Not quite a phoenix. [Open]

The swamp that is a fixture surrounding the battlefield. The swamp, like most, is quite full of trees, moss, and most notably leeches. There are some strange things that pop out of the waters; are you willing to brave into them?

Re: Not quite a phoenix. [Open]

Postby 12 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:28 pm

12 jerked back as soon as he was released, pulling the manhandled wing in tightly to inspect the damage. That was a good number more feathers done for, he noted with a sharp exhale, and he would have to get those out and wait for new ones to grow in before he was able to try anything with his wings again. An unintentional, if not foreseen, side effect of picking a fight with a Pyro. The bird hadn't gotten up yet, instead remaining in the puddle he'd fallen into, shaking slightly and watching Madison carefully. He wasn't sure about this one, BLU or not, and injured as he was, he didn't want to take any chances. He'd already be in enough trouble, and getting into more was not on his agenda.

He curled a little closer together, gripping his collar with one pair of wingtalons almost nervously.
Lieutenant

Postby Tentacles » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:40 pm

Well. Thank god, at least she lowered the shot gun. He'd already had his head blown off one too many times this week.

Still, a meek sounding squeak bubbled up in his throat, thankfully muffled by his tightly closed jaws.

"Your team mate here decided to play junk yard dog and tried to attack me. Guess I was a little rough on his ass, I swear I was goin' to get him to your base when I was done with him."
Tentacles
Colonel

Location: Falling apart // Creeping around // BLU base // Trying not to get shot in the head

Postby Puffin » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:51 pm

Madison blinked. Yep, all bark and no bite. Well, whatever, as long as he wasn't going to get belligerent again. "Y' don' say? You sho' it wasn't a bit more complicated den dat?" She was fairly skeptical of his last remark, however. It sounded suspiciously like an excuse made by someone hastily trying to cover their own ass.

Regardless, she didn't wait for an answer. Instead walked to where 12 was laying in a heap on the ground, concerned. She knelt down next to him. "Y' okay, frien'? I know you're hurt pretty bad, but can y' tell me what happened?"
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Postby 12 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:59 pm

Up went the feathers again, and he shrank back as the Heavy came close, hiding as far as possible in his ruff. His collar was practically in a death grip now, and 12 gave a low, uncomfortable trill by means of answer. Why couldn't the questions be asked after he was back in base? He fidgeted, not quite certain if he wanted to try edging away or what. He didn't know this person, and he was done with taking risks for the month. For all he was certain of, he wasn't even cleared to speak to her, and he wasn't going to do anything without knowing.
Lieutenant

Postby Tentacles » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:08 am

"Well..." while the Heavy's attention was back on the Scout, the Pyro retrieved his ax, tapping the flat side of the blade against his leg. "I do confess I probably coulda let your friend walk, but he seemed so fucking insistent on taking my guts out..."

He twirled the ax idly, turning his back to the Heavy and the bird as he started to walk off. "Guess we're done here then, lady. Tell Gerhard I said 'allo, and that there's some serious shit on."
Tentacles
Colonel

Location: Falling apart // Creeping around // BLU base // Trying not to get shot in the head

Postby Puffin » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:21 am

The bird wasn't answering. He was shrinking away from her, or at least as much as he could without moving from the spot. No good. She would have to try later. Luckily he didn't look like he'd be in any shape to start any more fights. The other one, however...

Wait, where was he going?

She stood up when the Pyro decided he would take an early exit. "Whoa whoa whoa. How d' y' know Gerhard? And what exactly should I be tellin' him? Now? I don' even know your name, an' yer vague terms ain't gonna fix matters none."
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Postby Tentacles » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:56 am

The slippery arsonist slung the ax over his shoulder once more. A bead of toxin dripped down his forehead. "We met on the battlefield." not a total lie, after all. "We've come to an understanding is all. Wouldn't bring it up otherwise but things have gotten...strange." he licked his lips nervously, hoping that was enough of an answer for the gun toting Heavy. If not...he flexed his rubber glove around the handle of the ax.

My name is fuck you, lady! Of course, that answer would probably be unwise to say to an armed BLU. "James. And who do I have the goddamn pleasure of gettin' interrogated by?"
Tentacles
Colonel

Postby Puffin » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:06 am

"Well, I'm glad de two of you found somet'in in common, but I'd appreciate it if y' could go into more detail." He wasn't getting the hint. All she wanted was for the lizard to just tell her what was going on, then she'd go on home with the bird and leave him be.

Was he even a lizard? A frog, maybe? It was bothering her, and she wanted to ask. She wondered internally if he bled any exotic colors like her tentacled friend did. She desperately wanted to ask, but had more than a feeling that doing so would throw any attempt at diplomacy out the proverbial window.

