Hanging on by a thread (Needs a Doc, and a few curious eyes)

The BLU barracks lie here. The BLU logo that lies above it hangs from a nail, the sloppily painted BLU logo scraping off with age. The windows are boarded up, the nails that hold the boards there rusty from exposure. You swear you see a large spiderweb out of the corner of your eye, but can't bear to look. The floorboards creak as you move inside, and the light coating of dust compliments the cobwebs and aged wood inside. It looks like someone recently halfheartedly tried to clean up the place. They didn't do a very good job of it.

Re: Hanging on by a thread (Needs a Doc, and a few curious e

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:14 pm

The Medic stiffened, just for a moment, caught off guard since he hadn't seen 12 come in, but he quickly went back to work, a tentacle handing him a thin scalpel to pop a bubble of pus he's found down by where a person with legs would have had ankles, another limb moving in quickly with a cloth to sop up the resulting mess before it could get into any of the open sores.
"A bacterial infection, junge, very advanced. I've given him antibiotics, but he ist goingk to need painkillers und an IV to rehydrate him adn replenish some of zhe nutrients he lost to his body trying to burn out zhe infection."
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:34 pm

There was quite a few things going through Enrico's head.

One was the desire to strangle Gerhard for pretty much everything he was doing with this RED. He was wasting their supplies on the enemy. Why couldn't everyone follow company policy like back in his time? Everyone got along better, and did what they were suppose to do: fight against the opposite. In the throbbing pings of pain, the Sniper choose wisely not to engage in Medic strangulation.

Second, was the fact everything had a haze on the edges and this worried him greatly after being smacked in the head by that damn metal leg. Staggering to the door, he mumbles under his breath about getting his own damn ice. "That is if I can SEE where the damn thing! Fuck Engie... you trying to permanently blind me as well? Bad enough with mah vision already and you go and attempt to fuck me over some more? Bloody help you all turned out to be." He groans, before leaving out the medbay.

"Ya should of left me alone.." He whispers, holding his head over the swollen spot as he seeks out the refrigerator for a bag of ice for his head.

-----

A small moan escaped Rufus's throat, still out but registering pain in his tail as the drugs started to eat away at the bacterial infections slowly. His right hand flinches, before curling up into a fist and makes a single twitch. Thanks to the mask, his breathing started to return to normal levels and heart rate slightly better, but no where near back to normal yet. It would be quite a while before he'll be completely healthy... but progress was being made.
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Puffin » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:42 pm

"Aw hell Enrico, wait!" Madison made to stop the understandably upset Sniper, but he stumbled out of the room before she could get to him. Too little, too late. Especially with the head injury, it was clear he was in no mood to talk. Instead, she turned back to the others, running her fingers through her hair angrily. She had a lot she wanted to explain, and she understood why the others were upset, but hitting him over his head with a hunk of metal?

"Dammit Henry, why'd you have t' go and do dat? I know he was bein' a jerk and all, but shit! Are y' tryin t' make enemies or somet'in'?" That was the last thing they needed, was to split the team apart, even if it was just one person. Henry was an extremely intelligent man, but sometimes he just wasn't very smart.

She forced herself to take some deep breaths and calm down. She was mad, but she couldn't allow herself to get too angry. She shut her eyes tight and rubbed her temples, trying to collect her thoughts. She opened them again when she heard a soft moan from a voice she didn't recognize, and was surprised to see the RED move a little bit. Well, some good news at least. "Ger, is dere anyt'in' y' need me to do t' help?" She was eager to try and forget about the conflict for a while.
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:54 pm

Gerhard didn't even bother to look up, forcefully ignoring the (frankly irritating) Sniper as the man vacated the premises of the Infirmary, instead continuing the job of cleaning his patient's tail, draining every abscess he could find and quickly sanitizing the area to prevent further putrification. At the Heavy's offer, a tentacle popped up and pointed.
"Anozzer bottle of disinfectant, as many towels as you can carry und zhe IV stand in zhe corner, bitte. 12, vould you be so kind as to help her?"
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Henry Adams » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:20 pm

Henry stood up from re-attaching his appendage. He followed the sniper into the kitchen and cornered him against what passed for a refridgerator in the base. His voice was calm, all irritation worked out in the process of putting on and taking off the leg. "Look, I don't mean to cut you off from the pack, but you have to understand some things. Times are different now, but no matter where or when you're from, there's no excuse to turn down a man in need. Jerry is a nice guy, I'm a nice guy, 12 is a good kid, and Maddy is the sweetest girl you'll ever meet. It's in our nature to help people. I won't ask you to help us help the enemy, but at least can you understand where we're coming from and choose to not get involved? You don't have to like it, you just have to ignore it."

