it felt like Josif was getting heavier and heavier. Not realizing he wasn't the only one shot with a tranq, the Pyro attempted to pull an arm back, with the intent to punch while he still could. However, the drug worked more quickly than he could have anticipated, so the second he let go with one hand, he lost his grip entirely. No longer holding up another full grown man shifted Connal's center of gravity, causing him to stumble. He teetered backward a few steps, stubbornly trying to resist the effects of the tranquilizer, before falling to his knees. "Shit..." He couldn't think of another word that would so nicely sum up his feelings about this situation. He heard the strange laughter coming from Josif as he fell forward, failing to catch himself with his hands, and was able to come up with a better word. "Fuck...!"
Connal Reid - RED Pyro
Connal Reid
Colonel

Postby Henry Adams » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:18 pm

Hearing the soldier's maniacal laugh was oddly comforting for Henry. One of the common side-effects of this type of sedation was often mild hysteria or euphoria, but something sounded off about this. Just to be safe...

Henry strode up to the now limp pair, ignoring the shotgun trained on his favorite stomach and the odd hybrid who looked more like he was about to have a heart-attack than rip his throat out, and pumped another dart into the oddly hyper-active soldier. Worst case scenario, he respawns, best case, he falls unconcious and we leave him, right?

"I'm not exactly in a position to be giving orders," He said to the last man standing, "But I'd appreciate if you kept an eye on Josif. One thing I excel at is laughter, and that didn't sound like it came from someone of his... personality. Meanwhile, I think I'll try bringing around the fire-bug. He, at least, might be clear enough to recognise when a man means no harm."

Why Henry suspected the certifiable arsonist might be the sane one in this group, was anyone's guess.
Henry Adams

Next

Return to In The Swamp