"Aw, bullshit," she said, annoyed, to his second answer. "I ain't interrogatin' you, I'm jus' askin' you questions. De two of us might be in more similar situations den y' realize. I'm Madison, by the way." She didn't bother suggesting the nickname. No doubt he had come up with a few already on his own.
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby 12 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:40 pm

While the others had been talking, 12 had gotten up, inspecting the damage with a frown. It had gotten distinctly uncomfortable to breathe, and he grimaced at his wing for a moment before swapping the expression for a glare in James's direction. As they swapped names and some...snippy words from the Pyro's side of things, he edged over to be on the same side with his apparent teammate, though he was still a safe distance away. He was sort of glad that she had shown up and stopped anything that could've happened past that, which gave her some benefit of the doubt. She was also BLU, so she couldn't be all that bad...the RED, on the other hand, was a different story. Especially after the fight.

Nobody had told him outright to stay, and base was rather close. 12 looked towards it with a short sigh, wrinkling his nose when that one rib fought back. James was still armed, though Madison had a shotgun, and a quick once-over of possible situations that could happen convinced him quite quickly that he should stay. At least until one of them left, anyway.
Lieutenant

Postby Tentacles » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:18 pm

De two of us might be in more similar situations den y' realize.

"We...may be, Madison." he smirked knowingly to himself. "BLU base has been awfully quiet lately, hasn't it? I ain't seen many of you pansies running around lately."

The slippery arsonist rubbed his chin thoughtfully, momentarily distracted by a passing dragonfly. Fortunately he was in mixed company so its life would be spared.

"Folks still disappearing?"
Tentacles
Colonel

Postby Puffin » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:33 am

Madison ignored the insult. He was finally getting it at least. And the bird was standing up now, looking a bit more collected. Good. Perhaps now they could all hold a relatively civilized conversation. She watched James be distracted by the dragonfly. Maybe that's what he ate?

Ah, well, it didn't matter. "Somet'in' like dat," she said, cracking her knuckles. "Y' see, I'm a relatively new arrival, an' judgin' by what Gerhard has told me, we used to have a fairly substantial population. But dat's not de case any longer. According to him some folks jus' seemingly up and left." She held the shotgun by the barrel, letting the butt dangle above the ground.

"An' judgin' by what you have said, it seems like my team an' your team are in a similar boat," she paused for a moment, waving away the dragonfly with her free hand as it flew by her head. "Now, y' see, I like Gerhard, he's a nice guy, but he seems to have resigned himself t' his fate." In more ways than one, she thought to herself. "He ain't gone and looked for nobody, maybe 'cause he's hopeless, maybe 'cause he's scared."

"Eit'er way, I don' intend t' jus' sit around and hope our teams come back. I intend t' find out what happened. An' dis lil' fella," she said, motioning to the Scout, "Is de only one who's come back. Based on what he, and you, can tell me, de closer we might be t' findin' the answer t' dis predicament." She smiled. "And de sooner we find out, de sooner we can get back t' fightin' and whatnot. Besides, I don't know about you, but I'm gettin' pretty tired of dis boogeyman shit."
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Tentacles » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:33 pm

"Yeah, everybody's a little fucking antsy over at RED too. With the ceasefire and everything and the folks gon' missing. At least your guys aren't runnin' around blowing anybody's heads off...from what I've seen, of course." he scratched the back of his neck with a wince; his head still ached from his trip to Respawn, not to mention a bit of his pride.

Stupid to tell a goddamn BLU all of this, but he didn't know any other way to get the tentaMedic's attention. He gestured out to the deep swamp with the axe head. "Your Doc found something out there that was pretty fucking...enlightening." he clacked his jaws together. "We haven't been out to fetch it though, and in light of current developments...maybe it bares some, ah, investigation."

"Tell him t'stop moping in his goddamn mad scientist shit and come out to the island again."
Tentacles
Colonel

Postby Puffin » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:17 pm

"What, y' mean you guys are gettin' cabin fever already?" She considered herself lucky. Though quiet, there had been no violence at home. Not that there was anyone to be violent towards. "No, we ain't had any fightin'. It's jus' been a few of us sittin' around, twiddlin' our t'umbs."

She frowned at James' explanation. He was still being vague, insisting on seeing Gerhard. Well, looked like she'd have to play it his way a bit. "Look, I tried t' get Gerhard t' tell me about de disappearances, but I t'ink he's still tryin' t' hold on t' de idea dat de people who disappeared'll jus' show up someday." The bird was an obvious exception, an anomaly. And he had showed up in less than stellar shape, even before his little altercation, she wagered. "He ain't even doin' mad scientist shit, jus' paperwork and such."

"But maybe if I tell him dat y' asked for him specifically, he'll get offa his tentacled ass and help out." She paused again, adjusting her hat. "So how about dis. Why don' we meet back here in a few days... say, Saturday or Sunday? An' I'll bring Gerhard, and we'll go address the problem directly. And if y' decide to bring anyone along yourself, jus' make sure it ain't anyone who's gonna cause a fight. Dat way, we can take a few days t' collect ourselves and discuss it amongst ourselves, and come back wit' clearer heads." She looked at the Scout, searching for any approval.
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Tentacles » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:02 pm

"What, y' mean you guys are gettin' cabin fever already?"