He grabbed the man's hand and forcibly shifted it into a hand-shake. "I think that's a fair deal, don't you? Everybody keeps to their business, and in the mean time we all just try to get along while the world goes to hell around us. Can we all work with that?"
Henry Adams

Postby 12 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:20 pm

The Heavy's display of anger did absolutely nothing for settling 12 down, and he backed up a bit to get himself back to safe distance. When Gerhard spoke to him, he jumped a tiny bit, swallowing before he replied. "I, uh, yeah? That's...not a problem." He went and retrieved some towels, scooping them up with both wings and doing his best to not drop any as he brought them back to Gerhard. This went a good bit better than he had initially thought it would, and nothing went tumbling down, much to his surprise. He wasn't particularly sure where he should put what he'd gathered, and stood there awkwardly, looking over at Madison nervously every few seconds. In any other instance, the hybrid would have already fled the room--as it was, he was needed, and he wasn't going to leave until his job had been done.

"Where d'you need these...?" He tilted his head, frowning down at the small pile of towels he'd wrangled. It was decidedly uncomfortable, and he hoped Gerhard would just tell him a spot to drop them quickly.
Lieutenant

Postby Puffin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:39 pm

Madison sighed as Henry ran out after the Sniper. Good luck buddy. Did he really think the guy was going to negotiate with the person who had just hit him over the head with a hunk of metal?
Well, whatever. It wasn't her problem, she guessed. She could see that her anger had made 12 nervous, but she wasn't in the mood to deal with him right now. The boy had to learn that people getting angry wasn't always cause for fear. He had made a lot of progress since he had first shown up, but he still had trouble in this area. It was stupid. This was all stupid. Well, it was looking like he'd have to learn by experience.
Ignoring the scout and following up on Gerhard's request, she silently searched the cabinets for a bottle of disinfectant, and upon finding one, closed the cabinet door and grabbed the IV stand, wheeling it over to the bedside. "Anyt'in' else?"
Puffin
Site Admin

Location: RED Infirmary x2 // Setting Fires in the Backyard // SPACE (really just at BLU)

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:35 pm

Being stopped while trying to hunt down an icebag, Enrico merely stares the man down with one eye opened. Glaring back, he about nearly punched Henry for what he did and then to go and force a handshake? The Sniper rips his hand away before pointing it to the engineer. "Look 'ere.. I'm just doing what I've always done! Obeying the company that put me here to begin with for a paycheck. And you go and smack me upside the head!? I was already born fucked, last thing I need is to go completely blind!" He states, before turning to the kitchen area.

"The lot of ya are lucky to take something I DON'T have and I've learned how to deal with this handicap mah whole life. I've managed to work through it on different bases, different landscapes, different faces. What good would I be if I couldn't see at all!?" He pauses and grabs an apple off the counter, holding it to Henry. "Do you know what I'd give to see this? To know what flavor it is before I bite into it instead of having to guess blindfolded without having to close mah eyes?! If I lose my vision completely, I might as well go back to bein' dead in the mud for something I don't remember how I died!"

Placing the apple back, Enrico finally goes to the fridge and pulls out several ice trays, dumping them in a bag and applying it to his throbbing head. "If you handed me a tabloid with a fancy front, what difference would it make to me if I can't tell if the girl in the picture is wearing a green or red blouse..."
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:59 pm

Gerhard merely shook his head to the question, brow furrowed in a frown of concentration as he set to work.
"I vill need to concentrate on gettingk him stabilized. If you could keep our.. Misguided Sniper from bargingk in again, I vould be most grateful."
The towels were plucked neatly from the bird-Scout's arms by a few tentacles, most set on the floor while a couple were unfolded to take the place of the TentaMedic's now-stained coat.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Postby Puffin » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:22 pm

Madison merely nodded, her energy obviously spent from the stressful situation. She set aside the IV stand, and pulled a stool close to the wall where Gerhard was working. She gave him a wide enough berth as not to disturb him, but close enough to see what was going on. "Let Henry deal wit' him," she said in response to his comment about the Kiwi. "He made his bed, and now he gets t' sleep in it." Enrico wasn't in a talking mood, anyway, but if the sniper did decide to come back in, she would be the first to boot him out.
Last edited by Puffin on Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puffin
Site Admin

Postby Henry Adams » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:32 pm

Henry softened somewhat and took the ice-pack from the obviously upset sniper. Applying it gently to his head, he tried to wrap his head around the situation. "Alright look here," he began "I don't like problems. It's part of my nature, and it's part of MY job, just like distrusting Reds is part of yours. When you come into a room with a shoot first fuck questions look on your face aimed at a dying man, it sets of my little problem-sensing instinct, and once that happens, I don't really decide what happens next. In solving the first problem, we started this second one, so now I'm trying to solve this."

Henry pulled up a stool from the island and nudged Rico into it, grabbing another for himself. "I don't hold it against you, trying to keep a Red out of our territory. It's what you're trained to do. But what I'm trained to do is react to a situation as is called for. That means that when everything is calm, I can think things through, but when shit hits the fan, I can't stop to think five steps ahead. My job is to make sure everyone is where they're supposed to be, and the situation is averted."

"Right now on this base, we can't afford to be prejudiced. The big bastard who took my leg is only one of the beasts we fight out there. We've killed one, and we've seen another now, but we don't know how many might still be out there. Any manpower we can get is to our advantage, and especially a medic, Red or Blu, is better to have healthy than incapacitated when we might need them. Until we know we're the only two groups in this swamp, we can't BE two groups. We have to be one united front of Swamp Rat mercenaries. Once all that is done, you can go right back to shooting anything that flashes Red in the groin just for funsies, but right now, we have to consider everyone's safety."

Henry pulled the ice-pack off, checking the bruise to make sure it wasn't starting to freeze up. Setting the pack on the counter, he turned back to the sniper and did his best to plead with his eyes. "Can we all get past this fiasco and focus on the bigger problem? Please?"
Henry Adams

Postby Rufus Schmitz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:31 pm

Enrico listened, not liking the situation but said nothing as Henry explained himself a bit. Once the explanation ended, the sniper groans as he touches the tender spot on his head before looking back at Henry. "Don't expect me to automatically know how everythin' here works. I'm going by what I know, back in the 60's in mah time. Not this time... fuck, I don't even know now if the rules are still the same anymore. Helping a RED? You would of been shot, stabbed, burned and hung out to dry on a pig pole for being a traitor. Team spirit was strong, very strong when I remembered back. Here and now... You guys have so many priorities screwed together, you've lost the main picture and focusing too much on small things."

He pauses, taking back the ice pack for his head. "I'll do what ya ask this time. Just remember no one's told me jack shit about everything except it's been thirty years since the last time I was here. I'm just going by what I know when this was mah turf and everyone on mah team was out for RED blood and nuthin' else."
Rufus Schmitz

Postby Gerhard Melsbach » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:55 pm

The TentaMedic frowned, but nodded, agreeing with his teammate's discretion. Madison may have been the muscle of their team, but that didn't make here any less knowledgeable about their situation and just what it entailed. So much was being hung in the balance...
Gerhard barely said two words over the course of the next several minutes, concentrated wholly upon seeing his newest patient was stable and cared for to the absolute best of his abilities as a child's general physician. With an extra side veterinary medicine, of course.
It took nearly an hour, but the stranger's injuries were cleaned and bandaged, the IV drip feeding much needed nutrients into the man's currently wasted frame while the oxygen mask was removed to keep the man from hyperventilating. He would apply anesthetic when he was certain the man wouldn't fall into a coma, until then, the half-dolphin would have to endure the pain.
Gerhard Melsbach
Site Admin

Previous

Return to BLU Base