"Christ lady you ain't got not fuckin' idea..."

The Heavy's plan seemed sound, and if it was just an idea of hers to lop off his head...well, he knew their Respawn was working. Who could he even bring without starting a fight? Connal seemed like a level headed choice, but that guy didn't seem to travel without the chimera following him; that thing had become a snarling wreck since the incident. He'd have to come alone.

"Fine then. Come Sunday come 'ere with the Doc." he thought for a few moments, and smirked. "Tell him to bring a shovel. Shit's gonna get real."

The slippery arsonist turned to leave. "See yah Polly, hope we get t' tussle again."
Tentacles
Colonel

Postby Puffin » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:30 pm

"Alrigh', sounds good t' me." Madison picked up her shotgun and shouldered it. "Since y' didn't specify a time, I'll assume y' mean about this time of day on Sunday." She felt accomplished. She had turned the lizard(?) from belligerent to in an agreement. God damn it, the type of animal he was supposed to be was going to bother her all week.

"Guess dat's it, den. Take care, James, don' let de gators bite." She suddenly remembered the Scout, who had barely spoken. "Unless you got anyt'in' t' add..."
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby 12 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:48 pm

12 didn't know what Madison meant by trying to 'address the problem directly', but they would cross that bridge when they got to it. So things were over, for now at least. He ruffled his feathers a bit at being called Polly, frowning again at the other hybrid. If there was some kind of mercy in the world, that nickname would not stick. The Scout didn't particularly desire a long career of bird-related nicknames, especially not that one. That one could just go die in a fire.

He glanced over at his teammate now, the sheer lack of familiarity startling. It was a given that they would get new people, but that didn't really make it any better. How many people were around that he knew? There was Jane, Gerhard, and a few other people. Madison was not on that list. This Heavy didn't seem awful, but he would still need to be cautious. Just tossing trust around had never really done much good for anything. He shook his head when she addressed him again, adjusting his wings to a more comfortable position. The one James had grabbed was not having much of that, much to his displeasure, and he eventually settled for just leaving them where they were.

"Where--Where're we goin' now...?" he asked her quietly, a little leery of whether or not he should be talking. The obvious answer was back to base, though it never hurt to double-check.
Lieutenant

Postby Puffin » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:58 pm

Madison looked back at James leaving, and back at the bird. "Home," she said, turning a bit and beginning to walk away. She stopped after a few steps, and turned back. "Come on, let's go. We should go an' get y' healed up an' cleaned up. You look like you been swimmin' in de Mississippi durin' flood season."

She waited for him to follow before heading forward in silence. She was forgetting something again. Trying to figure James' species out had distracted her. Oh, right. "You got a name, frien'?"
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby 12 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:43 pm

"G--Got a number. 12." He tapped his collar, the visibly roughed-up nameplate still bearing the hnber etched in the brass. Finally, going home. This was the best thing that had happened all day, but he was a bit too tired to be obviously happy over it. He could be all cheerful and chirp about it later when he was alone. Preferably alone in a comfortable blanket-nest on a mattress. He was more intent on what was ahead than looking around now, taking pains to ensure that he wasn't glancing over at her. Some people got creeped out by that, and he wasn't in the mood for any of that right now. "Heard your name there, so...uh. Yeah." Small talk. He was pretty bad at it.
Lieutenant

Postby Puffin » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:17 pm

"A number? Dat ain't somet'in' y' call somebody by..." Madison fell silent when he tapped his collar. She hadn't really gotten a good look at him until now, and it had completely escaped her notice. After seeing Gerhard for what he was the first time, she had wondered why hybrids existed in the first place. She had a feeling in her heart that the intentions were less than savory, but this...?

So not only did they have their bodies in danger, but their identities as well? This kid was not only mutilated, but kept as a pet? 12 was by far the worst off out of all of them. Gerhard could at least flip on his disguise, and though James was less human, he still had his identity. The bird didn't even have hands any more, she noticed with disdain.

She felt sick, but at the same time more driven to find a way for them to return to normal, Gerhard's reluctance be damned. Eager to change the subject, she turned away and picked up the pace a bit. "So, you been out here quite a while, huh? Well, lucky for you, dere ain't too many people around, so Gerhard should be able t' fix y' up real soon."
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby 12 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:08 pm

He didn't respond to the first remark, instead giving her a momentary worried look. Had he said something wrong, there? He'd introduced himself, that was all. "It's...been a few months, I think? L-lost count 'bout midway through." 12 sighed. "Was a stupid thing t' do, wanderin'." Now he was just stating the obvious, and he bit his lip, frustrated. It was quite obvious that he wasn't very well-adjusted in the social sense; that hadn't even come up in his training. As far as anybody else back there was concerned, he was just going to be a guard. "Um, how long've you been out here? I prolly missed you comin' in. For...reasons you might've guessed." The Scout didn't feel like going into the story of what had happened while he was lost, and maybe she'd just take it at that.
Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to In The Swamp